HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Free Agency 2012 Part #3

Old
07-28-2012, 09:30 PM
no name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401580

LoL, that's ridiculous. Looks like Doan is staying in Phoenix.
Doan's using his team alliegence to leverage a pricey contract. Why else would he visit NY and Philly? He's drumming up his price tag. I have no doubt he loves Pho, but it's obvious he loves cash just as much.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Omni Owl

Get him:

Brown-Kopitar-Doan
Gagne-Richards-Carter

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:21 PM
MsWoof

I don't buy this team allegiance one bit. He won't sign there because he doesn't want to lose control of where he plays if the team is moved, like what happened to Atlanta last year.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
Get him:

Brown-Kopitar-Doan
Gagne-Richards-Carter
Doubt he would dethrone Williams. I would put him on the third line:

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Carter
Penner-Stoll-Doan

That's just ridiculously overpowered. Then if you let Penner and Gagne go next season, you would still have a solid top 6 and just promote King and Lewis again.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:17 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Doubt he would dethrone Williams. I would put him on the third line:

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Carter
Penner-Stoll-Doan

That's just ridiculously overpowered. Then if you let Penner and Gagne go next season, you would still have a solid top 6 and just promote King and Lewis again.
i disagree you dont sign someone for 5 million+ to do 3rd line mins
gagne kopi carter
brown richard doan
penner stoll williams

Providing we keep all of them. I think tradeing williams or gagne makes sence if we aquire doan

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:44 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
gagne kopi carter
brown richard doan
penner stoll williams

Providing we keep all of them. I think tradeing williams or gagne makes sence if we aquire doan
Doan brings a lot to the team. That includes leadership, PP, and grit. Williams is worthless on the third line since he is terrible 15 feet away fromt he net and relies 100% on teammates. Doan would be amazing in that role, along with his role as said above.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:57 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Doan brings a lot to the team. That includes leadership, PP, and grit. Williams is worthless on the third line since he is terrible 15 feet away fromt he net and relies 100% on teammates. Doan would be amazing in that role, along with his role as said above.
thats why i suggest we trade him if we get doan

Old
07-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 1400
I'm sure Doan would play all 3 lines, and play it well.

Let's just get him signed for a reasonable rate and we'll worry about the lineup later.

Get'er done Deano!

Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:11 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
gagne kopi carter
brown richard doan
penner stoll williams

The Kings are paying JW almost as much....no matter what someone is making alot on the third. And since when does what line a person play on dependent of how much they make...shouldn't that have made Penner a first line winger under Murray?

Quote:
Wow, just Wow.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:18 AM
Fishhead

I would be shocked if it happened, but if by chance the Kings do get Doan, the first line is not getting scrambled. The chemistry is fantastic, not gonna happen.

I wouldn't mess with the 2nd line either, and just put Doan with Gagne and Stoll. Fraser-Lewis-King on the 4th, well that's a sick 4th line.

That's basically a couple of first lines, a 2nd and a borderline 3rd. That would leave 2 spots for Richardson, Clifford, and Nolan to fight over.

I think it's more likely that Bernier is packaged with Clifford/Nolan plus a prospect/pick if the Kings want to make noise at the deadline, but stranger things have happened for sure.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:31 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

At times, Williams is an extremely frustrating player to watch, but when the chips were down last season he stepped up and had some key plays in the playoffs. And his style of play perfectly compliments AK and DB and what they do.

This is a spot that could be upgraded if the right deal or player came along, 36 year old Shane Doan and his ridiculous asking price certainly aren't that player, not even close.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:38 AM
Ron
Kings Fan Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
At times, Williams is an extremely frustrating player to watch, but when the chips were down last season he stepped up and had some key plays in the playoffs. And his style of play perfectly compliments AK and DB and what they do.

This is a spot that could be upgraded if the right deal or player came along, 36 year old Shane Doan and his ridiculous asking price certainly aren't that player, not even close.
The bolded part is truth.

I was extremely frustrated by his mediocre play during the season, but two plays really stand out in my mind during the SCF: that beautiful drop pass off the half-board to Brown for the assist to Kopitar on the best goal in the playoffs in game 3, and that awesome no-look assist to Kopi for the game winner in game 1.

That alone earns his keep on line #1 in my book.

07-29-2012, 03:14 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
I would be shocked if it happened, but if by chance the Kings do get Doan, the first line is not getting scrambled. The chemistry is fantastic, not gonna happen.

I wouldn't mess with the 2nd line either, and just put Doan with Gagne and Stoll. Fraser-Lewis-King on the 4th, well that's a sick 4th line.

That's basically a couple of first lines, a 2nd and a borderline 3rd. That would leave 2 spots for Richardson, Clifford, and Nolan to fight over.

I think it's more likely that Bernier is packaged with Clifford/Nolan plus a prospect/pick if the Kings want to make noise at the deadline, but stranger things have happened for sure.
Not that I'm advocating the following changes to the lineup, but let's speak hypothetically of the deepest possible lineup this team could ice if they added Doan. If Sutter wanted to spread his talent around, he could throw this out there to mess with teams that try to match lines.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Carter-Doan
Penner-Richards-Nolan
King-Stoll-Lewis

That would give the opposing coaches fits when they can't have enough lines or D pairs to go up against them. You figure coach's will think about that. Just some food for thought.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Chruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
(...)
Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Carter-Doan
Penner-Richards-Nolan
King-Stoll-Lewis
(...)
What kind of minutes would you give to each line?

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:22 AM
damacles1156

There is really no reason to play Carter as a Center. Unless you find him a winger that passes a lot like Williams.

Carter/Richards is great cause, Richards just might be the second best passer on the team.

There is no reason to saddle Richards with players that can't put the puck in the net.

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:47 AM
johnjm22

Carter has played the best hockey of his career at center, and he's played with a variety of different wingers along the way but always found success.

During his 46 goal season in 08-09, he played with Lupul and Hartnell on his wings; not exactly guys who are known as great passers.

People act like Richards/Carter need to play together or something, but the fact is they rarely played on the same line in Philly.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

I for one am not super frustrated with Williams. Rather, I tend not TO GET frustrated with Williams.

His role has been one thing: Support. And he knows it. He isn't the highlight reel guy on any line he plays on. He will always be the second banana, or supporting cast member.

I just think about how he played in the playoffs with Brown and Kopitar. He is the first name people will forget that played on that line, yet he was so integral to its success. He was relentless on his pursuit, and he dug out those pucks for the big guys to do their thing.

Williams, he almost goes as his top playing linemates go. If Kopitar isn't on, he won't look on either. But Williams, if he is on his game, he can certainly get his line going with his effort.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:19 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
The Kings are paying JW almost as much....no matter what someone is making alot on the third. And since when does what line a person play on dependent of how much they make...shouldn't that have made Penner a first line winger under Murray?

Wow, just Wow.
Doan is a upgrade over williams in alot of ways. Hes more physical while putting up simlar numbers. He would also be a upgrade for our pp WIlliams for all his talent doesnt seem to do much on the pp. If we signed Doan he would get more mintues and play with either richard or kopitar. He would need top six mins. In general most of the top min players on a team are the top paid players. ie koptiar top forward top mins drew top defenseman paid top mins. You dont spend alot of money for people in bottom 6 Doan would be getting top money mins thus u would play him in the top six.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:05 PM
johnjm22

People forget how much Williams carried the Kings offense during the 1st part of the 10-11 season.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
There is really no reason to play Carter as a Center. Unless you find him a winger that passes a lot like Williams.

Carter/Richards is great cause, Richards just might be the second best passer on the team.

There is no reason to saddle Richards with players that can't put the puck in the net.
Did you guys misread or completely look over the part where I suggested this be done occasionally to throw off the other team?

Old
07-29-2012, 03:30 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

I'm all for a third line of Brownie, Richards, and Doan. Eh?

Who's with me?

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post

Who's with me?
I can guarantee you there are 29 teams that don't like your idea at all.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post

Who's with me?
Imagine being on the other side of the bench and trying to match a line to go up against that, or Kopitar with Gagne and Williams, or Carter with Penner and whoever else.

Scotty Bowman used to do something like this with his lineup. He'd spread his talent around to throw off the other team. You'd see Fedorov with Doug Brown, Larionov with Kozlov, and Yzerman with Shanahan. Draper and Maltby were always together but Bowman would rotate different sets of wingers throughout the lines, for example you'd see Lapointe or McCarty with Yzerman or Fedorov at times. Or Holmstrom. It's a strategy that proved to be successful for him and his deep squad.

Old
07-29-2012, 04:44 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post

Wow, just Wow.
That's been the general opinion the last two years. Williams is a bad player if he's not within 15 feet of the net. He can't carry the puck, he's always in the wrong spot, he's poor defensively, is worthless in the corners, he's a turnover machine. His strengths involve cleaning up the trash.

Everyone agrees and has said so a hundred times. Also, I know it's popular for you to say "wow, just wow" but it really bothers me how you mess it up all the time. Wow is a one word statement. There should be a period in there.

Old
07-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
That's been the general opinion the last two years. Williams is a bad player if he's not within 15 feet of the net. He can't carry the puck, he's always in the wrong spot, he's poor defensively, is worthless in the corners, he's a turnover machine. His strengths involve cleaning up the trash.

Everyone agrees and has said so a hundred times. Also, I know it's popular for you to say "wow, just wow" but it really bothers me how you mess it up all the time. Wow is a one word statement. There should be a period in there.
Everyone doesn't say that and it's 100% incorrect. Williams frustrates me a lot, but the only thing you listed there that has any semblance of truth is that he turns the puck over a decent amount. He more than makes up for it in other areas though.

To he say he relies on other players is absurd. There's a reason Williams has been stapled to Kopitar's wing for a few seasons now, and it's not because Williams relies on Kopitar...

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote