Mens tournament starts tommorow with Iceland and Argentina opening the competition.
Schedule for 29th of July:
10:30AM CET, 4:30AM ET, Iceland vs Argentina
Iceland is the clear cut favourite in this game and even tough Argentina improved a lot in recent years anything except their win would be a big surprise.
3:30PM CET, 9:30AM ET, Sweden vs Tunisia
Tough game to predict, Sweden depends on their goalies and their biggest star Kim Andersson, Tunisia is pretty wild and when they're on they can beat anyone.
8:30PM CET, 2:30PM ET, France vs Great Britain
This should be an easy days work for France.
12:15PM CET, 6:15AM ET, Croatia vs South Korea
Croatia is big favourite in this game, but S. Korea has traditionaly been a tricky opponent for them. This should be an entertaining fast paced game.
5:15PM CET, 11:15AM ET, Spain vs Serbia
A tough one to call, both teams play tough hard nosed defense, but while Spain relies more on fast-breaks and line play while they're in offense, Serbia depends on their two big shooters from the outside (Vujin and Ilić). This game is must see TV for handball fans.
10:15PM CET, 4:15PM ET, Hungary vs Denmark
Denmark is the favourite here IMHO, but Hungary could provide an upset. This should be a good game hard nose game, both team don't shy away from borderline dirty play in defense.
5 players to watch on the oppening game:
1. Arpad Šterbik - big Serbian goalie who's playing for Spain now, he should be motivated against his native country.
2. Darko Stanić - Serbian goalie and their biggest star, it will be fun to see who does better, he or Arpad?
3. Kim Andersson - he needs to have a big game for Sweden in their match against Tunisia.
4. Mikkel Hansen - one of the best handball players in the world, he'll have to be at a high level for Denmark to win against Hungary.
5. Laszlo Nagy - Hungary's answer to Hansen, those two will go toe to toe both when they're playing defense and offense.
Bonus: Croatia's Ivano Balić - handball's Mozart (or Magic/Jordan if you prefer it that way) and the most creative handball player today. He always plays good against S. Korea.
That's going to be a tough game for us, we always play close games with Korea for some reason and we always suck in opening games. They started the game by playing wild 3-3 defense and their goalie is on fire.
Seems like Croatia scores a goal on every possession, fairly easy too.
They missed a lot of chances as well, but our defense and Alilović are playing great right now. Korea can't play good defense against our team, we're too fast for them when they play a wild 3-3 or 4-2 zone and their defense isn't tall enough to stop our great outside shooters if they play in a classic 6-0 defense.