HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LA Kings Rolled Dice On Over-Agers Tanner Pearson, Thomas Hyka In 2012 NHL Draft

Old
07-23-2012, 10:02 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
LA Kings Rolled Dice On Over-Agers Tanner Pearson, Thomas Hyka In 2012 NHL Draft

Los Angeles Kings Rolled The Dice On Over-Agers Tanner Pearson, Thomas Hyka In 2012 NHL Draft

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:13 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Congrats on another well written article.

Great job of capturing Pearsons enthusiasm and dedication as well. Keep em coming and thanks for the hard work too.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:19 PM
ean

I like overagers. Personally, I feel the NHL draft happens way too young at 18. Overagers seem to be more mature and hungrier. I don't see how LA "rolled the dice", in fact I think when you draft overagers you get the opposite effect- it's less of a gamble. The only downside is you miss out on that high end upside.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Pucknut50

Being an overager myself I'm all for letting these senior citizens get their chance.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 04:37 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
I like overagers. Personally, I feel the NHL draft happens way too young at 18. Overagers seem to be more mature and hungrier. I don't see how LA "rolled the dice", in fact I think when you draft overagers you get the opposite effect- it's less of a gamble. The only downside is you miss out on that high end upside.
I think in this case, the fact that he's a bit of a late bloomer really worked in his favour. He put up a ton of points last year and seems to have found his stride.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:08 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
There are times, especially when the sun is coming up, and you haven't slept yet, that you can't come up with a good headline, no matter how much you wrack your brain. So, you come as close as you can, toss your hands in the air, publish the damned thing, and go to bed. :-)

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:29 AM
cyclones22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I think in this case, the fact that he's a bit of a late bloomer really worked in his favour. He put up a ton of points last year and seems to have found his stride.
That and in his initial draft year he was 5'8" and now he's supposedly pushing 6'1" according to Mike Futa. A growth spurt like that can do wonders when coupled with an NHL caliber shot and hands.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 04:56 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
There are times, especially when the sun is coming up, and you haven't slept yet, that you can't come up with a good headline, no matter how much you wrack your brain. So, you come as close as you can, toss your hands in the air, publish the damned thing, and go to bed. :-)
Go to the Style Guide and read the part about controversy sells and then change the title to something like "The Kings Select Benjamin Button" for the headline or "GM Lombardi Takes Senior Discount".

Yep, it is why I am not a writer.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:02 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
That and in his initial draft year he was 5'8" and now he's supposedly pushing 6'1" according to Mike Futa. A growth spurt like that can do wonders when coupled with an NHL caliber shot and hands.
This kid was a Futa pick. MF was very surprised that the kid "fell into our hands" and thinks that we just picked up a truly significant impact scoring forward. If you have ever spoken to MF you would know how much he guards his words so that is very high praise imo.

I am not as sold as MF but to me he might be one of the greatest scouts in the NHL over the past two decades.

FrozenRoyalty, is it possible for you to do an interview piece with Mike Futa? I mean an entire article dedicated to him (his scouting philosophy etc)?

I may be the only one who would love that but I think it would be a fascinating read. I talk with him from time to time very briefly and the guy has a very unusual scouting method and is avant guard to me.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Vino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
FrozenRoyalty, is it possible for you to do an interview piece with Mike Futa? I mean an entire article dedicated to him (his scouting philosophy etc)?

I may be the only one who would love that but I think it would be a fascinating read. I talk with him from time to time very briefly and the guy has a very unusual scouting method and is avant guard to me.
Definitely not only one. I love to read staff like that.

Vino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The one thing many say about Pearson is that he has an NHL quality shot. His skating seems average, but in some ways he reminds me of Justin Williams. Not the fastest or prettiest skater but he gets to where he wants to go and can make plays with the puck.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Go to the Style Guide and read the part about controversy sells and then change the title to something like "The Kings Select Benjamin Button" for the headline or "GM Lombardi Takes Senior Discount".

Yep, it is why I am not a writer.
Those were both very witty TG. Those were both better than The Olympic Opening Ceremony.

Boba Fettuccine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 03:41 PM
bbfrc

Stupidest misconception of a name to call a group of people. The prime on most pro sport athletes is 27-30. To state some one is over the age and is not draft worthy is shear ignorance. What defines a player besides their strength, quickness, agility, mental toughness and stamina is.....how much wear can their body handle and are they able to elevate their playing ability above or to the level that surrounds them currently. This is during their prime.

bbfrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:01 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Those were both very witty TG. Those were both better than The Olympic Opening Ceremony.
I don't know if that is a compliment or not .

I am still walking around talking to myself about how awful those ceremonies were, just brutally awful.

"Lombardi's caught exposing himself with over-agers"

Dean Lombardi has revealed what appears to be a fetish for drafting players who are older than the average prospect and in doing so exposing his drafting philosophy.........

Meh, still not very good.