HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Talk (Part XIV): Semin to Carolina; Doan still thinking

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Bardof425*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Appreciate those defending Boyle. So many people who follow the Rangers just jump to the notion that if a big guy doesn't play overly physical (even though Boyle is somewhat physical) or fight all of the time then they get bashed.

Fortunately Torts loves him and he's the most important guy in this situation. And he knows better than everyone on this forum. The guy brings aspects to the team that other players don't. Not to mention he's great in the lockerroom which is unbelievably underrated in all sports.
All true. All that can remain in place while he centers our 4th line.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You and your pesky statistics.

Dont you know this guy saw Brian Boyle not be able to keep the puck in the offensive zone? Isnt that enough for you?
There are so many reasons why those stats exist, means nothing

Old
07-27-2012, 12:32 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
There are so many reasons why those stats exist, means nothing
Means nothing when it contradicts your argument.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:33 PM
OverTheCap

To expand on what Blueshirt Believer said, Stoll is usually a 40-45 point player and scores around 16 goals a year. Last year was probably an anomaly due to the fact that LA was one of the worst offensive teams in the league in the regular season. Stoll is generally a better offensive player than Boyle, last season being the exception.

I don't mind Boyle as much as some others, but I would feel more comfortable if he was on the 4th line. Obviously Torts doesn't agree so it's a moot point. But there are lots of stretches where Boyle plays more like a 4th liner than a 3rd liner. Boyle played like a really good 3rd liner towards the end of the season and into the playoffs. He needs to play like that more frequently.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
jeese... How about We Need an All Star at All Positions!!!
Leave Boyle alone... Our 3C has not been a problem, our top6 were last season as primary scoring was subpar. Halpern is a good stop gap for 3C.
This team looks good on paper, no need to continue shopping.
Our problem was scoring. Having a 3rd line center that can create offense is something we really need. BB is not that guy.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

im a big fan of Kolariks game...if a spot was open, id have zero problem playing him regular 4th line mins.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Or the fact that Boyle is better defensively, more physical and outscored Stoll. The only thing Stoll has on Boyle at this point is a shot.
FACEOFFS!!! And Stoll has outscored Boyle by a wide margin throughout their careers. How can you say he's better defensively when you only know how one of the two players performs?

Old
07-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
So what is it about the New York Rangers that gives them the unique quality of not being able to win a Stanley Cup with Brian Boyle as their 3rd line center.

I can't wait to hear this.
Not unique. Remember LA almost didn't make the playoffs with a 3rd line center that didn't score at all. Once the playoffs started they were exceptional defensively and scored many timely goals. They are the exception; not the rule.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:42 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
FACEOFFS!!! And Stoll has outscored Boyle by a wide margin throughout their careers. How can you say he's better defensively when you only know how one of the two players performs?
You not seriously assuming that I only watch the Rangers...right?

Old
07-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

watching game 7 of the ottawa series on my dvr. surprised we let feds go. i'm not a big feds fan, but losing prust, anisimov, dubinsky, AND feds is gonna be an adjustment. should overall be an improvement though with nash and kreider on board. definitely upped our bottom 6 offense. going to be interesting how the defensive style adjusts.

also funny to see every single center cheating a face-off and every puck drop we have our center pushing their center's foot out over the line.

going to miss dubi the most. notice him every time he's on the ice.

also... dis announcer :\ they need to split the announcers or give the home team's. cause bias is too obvs

Old
07-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Means nothing when it contradicts your argument.
N, it means nothing because you can have a lot of shifts ending with the puck in the offensive zone because you spend most of your shifts chasing the puck (like Boyle's line), eventually get it and dump and change. Or because you spend alot of time battling along the boards and either take a weak shot or force a faceoff and then change because the coach wants more offensive players on the ice for the offensive draw.

Is this stat supposed to show territorial advantage created by Brian Boyle? If so, that is hilarious.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
You not seriously assuming that I only watch the Rangers...right?
I am not but I assume that your sample of Mr. Boyle is much greater than Mr. Stoll who was great in the playoffs for the Kings. There's no comparison between the players aside from the role they are asked to play.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Brian Boyle is an elite 4th liner, a good 3rd liner, a crappy 2nd liner, and a putrid 1st liner.

so your preference is to put him on the 4th line, but he's just fine on the 3rd. the problem i have is when he ends up getting more minutes than a guy like Stepan who is the better player.

a 3rd line of something like....Doan - Boyle - Callahan could absolutely wreck out there. hitting everything that moves, good size, straight ahead north american hockey, and defensively responsible enough to play against other teams top lines night in and night out. that would be the ideal situation imho.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:52 PM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Whether people like it or now, Brian Boyle was last years 3rd line center. He is solid in his own zone and he is difficult to play against. He plays 10-12 minutes a night most of the time.

All I was asking for was a player to play 3/4C who could provide a little bit more offense while lacking a little bit more on the defensive side. Halpern, while good on face-offs, is not that player.
I don't see what the issue is. We've got space. Are people actually saying that Arnott is worse than Halpern?

Old
07-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Brian Boyle is an elite 4th liner, a good 3rd liner, a crappy 2nd liner, and a putrid 1st liner.

so your preference is to put him on the 4th line, but he's just fine on the 3rd. the problem i have is when he ends up getting more minutes than a guy like Stepan who is the better player.

a 3rd line of something like....Doan - Boyle - Callahan could absolutely wreck out there. hitting everything that moves, good size, straight ahead north american hockey, and defensively responsible enough to play against other teams top lines night in and night out. that would be the ideal situation imho.
I agree, but he's a luxury for us now, and I wouldn't offer anything over 2 years, and from reports, he won't take less than 3.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:54 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Once again, Boyle semi-hijacks a thread.

Everybody who covers the team seems to think the Rangers are not done. Whether it be depth on the flanks, up the middle or in the back end, Sather would only help the team by adding a couple of guys.

Guys go through drouths. Players get benched. People get injured. Pressure starts to mount.

I'm sure there will be plenty of Boyle threads -- good and bad -- throughout the season. Seems like the norm around here.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
I haven't heard anyone who covers the team suggest they are looking for another center.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I want him to check from the 4th line. He will get too much ice time if he centers the 3rd line. And I disagree if a player is in the center slot he should have some ability to distribute the puck. Not asking much here. If he gets 7 - 8 ES minutes then he can stink at passing the puck and become a human shot blocker. But I think Torts intends to use him more than that and to that I object.
So you'd advocate bringing in a guy that is equal to or less than Brian Boyle just because hes not Brian Boyle?

In order to make make an argument against Boyle, you need to list some options and what your expectations are for a 3rd line player.

Because, if your expectations are what I think they are, its pretty incredible that you havent learned anything regarding a hockey lineup with your 20 years of season tickets.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:02 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
I am not but I assume that your sample of Mr. Boyle is much greater than Mr. Stoll who was great in the playoffs for the Kings. There's no comparison between the players aside from the role they are asked to play.
Yet Boyle outscored him in 3 less games.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:05 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Now that another poster has mentioned it, we lost a lot of depth that made us what we were. Next season should be interesting.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
So you'd advocate bringing in a guy that is equal to or less than Brian Boyle just because hes not Brian Boyle?

In order to make make an argument against Boyle, you need to list some options and what your expectations are for a 3rd line player.

Because, if your expectations are what I think they are, its pretty incredible that you havent learned anything regarding a hockey lineup with your 20 years of season tickets.
They should make me feel: and never:

They should be better offensively, though not necessarily score more.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:13 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

I have a really strong forward that some prospect/tryout/unknown is going to come out of no where and make the team. It happens every year, there's always someone no one expects to be ready to make the team out of camp. Just off the top of my head, Stepan and Del Zotto made it right out of camp out of no where. Hagelin probably could have played in the NHL all season last year, but we had the depth where we didn't need him to.

It would not come as a surprise if some prospect beat out a veteran for a 3rd line spot (especially with Gaborik's injury), be it Yogan or Thomas or JT or Hrivik or whoever.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:22 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Once again, Boyle semi-hijacks a thread.

Everybody who covers the team seems to think the Rangers are not done. Whether it be depth on the flanks, up the middle or in the back end, Sather would only help the team by adding a couple of guys.

Guys go through drouths. Players get benched. People get injured. Pressure starts to mount.

I'm sure there will be plenty of Boyle threads -- good and bad -- throughout the season. Seems like the norm around here.
Sather said as much at the end of one of his phone interviews after the trade was first made. Something along the lines of: We're still going to be talking to people we're interested in.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Sather said as much at the end of one of his phone interviews after the trade was first made. Something along the lines of: We're still going to be talking to people we're interested in.
And I think its pretty clear hes looking at Shane Doan and a couple other options on defense. If Sather was scared of Boyle playing 3rd line center, he wouldnt have included Anisimov in the Nash deal.

He probably also realizes, thankfully, that the Jason Arnott's and Dominic Moore's of the world are not an upgrade over Brian Boyle.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

So, uh, does anybody have an update with what's going on with MDZ?

Closed Thread