HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is our BEST player today... not named Lundqvist

View Poll Results: Who is our best player... not named Lundqvist?
Gabby 43 24.71%
Nash 44 25.29%
Richards 25 14.37%
Other 62 35.63%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-25-2012, 11:32 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
A 30 goal winger isn't more valuable than a center or defenseman. Not better than a 30 minutes a night, lights out, shut down man-child. He's not better than a center putting up the same points that's clutch when it counts.

If it's Nash with the "AINEC" tag, he shouldn't need the "good team surrounded by good players" caveat. I'm happy we got Nash but I'm not anointing him until he does what he's supposed to do now that he has the cast. There's more to the game than Youtube goals.

And with regards to Staal, yes, you did misunderstand the question.
I think you misunderstood, not only the question, but my response.

The "caveat" is that now he could score 50 goals.

The question wasn't who is the most important player on the team, it was who is the best. Rick Nash wins that title, and again, it's not even close. Unlike Gaborik, he's not injury prone.

McDonagh isn't there yet.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:53 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Nash. I would give it to Gabby, but I doubt Gabby puts up the numbers he's put up throughout his career on Columbus. Gabby also can't carry the puck himself. Nash is a far more well rounded offensive force and can single handedly change a game more so than any other skater on our team.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I wouldn't even put Gabby as #2. I'd pick McDonagh as our second most valuable skater. Gabby would be #3 however.

Last edited by KingWantsCup: 07-25-2012 at 11:58 PM.
KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
I think you misunderstood, not only the question, but my response.

The "caveat" is that now he could score 50 goals.

The question wasn't who is the most important player on the team, it was who is the best. Rick Nash wins that title, and again, it's not even close. Unlike Gaborik, he's not injury prone.

McDonagh isn't there yet.
How in the hell is Rick Nash the best player on this team?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:07 AM
ColonialsHockey10

It's between McDonagh and Staal for me.

Staal before his concussion was getting to that point where he dominated in the defensive zone. McDonagh is fantastic defensively, but I haven't seen him dominate in the fashion Staal did. I'm talking Pronger/Chara level domination from Staal.

McDonagh I believe however is capable of scoring 50+ points while being flawless defensively. A few times in the playoffs he pinched and it was incredible what he is capable of doing offensively with more comfort.

Also, look out, McDonagh is going to start absolutely decking people in the near future.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur

vCash: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Also, look out, McDonagh is going to start absolutely decking people in the near future.
Definitely looking forward to this one.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:10 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Best offensive player - Brad Richards
Best Defensive player - Ryan Callahan and Ryan McDonagh
Most complete player - Ryan Callahan

Player that makes the biggest, most consistent positive impact, game after game, shift after shift - Ryan Callahan

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:19 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Sticking true with Gabby.

I'll go along with this.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:45 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Not going to rank them as onlythe future matters and this we know nothing about. Imo we have 3 Allstar caliber defencemen (Staal, McD, Girardi) and 4 Allstar caliber forwards ( Callahan, Gaborik, Nash, Richards) on the team fight now. Plus possible candidate rookie of the year inKreider (and a contender for last years prize in Hagelin). And a sophomore captain for a JWC champion team in Stepan. And a 40 point defenseman withlots of upside in MDZ. Bring in Shane Doan as the final piece and we got 5 Allstar calibre fwds. That, my friends, is one helluva upgrade from the Zherdev, Drury, Redden, Gomez years

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:48 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Oh, sorry, you're right. I have to chuck out all our wingers.

Ok, so no offensive players, either, right?

Ok, so I have to think of the McDonagh of 1-3 seasons out, right?

Ok, McDonagh it is

The question wasn't most important, or most complete player. The question is "who is our BEST player?". Best is a very subjective word.

I'll still say Rick Nash.

Last edited by KreiMeARiver*: 07-26-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old
07-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Above and Beyond

1. Nash - Proven elite goal scorer for most of his career. Sick, sick hands. Great shot. Capable of physically dominating games. I think some fans are in denial of how good he is, since he was just aquired. Unless he lays a total egg in NY, he's the best player outside of Lundqvist.

2. Richards - Elite playmaker. Probably the most well rounded player on the team. He's more valuable than the point total indicates.

3. Gaborik - Good playmaker and shot, elite Speed and release. He won't dominate games but he's money with his chances. Makes the opportunities count.

4. Mcdonagh - Has been very impressive so far. Vision, awareness, positioning, speed, great passer. Not much more you can teach this kid. I don't think he has elite offensive capabilities and he's not physically intimidating... so he's not in the top 3.

5. Staal - One healthy season and he'll possibly be our most important D man again. Not as talented as McD, but he's shown he can be the total package. Physically imposing, great shutdown, good shot, can lead the odd rush. One concussion and people forget how valuable he was.

That said, nobody in this group is considered a favorite of mine. Lundqvist, Cally, and Girardi are favs. Lundqvist for his elite skill. Cally and Girardi for their heart.

Above and Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Mrpuck

Voted Other: McD

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:54 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Interesting results. I don't think I enough of a sample size to say the AWESOME McD is a better player than Rick Nash or Richards.

I chose Nash. He is the most talented player on the team imo. Now he needs to show up, get to know the system and bring the heart and soul

07-26-2012, 05:00 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
Interesting results. I don't think I enough of a sample size to say the AWESOME McD is a better player than Rick Nash or Richards.

I chose Nash. He is the most talented player on the team imo. Now he needs to show up, get to know the system and bring the heart and soul
El Duderino agrees...

Old
07-26-2012, 09:03 PM
free0717

Howard Stern

Richards

Nash

McD

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Because he has a better all around game than the usual suspects on our team(Richards, Gaborik, etc).

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Way View Post
1. Nash - Proven elite goal scorer for most of his career. Sick, sick hands. Great shot. Capable of physically dominating games. I think some fans are in denial of how good he is, since he was just aquired. Unless he lays a total egg in NY, he's the best player outside of Lundqvist.

2. Richards - Elite playmaker. Probably the most well rounded player on the team. He's more valuable than the point total indicates.

3. Gaborik - Good playmaker and shot, elite Speed and release. He won't dominate games but he's money with his chances. Makes the opportunities count.

4. Mcdonagh - Has been very impressive so far. Vision, awareness, positioning, speed, great passer. Not much more you can teach this kid. I don't think he has elite offensive capabilities and he's not physically intimidating... so he's not in the top 3.

5. Staal - One healthy season and he'll possibly be our most important D man again. Not as talented as McD, but he's shown he can be the total package. Physically imposing, great shutdown, good shot, can lead the odd rush. One concussion and people forget how valuable he was.

That said, nobody in this group is considered a favorite of mine. Lundqvist, Cally, and Girardi are favs. Lundqvist for his elite skill. Cally and Girardi for their heart.
Exactly what I would have posted. Thanks for saving me some time.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:37 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
when this happened...i was looking for a knife to slit my wrists...that's how important MCD is to this team. Gaborik, Nash, Cally, Staal, Girardi, they all belong in the conversation...but McDonagh, to me, is an absolute stud. When he becomes an RFA next year, im looking to lock his ass up to a lifetime contract. 15 years or somethign crazy like that. no desire whatsoever to see him in any jersey other than Rangers blue.

I remember the immense fear I felt as well. I thought he tore his ACL, I was so buggin out.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:27 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

So basically this thread was headed off a cliff, then logic came in and agreed Nash is the best player on this team.

Marc Staal people? I mean...seriously?

Old
07-27-2012, 04:53 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I think this thread shows just how much Rick Nash was really wasting away in CBus. Fans are going to LOVE this guy when they see him play every night. He is an EXCELLENT hockey player. A real power forward type who can mess teams up.

Rick Nash is alot like a perfect mix of Brad Richards and Gaborik. He has Gabbys skill for the sweet goals + Richards all around Canadian boy zeal for doing the little things right.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:00 AM
JHaggis

Richards to me in this list.

JHaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:30 AM
district9
w/e

rick nash has the most talent and can do the most on the ice. gaborik is probably a better offensive talent than nash but as an overall player i'd take nash. richards has the closest overall talent level to nash, but nash's physicality bumps him up again.

i think you have to say rick nash is the best player on the team right now. mcdonagh would be my 2nd choice, but it's hard to say that without a doubt. nash has been one of the top forwards in this league for a while now, mcdonagh had one incredible (and i mean INCREDIBLE superstar level) season but that's not enough to anoint him as the best player on the team.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:57 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
I think this thread shows just how much Rick Nash was really wasting away in CBus. Fans are going to LOVE this guy when they see him play every night. He is an EXCELLENT hockey player. A real power forward type who can mess teams up.

Rick Nash is alot like a perfect mix of Brad Richards and Gaborik. He has Gabbys skill for the sweet goals + Richards all around Canadian boy zeal for doing the little things right.
This post is dead-on.

It makes me wonder how much other people really know about hockey outside of NY.

Old
07-28-2012, 01:33 PM
LordsCup*

Jesus, let McD match what he did before we start calling him the best player on the team

Gabby, Nash, Richards ALL should go before McD at this point.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:21 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup* View Post
Jesus, let McD match what he did before we start calling him the best player on the team

Next season I will be far more concerned if McD goes down, rather than Gabby or Richards. Oops, too late for Gabby.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup* View Post

McDonagh played just as fine in the 2010-11 season.