HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

2012 Offseason Roster Thread - Part II

Old
07-27-2012, 02:10 PM
McTank

vCash: 500
Buffalo fan here in peace, tampa bay is my 2nd team so I was just wondering how you guys felt about returning to the playoffs next season. I feel with goaltending now it should make a huge difference but you guys will know more than me

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Bolts265

OK Ill bite....who is Bobby Butler???

Bolts265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:35 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Buffalo fan here in peace, tampa bay is my 2nd team so I was just wondering how you guys felt about returning to the playoffs next season. I feel with goaltending now it should make a huge difference but you guys will know more than me
I would think everyone here would expect us to be back in the playoffs. The goaltending is still our biggest question mark as we don't know how good Lindback can be yet. It can't be any worse than last year so that should get us a few more wins. Our D looks much improved on paper but we need to see how they play together and how some players developed in the off season. Our fowards should be even better than last year which is scary. Vinny hopefully is fully healthy and be the player he once was. Our bottom 6 should be able to add much needed secondary scoring. We have several spots still to figure out but we have lots of talented youngsters vying for spots so each position will be filled with quality. I think us or Carolina win the southeast and the other gets a 6-8 seed.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
Thoughts on Bobby Butler?
Dustin Rose > Bobby Butler

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:02 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I would think everyone here would expect us to be back in the playoffs. The goaltending is still our biggest question mark as we don't know how good Lindback can be yet. It can't be any worse than last year so that should get us a few more wins. Our D looks much improved on paper but we need to see how they play together and how some players developed in the off season. Our fowards should be even better than last year which is scary. Vinny hopefully is fully healthy and be the player he once was. Our bottom 6 should be able to add much needed secondary scoring. We have several spots still to figure out but we have lots of talented youngsters vying for spots so each position will be filled with quality. I think us or Carolina win the southeast and the other gets a 6-8 seed.
Sounds about right, I think lindback will do well. Offense should be no problem. Im a huge stamkos fan I hope he scores 60 again

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

I think HoseEmDown pretty much nailed it. Overall, the team is more solid than last years but it all just depends on Lindback and how he settles in. He is the guy so we're not going to ditch at the first sign of any struggles either.

Garon is decent and I expect he'll get 25ish games or more. It all depends on how the goalie situation plays out. Are we going to be contenders or are we going to be a fringe team going through some growing pains?

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:29 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts265 View Post
OK Ill bite....who is Bobby Butler???
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=33224

A bottom 6 winger who was waived/bought out by Ottawa

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 07-27-2012 at 11:54 PM.
TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pyatt View Post
I think HoseEmDown pretty much nailed it. Overall, the team is more solid than last years but it all just depends on Lindback and how he settles in. He is the guy so we're not going to ditch at the first sign of any struggles either.

Garon is decent and I expect he'll get 25ish games or more. It all depends on how the goalie situation plays out. Are we going to be contenders or are we going to be a fringe team going through some growing pains?
Yup. If the goaltending shows up we should be a playoff team. If we can stay healthy and generate secondary scoring as well as Stamkos, MSL, VL and Purcell doing their thing we could be a tough team. Defense will be improved over last season with the additions but thats a given. Team overall is looking good. If we could add a little more secondary scoring we could be deadly.

Drouin2Stamkos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 03:28 PM
shello
@WShello9

Other teams have thought it before but I think Pouliot will be motivated to play this year, still not expecting anything more than 15 goals which I'd be happy with. But getting to play with one of his idols in Lecavalier and see how hard he works, and determined will hopefully push him to work harder this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=33224

A bottom 6 winger who was waived/bought out by Ottawa
Bit of a sophomore slump last year, but with his rookie year he showed promise to score 20+ goals

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Other teams have thought it before but I think Pouliot will be motivated to play this year, still not expecting anything more than 15 goals which I'd be happy with. But getting to play with one of his idols in Lecavalier and see how hard he works, and determined will hopefully push him to work harder this year.

Bit of a sophomore slump last year, but with his rookie year he showed promise to score 20+ goals
You know who else was a winger Ottawa gave up on?

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:42 PM
I Am Beat You

Ryan Shannon

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:47 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Daniel Alfredsson.

...wait

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:14 AM
CC321

I did the giveaways takeaways for the defensemen, so just to be fair here are the forwards. Giveaways (1st#) then takeaways.

Steven Stamkos 45 42
Teddy Purcell 36 34
Martin St Louis 53 66
Tom Pyatt 13 17
Brett Connolly 21 9
Ryan Malone 30 37
Nate Thompson 14 29
Vincent Lecavalier 34 24
Adam Hall 6 12
Tim Wallace 9 14
Ryan Shannon 9 16
JT Wyman 2 8
Dana Tyrell 0 11
Trevor Smith 3 3
Pierre-Cedric Labrie 2 4
Brandon Segal 0 0
Mike Angelidis 1 3
J.T. Brown 2 1
Mattias Ritola 0 0

Pouliot 8 37
Crombeen 2 3

Tavares 65 99
Datsyuk 40 97
H Sedin 37 31
Hossa 29 94
Toews 25 82

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:57 AM
HedMonster 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
You know who else was a winger Ottawa gave up on?
When did Pouliot play for Ottawa?
From his stats in NHL i see he played for Minnesota, Montreal and Boston.

If he gets some top 6 minutes and plays 82 games he should get 40+ points. He has the size and the skills so he has the potential to play in the top 6 if he is consistent.
Another thing about him is that he is still 25, may end up being a late bloomer.

HedMonster 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:07 AM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedMonster 77 View Post
When did Pouliot play for Ottawa?
From his stats in NHL i see he played for Minnesota, Montreal and Boston.

If he gets some top 6 minutes and plays 82 games he should get 40+ points. He has the size and the skills so he has the potential to play in the top 6 if he is consistent.
Another thing about him is that he is still 25, may end up being a late bloomer.
He was referring to Martin St. Louis.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:23 AM
HedMonster 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
He was referring to Martin St. Louis.
Oh, that makes sens
This Bobby Butler guy will be a solid 3rd line pickup.
Do you think Connolly can take the 3rd line C spot, I think he played as a C when we drafted him???

Old
07-29-2012, 12:23 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Oh, that makes sens
This Bobby Butler guy will be a solid 3rd line pickup.
Do you think Connolly can take the 3rd line C spot, I think he played as a C when we drafted him???
I think he's always been a winger. But I'm interested in Butler because he's young and hasn't really disappointed in his time spent at the NHL level. He had a lesser year this past season but he's yet to play a full season at this level so I wonder what he could do if given the chance to show what he has.

chasespace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:29 AM
CC321

Carle #25 vs Pouliot #67, they both played well.

www.hulu.com/watch/343782

Old
07-30-2012, 08:23 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Brennan Klak ‏@nhlupdate

Lightning/Admiral and former Jacket first rounder Alexandre Picard signs with Geneve-Servette
https://twitter.com/nhlupdate

LightningStrikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:43 PM
CC321

Ben Pouliot is a shy person. That means one of the Bolts' personable regulars needs to make it a point to talk to him regularly to keep him engaged and not retreat back into his shell, common problem with shy people.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:54 PM
HedMonster 77

Do you guys think we will have some interest in Alex Edler, at the deadline or next the offseason? He is an UFA in 2013, and Bieksa, Hamhuis and now Garrison are signed long term for Vancouver. That pushes Alex to the №4 spot, and I don't think he is gonna like that. Edler knows he is getting a guaranteed 5+ mil. if he gets to free agency, Vancouver won't pay him more than they pay Bieksa and their other 2 top guys - less money and a №4 spot, no deal from that Swede i think.
Now he is not great Defensively - he has his occasional moments when he just can keep the puck away from the net, but he is good Offensively and can pass that puck around on the PP. Overall he is Good passer and decent defender
Salo and Ohlund should be able to convince him to sign here to a Carle type contract.
What do you think? Will we Have interest in him? Will he have interest in us?

Old
07-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Bolts265

You don't make a real strong sales pitch. Not good defensively...can't keep the puck away from the net...will command Carle money! My first thought would be no thanks.

Bolts265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:57 PM
I Am Beat You

Edler is better than any of our defensemen.

Old
07-30-2012, 07:22 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Do you guys think we will have some interest in Alex Edler, at the deadline or next the offseason? He is an UFA in 2013, and Bieksa, Hamhuis and now Garrison are signed long term for Vancouver. That pushes Alex to the №4 spot, and I don't think he is gonna like that. Edler knows he is getting a guaranteed 5+ mil. if he gets to free agency, Vancouver won't pay him more than they pay Bieksa and their other 2 top guys - less money and a №4 spot, no deal from that Swede i think.
Now he is not great Defensively - he has his occasional moments when he just can keep the puck away from the net, but he is good Offensively and can pass that puck around on the PP. Overall he is Good passer and decent defender
Salo and Ohlund should be able to convince him to sign here to a Carle type contract.
What do you think? Will we Have interest in him? Will he have interest in us?
I don't think Edler has been pushed to a no.4 spot by any means. The 2012 playoffs aside, he's still considered the Canucks' best all-around defensemen. How did you come up with him not being great defensively? He was great for them in the 2011/12 regular season and has always been consistent in past years as well. He often lines up against the other teams' top lines too. His offensive game also broke out last year. As Alaskan just said above, he's better than any of our defensemen...

If anything, he'd command more than Carle money. He's not as one dimensional, has more of a physical aspect to his game and has a booming shot. They're probably equal as passers, with Carle only having the edge on mobility/speed.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:56 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Edler is a stud, but I doubt we go after him if he somehow makes it to free agency.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote