HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A thread for every player: Jamie McBain

Old
07-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Caniac1234

vCash: 500
We need a 3rd line center and i think mcbain should be the centerpiece of that deal,idk if these guys are available but these would be my top 5 3rd line centers to trade for.

Rich peverley
Marcus johansson
jarret stoll
derrick brassard (probably a 2nd line center but with us staal-staal brassard would be nasty)
matt read

Thoughts?

Caniac1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Read is a winger. Stoll just signed an extension. Brassard and Johansson aren't the type of player we'd need there. We have enough offensive firepower. Peverley would be fine, and I could see Boston being interested in McBain, but I think we'd have to add.

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:41 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
Read is a winger. Stoll just signed an extension. Brassard and Johansson aren't the type of player we'd need there. We have enough offensive firepower. Peverley would be fine, and I could see Boston being interested in McBain, but I think we'd have to add.
Peverley would be exactly what we need, but even if the cap drops I doubt Boston will be moving him.

Maybe a guy like Stajan from Calgary or Bolland from Chicago if the new CBA makes them available?

FWIW I'm in the hang on to McBain boat, at least for the time being. Until we have a guy that has shown that they can handle the NHL game when they get a chance it would be foolish to move out a proven top 4 dman at this point. In a couple years when we have McBain, Pitkanen, Faulk, Harrison, Gleason, Murphy, and some more prospects knocking on the door? that's when it's going to get interesting to see what we can get for who.

Last edited by DaveG: 07-28-2012 at 02:47 PM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 03:15 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I'm firmly in the hang onto McBain boat, but I'd very gladly let him go for Peverley. That would make our top-9 just ridiculously well rounded.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac1234 View Post
We need a 3rd line center and i think mcbain should be the centerpiece of that deal,idk if these guys are available but these would be my top 5 3rd line centers to trade for.

Rich peverley
Marcus johansson
jarret stoll
derrick brassard (probably a 2nd line center but with us staal-staal brassard would be nasty)
matt read

Thoughts?
I personally really like Stoll and Peverley. I think we'd have to give another asset in addition for Johansson. He is going to be a solid second liner in Oates system. I don't have a lot of interest in Brassard, but never overly cared for him. Haven't watched Matt Read enough to determine whether he is a true player or flash in the pan, can anyone speak more of Read?

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I'm firmly in the hang onto McBain boat, but I'd very gladly let him go for Peverley. That would make our top-9 just ridiculously well rounded.
the Blues have about 14 centers, I'm not on the trade McBain bandwagon but if we could get somebody like Steen or Berglund do it, do it now.

Otherwise, I think, sign a Jason Arnott or whoever shakes loose after the lockout and wait for Rask in a couple years.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:40 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
Losing McBain to fill a possible hole at 3C is silly talk. Forward depth is not a problem anymore. If things don't work out on the 3rd line, they can always grab someone in season. But for now, I think it's nice that the first place we encounter a problem in the lineup is that far down the depth chart.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Boom Boom Anton

I still say that if Welsh or Dalpe or Nash can't grab ahold of the 3C spot, the Canes can always slide Jokinen into that spot and shift Tlusty up to the top 6.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

I am on the trade McBain boat.

If we can trade him for a 3C to replace Sutter, I would be fine with that trade.

If Welsh doesn't pan out, maybe Staal Staal Jussi Brent down the middle.

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:10 PM
bleedgreen

mcbain for rich peverly?!?

now ive seen everything. jussi would be just fine at the three spot if none of welsh, nash, dalpe, rask, etc... can claim it. if welsh fails wouldnt surprise me if nash gets a good look. he is a legit defensive center now.

we have too many forwards and d depth is crucial. we should move a couple of these bottom six guys for another d.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Wait...so you're suggesting we flesh out our already weak bottom six for more defensemen?

...What?

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:20 PM
urn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I still say that if Welsh or Dalpe or Nash can't grab ahold of the 3C spot, the Canes can always slide Jokinen into that spot and shift Tlusty up to the top 6.
I would hate to see Jokinen's play-making ability wasted on the 3rd line. He should play with at least one Staal and/or Semin.

urn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn View Post
I would hate to see Jokinen's play-making ability wasted on the 3rd line. He should play with at least one Staal and/or Semin.
IMO, Jussi is fine on the 3rd line where he isn't facing the other teams top defense. He can still play with Staal and Semin on the top PP unit.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:35 PM
geehaad

Maybe pick up a free agent that makes sense, why trade away anything before they know what they need, and how badly they need it?

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn View Post
Agreed, players like him and potentially Boychuk are best suited for a scoring line. You can add Skinner to that list of linemates for Jokinen.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

We have 4 forwards that can actually produce on the PP now- S12, Skinner, Jussi and ****. And maybe even a 5th with S11- as Pens fans insisted, he wasn't given a fair shake in their system.

Getting PP's was never our problem. Now we actually have enough bodies to divy it out with results.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

From the standings thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
5. CAR (love Jamie McBain, kids about to explode this season)

Old
07-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Ranger fans seem to love the guy, but never want to give up the pieces for him.

They'll speak highly of him...until you make a proposal involving him and a Rangers player...then he's trash.

Old
07-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Many fans around the League seem high on him, from what I have noticed.

I mean, he's only 24. He was drafted in the same year as Jordan. And for such a young defensman, he is already producing at a consistent and respectable offensive level. Then there is the fact that the holes in his game have to do with strength and conditioning, something that can be remedied as quickly as one offseason.

Last year, McBain produced 1 PPP per 17 minutes of PP time, and ended up with 11 PPP.

For comparisons sake, the top 10 defensemen in PP scoring had:

Brian Campbell: 1 PPP per 11 minutes
Erik Karlsson: 1 PPP per 11.2 minutes
Ryan Suter: 1 PPP per 11.6 minutes
Alex Pietrangelo: 1 PPP per 9.675 minutes
Mark Streit: 1 PPP per 13.6 minutes
Shea Weber: 1 PPP per 12.5 minutes
Alex Edler: 1 PPP per 12.8 minutes
Dion Phaneuf: 1 PPP per 13.3 minutes
Kimmo Timmonen: 1 PPP per 13.7 minutes
Dennis Wideman: 1 PPP per 13.4 minutes

So you can see why some people (like me) are excited for the future of McBain. He certainly has flaws, but they are flaws that are more easily fixed than having welded concrete for gray matter.

Old
07-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Strength and conditioning will make McBain more respectable, but I think this upcoming year will determine how useful McBain will be in the future plans for this club.

He made some mental mistakes last year that I really didn't like. If he's still making those same mistakes next year, his third year in the league, it's a little bit concerning. That's something strength and conditioning can't fix.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Caniac1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
mcbain for rich peverly?!?

now ive seen everything. jussi would be just fine at the three spot if none of welsh, nash, dalpe, rask, etc... can claim it. if welsh fails wouldnt surprise me if nash gets a good look. he is a legit defensive center now.

we have too many forwards and d depth is crucial. we should move a couple of these bottom six guys for another d.
Rask isn't ready,dalpe and nash both sucked when they were called up last season and welsh hasn't shown anything special so thats why I'm saying trade mcbain for a 3rd line center,or sign arnott or dominic moore to a 1 year deal to let rask develop.

Caniac1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:23 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Wait...so you're suggesting we flesh out our already weak bottom six for more defensemen?

...What?
Would that make it more weak? What if three Dmen get hurt at the same time?

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac1234 View Post
Rask isn't ready,dalpe and nash both sucked when they were called up last season and welsh hasn't shown anything special so thats why I'm saying trade mcbain for a 3rd line center,or sign arnott or dominic moore to a 1 year deal to let rask develop.
bleedgreen is right, we have so many bottom six forwards it's ridiculous. Brent, Dwyer, Stewart, Nodl, Larose, Tlusty are in the NHL, and Nash, Sutter, and Wallace are good enough to play on the fourth line, in my opinion. Our defense is weak enough as is. Losing McBain would hurt, and our AHL guys have proven exactly jack**** at the NHL level. Sanguinetti and Murphy are question marks, and Gragani got let go by Vancouver even though he was an RFA.

Sad King Jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Would that make it more weak? What if three Dmen get hurt at the same time?
You're suggesting we trade some of our bottom 6 for defensive depth. Meaning we'd have to replace Nodl, Dwyer, LaRose, Stewart, etc. with Boychuk, Bowman, Dalpe, Terry, etc. Leaving exactly...no one...to play in Charlotte.

Not to mention, you're trading those players for defensive depth, of which we have (at the very least) Murphy, Sanguinetti, and Gragnani as possibles to compete for the 7th defensemen spot, and the likes of Levi, Alt, Biega, etc. as possible in the wings.

Our forward depth is much weaker than our defensive depth. Which is why I'm confused as to why you suggest we trade forwards for more defensemen. Doesn't make much sense.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:46 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I'd trade Joni before McBain right now

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote