HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers re-sign Cam Talbot

Old
07-26-2012, 10:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Not claiming to be expert here, but whatever else he needs to develop, we all remember a lightning glove hand last year at Traverse City.

I'm sure I'm in minority here, BUT if I can get real value for Biron from a team like the Black Hawks, would like to take a chance on this guy as our backup. True, he wouldn't get every day development, but he would have top level shooters pressing him.

-------------

Maybe something like Biron + = Dylan Olsen
You don't assemble the roster that we have only to go into the season with a mediocre, rookie goaltender as your backup. That's completely counterintuitive.

Biron was signed to play, not to be traded.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:28 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Maybe we could trade Biron for Tyson Dowzak.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:43 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Ahahahaha. Good old Tysen!

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:29 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Yeah the value for Biron idea sounds good, but it's not the right move right now.

We just got Rick Nash, I think the mission is pretty clear.
I appreciate your 2 cents inferring the value I suggested might be good.

I got the loud + clear from you and others that we don't do it now.

Respectfully disagree.
Move Biron while his value is highest IF you think you can roll with a rookie or substitute. As a full 1a starting G, no, I agree that's too much risk.

But for a guy who is only gonna do a selective 30 or so games (besides camp), and we see that fast hand, I still think this is a risk worth taking.

Besides, while I'm glad he came back to us (more or less) Biron got TOTALLY lost for a couple of weeks and looked really, really awful. So Biron today is not a sure thing, less so than a Biron of 5 years or so ago. But he still has it, and he still has value if he plays enough to keep sharp.

For sake of discussion, ASSUME Biron and reasonable + we can live with = Dylan Olsen (Black Hawks D).

I get the focus on Biron, but are you overlooking what we acquire?
It's one thing if it's a pick that helps down the road.
It's another thing if the compensation is a useful asset for now.

Olsen competes now, possibly making club now, replacing what we lost in Erixon. ..

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:32 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

Now if only Dowzak could actually skate!
Ah, those tall Ds, strong, crease clearing, esp. if they can shoot..

Old
07-27-2012, 01:39 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
I appreciate your 2 cents inferring the value I suggested might be good.

I got the loud + clear from you and others that we don't do it now.

Respectfully disagree.
Move Biron while his value is highest IF you think you can roll with a rookie or substitute. As a full 1a starting G, no, I agree that's too much risk.

But for a guy who is only gonna do a selective 30 or so games (besides camp), and we see that fast hand, I still think this is a risk worth taking.

Besides, while I'm glad he came back to us (more or less) Biron got TOTALLY lost for a couple of weeks and looked really, really awful. So Biron today is not a sure thing, less so than a Biron of 5 years or so ago. But he still has it, and he still has value if he plays enough to keep sharp.

For sake of discussion, ASSUME Biron and reasonable + we can live with = Dylan Olsen (Black Hawks D).

I get the focus on Biron, but are you overlooking what we acquire?
It's one thing if it's a pick that helps down the road.
It's another thing if the compensation is a useful asset for now.

Olsen competes now, possibly making club now, replacing what we lost in Erixon. ..
The 20 games that our backup will play is a lot. Trade Biron and you end up right back with Hank needing to play 70+ games and being worn out by the playoffs. This is not a good idea.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Senorchris

Quote:
Move Biron while his value is highest IF you think you can roll with a rookie or substitute
Biron was just signed as a UFA. GMs do not trade just-signed UFAs - it's seen as one hell of a faux-pas. I assume that if you needed to for whatever reason, you'd allow the player to pick their destination, and 'trade' them for a conditional 7th, or what not.

Senorchris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:18 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
The 20 games that our backup will play is a lot. Trade Biron and you end up right back with Hank needing to play 70+ games and being worn out by the playoffs. This is not a good idea.
This is 100% valid and accurate criticism IF you think Talbot in 20-25 games = fail, and his development would actually be hindered despite facing serious snipers in practice, AND if you don't think the return for Biron is at least = if not greater than value of keeping Biron.

Olsen >> Biron
Talbot can hold the fort. I do not think he is fail here, especially if he is eased into lower NHL competition.

Risky move, yes.
IMO reward worth risk.

Old
07-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

What makes you think Talbot can hold down the position? We've seen over and over (or have you forgotten the games played after Vallie fell apart--and yes, I think those games hurt Johnson's development) what happens when the organization doesn't have a solid, veteran backup goaltender. The result, in case anyone has forgotten is Lundqvist gets overused.

Lundqvist is coming off a great season (gee, he finally won the Vezina even) and his best performance in the playoffs. Why mess with success?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote