HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Green re-signed (three years, $18.25M)

Old
07-20-2012, 03:31 AM
artilector

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
art, I agree. I am actually very interested to see what Oates comes up with. He was a truly great player even though he didn't shoot enough.

I'm not too keen on the personnel though.

PP:

19, 8, 52, Ribs and who? Brouwer? Wolski fhs? Laich (gag)? Carlson would be ok.
Brouwer looked like a decent goalie screener. Having now two good playmakers, I'd be curious to see what one of them can do on the point while the other one is down low on the same side -- I seem to remember Feds and Backstrom doing that very well back on Caps 1.0 (Ovechkin era).

Hmm, that sounds good to me. Backstrom on the right point, working the puck with Ribeiro down low on the same side. Both looking for lanes to the other side to either sneaking Green or Ovi, who can fire from halfboards or crash the net to help Brouwer there.

Puck retrieval might continue to be an issue, though. The likely PP forwards don't really have the quickness to retrieve pucks consistently. But then again, I don't think this team really has quick forecheckers overall, so that's just something we're gonna have to live with, I guess. Well, Chimera is quick, but... Maybe if MJ can elevate his game he could carve out a spot on the PP... e.g. perhaps Ovi in front of the net -- not ideal for him, but could work if it makes the other pieces work better, dunno.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:45 PM
txpd

pp is simple and i dont see the issues.

8-19-21/20 52-74/44 as the first unit. if they use 8 on the point then 90 or Ribero on down low. no reason that unit cant be quality

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 07:16 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:50 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

8-19-21/20 52-74/44 as the first unit. if they use 8 on the point then 90 or Ribero on down low. no reason that unit cant be quality
Also if we resign Semin we will have 2 very strong units with Ribeiro and Semin on the 2nd unit along with Laich/Brouwer

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:40 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Also if we resign Semin we will have 2 very strong units with Ribeiro and Semin on the 2nd unit along with Laich/Brouwer
This. Not to mention some nice offensive skill from D at the point.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:

I think Ovi still needs to be on the point. I was watching a Kovalchuk highlight tape the other night from the 11-12 season, trying to get an idea of what we'd see from Ovi being switched to RW and what struck me was the number of PP goals Kovy was scoring from left point. I know Oates has been criticized for New Jersey's PP woes but if anything one of the things he seemed to do right was putting his best sniper at left point.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:26 PM
PSUCapsFan

in that case we should try Semin at the left point. Remember when he played there in 06/07? He was money. Im tired of Ovechkin shanking every freaking onetimer he gets.

PSUCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:05 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Enstrom signs a 5 year $5.75 deal. I don't understand how that's possible. He's a better player than a healthy (ha!) Mike Green.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:19 PM
txpd

i think thats your prejudice talking. i think the professional opinion is that healthy mike green is steps above tobie. the green hater, like you...no offense, thinks the is a liability in almost every way anymore.

but i think the reality is that he is capable of doing things in every phase of the game that enstrom can't do. but thats just my opinion.

btw.....$5.75m in edmonton is like $7m in washington dc

Old
07-28-2012, 12:21 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
i think thats your prejudice talking. i think the professional opinion is that healthy mike green is steps above tobie. the green hater, like you...no offense, thinks the is a liability in almost every way anymore.

but i think the reality is that he is capable of doing things in every phase of the game that enstrom can't do. but thats just my opinion.

btw.....$5.75m in edmonton is like $7m in washington dc
Winnipeg. What's the top income tax rate in Alberta?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
He's a better player than a healthy (ha!) Mike Green.
No he's not. Enstrom is a step below the best Green we've seen.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:01 PM
txpd

Quote:
Winnipeg. What's the top income tax rate in Alberta?
i dont know. i'd imagine its below dc and maryland and above va. but the cost of living in edmonton is significantly lower.

Old
07-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Enstrom signs a 5 year $5.75 deal. I don't understand how that's possible. He's a better player than a healthy (ha!) Mike Green.
Is there such a thing as a healthy Mike Green? Its been so long its hard to say for sure. His contract could end up being the best contract we have. As well as it could end up being one of the worst. It a situation that should have been avoided by moving Green when he was at his peak.

Maybe he comes back to his old self? But to think he is going to come back to his old self and stay on the ice is a little to far fetched for me.

Like it or not his number were system driven and we will never see them again.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
i dont know. i'd imagine its below dc and maryland and above va. but the cost of living in edmonton is significantly lower.
When did the Jets move to Edmonton...?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:50 PM
txpd

yea...of course its winnepeg. the rest still hlds

Old
07-28-2012, 02:53 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
Like it or not his number were system driven and we will never see them again.
being fair, however, its also true that he was in fact the driver of that system. he was the launching pad for much of that system. the system's failure to succede in the end was in part because green's game was not yet up to the stress and then his body broke down from being the obvious target to slow that system down.

i dont know how good green will be from here out, but if the capitals ever return to a top 5 power play and ovechkin a top 3 point and goal scorer, i'd think it possible to likely that green approach 70pts again. 30 goals? probably not, but 70pts? sure

Last edited by txpd: 07-28-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old
07-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
being fair, however, its also true that he was in fact the driver of that system. he was the launching pad for much of that system. the system's failure to succede in the end was in part because green's game was not yet up to the stress and then his body broke down from being the obvious target to slow that system down.

i dont know how good green will be from here out, but if the capitals ever return to a top 5 power play and ovechkin a top 3 point and goal scorer, i'd think it possible to likely that green approach 70pts again. 30 goals? probably not, but 70pts? sure
I do hope you are right.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
...if the capitals ever return to a top 5 power play and ovechkin a top 3 point and goal scorer, i'd think it possible to likely that green approach 70pts again. 30 goals? probably not, but 70pts? sure
Can't help but think this is very much a chicken and the egg thing. Those things don't happen with Green just along for the ride IMO.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote