HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DaCosta re-signed (1yr, 2-way)

Old
07-25-2012, 09:45 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
I am happy with the deal. Saw much raw talent, but can use more speed to compensate for the lack of natural size. In fact, I see him having a Kyle Wellwood type of career at his current trajectory.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Fusbolito

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
I am happy with the deal. Saw much raw talent, but can use more speed to compensate for the lack of natural size. In fact, I see him having a Kyle Wellwood type of career at his current trajectory.
I'd be happy with a Kyle Wellwood trajectory so long as he doesn't pick up Wellwood's eating habits along the way.

Fusbolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Dionysus

Potential gem.

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Rumcajs

People forget how slick he is with the puck. Rewatch some of those early games. He made some dynamite passes.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Karlstrobe
Lazer Lazar

Stop thinking Ottawa has to have a potential top 6 bottom 6, if some prospects pan out maybe just 2-4 we can have a top 9 with bottom energy line like Philly etc. I want the ability to outscore the opponent on any giving night, the defense with come with Macleans style.

Karlstrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:32 AM
sens83

I love how every prospect is top 6 projected. Sometimes people set the expectation bar too high. He needs to work on his back checking. He's late to get back into the mix when a turnover happens. This was a similar issue with K-Daugs a few years back, then the guy turned on beast mode and became one of the best PKers we had.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Great skating, great puck possession, great IQ, strong defensively.

Our most underrated prospect in terms of being overshadowed by Noesen, Puempel and the likes.

I expect him to make a lot of noise next year in bingo, get called up and surprise a lot of people.
Overstated by quite a margin, however there is nothing in his game that can't be corrected if he can/will put in the effort to get stronger and improve his conditioning significantly.

ProspectsI like Noesen and Pumpel are already bigger, stronger and as fast or faster than Da Costa.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
People forget how slick he is with the puck. Rewatch some of those early games. He made some dynamite passes.
Da Costa definitely has puck smarts, but a few flashy plays don't keep a player in the NHL.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
I've always been on the fence about Stephane. Right now, he's one of those middle six tweeners that could play as an average top 6 or average bottom 6 guy. He's got the hockey IQ and the defensive strength to go either way. He's just got to decide what type of player he's going to be, and then he needs to work to that role. Personally, I'd like to see him try to round out his game and fit into a skilled 3rd line centre role.
Considering the current group of Spezza, Turris, Smith, O'Brien and Regin, Da Costa is in very tough finding a role as a center with the Senators.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:42 AM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Considering the current group of Spezza, Turris, Smith, O'Brien and Regin, Da Costa is in very tough finding a role as a center with the Senators.
As of now, I think Da Costa may be on the way to passing Regin in that depth chart. He just needs a strong training camp and a few good NHL games under his belt. Regin will have to prove he can be better to stay ahead of Stephane. Nothing is set in stone at this point.

Just my opinion though.

L'Aveuglette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:56 AM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
In his first year as a pro he put up 36 points in 46 games in the AHL.

What exactly did you expect? That's pretty much exactly what a realistic expectation for him was.
I'm referring only to his time in Ottawa where he was beyond brutal I don't get to watch B-Sens games, so i can't really comment on the player development there.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Hutz
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
As of now, I think Da Costa may be on the way to passing Regin in that depth chart. He just needs a strong training camp and a few good NHL games under his belt. Regin will have to prove he can be better to stay ahead of Stephane. Nothing is set in stone at this point.

Just my opinion though.
The nice thing about Regin is he can play wing, too.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Hutz
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
I'm referring only to his time in Ottawa where he was beyond brutal I don't get to watch B-Sens games, so i can't really comment on the player development there.
I saw the NHL games, too, and he seemed like a smart and skilled, but undersized and inexperienced college player to me... nothing a year of experience and an off-season of size-building couldn't help. Not 100% sold on the guy, but 'beyond brutal' sounds a lot worse than what I saw.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:34 PM
george8it

Da Costa would be more effective on the wing.

Last edited by george8it: 07-26-2012 at 04:46 PM.
george8it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 04:42 PM
george8it

Quote:
Originally Posted by george8it View Post
I agree.
Quote:

Just my opinion though.
I agree.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Hutz
Classless User

Quote:
Even better, we've got options!

Old
07-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
I know we did not get to see a whole lot of Regin last year, but to say Da Costa may be ahead of him is ridiculous.
He was one of our best players at the beginning of the season, one of the few bright spots in what was an underwhelming start to the year.

Da Costa has shown some pretty epic dangles/moves but that's about it. Regin we know has the skill to be a good top 6 player, his body is the only question mark.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:34 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutz View Post
I saw the NHL games, too, and he seemed like a smart and skilled, but undersized and inexperienced college player to me... nothing a year of experience and an off-season of size-building couldn't help. Not 100% sold on the guy, but 'beyond brutal' sounds a lot worse than what I saw.
This.

He was slow to react to the pro game, but that should come in time. It's certainly possible he won't become an NHL player, but basing that judgement on 20 odd games of marginal use in his first pro season is out to lunch.

He has a better chance of being an impact (as opposed to just NHL) player than most of the other prospects in our system. If he becomes an NHLer it won't be as a third liner.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

Just my opinion though.
IMO his only chance of passing Regin on the depth chart is if Regin suffers an injury and comes off the chart.

Regin is bigger, stronger, faster, just better overall. Also remember Regin will probably be shifted to the wing, a position I don't believe Da Costa is physically able to perform currently.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 07-26-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old
07-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Just plain wrong.

In MacLean's system the winger position does a lot of the heavy physical forechecking and works the boards in the offensive zone for puck retrieval. The role takes strength and endurance, two areas Da Costa clearly needs great improvement.

MacLean understand players won't put up points every night, but he doesn't tolerate soft play for very long.

Da Costa is about as ready/capable of doing the heavy work as Butler was last season. IMO Butler and Da Costa are strikingly similar, both have offensive talent, but neither has the physical assets to play in the NHL.

IMO Da Costa is at least a year, if not two or three, away from being a real threat to make the jump to the NHL.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 07-26-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old
07-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
This.

He was slow to react to the pro game, but that should come in time. It's certainly possible he won't become an NHL player, but basing that judgement on 20 odd games of marginal use in his first pro season is out to lunch.

He has a better chance of being an impact (as opposed to just NHL) player than most of the other prospects in our system. If he becomes an NHLer it won't be as a third liner.
Based on what exactly????

Old
07-27-2012, 12:23 PM
george8it

Quote:
Just plain wrong.

In MacLean's system the winger position does a lot of the heavy physical forechecking and works the boards in the offensive zone for puck retrieval. The role takes strength and endurance, two areas Da Costa clearly needs great improvement.

MacLean understand players won't put up points every night, but he doesn't tolerate soft play for very long.

Da Costa is about as ready/capable of doing the heavy work as Butler was last season. IMO Butler and Da Costa are strikingly similar, both have offensive talent, but neither has the physical assets to play in the NHL.

IMO Da Costa is at least a year, if not two or three, away from being a real threat to make the jump to the NHL.
Can anyone say Patrick Kane?

Old
07-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellmuff96 View Post
This is a big 'meh' type deal. Unless we get struck by massive injuries he likely wont even play a game with the Sens this year
Ya keeping a good prospect on a 2-way deal is a big 'meh'

Oh wait... What could be better than this?

Thinking before posting... what's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
I love how every prospect is top 6 projected. Sometimes people set the expectation bar too high. He needs to work on his back checking. He's late to get back into the mix when a turnover happens. This was a similar issue with K-Daugs a few years back, then the guy turned on beast mode and became one of the best PKers we had.
Well the Sens do have several prospects with top-6 potential and Da Costa is certainly one of them. The problems people mention are related to his conditionning, endurance and strenght, which is probably the only thing that keeps him from being a quality NHL player. He has a skillset that many actual NHL players can only dream about. If he has enough will and determination, he will make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
Beyond brutal? Really?

Maybe you should lower your expectations a bit to get closer to reality... particulary with young college prospects in their first pro season...

Quote:
Well of course it depends on many factors, but I think that's pushing it. A fact that people quickly forgot is that Da Costa played those games at the start of last season, fresh out of College... He did play 46 games in the AHL after that... He's not a 19-20 y/o prospects, he's 23

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Can anyone say Patrick Kane?
Are you suggesting there are any similarities between Da Costa and Kane??

I sure hope not.

Old
07-28-2012, 08:52 PM
george8it

Read what the "Hockey News" sais about Patrick Kanes flaws, and it sounds very similar to what you were saying about Da Costa.