HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Wellwood

Old
07-28-2012, 09:44 AM
RoDu

vCash: 500
Wellwood SpeedTM

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:28 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Wellwood is probably in our top 2 or three for speed and he has great energy. I wish he could score though. I'm 100% fine with him on the third or 4th line.
Remember when A.Nödl won the fasted skater exhibition amongst all Flyers a couple of years ago? And where exactly did this skill take him - onto the waiver list
He didn't really know ho to use his speed in games and convert.

Speed is not enough to make an impression in this league. Wellwood is responsible defensively and may also get a chance at killing penalties which is a good start. His size is what is holding him back but if he was bigger he probably wouldn't be as fast.. so, I don't know if he can be an NHL regular to be honest.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Breeze 44

Speed kills !!!!! Give him a full year and I believe more of his assests will come through. Remember he is young so his hands will get better and you don't need to deliver bone crushing hits to disrupt someones game, take away time and space and a fast player does that better than a slow one! Should be on 3rd line with Couts and Feds, that's a defensive front right there.

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Remember when A.Nödl won the fasted skater exhibition amongst all Flyers a couple of years ago? And where exactly did this skill take him - onto the waiver list
He didn't really know ho to use his speed in games and convert.
Wellwood has more skill in his left pinky than Nodl had in his whole body.

Nodl was a scorer in juniors that couldn't deal with making faster decisions at the pro level. He didn't have the offensive instincts.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:59 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Wellwood has more skill in his left pinky than Nodl had in his whole body.

Nodl was a scorer in juniors that couldn't deal with making faster decisions at the pro level. He didn't have the offensive instincts.
NCAA. Not juniors.

And yeah, Nodl never put together his offensive game. He's still a solid 30-point winger who can PK.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
And yeah, Nodl never put together his offensive game. He's still a solid 30-point winger who can PK.
wut

Nodl has 35 career points in 175 games.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:09 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Nodl was also fairly successful at the college level too.

My beef with him was that he seemed to have zero intuition of what to do. "Hockey sense" i guess you'd call it. Wellwood is a student of the game and although he has no hands (at the net), can make good thing happen all over the ice and makes his linemates better. NoGoal was horribly confused about what to do no matter where he was on the ice. Yes he was fast, but much like onenut before him, had no natural feel for what he should be doing. Wellwood is the kind of player that could be put on a line with skilled players and make them better even though he himself may not end up with a ton of points. When Nodl was placed on a line with skill players he would not only have low point totals himself but brought those around him down.

He seems like the kind of guy who is always trying to be better and probably will continue to develop long after a guy like Nodl has peaked.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

What is this talk of wellwood not having any idea what to do infront of the net. He was a 30 goal scorer in juniors while playing on the third line

Old
07-28-2012, 11:44 AM
DUHockey9

I love Wellwood, but he hasn't shown me any hands whatsoever so far. He also seems to take poor angles to the puck sometimes. It's almost as if he can't control his own speed haha. I expect it will all improve though. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do this year.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:49 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I love Wellwood, but he hasn't shown me any hands whatsoever so far. He also seems to take poor angles to the puck sometimes. It's almost as if he can't control his own speed haha. I expect it will all improve though. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do this year.
That's somewhat to be expected from rookies in their first handful of games, especially ones that don't have elite talent. They key in on what they do best, and for Wellwood, that's his speed. I expect that once he learns the pro game he'll fit in much better in a third line role that's good for about 15 a season while providing good two-way play.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:53 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
That's somewhat to be expected from rookies in their first handful of games, especially ones that don't have elite talent. They key in on what they do best, and for Wellwood, that's his speed. I expect that once he learns the pro game he'll fit in much better in a third line role that's good for about 15 a season while providing good two-way play.
Can't disagree. Worst case is he makes for a good 4th liner and PKer that can make things happen with his speed; even if he won't be able to finish.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:58 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Can't disagree. Worst case is he makes for a good 4th liner and PKer that can make things happen with his speed; even if he won't be able to finish.
Worst case scenario, we have another Powe (who was useful here). Best case scenario, we get another Talbot with more speed and scoring ability. Either way, I think he sticks around in the NHL for a good career.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:26 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
What is this talk of wellwood not having any idea what to do infront of the net. He was a 30 goal scorer in juniors while playing on the third line
I mean currently at the NHL level. I'm sure that will still come for him. But also keep in mind how awesome his junior team was too. I'd rank those guys top 5 best junior team ever.

Old
07-28-2012, 12:27 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
NCAA. Not juniors.

He played both junior and college

Old
07-28-2012, 12:46 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
NCAA. Not juniors.

Nodl was an odd player. He was a scorer in college who apparently sucked defensively. Then when he got to the pros, he improved his defense but forgot how to score completely

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:00 PM
thelos
Bunk

I see Wellwood as a player like Dvorak. 15-15-30 type guy with strong defense and great speed.

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I mean currently at the NHL level. I'm sure that will still come for him. But also keep in mind how awesome his junior team was too. I'd rank those guys top 5 best junior team ever.
Exactly. He was still a third line player though.

Old
07-28-2012, 03:29 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Nodl was an odd player. He was a scorer in college who apparently sucked defensively. Then when he got to the pros, he improved his defense but forgot how to score completely
Well, he came in and even made an impact before Giroux. One thing Nodl always had was a competitiveness that kept him involved. That's how he made the team right out of his first camp.

He was defensively sound enough to stay up in the NHL, so when he was sent back to the minors he worked on the drawbacks in his game. That's when he became so defensively responsible.

Unfortunately, his offense never manifesto, so it's a very good thing he worked on his defensive game.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
NCAA. Not juniors.

Still not over your man crush, I see. How about Nodl hits 30 points in a season first, ok? He's a dime-a-dozen, fringe NHL player.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote