HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St. Louis Blues Top Prospects #1

View Poll Results: Who's the Blues' best prospect?
Vladimir Tarasenko 47 92.16%
Jaden Schwartz 3 5.88%
Ian Cole 0 0%
Ty Rattie 0 0%
Jake Allen 0 0%
Jordan Schmaltz 0 0%
Brett Ponich 1 1.96%
Jani Hakanpaa 0 0%
Sam Kurker 0 0%
Cade Fairchild 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-27-2012, 01:39 PM
  #1
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,625
vCash: 500
St. Louis Blues Top Prospects #1

I think we're finally at that point in the offseason where we can make this thread.

Go ahead and vote, and then also comment on who you'd like to be added.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:46 PM
  #2
bishop12
Ovyously
 
bishop12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,695
vCash: 500
Everyone will vote Tara, I think, but I've gotta go with Schwartz. I think his hockey IQ, his drive..etc will ensure he'll be a long term gem.

I bet if you asked the Blues management if they had to only keep one, it would be Wartzy.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:48 PM
  #3
CarvinSigX
Meh
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Ill Side
Country: United States
Posts: 8,686
vCash: 500
Tarasenko. 8.5B

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:50 PM
  #4
SneakerPimp82
Registered User
 
SneakerPimp82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,683
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Everyone will vote Tara, I think, but I've gotta go with Schwartz. I think his hockey IQ, his drive..etc will ensure he'll be a long term gem.

I bet if you asked the Blues management if they had to only keep one, it would be Wartzy.
I'll politely disagree. I think Tarasenko is the clear answer here.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:51 PM
  #5
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,756
vCash: 50
I voted for Tarasenko, but I think the front office views Schwartz as more valuable.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:53 PM
  #6
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 21,894
vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I voted for Tarasenko, but I think the front office views Schwartz as more valuable.
Why do you say that, just curious.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:57 PM
  #7
bishop12
Ovyously
 
bishop12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Why do you say that, just curious.
Because he's awesome, high character and isn't Russian.

When did Tarasenko morph into Yakupov? He's not that good

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:04 PM
  #8
SirPaste
Registered User
 
SirPaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 7,710
vCash: 245
Not sure we really needed to have a vote for #1, probably not for #2 either.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:07 PM
  #9
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 21,894
vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Because he's awesome, high character and isn't Russian.

When did Tarasenko morph into Yakupov? He's not that good
Judging by this, you don't know much about Tarasenko.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:08 PM
  #10
CarvinSigX
Meh
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Ill Side
Country: United States
Posts: 8,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Because he's awesome, high character and isn't Russian.

When did Tarasenko morph into Yakupov? He's not that good
He was thought of as being the closest to Hall and Seguin offensively at the time of his draft, but the Russian factor really hit him hard because he was already signed for another 2 years. He possesses good speed, a great first step, an elite release, he's creative offensively, and he has always been a man among boys. Since being drafted he has been one of the best prospects in the world by captaining his country to gold in the WJC and by dominating the KHL in limited ice time in the regular season and playoffs. He has 30-30 potential written all over him...At least.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:12 PM
  #11
bishop12
Ovyously
 
bishop12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,695
vCash: 500
I know a lot about Tarasenko and he's awesome. But the way some people talk about him, I can only come to the conclusion most will be disappointed with him based on their expectations.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:22 PM
  #12
CarvinSigX
Meh
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Ill Side
Country: United States
Posts: 8,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
I know a lot about Tarasenko and he's awesome. But the way some people talk about him, I can only come to the conclusion most will be disappointed with him based on their expectations.
Just because some people think he'll be the next Ovechkin doesn't mean Schwartz is the better prospect. Both have 70 point potential, but one is much more likely to reach it even if it's only for one year. That's enough to be the most dangerous forward on the Blues...Shouldn't we be excited?

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:26 PM
  #13
MattyMo35
Moderator
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 7,816
vCash: 500
I voted Tarasenko. Best prospect that's never touched the NHL ice in my opinion. I think if you believe that Yakupov will be better this season than Tarasenko, you will be disappointed. Leading scorer on his original team, gets traded, put on the fourth line with barely over 10 minutes a game, and all he does is lead that team in playoff scoring, and rank among the best in the league despite playing an entire series less than the other leaders. The KHL is not a great league, but it's much better than the Canadian Junior leagues. Anyone who uses the phrase "because he's not Russian" to describe why one player is better than another is just absurd. The only reason Tarasenko wasn't drafted higher was because there was a fear that he would stay in the KHL his entire career. Now that he has decided to play in the NHL, and looking at the two players objectively, it's pretty clear that Tarasenko is the more skilled player. His hockey IQ is not through the roof like Schwartz, but it's not Cam Janssen either, and he's much more physically gifted than Schwartz.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:27 PM
  #14
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 21,894
vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
I know a lot about Tarasenko and he's awesome. But the way some people talk about him, I can only come to the conclusion most will be disappointed with him based on their expectations.
Tarasenko will be similar to Bobby Ryan IMO.

When you bring up that fact that he is Russian, it suggests that you don't know much about him because he doesn't have the typical Russian attitude or playing style. Tarasenko's character is extremely high and is a great leader. He doesn't like the spotlight and he won WJC gold with cracked ribs.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:34 PM
  #15
bishop12
Ovyously
 
bishop12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I voted Tarasenko. Best prospect that's never touched the NHL ice in my opinion. I think if you believe that Yakupov will be better this season than Tarasenko, you will be disappointed. Leading scorer on his original team, gets traded, put on the fourth line with barely over 10 minutes a game, and all he does is lead that team in playoff scoring, and rank among the best in the league despite playing an entire series less than the other leaders. The KHL is not a great league, but it's much better than the Canadian Junior leagues. Anyone who uses the phrase "because he's not Russian" to describe why one player is better than another is just absurd. The only reason Tarasenko wasn't drafted higher was because there was a fear that he would stay in the KHL his entire career. Now that he has decided to play in the NHL, and looking at the two players objectively, it's pretty clear that Tarasenko is the more skilled player. His hockey IQ is not through the roof like Schwartz, but it's not Cam Janssen either, and he's much more physically gifted than Schwartz.
So you contradicted yourself.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:35 PM
  #16
bishop12
Ovyously
 
bishop12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Tarasenko will be similar to Bobby Ryan IMO.

When you bring up that fact that he is Russian, it suggests that you don't know much about him because he doesn't have the typical Russian attitude or playing style. Tarasenko's character is extremely high and is a great leader. He doesn't like the spotlight and he won WJC gold with cracked ribs.
Him being russian relates to the KHL issues, not that he isn't good because he's just Russian.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:37 PM
  #17
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 21,894
vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Him being relates to the KHL issues, not that he isn't good because he's just Russian.
What?

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:55 PM
  #18
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,842
vCash: 500
Funny. I was planning on starting these polls this weekend. Feel free to do them if you really want to though. I don't know if we need to keep the polls open for 5 days though, especially the first 2 as it's going to be a landslide for Tarasenko here and then a likely landslide for Schwartz for 2nd.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:58 PM
  #19
Memento
Missourian.
 
Memento's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Country: United States
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Had to go with the Tank. You're looking at a guy who has been compared to a physically-fit Vladimir Krutov. Any team could use a player like that.

Memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:05 PM
  #20
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
There's not going to be a lot of drama in the first three guys:

1. Tarasenko
2. Schwartz
3. Rattie

Really wish we weren't including goalies in these, because either they become NHL #1s in which case they're at the very top of the list or they don't in which case they're list afterthoughts. They vary from year to year and most sit up in the top five, top ten, before inevitably sliding down the list as time passes. Within goalies-only, I think we know it's Allen and then it's completely guess-debatable between Karpowich, Binnington, Lundstrom, Tremblay.

I vote we start the next poll at #3 and put Tarasenko #1 and Schwartz #2 without needing to wait the several days to confirm the obvious.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:06 PM
  #21
MattyMo35
Moderator
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 7,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
So you contradicted yourself.
No. I said that when he was drafted, there was a fear that he would stay in the KHL, so his draft stock dropped. It had nothing to do with his physical skills as a hockey player. Now that he has decided to play in the NHL, Schwartz and Tarasenko are basically equally likely to play in the NHL. So, take that out of the conversation and look at the players objectively. In my opinion, Tarasenko is the better player now, and has the higher upside. Clearly, your opinion of the players is different.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:12 PM
  #22
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
At this point, Tarasenko is ahead of Schwartz in development. Tarasenko has a lot more force in his skating and overall game. Schwartz has incredible vision and he's a smart player but Tarasenko is more offensively dynamic at this time. When Schwartz shows he's able to better handle NHL physicality then it'll be closer (and one of those "fun" debates like who's better between Perron and Oshie because they're both Blues).

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:29 PM
  #23
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,236
vCash: 500
I have to go with Tarasenko because he's the more prepared for NHL play at the moment, and has an upside at least as good as Schwartz's.I don't know if Rattie is a LOCK for #3. Allen might be considered ahead. Rattie's got a lot of work to do to get NHL ready. I say this DESPITE having such high hopes for him that I don't want him traded away in a Bouwmeester trade I want to happen.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:08 PM
  #24
stlweir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
Robb_K, what do you like about Bouwmeester? Do you think the Blues would take on his salary?

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:17 PM
  #25
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Funny. I was planning on starting these polls this weekend. Feel free to do them if you really want to though. I don't know if we need to keep the polls open for 5 days though, especially the first 2 as it's going to be a landslide for Tarasenko here and then a likely landslide for Schwartz for 2nd.
Yeah, I figured I could close them early, if necessary. Sorry to steal your thunder though.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.