HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2012, 02:24 PM
free0717

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
While I hesitate to make definitive statements like that, I agree the Rangers would have been much better in the playoffs with Sauer healthy.
I think they beat the devils w/ a healthy Sauer. A bunch of goals that were Bickels fault would not be scored if Sauer in lineup

Old
07-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Agreed. Where we will likely see a Staal/Sauer matchup is on the PK, while MDZ will get additional icetime on the PP. A healthy Sauer locks down this deep as the deepest and one of the strongest defensive corps in the league. I think Dagoon is correct that a healthy Sauer would have made a huge difference in last year's playoff run.
That must be the first time ever that I and Dagoon agree on something.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers have best defense in the NHL with a healthy Sauer.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:15 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
I am going to say this and you guys can jump all over me but if Mike Sauer is healthy and playing in the playoffs the Rangers win the cup.. He would have played 18-22 mins a game and provided a right handed shot other then Bickel he is great in his own end and legit mean in front of hank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I actually agree, although I do believe the lack of legitimate options beyond the top-3 forward lines is what ultimately killed us, coupled with some injuries to Dubinsky/Callahan/Gaborik.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I don't think we would've beat the Kings though. They dominated the Devils and were well rested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
i agree. mcdonagh and girardi were probably gassed by the end of the season so sauer would have made a big difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
i think it was a matter of scoring, really. the defense was good. sauer would have been a great boost, but he wasn't going to get them more goals. they were only giving up a couple goals a game to the devils.

Nash & a healthy Sauer, they beat the Debbies and MAYBE the Kings.

Looking forward to this:

McD--Girardi
Staal--Sauer
MDZ--McIlrath

Old
07-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
Okay, don't shoot me for bringing this up but is Gilroy an option as 7th D-man? He is better than Bickel...
I'd take Bickel over him any day of the week. At least Stu is a ******* man. Gilroy had the grit of a damp shoe string.

"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Old
07-29-2012, 08:17 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I'd take Bickel over him any day of the week. At least Stu is a ******* man. Gilroy had the grit of a damp shoe string.
For a 7th Defenseman, I would take Bickel. He can be inserted into the lineup when we need a physical presence and can play forward on the 4th line. Gilroy is more suited to regular duty.

If Sauer is making the progress Maloney says, then what we need to do is sign a couple of NHL/AHL vets that will be stored in Hartford and brought up for injury.

We need the depth. Maybe Steve Eminger. I think we have to wait till after training camp to find these guys because they will be the rejects after the training camp tryouts.

Old
07-29-2012, 08:20 AM
YoungD4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

Looking forward to this:

McD--Girardi
Staal--Sauer
MDZ--McIlrath
you think MDZ and McIlarth would play together?

Old
07-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Dactyl
stats are pure CRAP

Quote:

Looking forward to this:

McD--Girardi
Staal--Sauer
MDZ--McIlrath
stralsy was great for us in the playoffs and good in reg season too. he scored goals and played solid defense.

Old
07-29-2012, 09:45 AM
egelband

if sauer and mcilrath are healthy and playing in ny, the rangers should be going very far in the playoffs (barring other major injuries, of course).

Old
07-29-2012, 09:47 AM
egelband

Quote:

Looking forward to this:

McD--Girardi
Staal--Sauer
MDZ--McIlrath
this lineup would be a thrill, though i might play staal with girardi and sauer with mcd. mdz and mcilrath together might be a bit green but it's nit-picking at that point. what a great lineup.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:30 PM
NYR713

I think if McIlrath is healthy he will stay play most of the season in CT, getting the call up for injury purposes like Erixon did last season. But, if NY could get Sauer back at some point, our defense would be lethal.

Right hand shots:
Girardi
Sauer
Stralman

Lefties:
McD
Staal
MDZ

Old
07-29-2012, 12:35 PM
RangerBlues

What exactly is Sauer doing now? Is he skating? Working out? Or like Crosby said reprogramming his brain.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:09 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

Hoping for a speedy recovery. His presence makes our defense that much more solid.

Healthy Sauer + healthy Gaborik may make us cup favorites

Old
07-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Hire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Some of you make comments like everything is so cut and dry "with this player and this player we beat the devils and the kings!!"

please, we can have a better team next year, play better, and lose in the 2nd round instead of the 3rd because thats how hockey works. Bad breaks, hot goalies, poor goalies..

Old
07-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

2 things about the recent activity in this thread:

1. While I think a healthy Sauer certainly would've helped, the Rangers main problem was not being able to score goals throughout the playoffs, including the Devils series - so someone will have to really convince me how Michael Sauer and his 4 career goals is suddenly the difference between winning and losing

2. I'd take anything Maloney says with a grain of salt these days. Each year he seems to get a little worse when it comes to exuding sunshine and rainbows regarding all things Rangers. In this instance, I hope hes right and Sauer is truly on the road back to be playing pro hockey sometime soon, but I wouldnt bank on it, thats for sure.

Old
07-30-2012, 04:21 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
2 things about the recent activity in this thread:

1. While I think a healthy Sauer certainly would've helped, the Rangers main problem was not being able to score goals throughout the playoffs, including the Devils series - so someone will have to really convince me how Michael Sauer and his 4 career goals is suddenly the difference between winning and losing

2. I'd take anything Maloney says with a grain of salt these days. Each year he seems to get a little worse when it comes to exuding sunshine and rainbows regarding all things Rangers. In this instance, I hope hes right and Sauer is truly on the road back to be playing pro hockey sometime soon, but I wouldnt bank on it, thats for sure.
I disagree- I think our problem in the Devs series was that we let them get huge leads on us early in the last 2 games we lost.

Old
07-30-2012, 04:55 PM
eco's bones

Territorial advantage was key in the series with the Devils--they won more battles along the boards and in the corners. They pinned us in our zone more. After two grueling series it tipped the scale.

They also got off the mark faster in practically every game. One reason the Rangers didn't score that many goals--they didn't have the puck enough and they couldn't sustain enough pressure in the Devils end. They wore us down--we didn't wear them down.

We can talk about skill but sometimes those 30-40 point guys like Ponikarovsky, Zubrus who have size and smarts can use that size to keep pucks alive for their team. Rangers wingers like Hagelin, Gaborik, Anisimov are not that physical--Dubinsky was playing on one leg. There was a physical disadvantage for boards play. Prust, Callahan could hold up their end--Rupp couldn't or didn't get enough ice time--look at it one way or the other.

That's one area where Nash will be a big help. He's got skating and skill but also monster size. Kreider as well is going to be a really good player for us--skill and size again.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:35 PM
BlessThisMess513

What ever became of that card that was going to be sent for Sauer and it had a lot of our names on it?

Old
07-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
Erixon is in columbus lol
I may be stupid but I'm not that stupid!!!!! If you notice I said, "liked to see", implying that I know it's not going to happen.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
I may be stupid but I'm not that stupid!!!!! If you notice I said, "liked to see", implying that I know it's not going to happen.
ok just checking LOL

Old
07-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessThisMess513 View Post
What ever became of that card that was going to be sent for Sauer and it had a lot of our names on it?
Oh my, I completely forgot about that.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:53 AM
thewaitingisover

Quote:

Looking forward to this:

McD--Girardi
Staal--Sauer
MDZ--McIlrath
We're the only team that can put a 40+ point defenseman on the 3rd pairing and not even think it's the slightest bit odd. And it rules.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:58 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
Girardi and McDonough had their best seasons last year but I think the most potential is Girardi/Staal and McD/Sauer. If you remember two years ago, Girardi and Staal were arguably the best shut down pair in the league and McD/Sauer had the highest +/- for any D-pairing in the league but everyone missed it. If I remember it correctly, there was actually a thread about it. They were something like +64 at the time of the posting as a pair. Quietly just as good as Girardi/Staal. I think if Sauer comes back the best pairing would be Girardi/Staal and McD/Sauer. A young D-man steps up like McD a couple years ago and that is a D-corps to be reckoned with. I was really hoping to see something like this, this upcoming season
1. Girardi/Staal
1. McDonough/Sauer
2. MDZ/Erixon

and actually, any one of those pairings could be the top pairing on any team if MDZ and Erixon had grown to their potential this season but who knows? Maybe McIlrath or Skjei can develop into something like Girardi and McDonough did but we all know the best shot at another solid first or second line was Erixon and DZ.
With as well as McD and Girardi player, why break them up? The two 05 picks can be paired up just as easily and make for one BIG backend pairing.

Old
08-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
With as well as McD and Girardi player, why break them up? The two 05 picks can be paired up just as easily and make for one BIG backend pairing.
what about stralman?

Old
08-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Ace2008

actually the nyr blueline looks pretty slow ....just like last season

Sauer despite his concussion will be back...but will he be as effective as before or not...Staal took his time and gradually worked his way into the lineup finally looked good....

in the Caps ot playoff games it was clear that the NYR need at least 2 more Right handed Dmen (other than Eminger/Stralman/Bickell) to play a solid 20+ minutes in critical situations.

If they can somehow get a pair of overlooked Collegians or bring back a speedster that maybe grows into the role(McNabb from Buffalo or Gilroy)

they should be able to mask the other new weakness...

speedy power Centers(they had 2 last season and now have maybe 1 if JT Miller can perform.) Despite the additions of Halpern(small but solid #3 pivot w/ 20 goal scoring ability, and Boyle(lead footed FaceOff king is about as agile as a Mack Truck)

But the speed of Dubinsky(maybe Kreider resumes @ Center?) and the all around skill/reach of Anisimov was bothersome to some teams.

right now the pivot position again becomes a key for the NYR scouts in case they face bigger competition that richards/Stepan can't hustle past.

Hoping to a healthy Sauer as his brother Kurt who played for Phx also had his career slowed by concussions.

Closed Thread