HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Sabres Fan In Need of Guidance

Old
07-27-2012, 11:32 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
The official sabres account, the sabres prospects account, and the WGR guys
Skip WGR, and keep TSN.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:45 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
don't get too carried away, how many leafs/sabres games have you been to? People (usually leafs fans) tend to exaggerate the number of leafs fans there because there is more than an average road team would have, and because they are loud. These people make it to the Buffalo games so they aren't paying $300/ticket in TO, so they make the most of it. When you analyze it though from unbiased view you can clearly see the sabres fans have more people. In recent history the sabres always have around 2/3 of the fans there, I would know, I haven't missed a leafs/sabres game in Buffalo in 3 years
Yeah really its not even close to half lol. Idk why they try to make it seem like that.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:48 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
What do you think I was doing on June 15th, 2011?
At least you made it to june 15th 2011... ):

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 03:43 AM
Wisent42

I think this is quite an interesting thread. It's interesting to see how a fanbase defines itself and its team. Clearly, this fanbase defines itself as whiners. A lot of selfbeating.

But seriously, it IS interesting to see the fanbase define itself and the team. It's also great to get the summary of both the past and the present, because while most of the Sabres history and culture comes natural to Buffalo inhabitants, it is not that obvious to us out of towners (and out of staters, countryers and continenters, or whatever the word for that would be). Therefor fans could start raging about something that is a sore spot while I may not understand why. Like the case with Brett Hull posing in a no goal-shirt (wasn't it?). I thought it was just funny, but clearly a ton of Sabres we're upset about it. Compare it to talking about someones mother. In some cultures that gets you whacked. I'm Swedish, it's not in our culture, you can talk about my mother all you want.

What I'm saying is that as a Sabre not from Buffalo the big little things are sometimes hard to grasp. I've only defined myself as a Sabre since '06. Before that, I wasn't that into the NHL, but I kinda had a soft spot for Sabres for reasons I don't even know. Post lockout I started watching more NHL and the more I saw, the more I liked it, and it became natural to follow the Sabres. The series lost to Canes was when I realized I was really a Sabre. It was painful and the guys fought so hard. Ever since then, I've been a devoted Sabre. But that means that to me Sabres where black and red, it took me a while to realize that blue and gold is the original colors. Also, the french connection, the no goal, etcetera, are facts that is important for the Sabres herritage, but I've learned about them (and still learning) later. That also means that while I understand the importance, it doesn't mean as much to me as it does to many of you. It's not emotional to me.

But I've been around long enough to share your rage over the co-captians departure. That still gets to me!

And while we may not share history, we will share a glorious future. Go Sabres!

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 05:14 AM
Imlach a cup

I remember when I went from fan to fanatic. Happened during game 1 Vs Ottawa in 06. Tim Connelly scored with 10.7 secs to play. I ruined a jersey, scared the dog and annoyed the roommates. It took an hour to clean the chicken wing stains off the rug while listening to the post game show. Nothing was ever the same after that. For several years I wished it would go back watching the Quinn teams spin their wheels scratching for playoff revenue. I guess it why I still route for Ruff. I imagine since Drury and Briere left he's felt it as badly as the rest of us. I just want to feel that way again with either Buffalo team. Another glorious chase to the sunset. Maybe next time we end the story with our own "bout damn time". Dreams can still be great.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Niagaradad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
I think this is quite an interesting thread. It's interesting to see how a fanbase defines itself and its team. Clearly, this fanbase defines itself as whiners. A lot of selfbeating.
Wherever one is in the world, sports offers a form of escapism from the drudgery that goes on around you. Winning helps.

I've spent nearly 50 years less than an hour from Buffalo and can tell you (as I'm sure Buffalonians can in more detail) that they've had some hard knocks in their economy as manufacturing jobs have left in huge numbers over the years. I think they, like the Niagara area on this side of the border, also feel the effects of government spending elsewhere in the state/province and wonder why the money for recovery can't be spent in their area too.

With that in mind, the underachieving sports teams, that you look to take you away from all that, hurts a little deeper.

Buffalo fans also have the specter of having their football team go to four consecutive Super Bowls without coming away with a win.

Between the Bills and Sabres and the economy, that's a lot of heartache and I'm sure influences the "woe is us", rather than simply whining mentality.

Niagaradad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:08 PM
tsujimoto74

http://www.deargodwhyussports.com/

Just sayin'.
Probably the only city that deserves a sports blog by this name.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
http://www.deargodwhyussports.com/

Just sayin'.
Probably the only city that deserves a sports blog by this name.
Cleveland might have a say in that.

We're kindred spirits in sporting pain. They just have more major league franchises than we do.

So I guess per capita we have them beat. But they've gotten beat on 3 different ways at points.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Wisent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagaradad View Post
Wherever one is in the world, sports offers a form of escapism from the drudgery that goes on around you. Winning helps.

I've spent nearly 50 years less than an hour from Buffalo and can tell you (as I'm sure Buffalonians can in more detail) that they've had some hard knocks in their economy as manufacturing jobs have left in huge numbers over the years. I think they, like the Niagara area on this side of the border, also feel the effects of government spending elsewhere in the state/province and wonder why the money for recovery can't be spent in their area too.

With that in mind, the underachieving sports teams, that you look to take you away from all that, hurts a little deeper.

Buffalo fans also have the specter of having their football team go to four consecutive Super Bowls without coming away with a win.

Between the Bills and Sabres and the economy, that's a lot of heartache and I'm sure influences the "woe is us", rather than simply whining mentality.
I understand. My team in Sweden, Brynäs, from my hometown became swedish champions this year. Although I've moved, I know how much it ment to the town of Gävle, being a place where factories are closing and people take their business elsewhere.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:57 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Cleveland might have a say in that.

We're kindred spirits in sporting pain. They just have more major league franchises than we do.

So I guess per capita we have them beat. But they've gotten beat on 3 different ways at points.
We share the same lake. It's the same curse. Something is in that damn water.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:01 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
We share the same lake. It's the same curse. Something is in that damn water.
Detroit is only partially cursed (Lions) because they aren't technically on the same lake...even if nobody gives a damn about Lake St. Clair

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Niagaradad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Detroit is only partially cursed (Lions) because they aren't technically on the same lake...even if nobody gives a damn about Lake St. Clair
With championships in NHL, NBA and MLB Detroit doesn't belong in the discussion even if the Lions are probably the worst team historically in the NFL.

Your friends in Buffalo and Cleveland can only dream of such highs.

Niagaradad is offline   Reply With Quote