HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Request for research as to cost of Hedman (to NYR)

Old
07-18-2012, 09:52 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I'd prefer Brewer as he's getting older.
Such a terrible reason to get rid of a player. Age sometimes causes a player to decline, but with the way discussions on hfboards usually go, you'd think players have an expiration date stamped on them. "Discard after 30yrs old"

He's still a very good defenseman, and probably our best shutdown dman besides Hedman.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:12 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
Such a terrible reason to get rid of a player. Age sometimes causes a player to decline, but with the way discussions on hfboards usually go, you'd think players have an expiration date stamped on them. "Discard after 30yrs old"

He's still a very good defenseman, and probably our best shutdown dman besides Hedman.
Maybe I should've went into it a little more. Why I said that is cause he started to look older last year and slowed down and had an off year. He could have a bounce back year and be like when we got him. If we were trading any of our D he'd be the one I'd move. Hedman is too young and has immense potential. Salo and Carle we just got so aren't going anywhere. Lee/Mikk/Aullie are young and have a lot to prove and they're value is probably lower than what we'd like to get back. MAB I'd trade too but his value isn't anything either so that's why I said Brewer. If we could improve the team trading him I'd consider it. I don't think we are gonna make any moves until the season starts and we see what we have anyway.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:51 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

He didn't "slow down", and basically the entire team had an "off year" (besides Stamkos and Purcell). It could be that his perceived drop in play was due to the terrible goal tending he was playing in front of as well as being the only competent dman besides Hedman. Its hard to look good when a majority of the team around you is sucking.

You probably aren't going to improve the team by trading Brewer anyways. NVM that he has a NTC.

Old
07-19-2012, 04:21 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
We have a gap on the top 6, and 3C imo. Hedman for 3C won't happen, so unrealistic homer in me wants Top 6, plus Hedman replacement for Hedman + Draft pick or prospect.

I'm not for moving Hedman, but if something were to go down I would prefer for it to be like this.
If I follow you correctly, you're saying top 6 (Stepan) + Hedman replacement (MDZ) + prospect (Christian Thomas, boom bust W w/skill who might inherit St. Louis job one day if he got here) could do it?

Alternatively maybe Stepan + Girardi for Hedman + _____, in which case what would you add?

General question, all invited, please advise.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:55 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

I really don't think we need another top 6 player as much as we need a #3 C. Although MDZ is pretty good, he isn't really a Hedman replacement.

McD + Anisimov for Hedman?

IMO, the value is pretty close, but the trade makes no sense. Why trade young good dmen for each other? Tampa would prob rather keep Hedman and just find a suitable UFA #3C and NY prob would just keep McD and Anisimov.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:54 PM
I Am Beat You

Rangers wouldn't trade McDonagh alone for Hedman.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:58 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Rangers wouldn't trade McDonagh alone for Hedman.
That's fine we wouldn't trade Hedman alone for McDonagh.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:38 PM
I Am Beat You

McDonagh isn't even two years older than Hedman and is a significantly better player.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:46 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
McDonagh isn't even two years older than Hedman and is a significantly better player.
No Hedman is the better player. He just doesn't have the supporting cast that McD does.

I still doubt the rangers trade McD, but the proposed trade is correct value wise.

Old
07-20-2012, 04:14 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
that's a stretch.

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:46 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
I really don't think we need another top 6 player as much as we need a #3 C. Although MDZ is pretty good, he isn't really a Hedman replacement.

McD + Anisimov for Hedman?

IMO, the value is pretty close, but the trade makes no sense. Why trade young good dmen for each other? Tampa would prob rather keep Hedman and just find a suitable UFA #3C and NY prob would just keep McD and Anisimov.
I would be good with this trade. I still wouldn't want to trade Hedman but if hypothetically we had to, then this is pretty much what I would want.

Pound I usually agree with your opinions. I want to send you a pound cake as a sign of friendship or a case of Canadian beer. American big brands suck in comparison.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:56 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
No Hedman is the better player. He just doesn't have the supporting cast that McD does.

I still doubt the rangers trade McD, but the proposed trade is correct value wise.
Glen Sather would likely disagree. McDonagh has been better and more consistent both offensively and defensively than Hedman and has played about 100 less NHL games.

I'm not saying Hedman won't turn into a great player down the road, but at the moment there would be no reason for the Rangers to consider that trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilevski View Post
that's a stretch.
There was a fairly brief stretch after coming back from an injury where Hedman was great, but aside from that he has been fairly inconsistent and just isn't on McDonagh's level.

Maybe significant wasn't the best word to use, but having seen both play a good amount I'd say the difference is obvious.

Old
07-20-2012, 04:27 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
I would be good with this trade. I still wouldn't want to trade Hedman but if hypothetically we had to, then this is pretty much what I would want.

Pound I usually agree with your opinions. I want to send you a pound cake as a sign of friendship or a case of Canadian beer. American big brands suck in comparison.
Hahah, thanks man. And absolutely yes to that Canadian beer!

I had this amazing Canadian beer in a cigar bar in Orlando a while back. I wrote the name down on a napkin to remember, but I lost the napkin. I've spent more time than I'd like to admit trying to track down that beer.

Old
07-20-2012, 04:35 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Glen Sather would likely disagree. McDonagh has been better and more consistent both offensively and defensively than Hedman and has played about 100 less NHL games.

I'm not saying Hedman won't turn into a great player down the road, but at the moment there would be no reason for the Rangers to consider that trade.

There was a fairly brief stretch after coming back from an injury where Hedman was great, but aside from that he has been fairly inconsistent and just isn't on McDonagh's level.

Maybe significant wasn't the best word to use, but having seen both play a good amount I'd say the difference is obvious.
Oh yeah, I can totally understand NYR not wanting to do that trade. I just think the perception of McD being better than Hedman has a lot to do with the teams they play for. I still think Hedman is the better player though, but I can see why people might have a different opinion. McD certainly had the better year.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:33 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Oh yeah, I can totally understand NYR not wanting to do that trade. I just think the perception of McD being better than Hedman has a lot to do with the teams they play for. I still think Hedman is the better player though, but I can see why people might have a different opinion. McD certainly had the better year.
I agree. Both great players, but I'll take VH right now. Put vh on the rangers and MD on last years lightning and see what "could" happen. jmho

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:39 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
I agree. Both great players, but I'll take VH right now. Put vh on the rangers and MD on last years lightning and see what "could" happen. jmho
You have possibly one the best avatars I have ever seen on hf. You have my respect sir..

Old
07-21-2012, 01:42 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Hahah, thanks man. And absolutely yes to that Canadian beer!

I had this amazing Canadian beer in a cigar bar in Orlando a while back. I wrote the name down on a napkin to remember, but I lost the napkin. I've spent more time than I'd like to admit trying to track down that beer.
What kind of beer was it? An ale, pilsner, stout? I'm quite the beer aficionado and possibly be able to help out. Side note: so excited that if a season happens this year, I will see Bolts in Vancouver and then go to Tampa to watch a coupon of game this year.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:14 AM
bernmeister

Appreciate all feedback to date, keep it coming, thanks.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:03 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
What kind of beer was it? An ale, pilsner, stout? I'm quite the beer aficionado and possibly be able to help out. Side note: so excited that if a season happens this year, I will see Bolts in Vancouver and then go to Tampa to watch a coupon of game this year.
It was definitely a stout. It wasn't necessarily a chocolate stout, but it did have a bit of chocolate flavor to it, maybe a bit of toffee as well. There was plenty of other subtle flavors going on, but its been over a year and I'm doing this based on what I remember after a night of drinking. I seem to remember the name being 2 or 3 words, one of which might have started with an "L", possibly even French sounding (maybe not though).

As a side note, if you are going to Tampa and like beer... be sure to try some of the "Cigar City" stuff, they are a popular local brewery. The most common ones you find at places are "Maduro" (a brown ale), and "Jai Alai" (an IPA). If you like either of those type of beers, you'll probably like those. I've been on an IPA kick for a while, so I've been going with Jai Alai.

They also give brewery tours, so I'd check that out as well. I never did get around to doing that, and I just moved out of state (had to give up my season tickets too) .

EDIT:
The brewery might be "Unibroue".

Last edited by PoundCake: 07-23-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old
07-23-2012, 11:12 PM
chasespace

We request Rick Nash

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:23 PM
bernmeister

Thanks to all.

Basically, consensus on Staal + Girardi = Hedman + minimum.

As to other combinations, McDonagh for Hedman, nitpicking aside = too much Coke for Pepsi, no go.

Further review in order given Nash trade.
Again, thanks to all.