HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2012 CBJ Offseason Part III (Proposals, Speculations, Blog Rumors, etc. go here)

Old
07-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Yep, Howson is nuts. All that separated this 30th place team from the Stanley Cup is one $7 million dollar winger...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:17 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Yep, Howson is nuts. All that separated this 30th place team from the Stanley Cup is one $7 million dollar winger...
Damn, why did we trade away Nash then?!?!

ClevelandJacketFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Stretch Factor

Semin would have been terrible for this team. He is not a Lunch Pail type of player.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

To answer the OP...

No.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:32 PM
bizzz

Would you put together a group of hardworking guys that make $3-5 mil. a year and then bring in a 7 mil. lazy ass? Only someone who didn't know what his former teammates were saying about Semin could think of adding him to this team:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...R4rJ_blog.html

Quote:
Alexander Semin “just doesn’t care”

bizzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusBlueJackets View Post
Right now the Blue Jackets need a top 6 right winger and Semin would have been a great fit into the line-up.

What are your thoughts?
__________________________________________________ _______________________
Howson is and we need
Nope. No reaosn to go against everything they are trying to accomplish. They want to build the team with character guys yet signing Semin is the complete opposite of that stance.

If we had signed him, it would show complete disorganization in management. Even more than what we are used to.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
Nope. No reaosn to go against everything they are trying to accomplish. They want to build the team with character guys yet signing Semin is the complete opposite of that stance.

If we had signed him, it would show complete disorganization in management. Even more than what we are used to.
Agreed. I, for one, will proudly stand by my stance against Alexander Semin from day 1. There was/is no reason to have that guy around, and I'm certainly glad we didn't blow the $7m that Carolina just did.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:05 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

We've got a plan. Might as well execute it and find out if it's the right one or not. If we deviate (again), we'll never know.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Right now the Blue Jackets need a top 6 right winger and Semin would have been a great fit into the line-up.

What are your thoughts?
__________________________________________________ _______________________
Howson is and we need
Just one....

Why????

No amount of scoring he might contribute is worth doing a 180 on all the things that have been done.

1) We just moved Nash, signing Semin would be like taking one step forward and at least two steps back.

2) A definitive plan appears to moving in to place, again Semin one step forward two steps back.

3) 7 million Dollars, not that cap space is a problem, but you never can tell what might happen with a new CBA and how valuable that space might suddenly become.

I post, therefore I am.

Last edited by Roadman: 07-27-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:41 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Ok. I didn't want to start a new thread so I'll add this here:

Topic of Dscussion: The Cleveland Browns were sold today. The Browns came back in 1999, one year before the CBJ started playing and, arguably, have had very similar paths in terms of successes on the field/ice. How would you feel if McConnell and most of the other minorities decided to sell their stakes to someone else?

I say this because we had no inkling this deal was in the works and the NFL is the biggest league in the United States in terms of revenue and popularity where there really is no "offseason". The fact that this was kept under wraps as long as it was in the 24 hour news and rumor cycle is incredible.

Or, on the same note: Do you think this is the last "build attempt" ownership as we known it will stomach if it fails?

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:17 PM
EDM

I would cheer the removal of John McConnell as an owner. He is a dunce. Period.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:54 AM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
++. The team isn't going anywhere so I'd welcome a change in ownership.

ThisIsMyAlibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I find the very suggestion to be offensive and insulting.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:19 AM
davidbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Ok. I didn't want to start a new thread so I'll add this here:

Topic of Dscussion: The Cleveland Browns were sold today. The Browns came back in 1999, one year before the CBJ started playing and, arguably, have had very similar paths in terms of successes on the field/ice. How would you feel if McConnell and most of the other minorities decided to sell their stakes to someone else?

I say this because we had no inkling this deal was in the works and the NFL is the biggest league in the United States in terms of revenue and popularity where there really is no "offseason". The fact that this was kept under wraps as long as it was in the 24 hour news and rumor cycle is incredible.

Or, on the same note: Do you think this is the last "build attempt" ownership as we known it will stomach if it fails?
PROVIDED they don't move to Memphis (which is a rumor), I'm glad the Browns will have a new owner.

Provided the buyer was local and committed to keeping the Jackets in Columbus, I would have no problem with an ownership change. For me, Priest is the fly in the ointment, and I don't see him leaving unless ownership changed. Loved the old man; JR. could do better.

davidbklyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:42 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I find the very suggestion to be offensive and insulting.
How so?

He's obviously not a very good franchise owner. That's what most of the Ohio teams have in common - stupid ownership that doesn't know how to run a team.

It's nice that he and his family pay for the team to be here. That doesn't exempt people from calling him what he is.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:58 AM
ColumbusBlueJackets
Rookie User

McConnell should be gone. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't still have Howson as GM and we would still have Hitchcock as coach.

ColumbusBlueJackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 04:51 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
How so?

He's obviously not a very good franchise owner. That's what most of the Ohio teams have in common - stupid ownership that doesn't know how to run a team.

It's nice that he and his family pay for the team to be here. That doesn't exempt people from calling him what he is.
Agreed. This team needs changes from the top on down, and it doesn't get more "top" than them.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 50
If there is a change of ownership, I'd applaud it as long as the team didn't move. It doesn't have to be a local owner, just one that wants to win. Mark Cuban, come on down!!

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:38 AM
TheDoctorLies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
It doesn't have to be a local owner, just one that wants to win. Mark Cuban, come on down!!
I figure you're not serious, but Cuban would be a bad sign for this franchise, I think. Doesn't he own or partially own that arena out in KC? I imagine he'd be looking to move any NHL team he could potentially own out there.

TheDoctorLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
In the modern era of pro sports, the only actual removal of a team owner was Leonard Tose of the Philadelphia Eagles. That was related to his enormous gambling debts.

Basically, there's no real precedent to remove a team owner. And you REALLY don't want to start one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
How so?

Quote:
McConnell should be gone. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't still have Howson as GM and we would still have Hitchcock as coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Agreed. This team needs changes from the top on down, and it doesn't get more "top" than them.
I don't think there's any real clue of what team ownership actually involves. The idea that a team owner doesn't really care about the product as long as the team is profitable is completely asinine in the NHL; outside of a small handful of teams, everyone is vulnerable to severe dips in attendance and other revenue streams.

The other is that, with a limited idea of what goes into it, assigning "best" and "worst" labels to owners is crazy. I think that many people in the know would point to Craig Leipold as a horrid owner. He's a big reason why Nashville never had any real local business or corporate support, he's a big reason why the team struggled more than it should have in terms of attendance, and the contrast is apparent when he moved on and suddenly everyone got on board. So he goes to Minnesota, the team promptly declines, and the Wild's lengthy sellout streak snaps very soon.

So what happened this offseason? The team signed Parise and Suter. Does this mean that Leipold is suddenly an excellent owner? Does it mean that a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while? What does it really mean?

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:54 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
So what happened this offseason? The team signed Parise and Suter. Does this mean that Leipold is suddenly an excellent owner? Does it mean that a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while? What does it really mean?
What is means is if you are a good business owner but your moves don't like up with the fans, you are a moron. I don't agree with the moves that baby mac isn't making, but there is a solution to that.

Prove I am a good business owner, make my billion, and buy this team. All the rest of this is people that will be lucky to earn a million in their life calling someone who runs successful businesses morons.

It's not hard to see where these thoughts come from.

I'm not completely immune to it. I've called for Howson's head for years now. There is one difference however, I don't think Howson is a moron. He wouldn't have this job if he was. Baby Mac isn't stupid, however I tend to agree that he isn't making the best decisions in regards to those he trusts in the front office.

Would have to look at the results, but getting Suter and Parise might end up being a poor ownership move.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 03:04 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

On NHL Network right now! Dubinsky and Erixson playing on this replay of NYR vs. the Avs (from 3/17/2012)

Correction: Anisimov was out for this game with a shoulder injury.

Last edited by leesmith: 07-28-2012 at 03:17 PM.
leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:53 PM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
i cringe at the thought of this teams forwards once the injury bug hits

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:06 PM
jacketsinDC

The Fire Howson Train will return before long and I will still be on it.

Last edited by jacketsinDC: 07-28-2012 at 09:22 PM.
jacketsinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
i cringe at the thought of this teams forwards once the injury bug hits
You aren't the only one. Unfortunately, I don't know where else to find more guys to slot in that fit with the team concept at this point... unless, of course, NJ fails to sign Sykora, or we bring back the New "Improved" Gilbert Brule.

That said, the situation last year wasn't much better.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote