HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

OT: It's amazing what Google caches...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2006, 08:28 PM
  #1
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,091
vCash: 500
OT: It's amazing what Google caches...

"Skoula is big, mobile, and contributes at both ends of the ice. And
he has more poise with the puck than ANY player in the NHL, bar none."


http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...3bc8973fc3cc64

guinness is offline  
Old
04-23-2006, 08:37 PM
  #2
8snake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
"Skoula is big, mobile, and contributes at both ends of the ice. And
he has more poise with the puck than ANY player in the NHL, bar none."


http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...3bc8973fc3cc64
Was that written right after the Avs won the Cup in '01? Back then Skoula was considered a future hall of famer (remember him stepping in for Bourque against Detroit). He's career is why I tell fans to wait before annointing Pitkanen and Phanuef as future 5 time Norris Winners.

8snake is offline  
Old
04-23-2006, 08:55 PM
  #3
Sadekuuro
Registered User
 
Sadekuuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake
Was that written right after the Avs won the Cup in '01? Back then Skoula was considered a future hall of famer (remember him stepping in for Bourque against Detroit).
Except the Avs never played Detroit that year...

Sadekuuro is offline  
Old
04-23-2006, 09:02 PM
  #4
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake
Was that written right after the Avs won the Cup in '01? Back then Skoula was considered a future hall of famer (remember him stepping in for Bourque against Detroit). He's career is why I tell fans to wait before annointing Pitkanen and Phanuef as future 5 time Norris Winners.
Nah, the quote I posted was one of KL's opinions on Skoula from 2002, it's a variation on the famous "puck poise" thread, although the original was a comparison between Lids and Skoula. Probably written as a tongue-in-cheek post to get a rise of everyone, but it was probably the most quoted instance in HF history, just ever since the board crash, you could never actually look it up anymore.

Tin Can would remember, as he was around then, and so would a lot of other posters from 2002, or posters that hung around the Wings newsgroup.

guinness is offline  
Old
04-23-2006, 09:04 PM
  #5
8snake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro
Except the Avs never played Detroit that year...
I know....the Det\Col series in '00 (filling in for Ray) was his coming out party so to speak. He followed that up with another good playoffs in '01 (including a great Final against the Devils). A lot of Wings fans used to compare Fischer to Skoula and feel so insecure because Skoula was a budding star and Fischer was still struggling in his development.

8snake is offline  
Old
04-23-2006, 09:09 PM
  #6
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
Nah, the quote I posted was one of KL's opinions on Skoula from 2002, it's a variation on the famous "puck poise" thread, although the original was a comparison between Lids and Skoula. Probably written as a tongue-in-cheek post to get a rise of everyone, but it was probably the most quoted instance in HF history, just ever since the board crash, you could never actually look it up anymore.

Tin Can would remember, as he was around then, and so would a lot of other posters from 2002, or posters that hung around the Wings newsgroup.
Oh yeah. I still post at the newsgroup/.
No moderators. No warning points. No bans.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline  
Old
04-23-2006, 09:51 PM
  #7
Sadekuuro
Registered User
 
Sadekuuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake
I know....the Det\Col series in '00 (filling in for Ray) was his coming out party so to speak. He followed that up with another good playoffs in '01 (including a great Final against the Devils). A lot of Wings fans used to compare Fischer to Skoula and feel so insecure because Skoula was a budding star and Fischer was still struggling in his development.
Gotcha. I think my brain has attempted to filter out all memories of the '99 and '00 series against Colorado. Traumatic experiences, you know...

I was never impressed by Skoula. He coasted along on the strength of those teams (plus he had Roy to bail him out during the moments his puck poise wasn't quite so legendary ).

Sadekuuro is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.