HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Salary Cap: 2012-13 Washington Capitals: Salary/Cap Hit/Contract Thread

Old
07-21-2012, 05:29 PM
sk84fun_dc

vCash: 500
Ha, and of course, the Aucoin signing information was wrong.

Aucoin signed with Toronto.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:41 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I see Sergey Kostenko signed an AHL deal with the Bears.

How does that work?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:59 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I see Sergey Kostenko signed an AHL deal with the Bears.

How does that work?
It's happened in the past where a draft pick signs an AHL only contract and sometimes in the future signs his ELC; future being same season or following season.

1) pretty sure he can be paid more this season doing it this way.; no max salary in AHL PHPA CBA, only min. Obviously, requires both sides to agree.

2) If he didnít play 10 NHL games, if he signed an NHL ELC, his contract would have slid, so it would be like signing a 4 year ELC if he signed this year (3 years plus add one.)

3) He can still sign a Caps ELC during the season. This way itís only a one year commitment for now. Caps still hold his rights via the draft.

4) The way AHL contracts are written, again, pretty sure if a rookie, itís an AHL-ECHL contract.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:04 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

I had no idea they could do that...as a draft pick. Neat.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:19 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
I had no idea they could do that...as a draft pick. Neat.
Someone else asked so I skimmed a list of draft picks, Lacroix signed an AHL deal; he never signed an NHL ELC.

I know Steckel, a first round LAK draft pick, signed an AHL only contract the year he played for Manchester (the NHL lockout year.)

Old
07-27-2012, 12:24 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Lockout year makes sense to me...but playing for the organizations farm team as a recent draft pick, while not counting towards the 50 spc count is a good deal for all involved. Glad he decided to come over.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:36 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Lockout year makes sense to me...but playing for the organizations farm team as a recent draft pick, while not counting towards the 50 spc count is a good deal for all involved. Glad he decided to come over.
Pretty sure he wouldn't count against the 50 contracts even if he signed an NHL ELC for the same reason his contract would slide, but I will double check on that.

Yes, I know it's not exactly the same as the Steckel example, I know there have been others around the NHL / AHL. Agree, this set of circumstances makes sense for this player at this time.

We discussed this scenario back when Seabrook left school and then finished his WHL eligibility; there was still a year left before his rights expired. I assumed (never had confirmation) that the Caps wanted him to play on an AHL contract for that year; then he was traded to Calgary and immediately signed his ELC.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:47 PM
sk84fun_dc

One more thought, this situation wouldn't be best for many players. I believe the combination of late round draft pick coming over from Russia and his late birthday and what it means in relation to the sliding contract, makes it make more sense in a case like this in terms of the one year salary and the flexibility for the player and organization.

While a contract sliding for a CHL player after they are playing pro does happen, see Holtby for an example, many of the contract slides are due to the player returning to juniors and for the CHL players in their non-20yo year, this wouldn't be an option in those cases unless it was their 20yo season (or the four CHL years, Langway knows that rule better than I do.)

Old
01-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Bananas

What's our cap situation like in layman's terms now that the new CBA has been agreed upon?

I know we had some space on the old cap going in but am not sure how that situation changed based on the new cap figures.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:10 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
What's our cap situation like in layman's terms now that the new CBA has been agreed upon?

I know we had some space on the old cap going in but am not sure how that situation changed based on the new cap figures.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.
Cap is unchanged for this season. 6 mil in space (prorated), give or take.

Would put them just about at the cap were everything to be the same next season (when it goes down to 64 or whatever), but they've only got 40-something committed to next season+ so overall in good shape.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 10:19 PM
sk84fun_dc

The CBA is on the NHLPA site!

See Exhibit 16-B for important dates for transition season

Tuesday, July 2 - Deadline for Qualifying Offers, which are not open for acceptance prior to July 5
Wednesday Thursday July 3 / July 4- Interview Periods for Club RFAs and UFAs (no SPCs or Offer Sheets with New Clubs)

Exhibit 16 for the transition rules, including waiver GP rules as impacted for lockout shortened season

Some of the info. like prospect rights was in the Jan 25 page document, but obviously more known in other areas now.

see page 38 for this summer's offer sheet compensation ranges

here's one that caught my eye and appears to be closing the late signing 1GP performance bonus stuff that has happened:

9.7 Games Played Bonuses for Group 1 Players. Games played bonuses may be provided to a Group 1 Player only for: (i) five (5) games played, (ii) ten (10) games played, and (iii) more than ten (10) games played. Such bonuses shall be subject to the maximum limit on the amount payable and subject to the other conditions for such bonuses, as set forth below.

Still a Dec 1 deadline for RFA signings: 11.4 Signing Deadline for Group 2 Free Agent. An SPC for a Group 2 Free Agent will be rejected and will be null and void ab initio (i.e., the Player's Free Agency and contractual status shall revert to the status he held prior to signing his SPC), if it is not signed and filed with Central Registry by 5:00 p.m. New York time on December 1 in the then current NHL Season.

The minor league salary figure for ELCs is set at a max of $70,000 for the entirety of this CBA.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 06-06-2013 at 10:43 PM.