HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enstrom re-signs 5 year, 28.75 million contract extension (Beginning 2013-2014)

Old
07-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Jetsfan204*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Do people actually watch the Jets play. The opposition's plan when Enstron and Buff are on the ice is to dump into Enstrom's corner. The guy is weak in the corners and the other team knows it. It is just something he has to deal with. I would say Buff when he isn't being stupid offensively is a much better defensive player on the virtue of his size then Enstrom is. That is when he isn't being stupid
Toby was +6, while buff was -8 and he had 20 more points than him. When isn't buff playing stupid offensively? I don't think he even knows what position hes playing..

Jetsfan204* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
I think Chevy has had a successful offseason, I am very pleased right now. We have locked up valuable pieces to our core, next offseason it will be time to lock up Bogosian, Wheeler and Little (Burmistrov too).

I feel our core and foundation is well in place. Next up we must see improvements and playoff appearances and within all of this it will be Chevy's job to truly make this core a contender.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:19 PM
SCP Guy

Good to see he wants to be part of what TN has become and will grow into....welcome to Winnipeg for the long haul Toby!!!!

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

And this is why everyone in Atlanta left, no commitment from ownership.

Players want to have owners who care about winning and will do whatever it takes which TNSE is modeling.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Nothing Is New

Far-sighted move. The market for good D-men has risen dramatically and anything under $6M is a steal. With Enstrom you can either continue to enjoy the random variable luxury known as 'Buff' and/or carry on Bogo's positive development.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:24 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
YES! YES! YES!

So happy! Our best player locked up (hopefully) long term! Now we need to pair him with Bogosian and allow him to actually play his game instead of always having to cover up for Byfuglien's defensive gaffes.
Are you going to apologize to Chevy now

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Inflict
Viking

Almost jumped out of my chair when I saw this on TSN.ca! Very excited to have him locked up for 6 years. Even though he is small, he is the kind of guy who will take a hit to make a play. He always makes the smart pass, rarely turns the puck over under pressure and is one of the top 10 offensive D-men in the league. Thank you Chevy!

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:32 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

I wonder how this impacts Bogo extending. He's not going to want to being on the 2nd PP unit forever.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:33 PM
flyingjay

Thrilled we avoided a Suter debacle. Chevy sure is proving himself. Very very happy about this.

flyingjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
#FreeHutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
I wonder how this impacts Bogo extending. He's not going to want to being on the 2nd PP unit forever.
How? Bogo's forte isn't on the PP.

He's solid on the second unit, but there aren't too many teams where he would step in and be an automatic first unit guy. His value is primarily 5 on 5.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Vander Teemuchuk

Woooohooooo! Chevy continues to address the burning needs this off-season. Wrap up the Kane thing and then browse through the training cap fodder of others to get a depth D-man.

I wonder what Hainsey's value is right now. A trade packaging him and a prospect / pick might get us a dependable stay at home guy? I like Hainsey but the analysis done in the other thread demonstrates that we need a stay-at-home guy who The Ron is still transitioning into.

Vander Teemuchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 850
Not the biggest Enstrom fan admittedly, but the cool thing in my view is that veterans apparently have enough confidence in both the organization and the market to re-sign here, so cool.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:37 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

5 year deal
30mm is now my guess

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post

He's solid on the second unit, but there aren't too many teams where he would step in and be an automatic first unit guy. His value is primarily 5 on 5.
Maybe not yet, but I certainly think as soon as this season and beyond that Bogosian could be a legitimate #1 PP guy. His skating and shot are top notch. Bogo has all of the offensive tools needed in my opinion to be a great offensive contributor. When he was drafted his offense, skating and physical game were his #1 tools.

It's going to be really disappointing if we don't give Bogosian prime offensive opportunities. I'm not worried though, I still feel he's naturally too good not to earn and receive those offensive opportunities.

Old
07-27-2012, 02:41 PM
flyingjay

I'm gonna guess 32.5 mill.

flyingjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:41 PM
jimmycrackcorn

Very happy with this news. Enstrom is a valuable part of our team.

Imagine that - players re-signing in Winnipeg instead of waiting for free agency - guys that actually want to be here. To me that is the most positive aspect of some of the signings this summer.

jimmycrackcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:42 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post

At age 21, you think that's it for Bogo? Sorry. That skating, that shot...that belong on a #1 PP unit...for sure when he's developed a bit more.

Old
07-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Bogo's going to need to be put in those situations as to make sure his game doesn't completely transfer to a defensive d-man.

Early in his career he could move the puck and bring it up the ice better than most in his position and had a cannon of a shot. Later his shot tailed off and rarely if ever hit the target and he seemed to lack the confidence he once had to carry it up.

But like I said, he has a true offensive touch and it needs to be a priority in his development.

Old
07-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Bogo's going to need to be put in those situations as to make sure his game doesn't completely transfer to a defensive d-man.

Early in his career he could move the puck and bring it up the ice better than most in his position and had a cannon of a shot. Later his shot tailed off and rarely if ever hit the target and he seemed to lack the confidence he once had to carry it up.

But like I said, he has a true offensive touch and it needs to be a priority in his development.
Exactly, Lynk. I too feel he will need to be put into those key and prime offensive situations in order for his offensive game to maximize it's potential. There is a touch of fear in me that if Bogosian continues on simply being a shutdown guy and more so than less defensive guy, he may lose touch with what was at one time an extremely good offensive game.

But again, his skating, his shot, etc. are all natural, God given talents, and those tools indicate to me he will indeed be a force offensively sooner rather than later. Surely the team knows and can see this.

Old
07-27-2012, 02:49 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Exactly, Lynk. I too feel he will need to be put into those key and prime offensive situations in order for his offensive game to maximize it's potential. There is a touch of fear in me that if Bogosian continues on simply being a shutdown guy and more so than less defensive guy, he may lose touch with what was at one time an extremely good offensive game.
Or he could refuse to sign with the Jets knowing he'll never get a shot at being put in those situations.

Old
07-27-2012, 02:51 PM
almostawake

Whatever Enstrom's flaws are, there aren't a whole lot of defencemen in the NHL that have proven they can play the minutes he can in a top pairing role. And those that can rarely become available by FA or trade. This is a deal Chevy simply had to get done.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

It just seems so painfully obvious that Bogo could be on the 1st unit.

Place Byfuglien down low and let Toby and Bogo handle the points like they used to back in Atlanta before Buff.

Old
07-27-2012, 02:52 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I think that in a year or two, Enstrom-Buff will become our second pairing behind Bogosian and whoever his partner is. But until then, Bogosian still needs to get his game back on track playing with Hainsey and being coached by Huddy. Next summer, we could trade for a defenseman or try and sign a guy like Edler.

In a few years after that, our defense could be:

Trouba-Bogosian
Enstrom-Byfuglien

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:54 PM
hockeylife9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Was ok with him being moved...now I find myself kinda pleased. Weird being a koolaid drinker
This is how I felt as well. if we could've got back something good in a trade I would've been ok with him going. But hearing he's signed for 5 years has made me happy.
It appears that our very own Winnipeg Jets are disproving the myth of "nobody wants to play in Winnipeg"
GO JETS!

hockeylife9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:54 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Are you going to apologize to Chevy now
Ok I actually laughed out loud on this one

Seriously though you have made a good point. I am guessing this move would be hugely popular with the Thrasher faithful.

There is allot to be said for preserving the core....I think it's like Domino's, once they start to fall your way or away from you it just Keeps rolling that direction. With every Player that commits its more likely the next wave will commit (Wheels, Bogo, Burmi).

Here is a key I think and we are finding out allot about the TNSE model now.

#1 We will retain the core even if they are not ideally suited to our prototype (Bigger). This shows we are pragmatic and this shows loyalty but not blind loyalty. Ladd, Slates, Pavs, Toby, Kane, one by one we are selling these guys on TNSE! The Jets, and Winnipeg.

#2 We will draft and develop slowly and we put a high premium on character and toughness, Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry, Sutter, Yuen, etc etc. size and character. It's one thing to say it another thing to actually pull the trigger. Will it work, we'll see, but they have a vision and are sticking too it

#3 unlike Nashville in the early days some of our fans feared the draft and develop only model but were we're one of the more agressive teams in this free agency market.mWe went hard after Parise, landed Olli, Poni, and Welly and really upgraded our two biggest holes (size, 3rd line, and top centre). So much for sitting back Mark, Chevy and company have a patient long term plan but short term they are agressive

#4 they are not afraid to spend. We are not being stupid but we are not affraid to compete for talent and get assets signed up long term for market rates. (goodbye 1.0 I sure don't miss that part)

If you aren't a bit excited now about our patient while being aggressive and loyal approach then I think you are being stubborn.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote