HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Shane Doan Tested Free Agency, Got Back on His Horse and Stayed!

Old
07-28-2012, 05:10 AM
2yotesfans88

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
maybe Jamison's cell phone died????

but in all reality does anyone think that doans agent would become the mouth peice of the deal. Jamison and the NHL have kept most of their dealings very quiet. I highly doubt we will see the headline DOAN Staying In Phoenix before Bettman can officially parade in front of cameras and make a formal announcment on the team. IF, and its a monsterously HUGE IF, there is an announcement coming that is good news for us....i would expect that doan would have to hold off on announcing he is staying until after the offical announcement about the team.

keeping my fingers crossed.

2yotesfans88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Matzel

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
Let's not confuse a sense of loyalty with a case of stupidity.
Well put.

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
Yep. I expect Doan will be gone by the end of Monday. So sad. Let those naysayers tell is we're not "real" fans. I dont think half of them would be able to put up with the ******** we've had to over the last three years. This is the breaking point.
Depends on who you ask. For me, I became a hockey fan long before Shane Doan started playing in the NHL and before the Jets moved to Phoenix. As much as I like Doan, he isn't my favorite player overall on the Coyotes. In fact, the one Coyotes player I enjoyed seeing playing for us the most was Scotty Upshall, of course that could change too.

At the end of the day, its not the player that will determine what team I follow as it is the name of the team and where the team is playing. The breaking point for me is anything less than keeping the team in Arizona.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:22 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
At this point, it seems clear that if you put a microphone in front of Terry Bross, he will deposit therein whatever information he's been given. If there were any news to report, it makes no sense to expect Jamison to let Shane Doan's agent be the one to do it. Either Doan is keeping something from him, which is doubtful, or it may simply be the case that Jamison is staying mum because he knows whatever he tells Doan will wind up in the media, courtesy of his agent.
I agree. Bross seems to have a very big mouth, and is willing to talk to the media. Jamison seems to have be very tight-lipped and doesn't want to have anything to do with the media.

I can see Jamison avoiding Bross like the plague, simply b/c he doesn't want a bunch of loose lips sinking ships and all that.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:17 AM
kihekah19

While Shane Doan means a lot to this franchise, he is but one player (one very difficult to replace player), but G.J. can't possibly be expected to consummate a deal of this magnitude based on keeping one player.

G.J. has to do what he needs to do, as does Shane Doan. If the timing of the end game for each is not in sync, we lose our captain and a fan favorite.

Consider this: neither Shane Doan nor Brett Favre are bigger than either game they represent. Let's put this in perspective, if there are folks out there who only follow the team because of Shane Doan, they are hardly what I would consider fans of the game.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
So. Maybe a Doan announcement this week end?.
Quote:
Yep. I expect Doan will be gone by the end of Monday.
Sure looks like that....

Quote:
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan is tired of waiting for the team's ownership to be settled and will start negotiating with other teams if a sale doesn't go through this weekend, according to Sports 620 in Phoenix
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../20034396.html

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:26 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post

G.J. has to do what he needs to do, as does Shane Doan. If the timing of the end game for each is not in sync, we lose our captain and a fan favorite.
Exactly. GJ has certain things that he would consider priorities, so does Doan. If the timing of those does not mesh, we may lose Doan but keep the team.

The NHL does not seem to be concerned with the pace of the sale thus far. No real deadline and with the ongoing CBA talks, the sale may not be the #1 priority for them at this moment.

The sale needs to be done properly, and rushing into a poorly planned agreement just to keep Doan could be a bad move - in the short term, it could keep Doan here. But what good is that if 2-3 years down the road there is another bankruptcy and the team is back in limbo?

Doan has kids. School will be starting soon and he would probably want to disrupt their lives as little as possible. He has a different timetable for when things need to be done, and while I'm sure GJ would love to see him stay - it could be that he ends up being collateral damage. That would be very sad and many fans would be upset, but I don't think that at this point it would be as much of a shock as it would have been 1 month ago.

Old
07-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
While Shane Doan means a lot to this franchise, he is but one player (one very difficult to replace player), but G.J. can't possibly be expected to consummate a deal of this magnitude based on keeping one player.

Consider this: neither Shane Doan nor Brett Favre are bigger than either game they represent. Let's put this in perspective, if there are folks out there who only follow the team because of Shane Doan, they are hardly what I would consider fans of the game.
Excatly! Although, I'm willing to give a few a free pass if all they are doing is just venting.

Besides, Doan could resign with us and then he gets a career ending injury of any kind in anyway posssible shortly after signing as a possibility. All the more reason to not get behind a team because of a player.

Old
07-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
620AM in Phoenix is proven to not be that reliable when it comes to news related to the Coyotes. Especially for a station that doesn't broadcast any of the Coyotes Games.

Old
07-28-2012, 02:05 PM
BuffaloAZ

Doan won't sign until he knows Jamison has bought the team.

Jamison won't buy the team until he knows Doan is locked up in a new contract.

It goes on and on and on and on...

BuffaloAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

If Jamison isn't even bothering to try to keep Doan in the loop at least to an extent that will let Shane stay patient for a while longer, I have lost any faith I had that this deal will close.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:30 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

GJ is smart to not let ANY of this play-out in the media, and that may include Bross also. If he wants to keep Doan he needs (or needed) to be talking to him. If the timing doesn't work for Doan, understandable, then at a minimum he deserves an update from GJ. Maybe that has happened, maybe not.

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 03:22 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I'm just not sure why everyone feels that the public would be kept in the loop. If GJ spoke to doan and doan is fine with the situation, he's not going to make an announcement to tat effect; he will just continue to not sign elsewhere. And if doan is not happy with the news fom GJ or if it is bad news, he wouldn't announce that; he would sign elsewhere and that's when we would hear news.

I just don't get why people get in a snit because there was no update on whether or not GJ called doan. Why would we know? Who would feel compelled to announce it?

I think there are two types of people involved here. Those who are going to keep reporting stuff (and making stuff up if there's nothing to report) just to say something to the press, and those who prefer to keep personal business personal and not announce anything until there is something concrete to announce. It's pretty easy to figure out who belongs in which category.

Old
07-28-2012, 03:28 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
I just don't get why people get in a snit because there was no update on whether or not GJ called doan.
Probably a couple of things. People are exhausted after 3 years of uncertainty and there is also the "Mommy and Daddy said I was special so I should be told what's going on."

GiveAFlyingPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:56 PM
cobra427

I think Doan has time before he has to sign a contract. I say that because, partly with the CBA in question, a solid offer from another team will be there a month or two from now. Doan is the only really good free agent left, what else are these other teams going to do in the mean time? Not much. It is not like there are lots of other dominos to fall.
Doan does have a family with kids starting school soon, so that is a problem if he is going to move them with him to another state. Those plans would have to start soon, or they move after school starts (hard on kids), or they stay here for a year or change mid year. i think the family issues complicate Don's ability to wait this out, not the money or interested teams.

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:08 PM
amjay13

GJ is currently 20 million short per Business Journal.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:14 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
GJ is currently 20 million short per Business Journal.
Short of what? 170? Why bother? Just move them. If he's 20 short of the 230 or whatever number hes decided he needs to mitigate short term losses, than fine. If he cant crack the asking price, though, he's just delaying the inevitible.

If it's relocate them on Monday or fold them in a month, I really, really, really hope they relocate.

Last edited by rt: 07-28-2012 at 07:32 PM.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:50 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Short of what? 170? Why bother? Just move them. If he's 20 short of the 230 or whatever number hes decided he needs to mitigate short term losses, than fine. If he cant crack the asking price, though, he's just delaying the inevitible.

If it's relocate them on Monday or fold them in a month, I really, really, really hope they relocate.
If they do decide to relocate it would be nice for us ex-zoni's living in the PNW if they moved to Seattle as I've heard mentioned numerous times! Sadly though, I'm sure that was just another rumor, albeit a cool one!

Last edited by clayman: 07-28-2012 at 10:28 PM.
clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:45 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
As much as I want Doan to leave Phoenix for the thought of the Canucks possibly landing him, I must say I really, really do feel for you guys as fans of this team. It's heartbreaking as a fan of hockey in general to see a guy so loyal and someone who so obviously wants to be in Phoenix being ripped away because of this ownership business. It reminds me of when Trevor Linden left Vancouver (obviously two very different scenarios, but neither wanted to leave). They're similar players. Both guys that have given their all for the team and the community. While most of me wants the Canucks to land him, there's a small part of me that feels like it will be wrong to see him in another jersey.

If the ownership situation gets ironed out and Doan stays in Phoenix, it's really where he belongs.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:40 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I appreciate that cc. I do.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:46 AM
Lundsanity30

Hoping he stays in phx. It's obviously where his heart is

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Gotta love the hypocrisy about Shane Doan in the General Section.

We hear all the time about how Doan:

1. Is a dirty player
2. Isn't exciting.
3. Is a crybaby.
4. Have never done anything great in his career both on and off the ice.

Then we hear how they hope Doan never plays for their team.
But as soon as Doan becomes a free agent on July 1st. then everyone wants Doan on their team and braging about how great of a fit he will be.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 07-30-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old
07-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Coyotes89

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...g-jamison.html

Doan and Jamison talked on Saturday

Coyotes89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotes89 View Post
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...g-jamison.html

Doan and Jamison talked on Saturday
If only we knew what was said and how it went.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:32 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
If only we knew what was said and how it went.
We know he hasn't signed a big fat contract somewhere else, couldn't have been too bad

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote