HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Semin's Future (Signs one-year, $7M deal with CAR)

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2012, 12:34 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Because leadership is a binary characteristic? If you show good leadership in one area, all of your other areas must be good as well?

Ovechkin is a leader and the captain, absolutely. He has plenty of positive characteristics. But he's also the driving force behind the Capitals players' views on practice and preparation. He's the one who has established that culture, not Semin.

It's possibly to admit flaws without condemning a player.
Sigh. You've done the typical SDF strategy of deflecting the blame. Your pinning everything on Ovechkin.

This isn't about Ovechkin. It's about the negative effect Semin has on the culture of the Capitals. The fact that his influence off the ice is all negative or neutral.

Matt Bradley summed it up pretty well.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:34 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Because leadership is a binary characteristic? If you show good leadership in one area, all of your other areas must be good as well?

Ovechkin is a leader and the captain, absolutely. He has plenty of positive characteristics. But he's also the driving force behind the Capitals players' views on practice and preparation. He's the one who has established that culture, not Semin.

It's possibly to admit flaws without condemning a player.
Is it also possible that Caps management finally said enough is enough? Is it possible that they believe Ovechkin will mature more without Semin there whispering in his ear each day?

You've heard pretty much every Caps player say that Ovy is always "all in". It's quite the opposite for #28. Not a single teammate defending him, only ex-teammates criticizing him.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:36 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Sigh. You've done the typical SDF strategy of deflecting the blame. Your pinning everything on Ovechkin.

This isn't about Ovechkin. It's about the negative effect Semin has on the culture of the Capitals. The fact that his influence off the ice is all negative or neutral.

Matt Bradley summed it up pretty well.
It really is the grade school defense. When you're singled out for being in the wrong, point to little Johnny and say "but but but he did it too".

Old
07-27-2012, 12:37 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Is it also possible that Caps management finally said enough is enough? Is it possible that they believe Ovechkin will mature more without Semin there whispering in his ear each day?

You've heard pretty much every Caps player say that Ovy is always "all in". It's quite the opposite for #28. Not a single teammate defending him, only ex-teammates criticizing him.
I have heard this, and frankly have been confused by it. If 8 is all in, then how is 28 keeping him apart from the team? I'm not saying it isn't so -- how the hell do I know either way -- but logically it's never made a ton of sense to me.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:38 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
And what exactly is that big step forward? Certainly doesn't push us any closer to a cup.
Lets be clear, you and I have no idea what impact this offseason's roster moves will have on this team.

What if the Caps make it to the 3rd round next year? That's a step forward. What if they're a Finalist in two years. BIG step forward.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:38 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
I have heard this, and frankly have been confused by it. If 8 is all in, then how is 28 keeping him apart from the team? I'm not saying it isn't so -- how the hell do I know either way -- but logically it's never made a ton of sense to me.
I believe in TEB's article, it was in reference to how teammates that used to hang out off the ice never did anymore, and Ovechkin's separation was impacted significantly by a Russian clique.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

And if letting Semin go is a small step back, but a big step forward for the future, why not wait a ****ing year to take those steps?

We have Ribeiro for a year. If we're just going to blow thi year off for a bigger step forward in the future, why ****ing give up assets for a 1 year rental perfect 2C?!

Old
07-27-2012, 12:39 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I assume you know how best friends can impact you even in subtle ways?

Old
07-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Strange that Ovechkin, the incredible leader that he is, didn't have an effect on Semin instead.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:44 PM
butters8814

I love how canes fans think they are going to win the division, because they traded for a overrated player, and got semin that only gets effort about 30 percent of the time.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:44 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Strange that Ovechkin, the incredible leader that he is, didn't have an effect on Semin instead.
Deflecting yet again.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Take it for what it's worth, but the TEB Ovechkin article named Semin as a reason for Ovechkin's distance from the rest of the team.
So now we're pinning our Captain, Alex Ovechkin's problems on Semin?

Wow.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Deflecting yet again.
Shields, Shields!!!

Old
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Semin is so carcinogenic he singlehandedly undid all the good canadian boy team building work Laich and Green were diligently doing on Ovechkin. Any real caps fan knows that.

Old
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Deflecting yet again.
Not really. The topic of my post wasn't Semin, but the hypocrisy of his critics.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:47 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Sure. But TEB and others make it sound not so subtle.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:48 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Wow.
Come on dude, just admit that's it certainly possible and if you believe TEB, Semin's had a negative impact.

You didn't see any players coming out to refute that article did you?

Old
07-27-2012, 12:49 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:

Wow.
I'm not excusing anything. Ovechkin has been a little ***** for two full years. Still, it's pretty telling that McPhee brought in a well known locker room problem and all around bad citizen in Ribeiro over Semin. We'll never know specifics, but that's pretty damning.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:49 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Shields, Shields!!!

Old
07-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
I'm not excusing anything. Ovechkin has been a little ***** for two full years. Still, it's pretty telling that McPhee brought in a well known locker room problem and all around bad citizen in Ribeiro over Semin. We'll never know specifics, but that's pretty damning.
So we're not going to pin our "locker room problems" on the "little *****" Ovechkin, who is also our captain? I mean, I'm an Ovechkin supporter, but come on... how can you blame Semin for Ovechkin's faults?

Old
07-27-2012, 12:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sure. But TEB and others make it sound not so subtle.
Well subtle is the minimum clearly. Ever work with a disgruntled worker who always complains? Easy to bring others down with the negativity. I'm sure Semin's had plenty to ***** and moan about to Ovy over the past few years. Every one of the Young Guns got a big contract and he was treated like a redheaded stepchild.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Halpysback

I wonder where people are getting this really compelling idea that Ovechkin's best friend friend leaving is suddenly gonna turn him into Stevie Y. Especially in light of that interview he gave where he stated that he felt that the skilled players on the team were unfairly singled out by the rest for not trying hard enough in their perception.

The same place I could get the idea that this gets Ovechkin pissed enough to pull a Rick Nash perhaps? I mean, if he feels the team is turning on him and Semin is a casualty of that, he might not want to stick around.

But I guess that doesn't fly right in the face of the "Joey Crabb is gonna help us run to the ECF because CHARACTER and GRIT and NO MORE CANCER" optimism.

Last edited by Halpysback: 07-27-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old
07-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Yes, the best way to fix a locker room problem is to bring in someone you perceive to be a slightly smaller locker room problem (even if his actual behavioral rap sheet is far worse).

It is pretty telling of the fact that McPhee has no clue.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:55 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Well subtle is the minimum clearly. Ever work with a disgruntled worker who always complains? Easy to bring others down with the negativity. I'm sure Semin's had plenty to ***** and moan about to Ovy over the past few years. Every one of the Young Guns got a big contract and he was treated like a redheaded stepchild.
That makes some sense, but it also makes Semin sound less like a cancer and more like a guy who got screwed. Now that you mention it, even Laich and Ward got big contracts while he got 1-year deals. I'd much rather have eased that tension by signing him for term rather than the coin we threw at those guys.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:56 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Yes, the best way to fix a locker room problem is to bring in someone you perceive to be a slightly smaller locker room problem (even if his actual behavioral rap sheet is far worse).

It is pretty telling of the fact that McPhee has no clue.
McPhee's perception might not be that Ribeiro is a slightly smaller problem.

Closed Thread