HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Stan-ding Pat

Old
07-29-2012, 01:26 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
No, my problem with Bowman after this last "blow" is that I'm done with him. He's an imposter at this point. The time between now and his dismissal is purgatory, same as Emery. Two sad and hopeless people, both in vital positions for the franchise. Take a jab at me for it when they stop bottom feeding.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:31 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
No, my problem with Bowman after this last "blow" is that I'm done with him. He's an imposter at this point. The time between now and his dismissal is purgatory, same as Emery. Two sad and hopeless people, both in vital positions for the franchise. Take a jab at me for it when they stop bottom feeding.
Bowman will be around for, at a minimum, 2 more seasons - he'll be allowed to fire Q and pick a new coach before he himself gets turfed.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:36 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Bowman will be around for, at a minimum, 2 more seasons - he'll be allowed to fire Q and pick a new coach before he himself gets turfed.
What's the new coach have to do to vindicate Bowman? On the flip side, let's say we keep going out 1st or 2nd round and basically become the Sharks...how many times is that ok when the team is full of holes and Bowman is babbling his crap about it having absolutely nothing to do with his work? I couldn't really figure it out on my own because I'm already confused about what the hell is going on here and why the brass is tolerant of it.

Old
07-29-2012, 03:10 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
If Q needs to go, then Bowman should have sacked him. He has chosen to live and die with Q.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:49 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
If Q needs to go, then Bowman should have sacked him. He has chosen to live and die with Q.
So this. If Bowman doesn't think Q is the right man then fire him and hire someone else.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:50 AM
coldsteelonice84

What if we win the division then lose in the first round? Can't fire Q then. I think this was it for that idea. If you go into game 1 with Q, then everyone goes down with the ship if the team fails.

Old
07-29-2012, 09:11 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
What's the new coach have to do to vindicate Bowman? On the flip side, let's say we keep going out 1st or 2nd round and basically become the Sharks...how many times is that ok when the team is full of holes and Bowman is babbling his crap about it having absolutely nothing to do with his work? I couldn't really figure it out on my own because I'm already confused about what the hell is going on here and why the brass is tolerant of it.
The UC is full every game. There is your reason in a nutshell. Sad but true.

Seems that the marketing team is more important than the product on the ice.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:38 AM
coldsteelonice84

You're right but it's dumb thinking. Our fan base can, has and will pull out if the cap dollars aren't spent and we lose.

Old
07-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
The UC is full every game. There is your reason in a nutshell. Sad but true.

Yup, I thought that I read recently that hockey moves need to run through McD at some point. Just crazy, but UC is full, parking lots are full and the beer flows.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:57 AM
coldsteelonice84

It won't last. We are just not that fan base at all...the one that just keeps showing up no matter what.

Old
07-29-2012, 10:58 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
If it's a business, unless the owner's name is Pegula, marketing better be more important.

Fortunately for us, winning is the best marketing and they have acted like it despite the doom and gloom surrounding the team from so many fans.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:05 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Not gonna get into this debate, but anyone against adding Parise - one of the league's elite talents - at the cost of nothing... you're looking for something to gripe about.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:49 AM
EddieTheEagle

I haven't posted in a while but I figured I might as well.

Hawks fans need to stop being so short sighted. Our section of the board is just brutal lately. Everyone is b*tching, asking for Bowman and the coaching staff all to be canned.

Have we done well in the playoffs the last few years? No. Bowman was hand-cuffed in his first season as GM by the cap. Second season, he tried some moves (Brunette etc.) and they didn't pan out. Some of his moves have been good. If you don't think the Hawks have one of the best D around, you're crazy. Oduya isn't Campbell, we get that. The overall depth of D is better and we have prospects coming up. Things aren't so dark.

People that have been screaming bloody murder because we didn't make any moves this off-season (so far) are ridiculous. We took a run at Parise and maybe we didn't try as hard for Suter as we should have. It happens. But if you think going hard after other options like Doan at 4 years or overpaying for other guys, you're nuts. There is nothing available this off-season that wouldn't hurt our long-term outlook because of overpayment or too long of a term. We don't need Semin to make our top 6 even softer. Sure, I like that he signed a one year deal but we don't need him long term.

The Hawks have been drafting talent for a while now and we haven't really consistently been able to take a look at what we have in the cupboards and to see if they are suited for the NHL on a more permanent basis. Morin, Smith, Shaw (had far more NHL time), Hayes, Saad and even Beach are all guys that I'd rather see what they have in the NHL than give Andrew Brunette ice-time.

We need to take this year to count our chips, see what we have in some of these prospects and set ourselves up for a much brighter future. Free agency next year looks a hell of a lot better than this season. So, everyone should relax, take a breath and let's not go crazy wishing we'd overpay or over-extend every bum on the market that would only be a stop gap.

EddieTheEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:15 PM
MagicSlap*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieTheEagle View Post

Hawks fans need to stop being so short sighted. Our section of the board is just brutal lately. Everyone is b*tching, asking for Bowman and the coaching staff all to be canned.

Have we done well in the playoffs the last few years? No. Bowman was hand-cuffed in his first season as GM by the cap. Second season, he tried some moves (Brunette etc.) and they didn't pan out. Some of his moves have been good. If you don't think the Hawks have one of the best D around, you're crazy. Oduya isn't Campbell, we get that. The overall depth of D is better and we have prospects coming up. Things aren't so dark.

People that have been screaming bloody murder because we didn't make any moves this off-season (so far) are ridiculous. We took a run at Parise and maybe we didn't try as hard for Suter as we should have. It happens. But if you think going hard after other options like Doan at 4 years or overpaying for other guys, you're nuts. There is nothing available this off-season that wouldn't hurt our long-term outlook because of overpayment or too long of a term. We don't need Semin to make our top 6 even softer. Sure, I like that he signed a one year deal but we don't need him long term.

The Hawks have been drafting talent for a while now and we haven't really consistently been able to take a look at what we have in the cupboards and to see if they are suited for the NHL on a more permanent basis. Morin, Smith, Shaw (had far more NHL time), Hayes, Saad and even Beach are all guys that I'd rather see what they have in the NHL than give Andrew Brunette ice-time.

We need to take this year to count our chips, see what we have in some of these prospects and set ourselves up for a much brighter future. Free agency next year looks a hell of a lot better than this season. So, everyone should relax, take a breath and let's not go crazy wishing we'd overpay or over-extend every bum on the market that would only be a stop gap.
I don't think it's optimistic as you paint it but it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. I think people who are critical, which I can be, are worried not that the team sucks but that they will not take the next step and be a team that is truly a top Cup contender.

First though, coaching is a major problem. The special teams are atrocious and just look at the system that the coaches set up and it's easy to see why. The team D is very bad as well.

Second, the D depth is not better without Campbell. We have more depth guys but that doesn't make a unit good.

Keith-Seabrook
Campbell-Hammer
Leddy-Brookbank

is much better than...

Keith-Seabrook
Leddy-Hammer
Oduya-Brookbank
Montador

The first group is simply the best D in the league, the second is not.

Finally, I do agree this is and should be the year that a lot of the youngsters get in the lineup.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I'm glad Bowman knows we have good players on this roster, and hasn't taken the chicken little attitude of most of this board.
this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Q has won the Cup 2 years ago and made the POs twice after it with 97 & 101 points.
Q will have 1 more and 1 last chance

Quote:
What if we win the division then lose in the first round? Can't fire Q then. I think this was it for that idea. If you go into game 1 with Q, then everyone goes down with the ship if the team fails.
Can Fire Q without thinking about it or pissing some people of. Q needs to win and win in the POs. Another 1st round exit will be the end of Q
Quote:

QFT

black or white... no grey here. Sure, things could have been better but they could have been worse too. Stan is not the best GM in the NHL, he isn't the worst too. Hawks have a good team and need to find a way to win the games when it matters. The talent is good enough

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:

Wait several years to see if the middle of the road talent we have in a prospect pool (other then Saad and maybe TT) can all be better then they are likely to ever be and could someone fills the holes we have at premier positions. Meanwhile the careers of Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Keith and Seabrook are wasting away.

And our D is amazingly good, that's why the Hawks were 22nd in GA and 27th in PK, because our D talent is tops in the NHL.

Old
07-29-2012, 07:34 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:

What scares me is that Hawk management seems to take this same stance. If so we're doomed for years of mediocrity. It takes something special to win it all. Simply hoping does nothing... and that is exactly what Stan is doing.

Last edited by BobbyJet: 07-29-2012 at 08:20 PM.
BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Paul Allen

I think bowman will start making some larger, more noticeable moves this year and next free agency. This year will be the year that prospects will be given a shot and another year for them to grow. They can hopefully increase their value and be more useful in trades. Bowman will be able to know what's expendable especially if kane is 2c all year (goodbye Pirri). The hawks have a lot of prospects but most were really young the past couple years. I'm thinking there will be more deadline movement this year, like acquiring a more impactful ufa player for prospects. Then either resigning them or looking at the more bountiful FA market next summer.

Paul Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

if we just had a better goalie we'd be golden. Would have made quite a run if we had Mike Smith last season.

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judrix View Post
if we just had a better goalie we'd be golden. Would have made quite a run if we had Mike Smith last season.
wouldn't have mattered who we had in net last season.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judrix View Post
At least 75% of Mike Smith is the system he plays in.

He's better than Crawford, but Chicago's problems run far deeper than "their goalie sucks."

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:15 PM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Wait several years to see if the middle of the road talent we have in a prospect pool (other then Saad and maybe TT) can all be better then they are likely to ever be and could someone fills the holes we have at premier positions. Meanwhile the careers of Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Keith and Seabrook are wasting away.

And our D is amazingly good, that's why the Hawks were 22nd in GA and 27th in PK, because our D talent is tops in the NHL.
no where did he say the hawks should wait several years

the hawks do not have a middle of the road prospect pool. many teams would kill to have the hawks prospects

toews, kane, hossa, sharp, keith, and seabrook's careers are not wasting away.

no one knows what will happen this season. hopefully toews won't get injured, kane will put up more points, hossa won't get drilled in the playoffs, carcillo won't get a dumbass injury, crawford will bounce back, the PP and PK will get get their **** together, keith will play like a norris d-man again, leddy will continue to mature, the young players could step up big. even if just a few of these happen, the hawks are already in better shape than last year.

the hawks have one of the most talented teams in the leauge. they don't need all these big moves you and so many other people constantly complain and complain about. it's getting old man. they have everything they need to go deep in the playoffs. they just need to play their game,

if crawford blows again, if kane/sharp/prospect can't handle center, etc. then there's a problem. but everyone needs to be PATIENT and wait for the season to get underway.

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:42 PM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Yup, I thought that I read recently that hockey moves need to run through McD at some point. Just crazy, but UC is full, parking lots are full and the beer flows.
I can't tell which MCD people hate: The one that "forced" a splash or the one that is sitting back with nothing to splash.

Edit: And if anyone thinks that a Parise-like offer was not discussed at a higher level to the point of needing to sell mgmt on a huge investment is ignorant beyond belief

Last edited by LarmerSavardSecord: 07-30-2012 at 12:02 AM.
LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:47 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
no where did he say the hawks should wait several years

the hawks do not have a middle of the road prospect pool. many teams would kill to have the hawks prospects

toews, kane, hossa, sharp, keith, and seabrook's careers are not wasting away.

no one knows what will happen this season. hopefully toews won't get injured, kane will put up more points, hossa won't get drilled in the playoffs, carcillo won't get a dumbass injury, crawford will bounce back, the PP and PK will get get their **** together, keith will play like a norris d-man again, leddy will continue to mature, the young players could step up big. even if just a few of these happen, the hawks are already in better shape than last year.

the hawks have one of the most talented teams in the leauge. they don't need all these big moves you and so many other people constantly complain and complain about. it's getting old man. they have everything they need to go deep in the playoffs. they just need to play their game,

if crawford blows again, if kane/sharp/prospect can't handle center, etc. then there's a problem. but everyone needs to be PATIENT and wait for the season to get underway.
Were you watching the Kings thinking they were the Hawks?

No this team doesn't have everything they need for a deep play-off run.

When a team is bottom 20 in GA, PP, PK, and SV% where does this run come from?

No one is saying the Hawks are garbage but the fantasy by you and others that this team is good enough to win now and just needs a break to win it all is laughable.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:39 AM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

I guess bowman at this point feels its up to the core and to the young guns to step up this year, and then if he doesnt like what he sees then he makes some moves or at least I hope it is.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote