HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dion Phaneuf's next contract?

View Poll Results: Phaneuf's next contract
3 years @ 6.5M 54 42.86%
5 years @ 4.5M 45 35.71%
3 years @ 4M 7 5.56%
There will be no contract as he will not return tot he Leafs. 20 15.87%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-29-2012, 12:30 AM
Leafs24Seven*

vCash: 500
Apparently you havnt a clue. Count the times he says "we" and "our"..... one time he said "I" and it was "I have to be a physical player or I am not that effective" Go back to your real team and stop bashing all things Leafs in the Leafs forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Do you always comment without wondering and doing a little research.

He is always about himself.....look at interviews that he gives and look at the tape and tell me what you see?

He failed to attend a dinner in Sundin's honour and that pissed off a lot of ex Leafs/ captains! Here is a reporters view of Dion as well as a interview so that you can see.

[url]http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1154598--feschuk-dion-phaneuf-has-a-lot-to-learn-about-being-a-captain[url]

Last edited by Leafs24Seven*: 07-29-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:43 AM
edge7287
Cop Shoot Cop...

This fan base is so bipolar...

edge7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:12 AM
Leafs24Seven*

Are you kidding me? As long as he is not wearing a montreal canadiens hat I could care less what hat he wears, it is his head and he gives his all to the Leafs. If you hate the guy so much then why even mention him?

Dion is a big part of our team moving forward and is doing a fine job as Captain for a guy who has never been one before in the NHL and was given the huge responsibility at his age of being Captain of a historic original 6 team. He is much better than other fan bases give him credit for and most would love him on their team, just wont admit it.

Quote:
Check my posting history before calling me a troll......

Look at the video is what I said.....why in almost all interviews does he wear the Red Bull hat.....and not the Leafs hat as that is who he is representing in those post game interviews.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:10 AM
T M L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Where are these people that are in the know about Dion?
Talk is cheap bud. I have nothing to say on that topic.

It is no secret of Dions likability. He was shipped out of Calgary for a reason.

Anyway, I am ok with 5M @ 5 years IF he is in top forum. This delusional talk of him getting 7M + Crosby money is outrageous.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:42 AM
Leafs24Seven*

Have you seen the salaries being thrown around this summer? Dion if continuing to play like he did last year and top minutes, oh yea, he is the captain and all that entails, will command a raise without a doubt, unless major changes with the cap/ new cba. 7-7.5 mil of at least 5 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post

Anyway, I am ok with 5M @ 5 years IF he is in top forum. This delusional talk of him getting 7M + Crosby money is outrageous.

Old
07-29-2012, 09:15 AM
eyeball11

Anyone who thinks Phaneuf doesn't command over $5 M on the open market is bat guano crazy and I would question whether they follow NHL hockey at all.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:29 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Anyone who thinks Phaneuf doesn't command over $5 M on the open market is bat guano crazy and I would question whether they follow NHL hockey at all.
Yup. The contracts the UFA's got just early this month was laughable.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Depends on what happens with the cap/inflation/his performance, but I would say the equivalent of something around 5y, $5m/y today based on performance so far.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:28 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Do you think Calgary would give away a D man like him...for so little just to be nice to the Leafs? They were happy to be rid of him. Addition by subtraction.

He is a legend......in his own mind!

He is not a number one d -man. He is a horrible team mate and we made him captain..... Burke is to blame...in his haste to put a face on the franchise he put the "C" on Dion.....

Dion never makes a mistake....just ask him....he blames others all the time!
He plays against the best players night in and night out, plays both specail teams and was 10 in scoring for defenceman in the entire NHL, and 10th in ATOI for all defenceman in the NHL. And that still doesnt make him a #1 d?? Amazing how completely clueless so many seem to be.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:40 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
Dion has 2 years @ 6.5M left on his contract. Do you think he will remain a Toronto Maple Leaf, and if so what would his next contract be? I think we can all agree that there is NO way he gets 6.5M again. He is now 27 so if another 5 year contract was awarded he would 32.

What do you think is a fair # for Dion, and how many years.

If he stays (and he most likely will) I think 4.5M tops @ 3-5 years.

What you guys think?
$4.5 million is nothing based on this years signings. People keep pointing to Wideman and I think that's a good start. DP hasn't been a star in a few years. nor has he played a solid 80 game season for the Leafs, but I can't believe any club thinks Wideman is of similar value to Phaneuf. His value is way down since he signed the big contract, but thanks to inflation, that contract isn't so big anymore. If he was available today (and keeping in mind I am not a big fan of his) I could see him costing a club somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5 in a multi year deal. His offense has been better than in the previous two seasons and he is still only just 27 so you could see a club letting him off the hook like the Flyers did with Schenn.

But he isn't up this year so the above is kind of meaningless, as is trying to predict his value before he goes on the market. If he scores 35 points next season he will be painted with a turd brush and no way anyone thinks he is a $6 million guy, If he hits 50+ and the club doesn't do it's February toilet dive then he is 6.5+ but he is still a year away from UFA.

Without being able to analyze the full season preceding the contract talks we don't know what they are buying. It would be like determining Lupul's value without knowing if last season is repeatable. He should either be traded immediately because he will never be worth half this much again, or he should be locked up forever before he reinforces his stardom and costs them a mint. I am glad they have more time on both accounts.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Interactif

Making Dion Captain was not needed at the time, too much too soon for Dion to burden. Saying that less would have done him wonders IMO, he is still a pretty damn good D man if we can lessen his on and off ice duties.

Interactif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:48 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Players know that UFA status means overpayment. Everyone knows this.

I'd rather see Phaneuf shipped off because I'm not sure how they can strip him of the C, and keep him.

Depending on the cap, I could see 5-6 years at 7 million per year.

I wouldn't like it, but being UFA he'll get overpaid.

I'd hope in the meantime someone introduces him to Toastmasters.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:00 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Players know that UFA status means overpayment. Everyone knows this.

I'd rather see Phaneuf shipped off because I'm not sure how they can strip him of the C, and keep him.

Depending on the cap, I could see 5-6 years at 7 million per year.

I wouldn't like it, but being UFA he'll get overpaid.

I'd hope in the meantime someone introduces him to Toastmasters.
Who could we possibly accquire or sign to replace Dion's contributions. Guy plays most minutes, by far. Plays top line 5v5, PP and PK. Goes against the other teams top players night in and night out, all the while getting very, most nights no support, from the rest of the defense-men we have. Gunnarsson is nice, but not top line quality.

Its truly funny when people think shipping out Dion will make us a better team, overall.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:07 PM
IranCondraAffair

He's going to get an another offer of 6.5 million over seven years from someone, it just might not be the leafs.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:14 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
Who could we possibly accquire or sign to replace Dion's contributions. Guy plays most minutes, by far. Plays top line 5v5, PP and PK. Goes against the other teams top players night in and night out, all the while getting very, most nights no support, from the rest of the defense-men we have. Gunnarsson is nice, but not top line quality.

Its truly funny when people think shipping out Dion will make us a better team, overall.
It is called team play.

How many teams had Phaneuf playing for them this year? Were the Leafs better defensively than all those teams? Did they all have a better defender than Phaneuf? How many teams were worse defensively than the Leafs?

I'll answer one question for you, with Phaneuf the Leafs were the 2nd. worst defensive team in the league.

Yes, it was all goaltending ... so that means Phaneuf didn't make the team a good defensive team.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:17 PM
bunjay

Quote:

Gunnarsson is just fine as a #2 guy. He's a far more intelligent defensive player than Phaneuf. And a real #1 would make that top pairing rock solid.

We already have a defenseman that will make Phaneuf disposable.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:18 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawfirst View Post
If Dion was UFA this summer he'd have signed a larger deal than Suter.
You have got to be kidding me??? This might be the biggest homer post I have ever seen, come on Phaneuf is talented, but come on...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Lehner

Quote:
More skilled offensively. He is not that good in his own zone, and plays very minimal PK time. Dion is out there the whole 2 minutes it seems like some kills. Karlsson doesn't nearly have as important role on the Sens that Phaneuf with the leafs.
LOL! Are you serious? Karlsson is the Ottawa Senators system. Karlsson is way more important then Phaneuf and its not even close.

I dont wanna be banned but this post I had to comment on.

Lehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:22 PM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

Phaneuf can GTFO. We better not be paying him 6.5+. Sorry, but the people who praise him are laughable. He is always out of position, always pinches, always gets burned wide and contrary to popular belief, he is quite soft. Not to mention he is slow and cannot pivot quick enough. If the right deal is out there, we should not hesitate to move him. Just my opinion from what I see on the ice. Sure there are positives but the negatives are just too obvious. The fact is, since we got him, we have not improved and as the captain I have to question his leadership skills.

InterceptSchenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:23 PM
clawfirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
You have got to be kidding me??? This might be the biggest homer post I have ever seen, come on Phaneuf is talented, but come on...
Shake your head all you want. If you drop Shea Weber into Dions spot you'd think the same of him. Conversely you put Dion with suter in front of Rinne in the team defensive system of Nashville you get essentially....Shea Weber. You just dont watch 80 Nashville games a year.

clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:25 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Shake your head all you want. If you drop Shea Weber into Dions spot you'd think the same of him. Conversely you put Dion with suter in front of Rinne in the team defensive system of Nashville you get essentially....Shea Weber. You just dont watch 80 Nashville games a year.
I gues we are going to have to agree to disagree..

Let me guess, you also think Burkie's a top 3 GM?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:31 PM
clawfirst

Who ranks Gm's like that?

There are moves I like that he's made. Moves I don't. I generally like the plan.

Back on topic. Dion would have gotten a huge retirement deal if he was UFA. No doubt.

clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:33 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
LOL! Are you serious? Karlsson is the Ottawa Senators system. Karlsson is way more important then Phaneuf and its not even close.

I dont wanna be banned but this post I had to comment on.
Don't worry, a lot of Leafs fans are smarter than that. Karlsson is already doing things Phaneuf will never do, and their trajectories are going in opposite directions...

Old
07-29-2012, 12:38 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 2200
Quote:
You're trolling to hard . The key to a good troll is being subtle . Saying DP is as good if not better than Weber and Karlsson is going way over the top .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:40 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Strange then that the hockey n00bs that put together the best hockey team in the world two years ago didn't even take Phaneuf over Dan Boyle, let alone Weber.

Since then Phaneuf's stock has fallen even further.