HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

OT: It's amazing what Google caches...

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2006, 08:28 PM
guinness
those were the days

vCash: 500
OT: It's amazing what Google caches...

"Skoula is big, mobile, and contributes at both ends of the ice. And
he has more poise with the puck than ANY player in the NHL, bar none."

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...3bc8973fc3cc64

Old
04-23-2006, 08:37 PM
8snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
"Skoula is big, mobile, and contributes at both ends of the ice. And
he has more poise with the puck than ANY player in the NHL, bar none."

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...3bc8973fc3cc64
Was that written right after the Avs won the Cup in '01? Back then Skoula was considered a future hall of famer (remember him stepping in for Bourque against Detroit). He's career is why I tell fans to wait before annointing Pitkanen and Phanuef as future 5 time Norris Winners.

Old
04-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake
Was that written right after the Avs won the Cup in '01? Back then Skoula was considered a future hall of famer (remember him stepping in for Bourque against Detroit).
Except the Avs never played Detroit that year...

Old
04-23-2006, 09:02 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Was that written right after the Avs won the Cup in '01? Back then Skoula was considered a future hall of famer (remember him stepping in for Bourque against Detroit). He's career is why I tell fans to wait before annointing Pitkanen and Phanuef as future 5 time Norris Winners.
Nah, the quote I posted was one of KL's opinions on Skoula from 2002, it's a variation on the famous "puck poise" thread, although the original was a comparison between Lids and Skoula. Probably written as a tongue-in-cheek post to get a rise of everyone, but it was probably the most quoted instance in HF history, just ever since the board crash, you could never actually look it up anymore.

Tin Can would remember, as he was around then, and so would a lot of other posters from 2002, or posters that hung around the Wings newsgroup.

Old
04-23-2006, 09:04 PM
8snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro
Except the Avs never played Detroit that year...
I know....the Det\Col series in '00 (filling in for Ray) was his coming out party so to speak. He followed that up with another good playoffs in '01 (including a great Final against the Devils). A lot of Wings fans used to compare Fischer to Skoula and feel so insecure because Skoula was a budding star and Fischer was still struggling in his development.

Old
04-23-2006, 09:09 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
Nah, the quote I posted was one of KL's opinions on Skoula from 2002, it's a variation on the famous "puck poise" thread, although the original was a comparison between Lids and Skoula. Probably written as a tongue-in-cheek post to get a rise of everyone, but it was probably the most quoted instance in HF history, just ever since the board crash, you could never actually look it up anymore.

Tin Can would remember, as he was around then, and so would a lot of other posters from 2002, or posters that hung around the Wings newsgroup.
Oh yeah. I still post at the newsgroup/.
No moderators. No warning points. No bans.

Old
04-23-2006, 09:51 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
I know....the Det\Col series in '00 (filling in for Ray) was his coming out party so to speak. He followed that up with another good playoffs in '01 (including a great Final against the Devils). A lot of Wings fans used to compare Fischer to Skoula and feel so insecure because Skoula was a budding star and Fischer was still struggling in his development.
Gotcha. I think my brain has attempted to filter out all memories of the '99 and '00 series against Colorado. Traumatic experiences, you know...

I was never impressed by Skoula. He coasted along on the strength of those teams (plus he had Roy to bail him out during the moments his puck poise wasn't quite so legendary ).

Closed Thread