HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

U23 World Cup

Old
07-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Until we see something from an official source it's just talk and "floated ideas".
The part about cities being able to bid to host it, struck down as the most outrageous one. Worlds are already very costly to organize but there's guaranteed profit due to the reputation of the tournament, public interest and the timing of it.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
You two are too funny, OP's dream topic, IIHF is an umbrella organization World Cup has no traction because it's not all inclusive, what about Turkey, Belgium and Israel??? You're kidding right? That's the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while.

It was an idea floated out there of a revived World Cup 12 team competition, that cities could bid on to host...not an NHL or NHLPA sponsored event... and out of all the ideas that come out of the IIHF, that one had the most merit, in my opinion.
You missed the point! The IIHF is the world federation that governs international hockey, which includes the powerhouses and countries that are just starting to play. It has different levels of competition under its auspices, and its governing role is bestowed by participating countries. It does not have a direct entrepeneurial role, and I am extremely skeptical that "ideas" for new tournaments were "floated." Under 23 has no significance, and would just be creating a tournament for the sake of creating one.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:36 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
USA as of today...

('91)Kreider-('90)Stepan-('91)K.Palmieri
('94)Galchenyuk-('90)T.Johnson-('91)Morin
('92)Saad-('92)Coyle-('90)Kristo
('91)D'Amigo-('92)Bjugstad-('90)Schroeder
('90)McCrae/('92)Watson/('92)Etem/('91)B.Nelson

It's quite hard to figure at forward because so few guys have proven themselves in the pro game. The '90 group looks to be almost completely barren and the '91 and '92 groups still have a lot to prove. Aside from Galchenyuk, I'd be hesitant to go with any '93 or younger players. The lines I have here are completely up for debate so don't read all that much into them.

('90)Carlson-('92)Faulk
('90)Bogosian-('91)Fowler
('91)Leddy-('90)Gardiner
('90)Donovan-('90)Moore
('91)Dumoulin

Defense would clearly be the strong point of the team.

('92)Campbell
('93)Gibson
('90)Joe Cannata

Hard to say here because there are really no '90 and '91 goalies who've proven themselves in the pro game. I'd probably want to bring a bunch of the college guys that age together in a goalie camp and see if they can show better than the two young guys with all the potential.
Colin Wilson missing the cut by 2 months hurts us at center..

agree with most of what you said, but I think J.T Miller, Stefan Noesen, Jason Zucker and Shane Prince are going to be names that will certainly be in the conversation of making this squad....especially Noesen and Zucker. I also like Jared Knight as a grinder who could be a solid player for this squad.

though I like John Moore a lot, I hope he gets the chance in Columbus to finally step up and play..if not then I think Jon Blum will be a kid to earn a spot on this squad as he likely will have a nice role with the Preds with Suter gone and possibly Weber.

Mike Lee might be in the running for a goaltending spot if he is healthy this year, same with Mac Carruth if he does get AHL time this season with Rockford

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:25 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
Colin Wilson missing the cut by 2 months hurts us at center..

agree with most of what you said, but I think J.T Miller, Stefan Noesen, Jason Zucker and Shane Prince are going to be names that will certainly be in the conversation of making this squad....especially Noesen and Zucker. I also like Jared Knight as a grinder who could be a solid player for this squad.

though I like John Moore a lot, I hope he gets the chance in Columbus to finally step up and play..if not then I think Jon Blum will be a kid to earn a spot on this squad as he likely will have a nice role with the Preds with Suter gone and possibly Weber.

Mike Lee might be in the running for a goaltending spot if he is healthy this year, same with Mac Carruth if he does get AHL time this season with Rockford
I had meant to include Zucker as a possibility but forgot to put him on there. Blum is an '89 so he wouldn't be eligible by the criteria I was going with.

It's really just a roster as of today I was going for. I could certainly see some others, including '93 borns, making progress in the time frame that's being discussed here. This all seems like a stretch to actually happen though, but I'd find it pretty interesting to see how such a tournament would go.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:45 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
I had meant to include Zucker as a possibility but forgot to put him on there. Blum is an '89 so he wouldn't be eligible by the criteria I was going with.

It's really just a roster as of today I was going for. I could certainly see some others, including '93 borns, making progress in the time frame that's being discussed here. This all seems like a stretch to actually happen though, but I'd find it pretty interesting to see how such a tournament would go.
You are correct, it is a big time stretch for an event like this to happen, but one I thought had some merit and worthy of a discussion.

What I think would be even better than anything the IIHF can come up with though, Hockey Canada and USA Hockey to organize a Junior Summit Series 7 games best 4 out of 7 Home and Away series. It doesn't have to be an annual event, but a semi-annual event. Those would be 7 games of high intensity, high tempo that the IIHF Christmas event can not deliver. I'd say the best junior hockey played today could be very well found in such a tournament. USA Hockey would have to scrap that summer 3 nations tournament though with the Swedes and the Finns. Tell me, does that any attention in the U.S.?

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Hockeysemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Don't forget Sergei Kalinin from Omsk, excellent player.
Yeah totally forgot him, he should definitely be on the team

Hockeysemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:13 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:

my bad on Blum...forgot he was an 89...

bigtime stretch, but something many of us have been talking about for years

Old
07-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
It's being floated as an idea in hockey circles as future Olympics may be a U23 tournament because all federations want an agreement on a revived world cup every four years without exceptions with open bidding for host cities. The NHL may hem and haw forever about Olympic participation, thus just like FIFA does for Football, make it an U23 tournament with a few veteran players and have a fixed date every 4 years for a World Cup (Senior Men's) If the NHL is all in on future olympics, and it looks as though a senior World Cup is not going to happen, then there's a possibility of an U23 World Cup.

The fact of the matter is, the IIHF wants with all their Federations agreements on fixed date tournaments beyond the Olympics and WC. i.e. World Cups.

So if this tournament gets green lighted and is on for Sept 2013. And will accept all players 23 years of age and younger, 1990 born. Team Canada would look like.

Evander Kane (91) Steven Stamkos (90) Jeff Skinner (92)

Taylor Hall (91) John Tavares (90) Jordan Eberle (91)

Adam Henrique (90) R Nugent-Hopkins (93) Tyler Seguin (92)

Brayden Scheen (91) Sean Couturier (92) Ryan O'Reilly (91)

13th. forward Matt Duchene (91)

Micheal Del-Zotto (90) Alex Pietrogangelo (90)

Tyler Myers (90) Travis Hamonic (90)

Ryan Murrary (93) Jared Cowen (91)

Dougie Hamilton (93) Eric Gudbranson (92)

goaltender

Matt Hacket (90)
Kevin Poulin (90)

goalies again Canada's weakest position, so far these two haven't earned #1 spots on NHL rosters, AHL goalies for now, but may develop into something...

but with that offense, Canada only needs their goalies to be steady, not great.

Interesting idea though.... would be interesting if it comes together.
It is sick the amount of talent we have. I would have had Despres somewhere on defense other then that it looks good.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:47 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
It is sick the amount of talent we have. I would have had Despres somewhere on defense other then that it looks good.
Yes, that does look like a pretty dangerous lineup...but again we are way behind in development of young goalies and HC is only now beginning to address this problem, it may get to a point of a ban of European goalies into the CHL. The import quota set by HC is up for review.

Old
07-27-2012, 03:49 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Yes, I forgot about him, I'd have no objection of dropping one of the 93s for Despres. I'm more of a Hamilton fan than a Murray fan... didn't quite get the hype or buzz about him.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:06 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Yes, that does look like a pretty dangerous lineup...but again we are way behind in development of young goalies and HC is only now beginning to address this problem, it may get to a point of a ban of European goalies into the CHL. The import quota set by HC is up for review.
seems like there are more American goalies in the CHL then European goalies...though I am just ASSuming here, but I seriously doubt they can have Euro or US players at forward and defense, but not allow them to come to the CHL for goalies....that would be horrendous and probably a court case...

Old
07-28-2012, 03:33 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
seems like there are more American goalies in the CHL then European goalies...though I am just ASSuming here, but I seriously doubt they can have Euro or US players at forward and defense, but not allow them to come to the CHL for goalies....that would be horrendous and probably a court case...
I don't think Americans are considered imports and I think restricting the CHL to only Canadians to exclude Americans would be a dumb move, but there's an import rule of 2 per team and that rule is up for review and it may be dropped to one per team. There comes a point when there's a problem, a solution has to be found, everybody can agree that the Finns, Americans and Swedes seem to have the edge in net right now.

Old
07-29-2012, 10:44 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
I don't think Americans are considered imports and I think restricting the CHL to only Canadians to exclude Americans would be a dumb move, but there's an import rule of 2 per team and that rule is up for review and it may be dropped to one per team. There comes a point when there's a problem, a solution has to be found, everybody can agree that the Finns, Americans and Swedes seem to have the edge in net right now.
there are plenty of Canadian kids that play goal in college....and I am a big fan of college goalies coming out to the pros...they normally stick for at least 3 years and come to the AHL/ECHL a bit more mature...but in any event, I dont think Canada should be too worried about their goaltending situation...things work in ups and downs, and you cant dominate at every position every year....give the rest of us a fighting chance eh??

Old
07-30-2012, 07:37 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
there are plenty of Canadian kids that play goal in college....and I am a big fan of college goalies coming out to the pros...they normally stick for at least 3 years and come to the AHL/ECHL a bit more mature...but in any event, I dont think Canada should be too worried about their goaltending situation...things work in ups and downs, and you cant dominate at every position every year....give the rest of us a fighting chance eh??
I don't agree with giving fighting chances. but I get ya dude, a lot of times these things are cyclical. It's funny, I argue all the time with an american co-worker, his thing is Quick is the best, no one better, Canada hasn't got a chance if Quick is in net in Sochi. My retort is always, "ya but wasn't Miller the best going in Vancouver."

Seriously though, we may not get away with it a second time. It's going to be a nail bitter.

Old
07-30-2012, 12:46 PM
weklof

My go at team Sweden:

Jacob Markström
Robin Lehner
Anders Nilsson

Erik Karlsson - Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Victor Hedman - Adam Larsson
Jonas Brodin - Tim Erixon
David Rundblad

Magnus Pääjärvi - Calle Järnkrok - Jacob Silfverberg
Gabriel Landeksog - Marcus Krüger - Jacob Josefson
Mattias Tedenby - Marcus Johansson - Mika Zibanejad
Max Friberg - Anton Lander - Carl Klingberg
Johan Larsson

Players in bold have average to very good chances of making the Olympic team. At the moment Karlsson is a lock and Ekman-Larsson, Hedman, Johansson, and Landeskog likely. Silfverberg, Brodin and Larsson have a chance if they continue to develop well. Pääjärvi might make it if he rebounds and Järnkrok has an outside chance.

weklof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weklof View Post
My go at team Sweden:

Jacob Markström
Robin Lehner
Anders Nilsson

Erik Karlsson - Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Victor Hedman - Adam Larsson
Jonas Brodin - Tim Erixon
David Rundblad

Magnus Pääjärvi - Calle Järnkrok - Jacob Silfverberg
Gabriel Landeksog - Marcus Krüger - Jacob Josefson
Mattias Tedenby - Marcus Johansson - Mika Zibanejad
Max Friberg - Anton Lander - Carl Klingberg
Johan Larsson

Players in bold have average to very good chances of making the Olympic team. At the moment Karlsson is a lock and Ekman-Larsson, Hedman, Johansson, and Landeskog likely. Silfverberg, Brodin and Larsson have a chance if they continue to develop well. Pääjärvi might make it if he rebounds and Järnkrok has an outside chance.
Originally that is what I was going for, excluding those who are apparent locks to be on the Olympic team, but it didn't seem to stick, everybody goes with their best in the particular age group. Sweden's team does look strong.

Old
07-30-2012, 01:58 PM
weklof

Quote:
Originally that is what I was going for, excluding those who are apparent locks to be on the Olympic team, but it didn't seem to stick, everybody goes with their best in the particular age group. Sweden's team does look strong.
I would say it is only Erik Karlsson of those born '90 and later that could be safely regarded as lock. However, I would say half of our D core will probably be born '90 and later.

Should our young D develop as expected the Olympic team has the potential to feature one of the best, if not the best Swedish D cores ever assembled.

Kronwall, Enström, Edler, Karlsson, Hedman, Ekman-Larsson, Larsson, Hjalmarsson, Ericsson, Tallinder, Grossmann, Brodin, Erixon, Rundblad, Ekholm, Lindholm...

weklof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weklof View Post
I would say it is only Erik Karlsson of those born '90 and later that could be safely regarded as lock. However, I would say half of our D core will probably be born '90 and later.

Should our young D develop as expected the Olympic team has the potential to feature one of the best, if not the best Swedish D cores ever assembled.

Kronwall, Enström, Edler, Karlsson, Hedman, Ekman-Larsson, Larsson, Hjalmarsson, Ericsson, Tallinder, Grossmann, Brodin, Erixon, Rundblad, Ekholm, Lindholm...
I wouldn't argue with you on those selections, some impressive young talent on D coming up the ranks. Do you think Karlsson can repeat another year like last year? Tough to do repeat those kinds of stats.