HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How successful will the Hawks be next season?

View Poll Results: How far do the Blackhawks get in 12-13?
Miss playoffs 3 4.76%
1st round loss 27 42.86%
2nd round loss 19 30.16%
Conference final loss 8 12.70%
Appearance in the Cup finals 6 9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

vCash: 500
How successful will the Hawks be next season?

It's been talked to death on this board, in one shape or another. But I'm curious to see it put into numbers.

Now, the offseason isn't over and things could certainly change. However, it appears that barring something completely out of the blue, the Blackhawks' roster for next season is set, aside from a few prospects that will fight for spots (Saad being the most notable).

Let me preface it by including the obvious, but still necessary statement: This is all opinion, of course. No need for trolling or anger here, we're all fans of the same team after all.
Based on whatever reasoning and logic you choose to employ, how far do you think the Hawks will go next season?
I included every option possible so that every opinion is accounted for.
Miss playoffs, 1st round exit, 2nd round exit, loss in the conference finals, or an appearance in the Cup finals? Didn't see any reason to split the last option into two separate ones, because it's potentially mashing up votes fairly pointlessly - getting all the way to the Cup is a success regardless of what happens, I'd say.

Take your pick, and post your rationale behind it if you have the time (some discussion would be good). Your prediction on the outcome of the season can include anything you wish, assuming it's feasible - e.g. a deadline acquisition. Take everything into account that you can, and try to be as honest as possible. Like I said, I'm curious to see what all the Hawk fans on here think in one thread as opposed to a million of them like we have now.

Old
07-28-2012, 10:49 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Same as last year, I think. I think there's a good chance we'll do better in the regular season (both points-wise and standing-wise). However, we really haven't corrected any of the systemic problems on the team - so I'm expecting more of the same.

Old
07-28-2012, 10:53 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
1st or 2nd round exit. Only reason I would mention second is I expect some youngsters to have a positive impact, while Detroit and Nashville have notable regressed roster wise this offseason. Going to be an optimist and vote 2nd round exit, even though in reality that's nothing to brag about.

Old
07-28-2012, 10:59 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

To up in the air to know. Anywhere from top 3 to 6th in the West. Playoffs are a crapshoot, so i'm not gonna predict them. I'm one of the few here that has confidence that they could do some playoff damage, but I won't say they will.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Cullksinikers

Not any better or worse. Same team, same results.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Not Now John
I'm being repressed!

vCash: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Not any better or worse. Same team, same results.
This. A first round exit is inevitable, even if we do get more points and elevate ourselves slightly in the standings.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Sevanston

Without firing the coach or getting a better goalie, I can't see us getting past the second round, if we make it there at all.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:46 AM
digdug41982

And if we get a new coach before the playoffs, how far?

Old
07-29-2012, 03:20 AM
Sarava

I don't think there's a good answer here. I would be shocked if this team missed the playoffs. Beyond that, anything can happen. The talent is there to win the cup. The holes are also there to go one and done. It will depend on the team's overall health, goaltending, how well the team is playing at the time and some luck...if they're going to make a long run or not.

Old
07-29-2012, 03:26 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Make the play-offs in the the bottom 5 and maybe get out of the first round but not beyond that, if that. Too many holes and questions not addressed this off-season to really make any difference.

Old
07-29-2012, 11:24 AM
hockeydoug

I don't like the success of the team based only on the playoffs because no matter how the team in constructed, there will be weaknesses that some other teams will be able to exploit. That's the reality of the cap era and I think dismissing a really good regular season because of a first round loss is a mistake depending on the matchup. I think there has to be a balance when gauging a year combining the two. 4th place in the division and a first round loss is very disappointing, but I don't think well over 100pts and a first round loss should be compared the same even though it was 2 first round losses.

Too much parity to just dismiss good regular seasons now.

Quote:
there’s not enough credit given to the team. That’s league-wide,” he said… “I guess that’s because we give so much attention to winning the Stanley Cup. But it’s not accurate and it’s not fair. The team that finished at the top of the league is a pretty good hockey team. (Stuff) can happen in the playoffs. A lot of (stuff) can happen.”
- Jim Dellevano 2009

Old
07-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I don't think there's a good answer here. I would be shocked if this team missed the playoffs. Beyond that, anything can happen. The talent is there to win the cup. The holes are also there to go one and done. It will depend on the team's overall health, goaltending, how well the team is playing at the time and some luck...if they're going to make a long run or not.
Agreed, they'll be in then after that it's sort of a crapshoot. Goes for a lot of NHL teams next year, like every year. You get in, then anything can happen

Old
07-29-2012, 12:26 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Enter the playoffs with the 4-6 seed, and then after that it's anybody's guess.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

make the POs... then you need luck

too early too tell for me. Luongo hasn't been traded yet, Doan still out with GMs waiting about his decision

Old
07-29-2012, 02:46 PM
xX Hot Fuss

I think our season will live and die with Crawford. He has to have a bounce back year or else this team will be done in 6 in the 1st round again.

HOWEVER! Keep these things in mind...
  1. Shaw, Jayes, Leddy, Kane, Crawford, and Carcillo will all most likely be noticeably better than last year. Thats 6 roster spots out of 18 that will have improved. Not to mention Saad could very well be an impact player and Oduya could/should play like he did after the trade deadline, not during the PHX series.
  2. Detroit (especially) and Nashville got a lot worse in the offseason. Its starting to look like Vancouver might actually have a NHL division now so they wont be cakewalking to a Division title or President's Trophy
  3. The Powerplay was so bad last year that even if next year we have an average/below-average PP this year, it still makes us that much better. Despite the coaching decision i really think the Hawks realize that our PP is a major issue that needs to be improved. I think it will be a lot better next year
  4. Kane will have a full offseason to practice being a center. This means taking faceoff lessons from Toews and continuing his defensive coverage lessons with Hossa. If Kane becomes as good a Center as Bowman believes he can be, as he's showed flashes of this season, i think opposing teams gameplanning against Stalberg-Toews-Sharp and Carcillo-Kane-Hossa will be a nightmare for them

I dont think its too outlandish to suggest that most of what i said is true and we'll be able to see tangible results throughout the season.

Despite everything last year...

-Awful PP, PK
-Toews gone for 20+ games
-Leddy struggling
-Crawford being one of the worst goalies in the NHL
-Kane having 60 points
-Kruger as our 2C

...we still finished with 101 points in the toughest Division in the West, in a Western Conference that had extreme parity. The Hawks had the roster to beat anyone last season. While small changes, i think our roster is still better than last year. Anything can happen in the playoffs so i think its foolish to predict anything. New Jersey made it to the SCF. PIT, VAN, DET, and BOS were all eliminated in the 1st round. I wont be predicting anything specific but i truly believe that this team will go very far in the playoffs next year.

Last edited by xX Hot Fuss: 07-29-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old
07-29-2012, 02:56 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Can this be an official team predictions thread? Maybe a mod can lock it before the season starts and then bump it when the season ends so we can look back at all of our predictions?

Old
07-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
And if we get a new coach before the playoffs, how far?
Tough to say without knowing who the coach is and how well the team will do with him.

But if we get a decent defensive system and even just average goaltending, this roster certainly seems capable of winning the Cup. Not necessarily favorites, but serious contenders for sure.

Old
07-29-2012, 05:04 PM
digdug41982

And what happens of we get that coach and lose in the first round anyway?

Old
07-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
And what happens of we get that coach and lose in the first round anyway?
Clean house. Show Stan the door. He's built a great prospect system, but them's the brakes when you've got an underachieving team three years running.

What if scenarios are pretty stupid, but if LA had actually managed to miss the playoffs or lose in the first round after Lombardi fired Murray and brought in Sutter, Dean probably would've had to find a new job this summer.

Similar situation here. Tons of talent on this roster but if our coaches and upper management can't bring this team out of the first round three years running, it's time to cut ties.

Old
07-29-2012, 05:46 PM
digdug41982

Good. I like Bowmans drafting but that's not enough, and we keep his players anyway so he would be no longer needed unless we launch GAUTHIER and demote him to that spot. I'd be ok with that but would need to happen in less than 12 months or just kick him to the curb. I want an admission that this was way too much for him and he can do player personnel and we can move on to success.

Old
07-29-2012, 05:51 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Get a new coach and win another cup.

Old
07-29-2012, 07:20 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.75 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Without firing the coach or getting a better goalie, I can't see us getting past the second round, if we make it there at all.
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Same as last year, I think. I think there's a good chance we'll do better in the regular season (both points-wise and standing-wise). However, we really haven't corrected any of the systemic problems on the team - so I'm expecting more of the same.
And this.

I'm expecting a second round exit at best, without fixing our neutral zone defenive play.

Old
07-29-2012, 09:37 PM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

vCash: 561
It's a hard question to answer. So many things factor in. If everyone has a great year, we maybe pick up a piece or 2 during the year, there's no reason the Hawks can't go the whole way. That being said, if last year is any indication on how our year is going to go(horrible coaching/PP/PK/**** goaltending/too many down years), we could finish out of the playoffs.

Old
07-29-2012, 09:54 PM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

vCash: 470
I think we get in as the 3 seed and get bounced in the CF by LA.

Old
07-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Exact same as last year.

Closed Thread