HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXII: Doan Go Breakin My Heart Edition

View Poll Results: So where do you think we go from here?
RayRay will sign a UFA quality wing in the preseason 4 2.67%
RayRay will sign a UFA grinder because that’s just how we roll 13 8.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a quality wing 19 12.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a grinder 2 1.33%
RayRay will give Adams a $11.5 million raise. 22 14.67%
RayRay will swing a trade deadline trade for a quality wing 62 41.33%
RayRay will buy himself $12 million of bling and rock this house 10 6.67%
Who gives a ****? Edward and Bella broke up, OMG 18 12.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Zbynek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
do the penguins intend to spend to the cap every season?

people around here talk about it let its a foregone conclusion that the penguins will be among the leading spenders in the league, but i wonder.

This is where our owner lives.

Why not.

Old
07-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
yeah..... no he won't.
yeah, I mean why would he?

Old
07-28-2012, 05:53 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

The guy who was caught out the night before a playoff game? Dude doesn't deserve to be on a team that takes winning seriously.

Old
07-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
The guy who was caught out the night before a playoff game? Dude doesn't deserve to be on a team that takes winning seriously.
What's even more sad is that he was the best forward for the Preds the next night

Old
07-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
But at the same time - we won't just spend to spend. We made that mistake with 3.5M on Satan.

I think we will be smart and make the right moves. I do have a weird feeling Iginla will be a Pens if Calgary falls apart. No basis behind it. Just a weird gut feeling.
I would have no problem adding Iggy, except if you listen to Calgary fans it is going to cost Morrow, Pouliot, Harrington, Bennet and the next four firsts. Maybe Letang too.

The long and short of it is that even if they are nuts in what they are saying the cost will be, he still likely will cost far more than I would feel comfortable paying. next year's first, fine. Any more except maybe a middling throw in? I do not want him. Yeah he can still play, but there is this misconception that we do not need this organizational depth, that we can just throw it away on trades like this. We are counting on that defensive depth to step up in coming years and play well for cheap keeping our cap situation managable. You can not have it both ways, count on that and trade all that depth away on a 35 year old wing.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
But at the same time - we won't just spend to spend. We made that mistake with 3.5M on Satan.

I think we will be smart and make the right moves. I do have a weird feeling Iginla will be a Pens if Calgary falls apart. No basis behind it. Just a weird gut feeling.
Me too. It's aided by the fact that Calgary has virtually nothing in their blueline prospect pool, and the Pens have multiple high-end defense prospects who the Calgary brass would be familiar with because of Baertschi playing for the Winterhawks.

Old
07-29-2012, 07:06 AM
WVP

Problem was there was only a couple of "good looking *****es" in a room full of drunk dudes. The rest were slam hams. I'm glad Shero has a little bit of standards,

Last edited by WVP: 07-29-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old
07-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I agree. Outside of Parise and Suter, nobody of this free agent class really appealed to me. They just didn't want to sign here for whatever reason. Shero tried. All he can do is put forth an offer he thinks is fair and wait for their decision.

Semin was intriguing, but far too enigmatic for Shero/this team to take a chance on at that kind of money. Shero's not a "deal for the sake of it" kind of guy. He'll hunker down, and do his homework all season looking for a trade that will make the team better. I think he's all but done with free agency as far as trying to acquire a big name, marquee player goes. If we're going to get a top-flight guy, it's either going to be through a trade of by drafting/developing him ourselves.

Old
07-29-2012, 09:29 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
I agree. Outside of Parise and Suter, nobody of this free agent class really appealed to me. They just didn't want to sign here for whatever reason. Shero tried. All he can do is put forth an offer he thinks is fair and wait for their decision.

Semin was intriguing, but far too enigmatic for Shero/this team to take a chance on at that kind of money. Shero's not a "deal for the sake of it" kind of guy. He'll hunker down, and do his homework all season looking for a trade that will make the team better. I think he's all but done with free agency as far as trying to acquire a big name, marquee player goes. If we're going to get a top-flight guy, it's either going to be through a trade of by drafting/developing him ourselves.
As of right now, next year's UFA group looks pretty decent, though that always changes as guys get re-signed during the year.

http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...1&fa_type_id=2

Old
07-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Give Corey Perry 9M for 7 years and be done with it! Also high on Edler and Smid.

Old
07-29-2012, 11:00 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
As of right now, next year's UFA group looks pretty decent, though that always changes as guys get re-signed during the year.

http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...1&fa_type_id=2
It looks very good right now but guys will get signed, even so I think it should be an above average year.

Old
07-29-2012, 11:09 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
It looks very good right now but guys will get signed, even so I think it should be an above average year.
Better than this crap for sure.

We know our forward situation pretty well but I think our defense could be the interesting situation next summer. Guys like Despres, Morrow, Dumoulin will push for ice time (not to mention Strait/Bortuzzo depending on what they do) plus Orpik and Martin are both look movable to say the least. Could have a really different looking defense next fall.

Old
07-29-2012, 11:45 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I would have no problem adding Iggy, except if you listen to Calgary fans it is going to cost Morrow, Pouliot, Harrington, Bennet and the next four firsts. Maybe Letang too.

The long and short of it is that even if they are nuts in what they are saying the cost will be, he still likely will cost far more than I would feel comfortable paying. next year's first, fine. Any more except maybe a middling throw in? I do not want him. Yeah he can still play, but there is this misconception that we do not need this organizational depth, that we can just throw it away on trades like this. We are counting on that defensive depth to step up in coming years and play well for cheap keeping our cap situation managable. You can not have it both ways, count on that and trade all that depth away on a 35 year old wing.
I think Iggy's a deadline deal, although I'd gladly take him now. IMHO, the price tag is TK, Bennett, a defensive prospect, and a 1st at a minimum.

Deal or no, sensible Flames fans know they're not getting Morrow or Despres for him.

Old
07-29-2012, 11:48 AM
KIRK

Quote:

It's a perfectly reasonable feeling. The Pens are good trade partners. The assets match up. Taking away what I wrote above (the idea of an earlier addition), I think Iginla costs TK, a good defensive prospect (I'm thinking Shero will want to give less, Feaster will want more, but they'll settle on Matta), and a 1st. And, I'm thinking Shero will have to add a young forward like Jeffrey or Tangradi. Figuring in the end he'll cost you a Hossa type of return.

Old
07-29-2012, 11:52 AM
mpp9

If Feaster would let Shero talk to Iggy's agent about an extension, I'd be down for moving Despres for him if that's what it took and we're at the deadline with a huge hole in the top 6. He'll be a 30 goal guy for a few more years. He's in insane shape and has a very well rounded skillset.

Old
07-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Von Malkin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Problem was there was only a couple of "good looking *****es" in a room full of drunk dudes. The rest were slam hams. I'm glad Shero has a little bit of standards,
Yea since Comrie, pesonen, Ruslan fedostinko, Miro Satan, Daryl sydor, and the countless others have been drop dead gorgeous. His past signings would indicate ray will put it in anything with a pulse.

Old
07-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Von Malkin*

Are we really banking on acquiring iginla? He's going to cost sooooo much. Feaster is too dumb to realize Calgary isn't a good team, unless they are 20 points out by the deadline, iginla won't be traded.

Pipedream.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:02 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
You'd be willing to trade a semi proven prospect for iginla? How generous!
Um, o'k . . .

Old
07-29-2012, 12:07 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
If Feaster would let Shero talk to Iggy's agent about an extension, I'd be down for moving Despres for him if that's what it took and we're at the deadline with a huge hole in the top 6. He'll be a 30 goal guy for a few more years. He's in insane shape and has a very well rounded skillset.
I don't think Despres would be moved at the deadline. BUT, if you're saying 'I'd give value' for a situation where I acquired/signed Iginla, then I'm thinking you're talking TK (to fill the hole), Bennett (top RW prospect), Matta, another D prospect like Grant or Samuellson, 1st.

THEN AGAIN, didn't Calgary like Pouliot a lot. I'd think they're going to be asking for him if we're talking a signed Iginla.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Are we really banking on acquiring iginla? He's going to cost sooooo much. Feaster is too dumb to realize Calgary isn't a good team, unless they are 20 points out by the deadline, iginla won't be traded.

Pipedream.
no, we are saying it'd be nice

Quote:
You'd be willing to trade a semi proven prospect for iginla? How generous!
that's a better package than we gave to get Hossa.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:15 PM
WVP

Quote:
Yea since Comrie, pesonen, Ruslan fedostinko, Miro Satan, Daryl sydor, and the countless others have been drop dead gorgeous. His past signings would indicate ray will put it in anything with a pulse.
All were one year, no-risk deals. Pretty silly post, dude.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
If you think Ruslan Fedotenko (the first year at least) and Darly Sydor (solid vet who turned into Boucher who was a solid vet) were bad acquisitions I have to really start questioning your judgement. Fedotenko was our 4th leading scorer on the road to winning the Cup and Sydor was a solid enough vet that became a number 7 d-man until we traded him. At the very worst he was kind of a "meh" pickup.

Old
07-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Karnage420

Quote:

No idea how people think Satan was a mistake.

his play in the playoffs was excellent. worth every penny after he was called back up.

I'd love if we had some veteran depth like that again, really dont care about the cost at this point. 8-10M in cap space is a lot to just let sit there.

Old
07-29-2012, 08:21 PM
clefty
What?

Satan was an extremely low risk venture, he came on a one year deal at a significantly reduced salary from his previous contract. What would you have preferred that offseason? The only other forward I recall being worthwhile was Ryder - and he was coming off an appalling season. That was a risky move for Boston that paid off.

And God damn, I would have LOVED to see this place's reaction if we hadn't signed any top six forward that offseason after losing Hossa, Malone and Roberts.

Old
07-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Satan was an extremely low risk venture, he came on a one year deal at a significantly reduced salary from his previous contract. What would you have preferred that offseason? The only other forward I recall being worthwhile was Ryder - and he was coming off an appalling season. That was a risky move for Boston that paid off.

And God damn, I would have LOVED to see this place's reaction if we hadn't signed any top six forward that offseason after losing Hossa, Malone and Roberts.
Big difference. we didn't have anyone as good as Kunitz or Neal going into the 2009 season. Sykora was the best wing on the roster. Without Feds and Satan, the next best would have been...Dupuis?

Closed Thread