HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL about to become best league in the world again!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2012, 06:58 PM
  #1
echlfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
AHL about to become best league in the world again!!!

With a pending lock out on the horizon it seems as though the AHL is about to become the best league in the world since the last lock out. Last lock out names like Speeza, Cammalleri, Vanek, Boyes, Staal, Bourque, Brown, Bergeron etc all played in the AHL and it was an amazing year.

What is your NHL farm team gonna look like if there is a lock out. All players on entry level deals are eligible to play down until the NHL or IF the NHL resumes.

Lets see who is the early favorite going into the season

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:34 PM
  #2
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 5,183
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Milwaukee could add Craig Smith, Gabriel Bourque, Ryan Ellis and Roman Josi.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:36 PM
  #3
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,106
vCash: 500
Colin Wilson just signed a 3 year deal, so I think he can't play in Milwaukee again. I will have to see who is still on an ELC.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:37 PM
  #4
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,106
vCash: 500
Thanks AF24!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:58 PM
  #5
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,308
vCash: 500
Don't think you will see near the same amount of stars as last time.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:47 AM
  #6
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,544
vCash: 500
Not sure who all will go down to Houston for the Wild but I would guess

Granlund
Brodin
Scandella
Spurgeon

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 04:05 AM
  #7
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,923
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
With a pending lock out on the horizon it seems as though the AHL is about to become the best league in the world since the last lock out. Last lock out names like Speeza, Cammalleri, Vanek, Boyes, Staal, Bourque, Brown, Bergeron etc all played in the AHL and it was an amazing year.

What is your NHL farm team gonna look like if there is a lock out. All players on entry level deals are eligible to play down until the NHL or IF the NHL resumes.

Lets see who is the early favorite going into the season
Yeah... The RSL and the SEL were still better back then

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 04:11 AM
  #8
JeffMangum
~Dylan~
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 57,474
vCash: 500
From the Rangers...Hagelin, Stepan, and McDonagh.

Not a bad group, I guess.

__________________


Everything about you is bringing me misery.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 04:38 AM
  #9
croAVSfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Country: Croatia
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
With a pending lock out on the horizon it seems as though the AHL is about to become the best league in the world since the last lock out. Last lock out names like Speeza, Cammalleri, Vanek, Boyes, Staal, Bourque, Brown, Bergeron etc all played in the AHL and it was an amazing year.

What is your NHL farm team gonna look like if there is a lock out. All players on entry level deals are eligible to play down until the NHL or IF the NHL resumes.

Lets see who is the early favorite going into the season

You really think that all of these players will stick in AHL ? 90% of them will go to Europe.

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:37 AM
  #10
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Philly maybe could send: Brayden Schenn, Sean Couturier, Matt Read, Erik Gustaffsson, Eric Wellwood down in a lockout

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:28 AM
  #11
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: Fiji
Posts: 27,725
vCash: 1
Elitserien and KHL will probably remain better than the AHL, as they'll get an influx of NHL players as well in the event of a lockout, too, and I get the feeling that the same would be true of a few other European leagues as well.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:22 AM
  #12
topchedda
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Radio Nowhere
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
With a pending lock out on the horizon it seems as though the AHL is about to become the best league in the world since the last lock out. Last lock out names like Speeza, Cammalleri, Vanek, Boyes, Staal, Bourque, Brown, Bergeron etc all played in the AHL and it was an amazing year.

What is your NHL farm team gonna look like if there is a lock out. All players on entry level deals are eligible to play down until the NHL or IF the NHL resumes.

Lets see who is the early favorite going into the season

The 'rumor' I have heard is, that if a player is under an NHL/AHL/ECHL (two way) contract.....the NHLPA is going to restrict these players from playing in the AHL/ECHL.

Just passing it along...

topchedda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:46 AM
  #13
Fayne Gretzky
Registered User
 
Fayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,455
vCash: 500
The Barons, who did very well last season, could add:

RNH, Yakupov, Hall, Eberle, and Justin Schultz....that could be pretty fun, actually

Fayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:10 AM
  #14
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGoingGagner View Post
The Barons, who did very well last season, could add:

RNH, Yakupov, Hall, Eberle, and Justin Schultz....that could be pretty fun, actually
I could see Yakupov/Rnh/Hall going to Europe.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:54 AM
  #15
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,923
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I could see Yakupov/Rnh/Hall going to Europe.
Young players who are still establishing themselves in the league could play in the AHL to show loyalty. For Yakupov it is integral since he would be approached for longer term contracts in KHL etc.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:15 PM
  #16
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Young players who are still establishing themselves in the league could play in the AHL to show loyalty. For Yakupov it is integral since he would be approached for longer term contracts in KHL etc.
They could but it would not shock me if players are told it would be better if they went over to Europe.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:23 PM
  #17
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,923
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
They could but it would not shock me if players are told it would be better if they went over to Europe.
Agreed. NHL mainstays would have a hard time accepting the low salaries of the AHL; and they could very well want to play in a better league.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:45 PM
  #18
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGoingGagner View Post
The Barons, who did very well last season, could add:

RNH, Yakupov, Hall, Eberle, and Justin Schultz....that could be pretty fun, actually
Yakupov isn't even eligible to play in the AHL, lockout or not.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:12 PM
  #19
Baronsfan
Registered User
 
Baronsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Elitserien and KHL will probably remain better than the AHL, as they'll get an influx of NHL players as well in the event of a lockout, too, and I get the feeling that the same would be true of a few other European leagues as well.
I think the KHL is without a doubt the second best league in the world, behind the NHL. After that is where you could start making claims. SEL vs AHL is hard to compare the two. AHL has so much turnover and your best players don't last as long, but I'm not sure if the actual skill level is that different. They also play such a different style that it's like comparing apples and oranges. A few former SEL players that have stopped in OKC has said that both leagues are a toss up as far as quality goes. Lander, Paajarvi, Omark, Gerber, Moran etc.

AHL has it beat in depth. If you decreased the AHL to a 12 team league then you wouldn't see so many AHL/ECHL tweeners. I have little doubt that the top 12 teams in the AHL could compete against Elitserien.

If the AHL could pay the players as well as SEL does, then that would help the AHL's case also.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:02 PM
  #20
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchedda View Post
The 'rumor' I have heard is, that if a player is under an NHL/AHL/ECHL (two way) contract.....the NHLPA is going to restrict these players from playing in the AHL/ECHL.

Just passing it along...
Why would you restrict players from their own back yards? It doesn't make any sense. There could be safety issues playing in Russia or some other countries. Look at Pekka Rinne, he was attacked by two guys in his home country a few years ago and missed half a season with a severe shoulder injury. How is risking a player's health and career in a foreign country helpful to the NHLPA?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:06 AM
  #21
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,308
vCash: 500
What if these eligible players don’t want to go to the AHL? I mean do they have to play at all this season?

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:58 AM
  #22
LOFIN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Why would you restrict players from their own back yards? It doesn't make any sense. There could be safety issues playing in Russia or some other countries. Look at Pekka Rinne, he was attacked by two guys in his home country a few years ago and missed half a season with a severe shoulder injury. How is risking a player's health and career in a foreign country helpful to the NHLPA?
Bringing in the safety argument is stupid. I will admit that Russia might be a mysterious place but if you don't go look for trouble it won't find you. And Pekka Rinne got attacked couple of years ago, after a guy from his group had caused damage to the suspects car and Rinne and his group had insulted him with racial slurs. Trust me, Europe isn't more dangerous than USA. Actually, apart from Russia, quite the opposite.

IMO we will see lots of players heading for their home countries, and the North Americans will mostly head for the KHL and SEL and some extent, SM-liiga.

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:55 PM
  #23
axecrew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
What if these eligible players don’t want to go to the AHL? I mean do they have to play at all this season?
They really have no choice.....if their team tells them they have to play in the AHL they either report or get suspended and not paid. Doubt many of them have enough money to live on stock-piled away like a vet does.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:59 AM
  #24
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFIN View Post
Bringing in the safety argument is stupid. I will admit that Russia might be a mysterious place but if you don't go look for trouble it won't find you. And Pekka Rinne got attacked couple of years ago, after a guy from his group had caused damage to the suspects car and Rinne and his group had insulted him with racial slurs. Trust me, Europe isn't more dangerous than USA. Actually, apart from Russia, quite the opposite.

IMO we will see lots of players heading for their home countries, and the North Americans will mostly head for the KHL and SEL and some extent, SM-liiga.
No, it isn't! Years ago, the Cincinnati Reds sent one of their young pitchers to Puerto Rico to play winter ball during their off season. He was supposed to gain some more experience, but only pitch a certain number of total innings. The manager down there played him more than double the limit. It ruined the guys arm and career. Nothing was nefarious, but the Reds lost a future star player because he was out of their control and the manager in PR wanted to win instead of following their deal.

The Rinne details that I heard were: He was walking home from a wedding and was attacked by two guys who seemed to be waiting for him. It could be consistant with your version, but those other details are new to me over here in the US. I tried to find out more about that story at the time, but really could not. Makes me think that there was a cover up about what really happened.

I have been in the UK, Germany, Austria and Czech Republic; those all seemed safe.

No one has answered how this is helpful to the NHLPA.


Last edited by adsfan: 07-28-2012 at 10:06 AM.
adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:29 AM
  #25
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
What if these eligible players don’t want to go to the AHL? I mean do they have to play at all this season?
I agree with axecrew. Why would you sign a deal with an NHL team and then break it? They usually only want guys who are good enough, mentally mature enough to leave their home countries, language and customs behind, to come over here and develop their game. A lot of guys stay over in Europe for an extra season so they don't get rushed into the North American style game on the smaller ice.

Your question seems to be asking about the opposite of what I have observed in the last 10 years. Milwaukee (Nashville affiliate) had 4 guys from Finland on the team last season. One will return there this year. One was an RFA after 4 years who signed with Severstal Cherepovets . The other two are expected to return to Milwaukee.

Patrick Cehlin of Sweden signed a three-year two-way deal with Nashville. I expect to see him in Milwaukee this season.


Last edited by adsfan: 07-28-2012 at 11:06 AM.
adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.