TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Lets talk destinations:

Chicago?
Florida?
Vancouver (Luongo moved)?
Florida has Theodore and Clemenson with Markstrom in the the AHL they have no need, Vancouver has Lack to be the backup and Lack>>Karlsson. I don't see Karlsson as an upgrade over Emery or Crawford the only teams I can see giving him a shot is Toronto and Montreal (Budaj is terrible).

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
What about the Islanders?

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

vCash: 500
Training camp battle for Irving and Karlsson.

I get the feeling management is a little higher on Karlsson than the fans, otherwise they wouldn't have given 2-year deal last summer that created this inevitable/forseeable situation.

I also don't think Karlsson has any trade value. So I figure in September, it'll either be Karlsson waived or Irving traded for a 2nd or 3rd (to avoid losing on waivers for nothing)..

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
What about the Islanders?
Isles have too many Gs as is.

Nabokov + Nilsson or Poulin as backup. Those 2 split AHL starts last year, but I figure they'll gave one of them the backup gig this year.

Plus I'm not sure if they'll be carrying DiPietro at the start of the year or if he's going straight on the LTIR.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

What a peculiar process.

Feaster fights super hard to get Irving to sign a two way deal even though he isn't waiver eligible next season. To top it off, it's a one year deal, meaning he'll most likely be a UFA because we all know he isn't playing 22 games next year as MVW brought up, unless of course Kipper suffers a significant injury or is traded at some point.

So either Feaster thinks Irving can pass through waivers safely if need be, or he's just sticking it to him on the principle that he hasn't 'earned' a one way deal yet. Both are mistakes; if it's the former, well, there's enough teams that could use goaltending help and given Irvings cheap contract and pedigree, he'll most likely be claimed. If it's the later, then Irving will remember this when it comes to signing his next contract whether it's as a RFA or UFA. He'll either walk as a free agent to a team that gives him a better opportunity or plays hardball. Or maybe Feaster just doesn't think Irving has what it takes to be a starter.

Seems like a really short sighted move in all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
I get the feeling management is a little higher on Karlsson than the fans, otherwise they wouldn't have given 2-year deal last summer that created this inevitable/forseeable situation..
Feaster's shown a penchant for throwing 2 year deals at every two bit player or role player, but not prospects. Karlsson, Babchuk, Carson, Butler, Wilson, Piskula, Kolanos, Jackman, Stempniak, Jones, Sarich, and Comeau (thankfully refused). I don't think it means much at all.

The common rationale is that a signed player is an asset that can later be traded for another asset(s) if shown to be redundant or unnecessary. Usually doesn't work though as the player who lost his job ends up with a perception that he's worthless value wise, which is the case here.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 712
The two way deal would have made some sense if the AHL salary was low enough that Irving wouldn't have to clear recall waivers, but it isn't.

Basically it's one last chance for him to prove himself before Ramo comes over.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:52 AM
RA9

vCash: 883
What are the chances of seeing a ramo/ Irving tandem in the future if Irving proves himself?

RA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:00 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxFlamesFan View Post
What are the chances of seeing a ramo/ Irving tandem in the future if Irving proves himself?
If Featser can persuade Ramo to come over, I think there could be a big possibility of that happening.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:22 AM
FLAMESFAN

Irving had one good game (the Canuck game). I think most of you are making a mistake assigning him the back up already. We need to make sure there is competition for the back up spot. If Irving can't beat out Karlsson, then I have no problem making him waiver material.
This is his year to prove himself, and get rewarded next year if he can.
To be clear I hope he can, I'm just not as sure as most of you.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I'm pretty pumped about Ramo, but while he has more NHL experience than Irving his numbers on the Bolts weren't very good. His S% instantly got ALOT better upon moving to the KHL. I'm optimistic about him because that was a necessary move for his development, but I would like to see more from Ramo in the NHL before we decided to part ways with Irving. Only thing is, unless we move Kipper I'm not sure how that is possible.

Feaster has really changed the culture on the Flames. He brings in Cervenka who is a former teammate of Ramo, brings in Hudler who is very good friend of Cervenka. He has really set the stage to attract these kinds of players. My point being Feaster is using all means at his disposal to make the Flames a better team and more attractive place to play. Darryl did this by overpaying for players and giving them a NMC.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Irving had one good game (the Canuck game).
I may disagree witH the numbers of good games he had, but even one good game is one more than Karlsson had.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Irving had one good game (the Canuck game). I think most of you are making a mistake assigning him the back up already. We need to make sure there is competition for the back up spot. If Irving can't beat out Karlsson, then I have no problem making him waiver material.
I'm really not trying to be an a**, but what has Karlsson proved? From what most of us have seen from Irving, he is much more steady, fundamentally sound, and a more composed goalie than Karlsson.

I like Karlsson, I think he is great teammate to. But all I have seen from him is that he is a questionable goaltender at the NHL level.

I do agree with you though, lets bring both these guys to training camp and see who looks better. Ultimately though, we have invested much more time into Irving and I think it shows. I'd be shocked if we kept Karlsson over Irving.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:27 AM
FLAMESFAN

I don't think I've awarded Karlsson anything. I'm only saying there is a chance he claims the back up spot.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:28 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
What about his Florida game SV% of .951 or his PHX game SV% of .943 or his ANA game SV% of .921 or his OTT game where he had SV% .918 then when you consider he was hurt after his first call up game and played through it putting up those numbers.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:31 AM
FLAMESFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
What about his Florida game SV% of .951 or his PHX game SV% of .943 or his ANA game SV% of .921 or his OTT game where he had SV% .918 then when you consider he was hurt after his first call up game and played through it putting up those numbers.
So are you saying you are one of the fan boys that thinks he doesn't need competition for the job? I'm not trying to put him down, but I'm also not sold on him yet.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:37 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
So are you saying you are one of the fan boys that thinks he doesn't need competition for the job? I'm not trying to put him down, but I'm also not sold on him yet.
What are you talking about? You said he had 1 good game that isn't true. I never said he didn't need a push but my opinion isn't just based on the Canuck game it is also based on all his play on the Heat and the Flames. Karlsson isn't much competition I have no doubt that Irving will out perform him at camp, but having that competition isn't a bad thing.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Thats a fair point, but IMO he has shown that he deserves the backup job over Henrik. Competition is good, but I along with others (I think) would be shocked if Karlsson stayed over Irving.

Old
07-28-2012, 09:39 PM
flameaholic

Surprised he didn't get a one-way deal as he is waiver eligible.

Feaster can now spend the rest of the summer trying to improve our team via the trade front.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:53 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
If you think Irving only had one good game then you need to pay better attention. That's just a blatantly untrue statement.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote