HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

GM Report Card

Old
07-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Selanne138

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanRocket91 View Post
Bob Murray C-

Overpaying for Bryan Allen & Souray
Straining the relationship between Bobby Ryan
Has thus far failed to provide Bobby with a #2 center
Agreed. Although Im willing to bump it up if he resigns Getzlaf and Perry before next July 1st.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Pohlow

GMJN - A+ for sure

Got rid of the cancer (Ribiero)
Got very solid veterans (Whitney + Jagr)
Gave Benn and Eriksson everything they need to succeed (Benn gets amazing wingers and first line ice time)
Increased the work ethic and general attitude in the locker room (Jagr for work ethic, Whitney for attitude)
Got a solid 3rd line center, and now have more than 2 lines that can score
One of the best drafts in recent memory (Faksa, Bystrom, Smith)

The only reason he has been getting flak is because he traded away the fan favorite Ott (for Roy, which I consider a steal for us, and Buffalo considers a steal for them), but he is doing an amazing job in putting the franchise around Benn and Eriksson

Pohlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromster View Post
At least give Homer a C+ for not only keeping things interesting with Weber, but also managing to get Jake signed before any other GMs could revenge-offersheet him.
Sorry but keeping things interesting doesnt make the team better.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Glen Sather: A+

I haven't been this excited for a season since......I've never been this excited for a season.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:52 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Dean Lombardi - A+

His team did win the Stanley Cup after all, and not only that he managed the salary cap well enough to bring every single player back and still have room to add a player or two depending on how the new CBA shakes out.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:54 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LombardiTool View Post
B+? Boomer gave them a F-. He said the only people that think this team is good is Calgary. Guess he was right.
Thought they were rating the GM not the team? If somebody gave an F- to Feaster since taking over their an absolute idiot.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:56 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
could have traded him before that...
And why the hell would they do that?

Name ONE +100 point team that's ever traded their captain away at the deadline because he's a UFA.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:57 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohlow View Post
GMJN - A+ for sure

Got rid of the cancer (Ribiero)
Got very solid veterans (Whitney + Jagr)
Gave Benn and Eriksson everything they need to succeed (Benn gets amazing wingers and first line ice time)
Increased the work ethic and general attitude in the locker room (Jagr for work ethic, Whitney for attitude)
Got a solid 3rd line center, and now have more than 2 lines that can score
One of the best drafts in recent memory (Faksa, Bystrom, Smith)

The only reason he has been getting flak is because he traded away the fan favorite Ott (for Roy, which I consider a steal for us, and Buffalo considers a steal for them), but he is doing an amazing job in putting the franchise around Benn and Eriksson
Signing Jagr and Whitney gets him an A+????

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:57 PM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

I'd give Feaster a C

Couple questionable moves like signing Kolanos and Stempniak
Couple good moves by acquiring Cammy and signing Irving/Backlund to low low contracts.
Not a horrible drafting record (omg janko is such a bust omg)

I am one of the few that doesn't mind the Hudler/Wideman signings.

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:59 PM
medhatcanuck

Best:
1. Sherman- has created 3 solid scoring lines and just needs to shore up the back end. Really like playing PA in an offensive role with Duchene, but not a high pressure offensive sitation, as they'll likely be the 2nd or 3rd line.
2. Fletcher- made the Wild relevant. Wild have always been a team with a good goalie and depth players. Now they have top players as well. Add one or two more key players and that team is ready to go.
3 . Sather- Rick Nash for Anisimov, erixon, dubinsky and 1st. Still has cap space to add 2 more superstars. That is all.
4. Poille- Poor guy. I don't think it's his fault, but good on him for sticking to his promise and re-signing Weber.

Worst:
1. Holland- isn't doing anything/ hasn't succeeded at making his team younger, attracting forwards or defencemen. A team without a strong defence is ok, if you have a great goalie, Howard is not a great goalie. I think Detroit's forwards are OK, and the defence is passable as well as their goalie, but they really need to do something. When you rely on Bertuzzi, Datsyuk, Franzen and these players to stay healthy and produce you are in trouble. I would imagine Detroit struggles and realizes they need to get rid of Franzen and Datsyuk to get some good young player in the system.
2. Feaster- Either Feaster is an idiot or the owner's are telling him that his team has to be competitive every year. This team might make the playoffs sure. But they should be building a championship team not a playoff team. Forwards are mediocre. Defence is sub-par and Kipper is Kipper. Time to trade Iginla for some depth and youth. I use to enjoy Flames/Canucks games, because there was good hockey, now it's usually the Canucks not trying and losing or them running over the Flames were just some Timbits players. And Jankowski.

Other mentions:
Tallon- because he is possibly the best GM at building a team ground-up.
Montreal's GM- solid draft day, I didn't include him in Best, because it seems like he just draft BPA, which is always percieved as a solid strategy by fans.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:59 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Go to the Pens board and you will see a lot of Pens fans giving Ray Shero an F.

I give Shero a B+. While he didn't add an impact player. He...

1. Traded a 2012 7th round pick for the UFA rights to arguably the best goalie on the free agent market, then signed him to a 2 year deal.

2. Traded Jordan Staal (with one year left on his contract who just turned down a long term extension because he wouldn't be able to play with his brother) to his brother's team, the Carolina Hurricanes for Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin and the 8th overall pick (Derrick Pouliot)

3. Traded Zbynek Michalek as a cap dump, for a prospect he really likes, plus a 3rd round pick, cleared cap space to go after Parise and Suter, didn't get them, but he tried. He has Simon Despres who is ready for the NHL, to replace Michalek.

4. Replaced Arron Asham with Tanner Glass, a bigger, more physical 4th line winger who fights, kills penalties and is not afraid to hit (top 10 in hits last season).

5. Added better depth for the Penguins. Over the past 2 seasons, the Penguins AHL depth signings were C Ryan Craig, D Andrew Hutchinson, C Jason Williams, RW Colin McDonald, D Alexandre Picard G Scott Munroe, etc. He added depth that can help the prospects in WBS, while contributing at both the AHL and NHL level.

F Riley Holzapfel
G Jeff Zatkoff
C Warren Peters
C Philippe Dupuis
C Trevor Smith
RW Benn Ferriero
D Dylan Reese
I'd give Shero a C+, I guess. The C for basically not making anything worse and the + for not allowing the Staal situation to run out of control. He can get a lot better with more moves and short of giving Neal away for a hot meal he can't get much worse, but I am not sure he qualifies for a B just yet only on the merits of standing pat and being patient before we know that tactic pays off.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:03 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Mike Gillis - B-

-Signed Garrison to a good deal.
-Kept Weise and yes, Raymond, at reasonable price tags.
-Let Salo walk (tough to match Tampa's offer though)
-Let Rome/MAG walk; Alberts as #7 is unacceptable. Need to add depth beyond the six starting blue liners; Joslin doesn't count.
-Still need a top 6 forward and/or elite 3C; center depth is weak and shows when Kesler or Henrik aren't on the lineup.
-Luongo deal still pending

Lots of things still have to happen so the score is preliminary. GMMG still has some homework to do.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

So getting to the Finals means nothing? Or is this off season only? Parise never planned on staying its not Lous fault. Im sorry but none of you know how to be a GM.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:11 PM
MXD

Pierre Gauthier managed to get himself kicked out of Montreal, so I gave him an A for that feat. ... But that's also the only positive I can say, other than the fact he didn't fire Trevor Timmins.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:12 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post

Montreal's GM- solid draft day, I didn't include him in Best, because it seems like he just draft BPA, which is always percieved as a solid strategy by fans.
I don't think the GM has much to do with that, but still, one of his subordinates managed to draft a guy that was BPA since Collberg was gone AND that adressed a need (rough D-Men).

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:14 PM
ShootIt

Tallon: C+
No upgrade at center, 2nd line.
Added mueller, but can he stay healthy?
Like Parros and Kuba was a nice short contract

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

Pierre Gauthier: D very close to a fail, horrible GM.
Marc Bergevin: B+ little too early to tell but I like what I've seen so far from him.

Canadiens Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:19 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Jim Rutherford - A

Still needs to find that tough guy he wants for the fourth line, but it's hard to hold that against him with the other moves he made. He added J. Staal and Semin to the forward ranks and only lost Sutter (granted he was a favorite of mine). He lost a little bit of toughness in Allen, but added Corvo who has had his best years in Carolina paired with Gleason (as recently as two years ago). Hard to complain about this offseason as a Hurricanes' fan.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:25 PM
wesott11

I give bob Murray a C+.

So far he has improved our defense the signing souray an Allen. Not alot of people like the souray deal but he is a better Dman than viz and Allen is a huge step up over Brookbank so honestly to me that's a big positive for me.

Let parros, Blake, brookbank and hagman walk, none of which will really be missed on the ice except for Brookbank but he has already been replaced.

Added Staubitz on forward and that's it do far. Hasn't filled the spot for our #2 center, which I'm assuming he will most likely be filled by youth.

Ellis is gone and fasth is the new backup. Also added better depth in the net.

Generally the team hasn't improved MUCH, but I still see the team as improved. If he adds another serviceable forward to the roster I'd give him a B-.

wesott11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:26 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Wang gets a D-. Snow doesn't deserve a grade.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Kershaw

Sather B+

Could get an A next year if the ultimate prize is won. His past offseasons makes me hesitant to give him the nod.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:27 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Bit of a weird spot with regards to Montreal, although I was overjoyed with the draft result. Hopefully those picks do pan out, but I liked how he gambled on players who had scoring upside. Signings have been fine, not great (Prust at over 2 mill a year is overpayment for sure). I'll give him an A-, although this is a really small sample and can't really be compared to other GM rankings.

On a side note, is it just me or has Holland always been very overrated? I love his actual GM philosophy, but I've never been really impressed with his trading/signing ability (outside of Hossa, who pretty much wanted to be there anyway). His scouts have done a terrific job of finding talent in the most unusual spots, and his strongest point is his willingness to listen to his personnel.

I think the next few years will be interesting to see whether Holland's reputation was truly earned. For Detroit's sake, I hope I am not correct.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:31 PM
vanwest

To me most have had pretty average off seasons so put them somewhere around C- to C+ for most of them.
The ones who stand out positively to me this offseason are:
Fletcher, Sather, Rutherford and Lombardi. And the latter only because you don't mess with a good thing.
The ones who stand out negatively to me are:
Feaster, Howson, Holland Lamorello, and Burke. Not so much because they made bad moves but more because they didn't address the team's big needs.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Oshie97

Maybe the GMs that refrained from overspending in FA should be given a little better scores. These 10+ yr deals improve the team now but hurts them down the road.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
could have traded him before that...
This. Devils fans were laughing Canucks fans out of the room when they were offering Schneider, a first rounder and Spare parts.

I can only imagine what the most desperate teams would have paid..

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote