HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dion Phaneuf's next contract?

View Poll Results: Phaneuf's next contract
3 years @ 6.5M 54 42.86%
5 years @ 4.5M 45 35.71%
3 years @ 4M 7 5.56%
There will be no contract as he will not return tot he Leafs. 20 15.87%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-29-2012, 12:40 PM
  #126
clawfirst
Registered User
 
clawfirst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 935
vCash: 500
When did i say as good or better? Essentially. Google it.

clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:45 PM
  #127
13TML13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
I am expecting something like 33.5 mil over 5 years

13TML13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:46 PM
  #128
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 6,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
He plays against the best players night in and night out, plays both specail teams and was 10 in scoring for defenceman in the entire NHL, and 10th in ATOI for all defenceman in the NHL. And that still doesnt make him a #1 d?? Amazing how completely clueless so many seem to be.
If we look at his offensive numbers only he would be considered a number one D-man.....but there is two parts of the game.

If he wants to be considered a number one D-man then he should stop giving away the puck and battle hard when he does not have the puck....he most often looks lost......clueless are people who use part of the picture in their arguments to paint a picture that supports their claim.

He should not have been on our PK as he simply is not smart enough to play on the PK. His decision making is one of his major weaknesses as seen by his high giveaways and these individuals should not play on the PK. The PK stats bear this out....we were horrible!

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:56 PM
  #129
ALine
Registered User
 
ALine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
It is called team play.

How many teams had Phaneuf playing for them this year? Were the Leafs better defensively than all those teams? Did they all have a better defender than Phaneuf? How many teams were worse defensively than the Leafs?

I'll answer one question for you, with Phaneuf the Leafs were the 2nd. worst defensive team in the league.

Yes, it was all goaltending ... so that means Phaneuf didn't make the team a good defensive team.
Yeah, exactly. It is team play. the Leafs were a bad team, partly because we only really have 1 high quality defense-men.

Look at all the other top defense-men in the league. They all have insulation with other good d-men.

Weber had Suter, Blum
Edler had Bieksa, Hamhuis
Petriengelo had Shattenkirk, Jackman
Boyle has Murray, Burns
Doughty has Greene, Mitchell

Phaneuf's playing partners are no where near the level of the other top d-men in the league. It has been nice what Gunnarsson has been able to do but he isn't a top paring guy.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:58 PM
  #130
ALine
Registered User
 
ALine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
If we look at his offensive numbers only he would be considered a number one D-man.....but there is two parts of the game.

If he wants to be considered a number one D-man then he should stop giving away the puck and battle hard when he does not have the puck....he most often looks lost......clueless are people who use part of the picture in their arguments to paint a picture that supports their claim.

He should not have been on our PK as he simply is not smart enough to play on the PK. His decision making is one of his major weaknesses as seen by his high giveaways and these individuals should not play on the PK. The PK stats bear this out....we were horrible!
He plays the PK, the most PK minutes of anyone on the team, because he is the best option we have. Dion is a great defense-men, just gets no support! What would you rather the PK pairings be, if you don't want Phaneuf out there?

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:10 PM
  #131
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptSchenn View Post
Phaneuf can GTFO. We better not be paying him 6.5+. Sorry, but the people who praise him are laughable. He is always out of position, always pinches, always gets burned wide and contrary to popular belief, he is quite soft. Not to mention he is slow and cannot pivot quick enough. If the right deal is out there, we should not hesitate to move him. Just my opinion from what I see on the ice. Sure there are positives but the negatives are just too obvious. The fact is, since we got him, we have not improved and as the captain I have to question his leadership skills.
To be fair, the pinching was probably part of Wilson's system.

Did he pinch as much with Carlyle? I honestly can't remember.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:12 PM
  #132
clawfirst
Registered User
 
clawfirst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
He plays the PK, the most PK minutes of anyone on the team, because he is the best option we have. Dion is a great defense-men, just gets no support! What would you rather the PK pairings be, if you don't want Phaneuf out there?
He has the highest kill rate of any other defence-man on the team. In 205 minutes he has allowed 27 goals(as if it's all him lol). Gunner is a close 2nd in 200.5 munutes allowing the same(maybe they were partners,lol).

For comparisons sake Chara has 26ppg/a in 214.5 minutes on the PK.

Guy never checked any stats, has no idea what he is talking about or watching. But hey apparently I'm just trolling...

clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:15 PM
  #133
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawfirst View Post
He has the highest kill rate of any other defence-man on the team. In 205 minutes he has allowed 27 goals(as if it's all him lol). Gunner is a close 2nd in 200.5 munutes allowing the same(maybe they were partners,lol).

For comparisons sake Chara has 26ppg/a in 214.5 minutes on the PK.

Guy never checked any stats, has no idea what he is talking about or watching. But hey apparently I'm just trolling...
No one is saying Phaneuf isn't talented, you stated he would have gotten a bigger deal than Suter this summer if he was a UFA...that is an insane comment....that's all...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:20 PM
  #134
clawfirst
Registered User
 
clawfirst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
No one is saying Phaneuf isn't talented, you stated he would have gotten a bigger deal than Suter this summer if he was a UFA...that is an insane comment....that's all...
He would have. Suter doesn't have the same offensive abilities.Weber wasn't even used on the top PK in the regular season. Just watch next season when both Suter and Weber have to do it alone.

clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:22 PM
  #135
DaveT83*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
After Dion took a run at Brayden Schenn - while his older brother watched from bench - http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/vide...5&event=TOR483

then jumped Hartnell the following game after he scored a goal - I was officially done with this bum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooAmsbo_AiQ

The guys a complete joke. I could care less about his stats.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:23 PM
  #136
ALine
Registered User
 
ALine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
No one is saying Phaneuf isn't talented, you stated he would have gotten a bigger deal than Suter this summer if he was a UFA...that is an insane comment....that's all...
It looks like a lot in this thread or saying just that.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:29 PM
  #137
nuck
Axis of Evil
 
nuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: North Korea
Posts: 5,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawfirst View Post
He would have. Suter doesn't have the same offensive abilities.Weber wasn't even used on the top PK in the regular season. Just watch next season when both Suter and Weber have to do it alone.
Suter's point totals for the last 4 years are almost identical to Dion's. I am not sure you can point back to his early Calgary days as relevant anymore.
It will be interesting to see what Suter does on a club where there are no offensive D men good for more than 3 goals though.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:29 PM
  #138
mikeo1
Registered User
 
mikeo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
After Dion took a run at Brayden Schenn - while his older brother watched from bench - http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/vide...5&event=TOR483

then jumped Hartnell the following game after he scored a goal - I was officially done with this bum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooAmsbo_AiQ

The guys a complete joke. I could care less about his stats.
Two perfectly normal hockey fights made you give up on Dion Phaneuf?

Bwuh?

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:29 PM
  #139
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
He plays against the best players night in and night out, plays both specail teams and was 10 in scoring for defenceman in the entire NHL, and 10th in ATOI for all defenceman in the NHL. And that still doesnt make him a #1 d?? Amazing how completely clueless so many seem to be.
Dion is the best all around defenceman on a bad hockey team. That doesn't mean he is special. Of course he plays against the best...someone has to. Gawd help us if its Mike Komisarek. And by the way...so does Carl Gunnarsson alot of the time. Being 10th in scoring is nice but consider many high scoring D are actually mediocre playing D....Mike Green, Gonchar. Streit, Campbell come to mind. Dion was 12th btw. Ice time is a bone of contention with many Leaf fans as Dion is overused in many people's opinions. Dion is a #1 D.......on the Leafs. Much like Tyler Bozak is a #1C.....on the Leafs and at the moment Reimer is the #1G.........on the Leafs.

Perhaps having these players as the "Generals" in the most important positions of a hockey team can shed some light on why the Leafs are a 26th place team eh?

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:33 PM
  #140
clawfirst
Registered User
 
clawfirst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
Suter's point totals for the last 4 years are almost identical to Dion's. I am not sure you can point back to his early Calgary days as relevant anymore.
It will be interesting to see what Suter does on a club where there are no offensive D men good for more than 3 goals though.
His last 3 seasons goal totals. 4,4,7.

Weber was the offence, Suter just complimented him with sound simple hockey and dished him the puck.


Last edited by clawfirst: 07-29-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: clarity over possible slang usage.
clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:34 PM
  #141
clawfirst
Registered User
 
clawfirst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
Two perfectly normal hockey fights made you give up on Dion Phaneuf?

Bwuh?
He thinks Dion chased Luke out of town.

Luke just hasn't been good for 2/3rds of his NHL career.

clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:35 PM
  #142
T M L
Sense of Entitlement
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,040
vCash: 500
A few homer posts stating that Phaneuf is "better" Should get a bigger contract than Suter... more important that Karlsson is. COME ON! LOL!

Not even close. Phaneuf is not even close to those guys. I don't mind Phaneuf but lets not get carried away.

It would be better if he was not the Captain for that fact. Keep him here @ 4.5-5M tops.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:40 PM
  #143
T M L
Sense of Entitlement
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawfirst View Post
He thinks Dion chased Luke out of town.

Luke just hasn't been good for 2/3rds of his NHL career.
Maybe Dion did chase Luke out of town? I'm not saying he did but who knows with Dions track record. He is not well liked by other players as that has been documented.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:41 PM
  #144
ALine
Registered User
 
ALine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
A few homer posts stating that Phaneuf is "better" Should get a bigger contract than Suter... more important that Karlsson is. COME ON! LOL!

Not even close. Phaneuf is not even close to those guys. I don't mind Phaneuf but lets not get carried away.

It would be better if he was not that Captain for that fact. Keep him here @ 4.5-5M tops.
Whether you're a 'homer' or a 'hater', I think we can all agree that Dion getting less than 5.5 is laughable. Your completely oblivious to true contract values in the NHL.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:45 PM
  #145
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
A few homer posts stating that Phaneuf is "better" Should get a bigger contract than Suter... more important that Karlsson is. COME ON! LOL!

Not even close. Phaneuf is not even close to those guys. I don't mind Phaneuf but lets not get carried away.

It would be better if he was not the Captain for that fact. Keep him here @ 4.5-5M tops.
Insult other people and then write something as stupid as that. Well done.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:52 PM
  #146
T M L
Sense of Entitlement
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
Whether you're a 'homer' or a 'hater', I think we can all agree that Dion getting less than 5.5 is laughable. Your completely oblivious to true contract values in the NHL.
I'm neither of the above you stated. I live in the real world, unlike a few here.

Phaneuf is not a good Captain and should not make more than 5M.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:55 PM
  #147
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Strange then that the hockey n00bs that put together the best hockey team in the world two years ago didn't even take Phaneuf over Dan Boyle, let alone Weber.

Since then Phaneuf's stock has fallen even further.
Dion's stock was pretty high to Hitchcock and Sutter the past 2 WHC when the Leafs were eliminated.

Dion has played well since returning from the badly cut calve he suffered 1.5 seasons ago.

It's not easy when your next best D man on the team was a rookie named Jake Gardiner, and needing to fight the Steve Downey's of the world when you try to play a physical game while carrying the captaincy on and off the ice is a challenge for most.

Not making excuses for him since I am not dissapointed in Dion at all, he just needs more help in all areas. Colton Orr would be a veteran presence in the locker room and would free Dion from the rats that want to come after him for legal hits he adminsisters. Infact you would see a more surly Dion if he had some physical backing from his teammates.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:58 PM
  #148
ALine
Registered User
 
ALine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
I'm neither of the above you stated. I live in the real world, unlike a few here.

Phaneuf is not a good Captain and should not make more than 5M.
I never called anybody anything. I was merely referring to the two opposite polar opposite opinions found in this thread. Should have said "whether one" not "whether you're". Sorry about that.
But you have the inability to leave the insults out of your posts...

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:17 PM
  #149
T M L
Sense of Entitlement
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
I never called anybody anything. I was merely referring to the two opposite polar opposite opinions found in this thread. Should have said "whether one" not "whether you're". Sorry about that.
But you have the inability to leave the insults out of your posts...
I am not insulting you. I think you have some relevant points that I agree with. On the other hand I strongly disagree with you view on Phaneuf's next contract. IMO you are overrating him.

Like I have said, 5M/year and I'm good anything more is not granted. He is not a 7M/year guy. Like it or not I know the Leafs are desperate at this point but that does not warrant crazy contracts.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:26 PM
  #150
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada/Africa
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
front loaded 6 year, 6 million a copy, limited no trade. It will get done at the soonest allowable juncture. You take care of your leaders, if you expect them to be leaders.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.