HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

All Purpose Proposals Mashup Pt. II

View Poll Results: would you sign morrison
yes 13 19.70%
no 53 80.30%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-09-2012, 01:24 AM
  #701
YotesFan47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Country: United States
Posts: 588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Undersized, does not go to the dirty area's-fires shots from the perimeter, lack of finish, non existent physical game.

He is fast, Non liability usually in his own end, has decent hands, but cant seem to put it together.
The positives you listed is why I think he would be good in Tipps system along with a change of pace might help him regain his ability to be offensively productive.

YotesFan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:26 AM
  #702
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 7,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
How do you know that? We haven't tried anything else. He hasn't excelled since his breakout year.

That money could be put to an upgrade, or the roster spot could be given to young blood.

We have PKers, he doesn't have the physical profile to be able to compete on the 3rd or 4th line. And he's obviously not the solution for the 2nd line.

He had a good go, it's time for some change.
If we can sign Semin or Doan and we're too close to the cap, then fine. We haven't signed either and we are nowhere near the cap now - especially with Luongo seemingly headed out soon.

If Jensen and Kassian steps up this year? Great! But we don't know that yet.

We can kick Raymond loose for lower value once one of the two things I mentioned materialize.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:27 AM
  #703
AvantiCanada*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,407
vCash: 500
I personally don't think Raymond fits with the Canucks and his time here is likely done, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be a nice reclamation project for another team.

A slower team with a bigger top 6 would really welcome Raymond, imo.

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:28 AM
  #704
Orca Smash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,079
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post
I personally don't think Raymond fits with the Canucks and his time here is likely done, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be a nice reclamation project for another team.

A slower team with a bigger top 6 would really welcome Raymond, imo.
Agreed, you probably phrased my point alot better then i did.

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:32 AM
  #705
Horse
Go Canucks!
 
Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cariboo, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
I just dont understand this argument for him. He is in the top 6 being relied on for offense mainly because hes not a bottom 6 type player. Dale weise is also decent in his own zone, but hes a fringe player in our line up, av even said that a couple times this past year he needs raymond to produce offensively. Hes not really built for a bottom 6 role either. I actually agreed with av going with a checking line, and more physical 4th line this year.

As for his defensive skill, he is not a liability for sure (- kopitar) but hes not this amazing penalty kill specialist some make him out to be. His lack of physical game makes him less effective in our own zone in certain area's where he cant win puck battles.

Personally i just dont think hes a fit on our team, but a team like the jets or Columbus could take a chance on him.
I like him more on the third line, I don't think he's bad there.
I don't know, I think he's useful when the team gets injuries since he can move around the lineup and hasn't looked out of place when stuck at center. I think he's above average defensively personally. He's had some injuries that have really hurt him to so there's probably nowhere to go but up for him.
He doesn't make a ton of money or anything, to go out and sign a free agent that's much better than him at what he makes is hard.

Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:57 PM
  #706
biturbo19
Registered User
 
biturbo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
If we can sign Semin or Doan and we're too close to the cap, then fine. We haven't signed either and we are nowhere near the cap now - especially with Luongo seemingly headed out soon.

If Jensen and Kassian steps up this year? Great! But we don't know that yet.

We can kick Raymond loose for lower value once one of the two things I mentioned materialize.
This.

It just doesn't make sense to dump off decent NHL players for pennies on the dime just because some fans don't like him. Even if you hate him, you can't deny that he's an NHL calibre player, and if we're not otherwise using all of our extra cap space, why get rid of a versatile (if underwhelming) asset who is essentially bottomed out value-wise?

If we bring in some additional players and we're snug up against the salary cap...yeah, sure, Raymond is among the first expendables to ship out to make room. But we're not even remotely close to that happening right now. So why throw the guy away for something that doesn't help us now or represent good value for the future? The odds of say a 3rd round pick panning out to be a defensively responsible 20g scorer on a reasonable contract like Raymond can be aren't very good. So why give up the known asset for a shiny new 'mystery box' that could very likely turn out to be a complete miss, or even more fringe player than Raymond...5 years down the line? We're trying to win now.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:33 PM
  #707
MrCanuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
This.

It just doesn't make sense to dump off decent NHL players for pennies on the dime just because some fans don't like him. Even if you hate him, you can't deny that he's an NHL calibre player, and if we're not otherwise using all of our extra cap space, why get rid of a versatile (if underwhelming) asset who is essentially bottomed out value-wise?

If we bring in some additional players and we're snug up against the salary cap...yeah, sure, Raymond is among the first expendables to ship out to make room. But we're not even remotely close to that happening right now. So why throw the guy away for something that doesn't help us now or represent good value for the future? The odds of say a 3rd round pick panning out to be a defensively responsible 20g scorer on a reasonable contract like Raymond can be aren't very good. So why give up the known asset for a shiny new 'mystery box' that could very likely turn out to be a complete miss, or even more fringe player than Raymond...5 years down the line? We're trying to win now.
Well said!

MrCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:18 PM
  #708
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 4,609
vCash: 50
Canucks are running out of time. I think they should chase Esposito and Winchester and invite Morrison and Brule to camp.

Luongo to Anahiem for Ryan. Add pieces as needed to get it done.

On defense, try Barker. He can be like Rome, with a shot. Foster, too.

Goalies are getting scarce, too. Sign Sexsmith.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:33 PM
  #709
mstad101
Registered User
 
mstad101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Canucks are running out of time. I think they should chase Esposito and Winchester and invite Morrison and Brule to camp.

Luongo to Anahiem for Ryan. Add pieces as needed to get it done.

On defense, try Barker. He can be like Rome, with a shot. Foster, too.

Goalies are getting scarce, too. Sign Sexsmith.
Obviously you've never heard of Jonas Hiller.
Retreads like Morrison and Wichester are played out. Not an upgrade to the team as is.
Esposito is a meh prospect that hasnt been able to make any impact at the AHL level.

Brule is a decent option if he's still around during training camp without a contract. But I'm sure he's going to get even a small contract offer before than.

Barker couldn't even keep a roster spot on the Wild who were using like 4 first or second season Dmen on the roster. Foster is a terrible player whose slower than molasses. Not the type of depth Dmen we should consider.

Guys like Dan Ellis are still available as proven NHL back ups.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:17 PM
  #710
CanucksAtif
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: not telling
Country: Canada
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
2005-06: Vishnevskiy was selected 68th overall in the 2005 CHL Import Draft by the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies and made an impact for them right away. He had nearly point per game from the blue line and earned a spot on the QMJHLís Rookie All-Star Team (and in the CHL Top Prospects game). However, he was a surprise omission from the Russian U18 World Championships team. His departure for North America probably had a lot to do with the decision to leave him off the squad. Vishnevskiy did play for Team Russia (í88) in the Five Nations Tournament.

2006-07: The Stars used their first-round pick (27th overall) in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft to select Vishnevskiy. He returned to the Huskies and once again lead the clubís defensemen in points. He made some minor strides towards improving his defensive play and jumped from a plus-1 to a plus-9 -- scoring less on a worse team. Vishnevskiy also appeared in two games for Russia in the ADT Canada-Russia Challenge.

2007-08: On July 18, 2007, the Stars signed Vishnevskiy to a three-year entry-level deal. He was returned to Rouyn-Noranda once more where he had a point per game (45 in 45) but did not have as strong of a playoffs. He was nominated as a second-team QMJHL All-Star for his regular season efforts however. He also joined the Russian team for six games in Canada-Russia Jrs. Super Series, but only notched one goal during the series. Vishnevskiy was once again left off the World Juniors (U20) roster, this time because of a knee injury.
2008-09: Vishnevskiy got his first taste of professional hockey with the Peoria Rivermen this season. His numbers werenít exactly awe-inspiring (19 points and a minus-5 in 67 games). For much of his time in Peoria, his play wasnít exactly inspired either. Vishnevskiy seemed almost bored with his time in the AHL. If thereís one thing that kept him busy, however, it was improving his defensive play over the course of the year Ė which he did. But it wasnít until he was recalled to Dallas for the last three games of the season did we see whatís to come for the talented and dynamic Vishnevskiy.


Talent Analysis
A fluid skater, Vishnevskiy has all the offensive tools to become a powerplay quarterback in the NHL. Heís undersized and only average in his own end, two things that will work against him at the professional level. However, he has the vision and skill set that enable him to be a great puck-mover. Reads plays well and has the skating ability to stay in the play defensively, but isnít consistent enough in that regard. Needs to figure out a way to handle power forwards effectively.

Future


Potential: Second pairing offensive defenseman and power play quarterback, similar to Lubomir Visnovsky.

With Sergei Zubovís future in some question, Vishnevskiy may have shown enough in his short stint to be penciled into the 2009-10 Stars starting lineup

CanucksAtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:26 PM
  #711
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Horvat2Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,800
vCash: 50
^How is that relevant to anything? This proposal was made years ago. Dallas traded Visnevsky and a 3 rd iIIRC for Kari Lehtonen.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:29 PM
  #712
CanucksAtif
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: not telling
Country: Canada
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
And the Canucks Updated roster is forwards David Booth,Alex Burrows, Andrew Ebebet, Jannik hansen, Chris Higgins, Zack Kassian, Ryan Kesler, Maxim Lapierre, Manny Malhotra,
Steven Pinizzotto, Mason Raymond,Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Aaron Volpatti.

Defencemen

Andrew Alberts, Keith Ballard, Kevin Bieksa, Alex Edler, Jason Garrison, Dan Hamhuis, Derek Joslin, Patrick, Mullen, Chris tanev

Goalies

Cory Schneider
Roberto Luongo

CanucksAtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:30 PM
  #713
CanucksAtif
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: not telling
Country: Canada
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
But that was a good trade

CanucksAtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:32 PM
  #714
CanucksAtif
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: not telling
Country: Canada
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Plus the Canucks Should do this
Luongo and 2013 7th round pick for Ryan
And get Cam barker to replace Rome
And goalies I do not what one's to sign

CanucksAtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:33 PM
  #715
CanucksAtif
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: not telling
Country: Canada
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
One More thing Canucks are going for Shane Doan and Christbal Huet

CanucksAtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:34 PM
  #716
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
I just dont understand this argument for him. He is in the top 6 being relied on for offense mainly because hes not a bottom 6 type player.
Raymond was being relied upon for offence because he produced at a 2nd line level for two seasons on Kesler's wing and Kesler also had great years with him there.

2m for a guy that put up 2+p/60 for two seasons is a great deal, even if he ends up being the 13th forward.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:46 PM
  #717
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Horvat2Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,800
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksAtif View Post
Plus the Canucks Should do this
Luongo and 2013 7th round pick for Ryan
And get Cam barker to replace Rome
And goalies I do not what one's to sign
Give me one good reason on why the Ducks do that trade? They have a guy named Jonas Hiller in net, he's pretty good.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:32 PM
  #718
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksAtif View Post
Plus the Canucks Should do this
Luongo and 2013 7th round pick for Ryan
And get Cam barker to replace Rome
And goalies I do not what one's to sign
This is from a locked thread on the Trade Rumors link:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
Bjugstad and Matthias for Roberto.

If that was the deal to go down, what would people think?

I for one would be happy with just Bjugstad alone for Roberto.
I think that Canuck fans better get used to the fact that Luongo is pretty much not tradeable if you expect any sort of return for him. I remember being ripped on this web site for saying so many months ago. Whoever trades for him is going to absorb a huge contract, you better get resigned to one mid-level prospect or a high second round pick ONLY, unless you take back a bad contract, which is not what Vancouver wants to do.

I'm not a Panther fan but I live near them and Bjugstad is going NOWHERE. He is a rare talent at center with his size.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1171701&page=4

(Starts with post #77 - read the comments below it, particularly #86 - the scenario I pointed out back then is playing out right now)


Last edited by leeroggy: 08-09-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: grammar
leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:42 PM
  #719
Co Ho*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
I think, realistically, Luongo is worth: a mid level prospect (Colborne/Ashton), 2nd round pick (or late 1st from a competitive team), and a reasonable salary dump (someone like Upshall).

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 08:11 AM
  #720
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
I think, realistically, Luongo is worth: a mid level prospect (Colborne/Ashton), 2nd round pick (or late 1st from a competitive team), and a reasonable salary dump (someone like Upshall).
Does anyone on this board have any insight on what:

1) Has been offered to date?

2) Vancouver has asked for?

The thing to remember in all this is that what he is worth is not the important factor, it is how do you dump that contract? The value of dumping the contract before free agency was even greater than it is now. Vancouver waited too long, now they are likely stuck for awhile with Luongo on the roster. And the offer prices FALL with time as the team looks more desperate to solve the issue. The sleeper issue on this is what happens to team chemistry if the trade is not made and Schneider is not the starter? Will the locker room splinter into Luongo and Schneider factions?

Why even play with that? Take the second round pick and MOVE ON!

I am an Islander fan and watched this play out during the Stanley Cup run. We had both Chico Resch (the VERY popular number one) with Billy Smith backing him up. Resch was the long time starter until the first cup in 1980 when Smith took over (not unlike Schneider taking over late this year without the win) In order to send the message to the team that Smith would be the number one going forward they dealt Resch to Colorado in a trade that was pretty lopsided for Colorado. It wasn't the most popular trade with the fans or the teammates but it SETTLED THE ISSUE going forward. You need to do the same thing. I'm sure there are other instances in NHL history where the same thing occurred. Luongo's pride will not allow him to sit on the bench without it emotionally getting to him.


Last edited by leeroggy: 08-10-2012 at 08:19 AM. Reason: add to it
leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:31 AM
  #721
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,911
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Does anyone on this board have any insight on what:

1) Has been offered to date?

2) Vancouver has asked for?

The thing to remember in all this is that what he is worth is not the important factor, it is how do you dump that contract? The value of dumping the contract before free agency was even greater than it is now. Vancouver waited too long, now they are likely stuck for awhile with Luongo on the roster. And the offer prices FALL with time as the team looks more desperate to solve the issue. The sleeper issue on this is what happens to team chemistry if the trade is not made and Schneider is not the starter? Will the locker room splinter into Luongo and Schneider factions?

Why even play with that? Take the second round pick and MOVE ON!

I am an Islander fan and watched this play out during the Stanley Cup run. We had both Chico Resch (the VERY popular number one) with Billy Smith backing him up. Resch was the long time starter until the first cup in 1980 when Smith took over (not unlike Schneider taking over late this year without the win) In order to send the message to the team that Smith would be the number one going forward they dealt Resch to Colorado in a trade that was pretty lopsided for Colorado. It wasn't the most popular trade with the fans or the teammates but it SETTLED THE ISSUE going forward. You need to do the same thing. I'm sure there are other instances in NHL history where the same thing occurred. Luongo's pride will not allow him to sit on the bench without it emotionally getting to him.
Why are you getting mad at us? Send a letter to Gillis explaining why he should take a 2nd for Luongo. We as fans are perfectly within or rights to expect a decent return for arguably the 3rd best player on our team.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:08 AM
  #722
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Why are you getting mad at us? Send a letter to Gillis explaining why he should take a 2nd for Luongo. We as fans are perfectly within or rights to expect a decent return for arguably the 3rd best player on our team.
Getting mad at you??

I'm just trying to point out why the longer this goes the bigger a risk it is for the team. I'm just making a point that sometimes worth has to take a back seat to solving a potential problem. Don't get so touchy! Look, I'd like to see Luongo back in South Florida, I eat at his in-law's restaurant a lot! You can hope all you want but you backed yourself into a real hole here and now you just need to end it.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:39 PM
  #723
Dr Good Vibes
Registered User
 
Dr Good Vibes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Getting mad at you??

I'm just trying to point out why the longer this goes the bigger a risk it is for the team. I'm just making a point that sometimes worth has to take a back seat to solving a potential problem. Don't get so touchy! Look, I'd like to see Luongo back in South Florida, I eat at his in-law's restaurant a lot! You can hope all you want but you backed yourself into a real hole here and now you just need to end it.
What hole has been backed into ?

It's painfully obvious to me that Gillis has a completely different opinion and approach to moving Luongo than all of the fans who think we have impending doom on the horizon.

Gillis is patient, intelligent and pragmatic. He'd rather wait as long as possible to get the best offer than panic and hit the trigger on a deal for a 2nd. Really that's a laughable idea on it's own because I'm sure there's better offers standing already.

He's also shown that if a player becomes a problem (Hodgson) that he will be moved. If Loungo becomes a problem, he'll be moved. No worry. I think some fans are going to be shocked at how good the return is on the goalie trade when it happens.

Dr Good Vibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:21 PM
  #724
myrocketsgotcracked
Registered User
 
myrocketsgotcracked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country:
Posts: 1,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Getting mad at you??

I'm just trying to point out why the longer this goes the bigger a risk it is for the team. I'm just making a point that sometimes worth has to take a back seat to solving a potential problem. Don't get so touchy! Look, I'd like to see Luongo back in South Florida, I eat at his in-law's restaurant a lot! You can hope all you want but you backed yourself into a real hole here and now you just need to end it.
ideally luongo would've been traded by now for a top 6 forward and a top 4 D. didn't happen, but doesn't mean that is a bad thing. i fail to see how going into next season (whenever that is) with TWO #1 goalie is a bad thing. a few teams out there doesn't even have one. last year down the stretch it was all luongo + schneider getting us wins, when our offense was MIA. with our offense not improved (on paper), keeping luongo to go along with schneider might just be the best thing moving forward.

myrocketsgotcracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:07 PM
  #725
MadaCanuckle
Registered User
 
MadaCanuckle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lisboa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Give me one good reason on why the Ducks do that trade? They have a guy named Jonas Hiller in net, he's pretty good.
If you add the Leafs and ship Hiller to them, that's a start.

MadaCanuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.