HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Stan-ding Pat

Old
07-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

vCash: 500
Stan-ding Pat

I haven't posted much lately since it's the summer, there's no new news, and people are arguing about the same topics over and over again. However, what hasn't happened is really eating away at me.

I just am finding it hard to believe that the Hawks would stand pat. It's just unbelievable. Stan did go hard after Parise and made a very significant offer. Am I satisfied with his effort? You're damn right. However, since we missed out on Parise, you'd think that we'd go after a "plan B" player to play in the top-six. Nope. We have a gaping hole. We do not have a true second line center. It has been neglected forever. When will it get filled? Will it? It's just incredibly frustrating.

Look at all the solid prospects we have. It seems like with all the sites that rank prospect pools, we are often around the fifth best prospect pool. We have a lot of solid guys in the system. If you have some good NHL talent already and a lot of good prospects, it seems extremely logical that you'd package two or three of them up and maybe accompany the prospects with a draft pick to try and fill a hole.

Stubbornness. This is why I'm aggravated. The same team that got knocked out of the first-round has returned. Bowman and company are expecting new results. They just need to have another year together as a squad to gel together my ass. They gelled as much as they could and simply are not good enough to get us near our goal. This team will get us into the playoffs, but this team probably will not get us out of the first-round. Q likes his group of players, he has his idiots to his left and to his right, and we have one of the most hesitant general managers in the National Hockey League.

My expectation is that Bowman will realize that being a fifth seed or below isn't solid enough, the current roster as constructed isn't solid enough, and that another first-round exit isn't good enough during the season when he sees the way this team performs and uses the aforementioned prospect pool as a source to go get us some real available trade deadline talent that will fill the holes properly.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:02 PM
BobbyJet

Ironically Parise is not the player we need. Sure it would be nice to have him but he does not address any real iissues. So if Stan really did go all out to acquire him, and Parise alone, he is out of touch with his own team.

Last edited by BobbyJet: 07-27-2012 at 06:13 PM.
BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Ironically Parise is not the player we need. Sure it would be nice to have him but he does not adress any real iissues. So if Stan really did go all out to acquire him, and Parise alone, he is out of touch with his own team.
Bowman offered Parise around the same amount of money Minnesota did but less years. He was willing to give him a higher AAV than to have him signed longer.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

I know it's really bad this year, Bowman just doesn't seem to care to address any needs at all or even just add a player to inject any new blood into the team or even just excite the fans.

Say what you want about Tallon but this is a guy who brought in Khabby, Campbell, Hossa (to some extent) Traded for Havlat, Sharp, Ladd, Versteeg etc.

Tallon gets fired and we get stuck with a guy who's sole job was to keep the records. Stan is not a hockey businessman and this team is completely stuck in neutral. I guess he thinks that Saad, Hayes, Danault and so on will quickly grow to be the likes of Versteeg, Brouwer and Bolland and the way they did.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

Tallon was great at constructing a great roster that didn't last a great amount of time.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Great post, Cullk - my sentiments exactly.

Except for the last mini-paragraph, unfortunately. I don't think Bowman will do much of anything to really fill in the roster holes at the deadline. He has given fans (who are not wearing rose-colored Blackhawk glasses all the time, anyway) no reason whatsoever to believe in him.
I gave him this offseason to prove he wasn't the GM the naysayers said he was, because I recognized it wasn't quite fair to judge him based on the last two years, one of which he had his hands tied completely by the cap. The year he did have flexibilty was pretty much a failure (last season). But I was going to give him a real shot, because you can make a much better and fair judgment based off of two (legitimate) offseasons rather than just one. Prove to all of us that he's actually going to improve the team rather than signing more trash (or in Brookbank's case, just yet another bottom-pairing defenseman).
And he didn't do it. I lost whatever faith I ever had in the guy.

"Keep the same roster, waste years of Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook's careers with a team not good enough to win the Cup, and instead of addressing roster holes, choose to hesitate and do nothing while claiming that 'we have enough to win.'"
Blackhawk brass' mantra right there, seemingly. Or Bowman's, anyway.

Last edited by Chris Hansen: 07-27-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Tallon was great at constructing a great roster that didn't last a great amount of time.
Bowman thinks he can do what Tallon did and wait for all the rookies and prospects to come together at the same time and gel with the core, but not every prospect is gonna make it and he needs to identify quickly what we need to hang on to and what we can afford to lose for some immediate help now.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:52 PM
rick hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back GLR View Post
Bowman thinks he can do what Tallon did and wait for all the rookies and prospects to come together at the same time and gel with the core, but not every prospect is gonna make it and he needs to identify quickly what we need to hang on to and what we can afford to lose for some immediate help now.
I have a feeling that the Hawks brain trust believes in the youth in their system and thats why they aren't desperate to make the moves that a lot believe are needed. Saad, Olsen, Jimmy Hayes and Morin are knocking at the door. Pirri, Beach and Clendenning might be close, too. Danualt and Mcniel are starting to come on. Teravainen could be ready in as little as a year. Who knows? Maybe they are right. I know I'm glad they don't have the Brunette's and Pisani's around blocking their chances.

rick hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Great post, Cullk - my sentiments exactly.

Except for the last mini-paragraph, unfortunately. I don't think Bowman will do much of anything to really fill in the roster holes at the deadline. He has given fans (who are not wearing rose-colored Blackhawk glasses all the time, anyway) no reason whatsoever to believe in him.
I gave him this offseason to prove he wasn't the GM the naysayers said he was, because I recognized it wasn't quite fair to judge him based on the last two years, one of which he had his hands tied completely by the cap. The year he did have flexibilty was pretty much a failure (last season). But I was going to give him a real shot, because you can make a much better and fair judgment based off of two (legitimate) offseasons rather than just one. Prove to all of us that he's actually going to improve the team rather than signing more trash (or in Brookbank's case, just yet another bottom-pairing defenseman).
And he didn't do it. I lost whatever faith I ever had in the guy.

"Keep the same roster, waste years of Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook's careers with a team not good enough to win the Cup, and instead of addressing roster holes, choose to hesitate and do nothing while claiming that 'we have enough to win.'"
Blackhawk brass' mantra right there, seemingly. Or Bowman's, anyway.
I meant that as a fan, I expect him to improve the club at the deadline, not that I predict him to.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
I meant that as a fan, I expect him to improve the club at the deadline, not that I predict him to.
Right, my mistake. Yeah, it seems reasonable enough to expect a team on the cusp of being a Cup contender, but needing one or two more pieces to truly get into that group... well, it's reasonable to expect that the GM of that team would be looking to make moves to make that happen.
Pretty infuriating that that isn't the case. So much talent is being put to waste.

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
I haven't posted much lately since it's the summer, there's no new news, and people are arguing about the same topics over and over again. However, what hasn't happened is really eating away at me.

I just am finding it hard to believe that the Hawks would stand pat. It's just unbelievable. Stan did go hard after Parise and made a very significant offer. Am I satisfied with his effort? You're damn right. However, since we missed out on Parise, you'd think that we'd go after a "plan B" player to play in the top-six. Nope. We have a gaping hole. We do not have a true second line center. It has been neglected forever. When will it get filled? Will it? It's just incredibly frustrating.

Look at all the solid prospects we have. It seems like with all the sites that rank prospect pools, we are often around the fifth best prospect pool. We have a lot of solid guys in the system. If you have some good NHL talent already and a lot of good prospects, it seems extremely logical that you'd package two or three of them up and maybe accompany the prospects with a draft pick to try and fill a hole.

Stubbornness. This is why I'm aggravated. The same team that got knocked out of the first-round has returned. Bowman and company are expecting new results. They just need to have another year together as a squad to gel together my ass. They gelled as much as they could and simply are not good enough to get us near our goal. This team will get us into the playoffs, but this team probably will not get us out of the first-round. Q likes his group of players, he has his idiots to his left and to his right, and we have one of the most hesitant general managers in the National Hockey League.

My expectation is that Bowman will realize that being a fifth seed or below isn't solid enough, the current roster as constructed isn't solid enough, and that another first-round exit isn't good enough during the season when he sees the way this team performs and uses the aforementioned prospect pool as a source to go get us some real available trade deadline talent that will fill the holes properly.
The Hawks don't have any elite prospects to trade for top 6 talent other than maybe Saad. They have a lot of decent prospects, no great ones

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Sevanston

We have two second line centers on the roster, but they're never played there due to Q's stubbornness. It's not the biggest hole on this roster, just the biggest sign of player mismanagement.

Our biggest hole is between the pipes, and Stan still did nothing there but be the loudest bidder for Brodeur, which ultimately means nothing.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Said it before and I will say it again, Bowman is a coward. He is so afraid of making a move though could be considered a failure that he would rather not make any moves at all and not fail then actually try to get some of the pieces we need and miss and therefore be a failure.

What he fails to realize is that it is better to have tried and failed then to not have tried at all. He won't move one of more of our prospects for a #2 C, #3 D, or #1 G in fear that the player he gets would not workout and then he would look bad and instead will do nothing and hope that it works out in the end.

The more the days go by and I see Bowman do NOTHING! to improve this team the more I realize he has to go before he wastes this teams prime and this core that could have won 2-3 Cups wins one and does little else after that.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:04 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:

I think the prospect pool is full of "High-floor" guys instead of the riskier "high-ceiling" guys. The pool was broke and I think the tried to make moves and picks to put more size and a higher % of some NHL contribution likely among those prospects they picked. My point is I really don't think the prospects do much for almost all gms to improve on a big trade. Few of the prospects will be top 6/ top 4 types and while I think there are a few in the system, hardly any have been identified.

Gms aren't likely to make a major trade with Chicago involving Hawk prospects (with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions), especially within the conference . We wouldn't expect Bowman to either. Right now the value of the prospect pool is to Chicago, not everybody else. Maybe by the midway point of this season some more of the kids will stand out and we'll be better able to see more of the true NHL value of these prospects. I'm guessing it's another year before the system has a decent number of players that other gms actually want.

Based on all the roster activity last year, Chicago isn't even sure how to rank and project all their prospects. They're still too young and will need a little more time to be worth something significant to the rest of the league if they don't have the projected performance ceiling to crack the top line or top pair in my opinion.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:18 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Ironically Parise is not the player we need. Sure it would be nice to have him but he does not address any real iissues. So if Stan really did go all out to acquire him, and Parise alone, he is out of touch with his own team.
I'd say the PP, PK, and puck control are major issues.

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:32 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
No, it's called looking past 1 offseason's needs. He had the opportunity to sign an elite talent of this generation. Just like the draft, you take the best guy on the board, if you can get him.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:09 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Bowman only gave Parise an offer because he knew we wouldn't be picked. It's called the wish list, just like when the Hawks "went after" Messier and so many others.

Stan-ding Pat - a synonym for fratricide.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:39 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Bowman only gave Parise an offer because he knew we wouldn't be picked. It's called the wish list, just like when the Hawks "went after" Messier and so many others.

Stan-ding Pat - a synonym for fratricide.
I think bowman went after Parise specifically to piss off Cold Steel.

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 05:13 PM
madgoat33

seriously, bowman must have bullied coldsteel in high school or something.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 05:59 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
No, it's called looking past 1 offseason's needs. He had the opportunity to sign an elite talent of this generation. Just like the draft, you take the best guy on the board, if you can get him.
Yeah right ... and ignore the real needs of this club. Great reasoning ...

... oh wait we're looking long term. Sounds like the Leafs (which has been going on since 1967).

Last edited by BobbyJet: 07-28-2012 at 06:16 PM.
BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:40 PM
zytz
lumberjack

I'm glad Bowman knows we have good players on this roster, and hasn't taken the chicken little attitude of most of this board.

zytz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:43 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I'm glad Bowman knows we have good players on this roster, and hasn't taken the chicken little attitude of most of this board.

I'd fire the coaching staff long before I hamstrung the team with a guy like doan.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:39 PM
ndgt10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Good enough to get bounced in the first round for the last 3...i mean 2 years.

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post

I'd fire the coaching staff long before I hamstrung the team with a guy like doan.
I'd happily take Doan for two years.

I would not take Doan for four years.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:56 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post

Yep. That's about all there is to it. We have one of the most stacked PP units in the league that can't score goals. Same group of guys puts up near league-leading numbers at ES. That's coaching and nothing else.

zytz is online now   Reply With Quote