HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #5

View Poll Results: Who is our #5 prospect?
D Brady Skjei 22 23.66%
C Michael St. Croix 7 7.53%
C Steven Fogarty 1 1.08%
LW Andrew Yogan 1 1.08%
RW Christian Thomas 40 43.01%
RW Jesper Fasth 22 23.66%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-27-2012, 12:16 PM
bigblue21

vCash: 500
skjei, but thomas is right there.

bigblue21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:39 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Everybody has different ways of looking at these things and no one's is necessarily particularly superior apart from the fact that there are probably a handful who have no clue.

Top 15--and I'm thinking I'll not be budging very much.

1. Kreider
2. Hagelin
3. Miller
4. Mcilrath
(so far I'm doing pretty good)
5. Skjei--size, skating and he knows how to play his position. The skating/size combination is a big deal. Going to a great college program. He easily projects IMO to at least a NHL top 4. Really no questions about him or his game--he just needs experience and development.
6. Fasth--I prefer keeping the h. The injury is a question. At the very least it sets back his development a bit.
7. Thomas--he's got good potential but he's no lock. More or less a top 6 player or bust.
8. St. Croix--Traverse City/training camp were not particularly good but he had an excellent year last year. Average size--but very creative. Maybe a lesser version of Stepan. He goes back to the WHL. He keeps it up--he should move up.
9. Nieves--looked good at the development camp. Great skater and a creative player. Good size. Red Berenson is going to be his coach for the next couple years. That in itself is worth something.
10. Hrivik--good size--came up big in the AHL playoffs. Seems to know how to finish. Questions about his skating.
11. Yogan--he may make a run at a job for the Rangers and is probably closer than a lot players but if he does make it he'll make it as a 4th liner and I don't see his NHL upside as more than a third liner. All in all that's very nice for a 4th rounder. A good pick.
12. Fogarty--Sometimes really hot in the BCHL and sometimes not so much. A really good prospect IMO but the coming year might tell us more about him than last year.
13. Andersson--looks like a really good sleeper pick to me.
14. Lindberg--good chance to be a bottom 6 NHL player. No chance to be a top 6. His cousin Tim Erixon just got traded. Wondering about how that's going to effect Oscar.
15. McColgan--Really like McColgan but he has some size issues. He plays a hard game for his size but I'm not sure he's got the talent to overcome that lack of size.
Went with Brady Skjei.
This is mostly my list, except I'm not as high on Thomas, and am a bit higher on Lindberg.

Well said summary, EB

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Voted Thomas

Add Lindberg.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:49 PM
TheRedViper

Fast, add Nieves

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:15 PM
kovazub94

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Everybody has different ways of looking at these things and no one's is necessarily particularly superior apart from the fact that there are probably a handful who have no clue.

Top 15--and I'm thinking I'll not be budging very much.

1. Kreider
2. Hagelin
3. Miller
4. Mcilrath
(so far I'm doing pretty good)
5. Skjei--size, skating and he knows how to play his position. The skating/size combination is a big deal. Going to a great college program. He easily projects IMO to at least a NHL top 4. Really no questions about him or his game--he just needs experience and development.
6. Fasth--I prefer keeping the h. The injury is a question. At the very least it sets back his development a bit.
7. Thomas--he's got good potential but he's no lock. More or less a top 6 player or bust.
8. St. Croix--Traverse City/training camp were not particularly good but he had an excellent year last year. Average size--but very creative. Maybe a lesser version of Stepan. He goes back to the WHL. He keeps it up--he should move up.
9. Nieves--looked good at the development camp. Great skater and a creative player. Good size. Red Berenson is going to be his coach for the next couple years. That in itself is worth something.
10. Hrivik--good size--came up big in the AHL playoffs. Seems to know how to finish. Questions about his skating.
11. Yogan--he may make a run at a job for the Rangers and is probably closer than a lot players but if he does make it he'll make it as a 4th liner and I don't see his NHL upside as more than a third liner. All in all that's very nice for a 4th rounder. A good pick.
12. Fogarty--Sometimes really hot in the BCHL and sometimes not so much. A really good prospect IMO but the coming year might tell us more about him than last year.
13. Andersson--looks like a really good sleeper pick to me.
14. Lindberg--good chance to be a bottom 6 NHL player. No chance to be a top 6. His cousin Tim Erixon just got traded. Wondering about how that's going to effect Oscar.
15. McColgan--Really like McColgan but he has some size issues. He plays a hard game for his size but I'm not sure he's got the talent to overcome that lack of size.
What a tough round (in a good way).

We've had quite a few prospects putting together great seasons last year. MSC, Yogan and Fogarty in particular. Among these, MSC and Fogarty also enjoyed superb seasons from their teams perspective. So went with MSC because his full potential seems higher to me than Fogarty's (first line vs top 6 with defensive upside) though not by much. Add Hrivik.

P.S. I'm a bit surprised to see Skjei jumping so high in the Rangers's prospect ranking considerations after just being drafted in late 1st round (anyone can remind me where Miller wind up last year right after the draft, and McIlrath a year before).

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:25 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Went with CT.

Fast has to prove that he has recovered from his injury this season. Fast might be more of the lock to make it if he recovers, Thomas has the offensive abilities to overcome his size. It's not like there aren't players his height in the NHL either.

Add Lindberg

Last edited by mrjimmyg89: 07-27-2012 at 05:49 PM.
mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12000
Skjei. Add Hvirik.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:25 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Went with CT.

Fast has to prove that he has recovered from his injury this season. Fast might be more of the lock to make it if he recovers, Thomas has the offensive abilities to overcome his size. It's not like there aren't players his height in the NHL either.
Fast simply has to return to a form he has already achieved in the 2nd/3rd best league in the world. Meanwhile, Thomas has consistently failed to overcome his size issues in every venue above juniors. I hope they both succeed, but as of now I have a lot more confidence in Fast.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Jesper Fast(h).

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:35 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Yogan. I think Yogan is the forward furthest along in his development, and, aside from Miller, the forward most likely to get ice time this year with the Rangers. Like Miller, I think Yogan's skill package is underrated.

Add Nieves.
Along with Miller, Yogan has a skill set than can transfer to a bottom 6 forward role.

I dont know if Yogan has the Hockey Sense yet to play a smart bottom 6 role.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Zil

Thomas, add Hrivik.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:38 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Skjei add Hrivik

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:51 PM
darko

Thomas, then Fasth

add Boo

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:50 AM
Rangerboy030

Thomas, add Boo Nieves

Rangerboy030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:09 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Skeji is a brand new young prospect...im shocked how many people are picking him over thomas, fast and yogan. Id like to see his development over the next year to fully watch him, then judge. He seems to have some serious talent though.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:32 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Skeji is a brand new young prospect...im shocked how many people are picking him over thomas, fast and yogan. Id like to see his development over the next year to fully watch him, then judge. He seems to have some serious talent though.
Again the size/skating combination and like it or not that is superior to all three of the above mentioned players. If we're looking at who is closest to making it then those three have an advantage as they've been developing longer. Skjei though is easily projectable as an NHL player because he has the size which can't be taught--he has the skating--considered by some to be the best pure skater in the 2012 draft and he works from a defense first mentality to fit into a role on whatever team he plays for. When caught out of position he's capable of recovering very quickly--ala McDonagh. He can catch players from behind or angle his way into a certain spot on the ice to cut them off. What he needs is to step up to tougher competition--get more experience--put on a bit more weight and get stronger--all things that should come naturally over the next two-three years.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Jxmarts

I voted for Fast over CT.

Christian Thomas had a great 2010-11, but he regressed last season. He served a 10 game suspension early last season, and he never got on track. I was a big fan of his before this. But the thing you need to see most in a prospect is steady improvement. It's a major red flag when a young player, despite his skills, takes a step backward at the same level. Former draft picks Brendl, Copley & Jessiman are examples. I'm hoping it was a glitch because of the suspension, but his performance last year means he has something to prove.

Fast was productive at a high level before his injury. I heard Pierre Mcguire say (on WFAN) that he thinks Fast has more offensive upside than Carl Hagelin. I'll go with Fast for now.

Add Boo for his size & speed.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote