HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer Moves $e7en: Ding, Dong, the Doan is Signed! Oh Happy Day!

Old
07-27-2012, 11:43 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

vCash: 500
I really can't manage to go through another season with no playoffs. It just can't happen.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:45 AM
tmack224

Just for fun saying Grigorenko or Girgensons makes the team.

Ennis and Mcnabb for Ryan
Leopold, Leino to Nashville for a 4th round pick

Lineup

Vanek-Grigorenko-Ryan
Pominville-Hodgson-Stafford
Foligno-Ott-Tropp
Gerbe-Mccormick-Scott/Kaleta

Myers-Sekera
Erhoff-Sulzer
Regher-Weber
Brennan/Pysyk

Miller
Enroth

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:48 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
I really can't manage to go through another season with no playoffs. It just can't happen.
I'd do it if it meant we lost Ruff.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:48 AM
boots electric

I know there was interest in Belanger last offseason. Would he be worth trying to pry out of Edmonton? He'd make a decent pick-up for that 3rd-line center spot (assuming his play hasn't completely bottomed out...I haven't watched him in a while)

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:00 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
What about Nashville as a trade partner now? They have come out stating a desire to get a top four d-man, with only five d-men under contract. They have several quality centers on their roster.

Legwand - (78 gms, 19g-34a-53 pts) two years left at a 4.5 mil cap hit
Fisher - (72 gms, 24-27-51) one year, 4.2
Gaustad - (70 gms, 7-14-21) four years, 3.25
Colin Wilson - (68 gms, 15-20-35) three years, 2.0, will still be RFA
Craig Smith - (72 gms, 14-22-36) one year, .715, will still be RFA

I think from both teams' perspectives, Legwand would be the player to trade. I'd like to think Leopold, Pardy (for depth and reaching the cap floor), and a draft pick would be enough, but Sekera might be the player Nashville would insist on. Any thoughts?
There was a thread on the main board a little while back where a couple Preds fans approved of a Legwand-Leopold deal. I'd definitely be down for it.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:21 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
There was a thread on the main board a little while back where a couple Preds fans approved of a Legwand-Leopold deal. I'd definitely be down for it.
Whoa. That would be great.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Hop on the Canucks bandwagon if this happens! (shameless advertising)

On a more serious note, I would just hope for an Ottawa-like season. Let the young guns play, and if we get into the playoffs, then that's gravy.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:51 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I'd have no issue with signing Hecht in that capacity if he proves to be healthy -- maybe the Sabres invite him to training camp before offering a contract to see were he's at physically?
The thing that gets me about swapping Vanek for Marleau is that, imo, it's just as important to Hodgson's development that he have a quality scoring winger to play with as it is that we have enough depth at center that there isn't too much pressure on him. I'd have to assume Marleau would be used in a two-way capacity, which would likely mean he'd get more time with Pommer than Hodgson would, which would leave Hodgson's linemate options as Adam, Tropp, Ott, Leino...2 other youngsters, a guy who's underperformed, and a guy that just isn't that much of a goal-scorer.
I suggested Hecht as the backup plan a while back...but it all depends on his health. Hecht is a guy you could sign even halfway through training camp if the G-men dont look ready--Jochen knows the team, he knows the system, etc.

Ott-Hodgson-Vanek
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Hecht-Pominville

You could do worse than Hecht in that spot. Way worse.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
How about we stop making trades to adjust organizational depth and start making hockey trades. Marleau is not a step forward, it's opening a huge hole while filling another.
That depends on what is being traded for Marleau. Dealing the best goal scorer on the team like Vanek for Marleau cetainly would be a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. However, if Marleau (or another top 6 forward) can be obtained for assets and/or surplus depth on defense, it would be a "hockey trade" IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:05 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

How is adjusting organizational depth not a hockey trade? We have two NHL centers (maybe 1) and 8 NHL defensemen. You can't play a hockey game with 8 defensemen, so if it gives us a hockey roster, it's a hockey trade.

Old
07-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Get rid of our best scorer? Hey, it worked for Columbus.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:24 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Get rid of our best scorer? Hey, it worked for Columbus.
They did it, doesn't mean it worked. And CBJ is the last organization to follow. Maybe you were being sarcastic...

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:25 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

On the ever-popular subject of veteran third line defensive centers............

Jochen?

Also: Langkow? 35 yo, kills penalties, puts up 30 points.

Both guys UFAs. I would give Langkow a 2 year offer, although I'm sure he's looking for more. If he gets beat out by one of the G's, great, that gives us four NHL centers, and injuries are going to happen sooner or later.

The more I think about it, the more it seems clear we need to get a veteran guy in there to model the defensive aspects of playing center. We've got two guys who can maybe play center at the NHL level, but neither of them has a complete grasp on the defensive side of the position. It's maybe the most demanding position to learn. Having nobody in the organization who can do it might be bad not just for this year, but for the youngin's development.

Also, maybe if you sign Langkow, Doan has another reason to come here.

Last edited by haseoke39: 07-27-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old
07-27-2012, 02:32 PM
McTank

I really dont think we need to worry about missing the playoffs. If this roster stays healthy I am certain we will be in.

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Hop on the Canucks bandwagon if this happens! (shameless advertising)

On a more serious note, I would just hope for an Ottawa-like season. Let the young guns play, and if we get into the playoffs, then that's gravy.
That's what I would like, but we don't have a player like Spezza. All our vets are on the wings, our centers are so young.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
On the ever-popular subject of veteran third line defensive centers............

Jochen?

Also: Langkow? 35 yo, kills penalties, puts up 30 points.

Both guys UFAs. I would give Langkow a 2 year offer, although I'm sure he's looking for more. If he gets beat out by one of the G's, great, that gives us four NHL centers, and injuries are going to happen sooner or later.

The more I think about it, the more it seems clear we need to get a veteran guy in there to model the defensive aspects of playing center. We've got two guys who can maybe play center at the NHL level, but neither of them has a complete grasp on the defensive side of the position. It's maybe the most demanding position to learn. Having nobody in the organization who can do it might be bad not just for this year, but for the youngin's development.
Tell Doan we'll sign his teammate Langkow if he comes to Buffalo.

Hecht would appear to be one of the better options still out there but you just can't count on him for more than 40 games. I'd rather we have a full season addition.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:34 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

It's not like Marleau isn't that good a goal scorer in his own right. Marleau is a consistent 30 goal scorer.

To me, it's basically moving Vanek's production from wing to center, while simultaneously continuing to shake up the core. Contracts are pretty much a wash, and Marleau gives some insurance as a center who can take top opposition while our young guys continue to develop.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1237
How is Jochen's head? I haven't heard anything about him in awhile.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:38 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I really dont think we need to worry about missing the playoffs. If this roster stays healthy I am certain we will be in.
Well, we took a roster that missed the playoffs last season and subtracted the top center for a third line winger. So yeah, it's exceedingly possible we miss it again.

Old
07-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Bosswally

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
How is Jochen's head? I haven't heard anything about him in awhile.
if i had to guess not too good, he just had too many concussions what did he have 3 last year and another the year before

Bosswally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:43 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Well, we took a roster that missed the playoffs last season and subtracted the top center for a third line winger. So yeah, it's exceedingly possible we miss it again.
If injuries strike like last year and Miller gets another concussion, I agree, things will look bleak.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:51 PM
McTank

Quote:
Well the top center got like 40 points last year so we really arent losing any offense if you wanna compare us to last season. So thats a wash given ott will produce close to what roy did while being more physical. We've also added Cody Hodgson. Just having miller healthy a whole season will make a bug enough of a differense without even considerin all the other injuries. Oh and it might help if leino got more then 20 points.

Old
07-27-2012, 03:02 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Yeah, but maybe Tyler Ennis can't handle a full season at center and Cody Hodgson is at best a #2, Foligno goes back to Rochester after a 20 game stint on the fourth line, there are 2-3 major injuries, Ville Leino gives us nothing, Ott plays like a third liner, Pominville takes a step back from the best year of his career and Miller plays a full season but he plays it like he played the first half of last year.

I mean, I think it's more likely than not that we make the playoffs, but it's definitely on the bubble.

Old
07-27-2012, 03:08 PM
McTank

Quote:
Yeah, but maybe Tyler Ennis can't handle a full season at center and Cody Hodgson is at best a #2, Foligno goes back to Rochester after a 20 game stint on the fourth line, there are 2-3 major injuries, Ville Leino gives us nothing, Ott plays like a third liner, Pominville takes a step back from the best year of his career and Miller plays a full season but he plays it like he played the first half of last year.

I mean, I think it's more likely than not that we make the playoffs, but it's definitely on the bubble.
Well if that series of unfortunate events happens I will give you credit. I agree we wont be near the top but I dont think we'll be fighting like we did this year. 6th place is my prediction

Old
07-27-2012, 04:41 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

I was just thinking that I cant see Pegula striking out on every single move this offseason.

Jordan Staal, Parise/Suter, Doan, and Ryan are moves we know they wanted to make. No way they strike out the offseason.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote