HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Pronger

Old
07-26-2012, 12:28 PM
dawkins121

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Gaborik is the Rags weak point. Without him playing well, they still lack offense, Nash notwithstanding.

As for Prongs, Philly management probably wouldn't have gone so hard after Weber if they werent quite sure Mr Pronger is finished.
I'm pretty interested to see how this Nash on the Rangers thing plays out. I think their top 6 is definitely more formidable with the additions of Nash and a full year of Kreider, but the reason the Rangers were so good last year was because they played great team defense in front of Lundqvist (who is obviously amazing).

A lot of people laughed at the return Columbus got, and they probably could have done better, but exchanging Dubinsky and Anisimov for Nash might have a bigger negative effect on their team defense than the offsetting positive impact of Nash's offense. Plus it's got to be tough mentally for guys like Girardi and Callahan to reach the top of the conference by putting everything on the ice every night, just to fall short and have to start over again next year. Not saying that it's easy for other players who's teams come up short, but most players don't make their mark by blocking shots with their faces.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Does anyone know if Pronger's injury is comparable or worse than what Bryan Berard suffered a few years back?

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:08 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Does anyone know if Pronger's injury is comparable or worse than what Bryan Berard suffered a few years back?
wasn't Berard's an eye injury? Pronger's is a concussion

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

How are we worse on paper. We subtracted 96 million give-aways from the team in losing Carle and Jagr.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:38 PM
End of Line
Human After All

How has been Pronger been progressing, if he has.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Somewhere between no one knows and not at all. Neither of which means anything good. Everyone assumes he'll sit out the rest of his contract on LTIR like Marc Savard, then retire.

Perhaps as we get closer to camp there will be actual news other than the repeated "Good Days and Bad Days" assessment that comes from Holmgren about every 3 months.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:39 PM
McNasty

While we haven't necessarily addressed the holes that saw the team eliminated, I'm not sure we're worse on paper. We could be, but I think the organization is putting faith into their young players to step up and take on more responsibility.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:02 PM
RespectTheCouts
Couts=0 offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Time View Post
Had the Ranger and Penguin fans running for the hills, now there all talking crap again. Can't wait to beat these two scrub teams.
If I remember correctly the Rangers whooped our ***** 6 times last year, so much for scrub team, and not a chance they don't make the playoffs, Hank is top 3 goalies in the the league if not the best, hard to not make the playoffs with that kind of goalie

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:17 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Somewhere between no one knows and not at all. Neither of which means anything good. Everyone assumes he'll sit out the rest of his contract on LTIR like Marc Savard, then retire.

Perhaps as we get closer to camp there will be actual news other than the repeated "Good Days and Bad Days" assessment that comes from Holmgren about every 3 months.
Thanks for the news. I really hope he can fully recover bc I hate to see anyone suffer from PCS as I did for 15 months.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:41 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
While we haven't necessarily addressed the holes that saw the team eliminated, I'm not sure we're worse on paper. We could be, but I think the organization is putting faith into their young players to step up and take on more responsibility.
holes that got us eliminated:

-Injuries (everyone): fixed/fixing
-Mistakes on D (everyone): Carle gone, Mez back
-Bad defense (defense): Carle gone, Mez back, Schenn in, Gervais in
-Bad backchecking (forwards): JvR gone, Jagr gone, Giroux healthy, Fedotenko in, another option at 2C over Briere (God I hope)
-Goaltending (Bryz): Bryz healthy, settled in, knowing what to expect from Philly fans/media

It just needed to work itself out really. I'd call it a sufficient patch-job.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:55 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

the team was built last year. the big thing we tried to do this summer was replace pronger which i thought was impossible but we almost did. we WILL make a trade for a quality defenseman but our defense as is when healthy is still one of the best in the league. the devils and pittsburgh both lost key pieces. its really been a good summer considering homer didn't make any trades to set us back. plus the schenn bros. are ready to rock.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:36 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Outside of the "good days" and "bad days" that Broad Street Elite mentioned, I read somewhere he's helping with minor tasks with the team, such as reviewing video.

Last serious update I've seen was this one, from June. If anyone has a newer update I'd like to see it.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:40 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
holes that got us eliminated:

-Injuries (everyone): fixed/fixing
-Mistakes on D (everyone): Carle gone, Mez back
-Bad defense (defense): Carle gone, Mez back, Schenn in, Gervais in
-Bad backchecking (forwards): JvR gone, Jagr gone, Giroux healthy, Fedotenko in, another option at 2C over Briere (God I hope)
-Goaltending (Bryz): Bryz healthy, settled in, knowing what to expect from Philly fans/media

It just needed to work itself out really. I'd call it a sufficient patch-job.
Considering Carle has always been offensive focused (and lackluster defensively), and considering we already have a ****-ton of offense, Schenn is a good replacement. Mez being back will be a huge boost as well. If we can get Bryz to keep his head in the game, and the injury bug away (unlikely) we may have a somewhat decent shot this year. I'd agree, sufficient patch-job.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:17 AM
phlla12

"Pronger" question

A player goes on LTIR... what are their [legal] responsibilities to a club?

Could Prongs theoretically say "screw you" and sit on the side, doing nothing, until he retires?

Are there stipulations that say in case of X injuries a player must do media, etc, etc?

phlla12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:24 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlla12 View Post
A player goes on LTIR... what are their [legal] responsibilities to a club?

Could Prongs theoretically say "screw you" and sit on the side, doing nothing, until he retires?

Are there stipulations that say in case of X injuries a player must do media, etc, etc?
I don't think he would say screw you to the Flyers right now since we will be paying his full salary until he contract runs out. I heard that Pronger has to show up to main camp and take a physical, and likely he won't pass. The Flyers then will put him on LTIR until he is physically able to play the game again. He doesn't need to be there either, like he wasn't for the majority of his time he was out last year.

One thing about Pronger is he is obviously a bad ass competitor. He has shown he has the fight to do anything for his team to help them win, I am sure he is still has the fight left in him to play the game of hockey. I am still optimistic he makes some sort of attempt to come back and play. He is someone I would not count out till the fat lady sings.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:38 AM
phlla12

Agree with you 100% -

To clarify, this isn't about Pronger and it's more about the legal/business circumstances that would be applicable to his situation.

phlla12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:39 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
I believe the biggest way to say "screw you" to the Flyers is go completely rogue from the organization, pop up in St. Louis 3 weeks later, and announce his retirement, sticking the Flyers with his cap hit for the next....4 years?

Him sitting on the "sideline" and doing nothing is something he's completely entitled to, considering his condition.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:42 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlla12 View Post
Agree with you 100% -

To clarify, this isn't about Pronger and it's more about the legal/business circumstances that would be applicable to his situation.
I believe a team can be insured on five contracts? I would expect Pronger would be one of those if thats true. Insurance covers 80% of the money I think, I heard this **** somewhere before lol just not sure where...

Also I believe he just needs to take that physical, he doesn't pass he can't play the game. The league could look into it to make sure he is trying his best to come back and play, but probably would leave a guy alone who is suffering from SPCS.

Like Sobrien said also, he could screw us by retiring, I just don't think he is ready to throw in the towel yet.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:59 AM
GTopCheese

I don't think he'd screw us and retire. Apparently he's been helping us scout so obviously he still has his interests in the team. Also, I think he'll keep his 19m over the next 5 years as opposed to retiring. Just taking a guess.

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:58 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

We still have far too much cap space sitting around. This makes me un-comfortable.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:39 AM
Jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
We still have far too much cap space sitting around. This makes me un-comfortable.
Not as much as it makes Homer.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:02 AM
OzFlyers
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
One thing about Pronger is he is obviously a bad ass competitor. He has shown he has the fight to do anything for his team to help them win, I am sure he is still has the fight left in him to play the game of hockey. I am still optimistic he makes some sort of attempt to come back and play. He is someone I would not count out till the fat lady sings.
Nice post, would love to see him try to come back!

OzFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:17 AM
feedingschennzy

Pronger sold his house and hes allegedly moving back to St. Louis. But seeing him was depressing this year, we had a legitimate cup chance with him.

feedingschennzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdugan View Post
Pronger sold his house and hes allegedly moving back to St. Louis. But seeing him was depressing this year, we had a legitimate cup chance with him.
That was dismissed immediatly by the flyers brass.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:30 PM
SheasRebellion6

Teams young and still has a lot of upside. They will grow together. I like what we have.

SheasRebellion6 is online now   Reply With Quote