HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll: Doan Vs. Semin

View Poll Results: Doan or Semin
Doan 132 58.41%
Semin 62 27.43%
Neither of Them 32 14.16%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-26-2012, 10:12 PM
  #151
pine*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Poor Canes fans...at least it's only a year. But $7 millions??
Nothing wrong with that. Amazing signing for them.

They needed to make it to the cap floor anyways. Semin helps them do that.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:37 PM
  #152
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
You don't pay much attention, do you? I've stated in a couple of occasions in the last few days that I would have taken a chance with Semin on a one or two year deal at $5M per season.

But in this thread, it's between Doan or Semin on same term, same contract. Yes, I pick Doan.

Here, I'll save you the trouble of searching... also to prove how wrong you are.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=115
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3&postcount=79
I stand corrected.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:15 PM
  #153
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Great signing for Carolina. Would have loved to see him on the Habs on those terms. Event at two years, 6 million, I would have gladly taken him.

Guy gets a bad rap because he's Russian. I think in the last 4 years combined there are only 3 or 4 players in the NHL with a better +/-.

Anyhow, good luck to him in Carolina.

And:
Semin way before Doan (assuming same contract terms). Considering the terrible year he (and the entire Capitals team had), he still outscored Doan, and Doan is not getting any younger.
There might be some Don Cherry worshipers out there that might think this way, but I certain certainly don't think this way. I have doubts about Semin because he is an enigma, with questionable character.

Having said that, I think its a pretty good risk to sign semin on a 1 year basis. The only scary part for me was locking him on a multi year deal. This deal should at least provide Semin some adequate motivation to perform for his next contract.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:08 PM
  #154
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis
 
Chris Pronger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,270
vCash: 50
Semin gets you to the playoffs, Doan wins you the cup

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:11 PM
  #155
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥
 
Theosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DDO, Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfever View Post
Semin gets you to the playoffs, Doan wins you the cup
So we should have signed both of them

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:17 AM
  #156
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfever View Post
Semin gets you to the playoffs, Doan wins you the cup
Shane Doan is 35 years old and has never won a Cup...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 03:42 AM
  #157
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Shane Doan is 35 years old and has never won a Cup...
The cast around you matters too. I though Shane Doan was the yotes best forward last year in the playoffs. His style matches perfectly with the majority of the kings players under Darryl Sutter. These are the type of players that can help you win playoff games or any high intensity, and chippy affairs in this current era.

You can put one of the elite forwards in this league on phoenix, and subtract shane doan, and I still doubt that would bring them the cup either in recent years.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:27 AM
  #158
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Semin avg 35G per 82GP. FACT. Simple and clear. Over the course of a full season(82GP), that is his current average. FACT.

Doan isn't injured as often, okay. He will also be 36 next year and retire in a couple of years.

A blurb of nonsense? Was it too hard for you to understand COLD HARD FACTS?
Or is that your counter argument when you have nothing else to say? You don't know what to answer so your resort to childish comments like ''blurb of nonsense'' and ''keep digging''?

Caps had the most dominant record and goal scoring touch since the lock out that year where Semin scored 40G and they kept the ''run and gun'' style. FACT.
They won the President trophy that year. FACT.
They did lose in the POs to us, but so did the defending Stanley Cup Champs. FACT.
Ovie, Green, Backstrom and Semin, all regressed offensively after that season. FACT.
Caps never looked as good or as dominant since that year. FACT.
Since after that season, they resorted to a more defensive style of play? FACT.

I know it's crazy, but, could there be a link between playing more defensively and less production??? Crazy stuff I know!
That's all a blurb of nonsense.


Players will generally produce less in a defensive system as opposed to an offensive one. Is that also non-sense?? And you dare criticize someone's understanding of the game after such moronic comments? Please man, your post is full of fail.

I also never said Martin didn't have a system. He actually did, and produced better results than I'd imagine. I said he was fired. FACT.
I said RC didn't have a system. All he did was tell the defense to dump it out of the zone by the boards, and tell our offensive guys to dump it in the zone. Not what I consider a system.

You think we will preach a defensive system next year? How does this make any freaking sense to you. Because we don't have two superstars we need to play defense?? Mike was not hired for his strong defensive structured system. He never employed one because he doesn't have one. We will be a physical aggressive forechecking team aimed towards the offense. We have a bunch of puck moving Dmen, and fast forwards, but yea, we'll play defensive with a non-defensive coach after 3years of failure under a defensive system. Makes a whole lot of sense to me.


As for the 10 extra goals. Thanks for telling me it won't make a difference. I feel much better now..
WOW. I won't waste too much time on you because you clearly can't read and like digging a hole you can't get yourself out of.

The highlighted part is what I've been saying all along. Can you read????

Semin AS declined under a defensive system. Habs won't be a run and gun style type of team (never said they were going to be defensive, just not run and gun, again, you can't read and its impossible to discuss with someone like you who makes stuff up to try and validate a point) and they don't have super elite players like Washington, so Semin won't be as productive here like he as not the past 2 years in Washington. CAPICH NOW!!!!

And thanks for proving my point with your FACTS

Heer's another FACT, you can't read!

Oh, and Selanne is still playing at 40, so thanks for letting us know that Doan only as 2 years left in him. Nobody knows except him. The guy is in excelllent shape.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:24 AM
  #159
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis
 
Chris Pronger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,270
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Shane Doan is 35 years old and has never won a Cup...
Because all that time, he was with a horrible team that relies only on a defensive system. Their goaltending is overrated

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:27 AM
  #160
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
WOW. I won't waste too much time on you because you clearly can't read and like digging a hole you can't get yourself out of.
As I pointed out earlier, this is what you say when you can't counter arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
The highlighted part is what I've been saying all along. Can you read????

Semin AS declined under a defensive system. Habs won't be a run and gun style type of team and they don't have super elite players like Washington, so Semin won't be as productive here like he as not the past 2 years in Washington. CAPICH NOW!!!!
Is it really a decline if it's just a byproduct of a system? I don't think so.
And you shouldn't put so much emphasis on it when all the stars in Washington got affected by it. There's nothing that says he wouldn't pick it up again if he was given more freedom. The limit of his production is unknown. We'll see how he does in Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
(never said they were going to be defensive, just not run and gun, again, you can't read and its impossible to discuss with someone like you who makes stuff up to try and validate a point)
I think you need a reminder of what you did write, so here goes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Its too funny people thinking Semin could score 40 with the Habs and their defensive system.
So, you see, you DID say we had a defensive system. You don't even know what you wrote anymore. It's sad I have to show you your own words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
And thanks for proving my point with your FACTS

Heer's another FACT, you can't read
Actually, I Can read just fine. So you are wrong once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Oh, and Selanne is still playing at 40, so thanks for letting us know that Doan only as 2 years left in him. Nobody knows except him. The guy is in excelllent shape.
So because Selanne is playing at 40, so will Doan?
It is a possibility, but I usually don't bank on players still performing over 40.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:26 PM
  #161
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,452
vCash: 500
If the Hurricanes win a playoff round or two and the Habs come in ninth I'd say the Habs should have signed Semin.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 04:49 PM
  #162
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
If the Hurricanes win a playoff round or two and the Habs come in ninth I'd say the Habs should have signed Semin.
Carolina was 12th last year. Even if Semin comes in and plays like the 30-30 player the Semin-boosters like myself are projecting him to, that is not enough for Carolina to improve to a 2nd round playoff team. However, they also have a good coach and they have Jordan Staal.

We shouldn't attribute solely to Semin how Carolina performs next year. He improves their odds, but they're still a bubble team (imo).

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 04:53 PM
  #163
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
As I pointed out earlier, this is what you say when you can't counter arguments.



Is it really a decline if it's just a byproduct of a system? I don't think so.
And you shouldn't put so much emphasis on it when all the stars in Washington got affected by it. There's nothing that says he wouldn't pick it up again if he was given more freedom. The limit of his production is unknown. We'll see how he does in Carolina.


I think you need a reminder of what you did write, so here goes:

So, you see, you DID say we had a defensive system. You don't even know what you wrote anymore. It's sad I have to show you your own words.


Actually, I Can read just fine. So you are wrong once again.


So because Selanne is playing at 40, so will Doan?
It is a possibility, but I usually don't bank on players still performing over 40.
Kriss,

I wonder if you agree with my assessment (mostly discussed in the surgery thread) that Bergevin's lack of desire for Semin (or Jagr... ) demonstrates that he is not obsessed with winning this year.

IMO, the Habs are an 11th-15th place team next year. With Semin they would be a 6tth-10th place team.He's half of what we need, a goal-scoring winger with elite puck-possession and puck distribution ability, good size and excellent defensive awareness.

[[The other half of what we need is on the D-corps, which a Semin signing would have nothing to do with]]

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:05 PM
  #164
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
If the Hurricanes win a playoff round or two and the Habs come in ninth I'd say the Habs should have signed Semin.
If only it was that simple...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:04 PM
  #165
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
The cast around you matters too.
Well then, my point that "Doan wins you the Cup" is a ridiculous statement still stands.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:32 AM
  #166
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well then, my point that "Doan wins you the Cup" is a ridiculous statement still stands.
I think it was meant to be a bit of hyperbole, but if I were looking to get to the promised land and had to choose one of Doan or Semin to go to battle, I'll go for Doan anytime.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:56 AM
  #167
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Kriss,

I wonder if you agree with my assessment (mostly discussed in the surgery thread) that Bergevin's lack of desire for Semin (or Jagr... ) demonstrates that he is not obsessed with winning this year.

IMO, the Habs are an 11th-15th place team next year. With Semin they would be a 6tth-10th place team.He's half of what we need, a goal-scoring winger with elite puck-possession and puck distribution ability, good size and excellent defensive awareness.

[[The other half of what we need is on the D-corps, which a Semin signing would have nothing to do with]]
I agree that Bergevin is not obsessed with winning this year, but I think this stems from not having too many interesting players available. By that I mean players that Bergevin is interested in. He was adamant on bringing in more character players but I hope he doesn't build a one style team. We need talented skilled players too, and he passed up on them. He apparently has an interest on Doan though, which makes me think he's not uninterested in winning this year. It's more about getting the guys he wants.

As I said though, I really don't think our team is as bad as some think. I feel we're already a PO bubble team, depending on how we're coached. I don't see us finishing in the lottery again unless everything goes bad again.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:46 AM
  #168
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I think it was meant to be a bit of hyperbole, but if I were looking to get to the promised land and had to choose one of Doan or Semin to go to battle, I'll go for Doan anytime.
Well, it's more than just hyperbole (exaggeration of the truth), since there's no truth whatshowever to Doan leading a team anywhere in the NHL playoffs. What was it this year, his first time out of the 1st round after 8 tries? Not interested in the details of the team(s) around him; I watched them all. At 36, with a better support cast than he has likely ever had, he almost looked like the kind of player many are saying that he was all along.

Doan's leadership is over-rated, imo. A good, tough player like Shane Corson was. Maybe a bit more skilled, not quite as tough, and not quite as much of a factor in the playoffs. Wouldn't mind having him at all. NOT willing to accept his services if they come with a price tag over $5 million, though. That kind of money should be reserved for younger, more talented players.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:22 AM
  #169
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Kriss,

I wonder if you agree with my assessment (mostly discussed in the surgery thread) that Bergevin's lack of desire for Semin (or Jagr... ) demonstrates that he is not obsessed with winning this year.

IMO, the Habs are an 11th-15th place team next year. With Semin they would be a 6tth-10th place team.He's half of what we need, a goal-scoring winger with elite puck-possession and puck distribution ability, good size and excellent defensive awareness.

[[The other half of what we need is on the D-corps, which a Semin signing would have nothing to do with]]
Personally, I think that it speaks more of the type of player(s) he's looking for. He's said multiple times that he wants character players and neither Semin nor Jagr fit that bill. Proof is that he's wanting Shane Doan.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:29 AM
  #170
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Personally, I think that it speaks more of the type of player(s) he's looking for. He's said multiple times that he wants character players and neither Semin nor Jagr fit that bill. Proof is that he's wanting Shane Doan.
How is Jagr not a character player?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:54 AM
  #171
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,373
vCash: 500
I think "character" is a buzz-word that fans and media like to throw around a bit too much, for the record.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:27 PM
  #172
Rosso Scuderia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
How is Jagr not a character player?
He is european.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:26 PM
  #173
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
How is Jagr not a character player?
How is he a character player?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:32 PM
  #174
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
How is he a character player?
He goes to the dirty areas, he distributes the puck to his teammates well, and he does what's needed to stay in peak physical shape.

As an aside, the fact he puts the number 68 on his back is evidence to me that he is a man of depth. His number actually has meaning.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:32 PM
  #175
WhiskeySeven
Avatard
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
He goes to the dirty areas, he distributes the puck to his teammates well, and he does what's needed to stay in peak physical shape.

As an aside, the fact he puts the number 68 on his back is evidence to me that he is a man of depth. His number actually has meaning.
Wow. I'm rarely speechless but...

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.