HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"The Alexander Semin experiment"

Old
07-27-2012, 01:31 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Tripp's an odd duck. He definitely picks out his favorites even when it's painfully obvious to everyone else that what he sees isn't what's going on when it would diminish one of his favorites in favor of one of the guys he doesn't care as much for. His analysis of what was going on with the Pitkanen-Ward pairing experiment is prettymuch the doctoral thesis of this theory.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
now what will be interesting is the way tripp tracy changes his world view of alex semin. in almost every canes cast of a caro v caps game tripp rips semin to pieces for his lack of heart and effort and hockey savvy....now???

cant wait
The shift has already started there. If you were unfortunate enough to follow him on twitter, you would see the beginning of the back peddle already taking place. Fortunately, Alexander Semin has never heard of Tripp Tracy and likely never will unless it's preceded by the words "Guess who wants an interview between periods but isn't getting one".

Last edited by Vagrant: 07-27-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:41 PM
dammit100

this was Tripp's DM to me yesterday: "Wellwood different kind of player at different number. Can't really compare the 2 potential signings."

dammit100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:45 PM
fashi13

Longtime Caps fan here, great signing. He became a scapegoat here, but it's WAY overblown. Great passer and shooter, very good defensively and on the PK. Him, on either Staal's Wing is going to be a good match. As for the character issue, he's simply a quiet introvert, aloof at worst. The GM that gave contracts to Schultz and Ward, and ignored the 2nd line center until this year, laid another egg by not offering Semin any deal. Congrats on having the best top 6 in the SE.

fashi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:55 PM
txpd

for those here that missed this.....this is not a washington fans hated him thing.
the canadian media hates him WAY more than any group of washington fans.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I take Capitals fan criticism more seriously than I do media criticism for the reasons I outlined above. Canadian media doesn't like guys who don't play by their rules, either on the ice or especially off the ice, and will be quick to let you know that.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
The shift has already started there. If you were unfortunate enough to follow him on twitter, you would see the beginning of the back peddle already taking place. Fortunately, Alexander Semin has never heard of Tripp Tracy and likely never will unless it's preceded by the words "Guess who wants an interview between periods but isn't getting one".
Looking forward to hearing about the text messages Tripp has received from Semin

Oenatzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:22 PM
dammit100

Pierre is certainly an expert on who you don't want around a hockey team

dammit100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I take Capitals fan criticism more seriously than I do media criticism for the reasons I outlined above. Canadian media doesn't like guys who don't play by their rules, either on the ice or especially off the ice, and will be quick to let you know that.
To play the devil's advocate, Capital fans don't have the same access to the players that guys in the media do and thus may have less of an idea of what really goes on off-the-ice.

While I do agree the criticism of Semin was overblown, I don't believe it was unfounded.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:28 PM
piercehannigan

"2 minute penalty for hooking."

Get used to it.

piercehannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

If Semin had gone to Pittsburgh, Pierre would have 100% changed his tune.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
If Semin had gone to Pittsburgh, Pierre would have 100% changed his tune.
Until they didn't win the cup, then it would be all his fault.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:45 PM
CanesAvs16

Semin's Penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehannigan View Post
"2 minute penalty for hooking."

Get used to it.
You know I have been hearing/seeing a lot of comments towards Semin and his taking bad penalties. Caps fans act like this is something new to us. First of all, Staal had one of the worst starts to his career this past season. I think we all know what its like to see a good player hit a cold streak, so any "streakiness" Semin may possess is not something new. Also, Jokinen was all but non-existant for me this past season, yet another player not playing up to their potential.

With regards to the penalties comments, Jeff Skinner took some of the stupidest/worst penalties I have ever seen. It seems like a maturity problem, but I feel as though Semin's stupid penalties can't seriously be much worse than some of the crap Skinner took.

Third, I would rather see Semin taking stupid penalties and scoring goals than see no Semin on our team at all. He gives this team a real opportunity to go deep in the playoffs. AND if he happens to take a bad penalty, we have one of the best two way forwards in the nhl on our PK, so I think we will be fine

CanesAvs16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Sens1Canes2

This is what a friend of mine texted me when I told him about the signing...he's high up in an NHL front office. Just FYI.

I know. When he doesn't show up half the games or not compete, don't complain. He is top 5/10 pure talent in the league and one of the best shots in the league. But he plays the game for the wrong reason (money) and not to win."

So this is how one team views Semin. I'm going to reserve judgement until the middle of the season, but I'm pretty excited. Pure talent trumps inferior talent + effort most of the time. Especially if there are two major stars already on the roster (Staals).

Sens1Canes2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:01 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

I think you just have to hope that the cycle of E. Staal not showing up, Semin not showing up, Skinner not showing up, J. Staal not showing up, Jokinen not showing up and Ruutu not showing up coincides to an extent where at least two or three show up on any given gamenight. With legitimate talent in the top-six now, the team is hopefully more prepared to compensate for Eric's slow start and not have the season end before the new year.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:11 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

One thing that is almost universal among hockey fans -- they complain about stars not "showing up" often enough. There are VERY few players in the history of the game who gave a consistently superior performance night after night. It's just part of the game. Malkin, Crosby, Stamkos... hell, Mario Lemieux even received a lot of the same criticism.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Caniac1234

If there's any coach who can hold every player accountable for there actions its kirk muller,i think we are gonna be just fine.

Caniac1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:15 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
On another note, this thread needs a poll

better band name: "Alexander Semin Experiment" or "The Arturs Irbe Experience"?

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:16 PM
PSUCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
This is what a friend of mine texted me when I told him about the signing...he's high up in an NHL front office. Just FYI.

I know. When he doesn't show up half the games or not compete, don't complain. He is top 5/10 pure talent in the league and one of the best shots in the league. But he plays the game for the wrong reason (money) and not to win."

So this is how one team views Semin. I'm going to reserve judgement until the middle of the season, but I'm pretty excited. Pure talent trumps inferior talent + effort most of the time. Especially if there are two major stars already on the roster (Staals).
So why didn't he sign in Russia and get paid more?

PSUCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Roboturner913

This is a classic case of both parties knowing exactly what they're getting into. Semin wanted big money and the chance to increase his earning potential by playing with top-flight linemates; done. Canes wanted 70 point production from a first-line winger and the chance to bail after a year if it doesn't work out; done.

Both sides are using each other, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Hell, that's how most people are with their jobs.

I don't think many of us necessarily view Semin as a long-term cornerstone of the team, but he's a guy who can help get us where we want to be in the short term. No different than most deadline trades, i.e., getting Dougie Weight for the playoffs even though everybody knew he was going right back to St. Louis.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:38 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCapsFan View Post
So why didn't he sign in Russia and get paid more?
My cousin's friend's brother's aunt is secretary for the GM of CSKA Moscow and she said Semin didn't want to come back to Russia because half of his salary would be seized by the KGB, Russian mafia & government.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:44 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Brb, gotta go to the Pens forum to trash Sutter under the guise of being a realist. Since it's an HF pastime for fans to be "realists" when discussing your teams former players with their new teams.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Not only do we have 6 players who would be top 6 on most teams, we have 3 players who would be top line players on most teams (though not all 3) in Semin, S12 and Skinner (and maybe S11).

We have the firepower.

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post

I hope he plays for money this year. Last chance for a 5 year deal.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:17 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
My cousin's friend's brother's aunt is secretary for the GM of CSKA Moscow and she said Semin didn't want to come back to Russia because half of his salary would be seized by the KGB, Russian mafia & government.
An NHL GM told me that the 'Canes were offered Alex Semin+1st in exchange for a 7th round pick at the deadline last year and said no.

Joe Corvo asked for a trade last year because he asked for a contract extension and the 'Canes said no.

Tomas Kabele was traded because he wasn't good and was out of shape.

The 'Canes are high on Jeremy Welsh and tried to trade up to get back into the first round.

I am now a trusted insider, take my posts seriously plz.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote