HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Dion Phaneuf's next contract?

View Poll Results: Phaneuf's next contract
3 years @ 6.5M 54 42.86%
5 years @ 4.5M 45 35.71%
3 years @ 4M 7 5.56%
There will be no contract as he will not return tot he Leafs. 20 15.87%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-29-2012, 02:54 PM
diceman934

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post

And I guess no Buffalo teammates likes Miller either.
Miller addressed this in the Media as well as with his team.....not sure how his teams mates feel about him.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:56 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
I was talking to a bunch of people in the know at this golf tournament, and yada yada yada, proof so and so is a terrible person. See, anyone can say it, doesn't make it true.

Yep....anyone could.....but it is also in print.....so now what?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...eing-a-captain

"On Friday, Randy Carlyle was asked what Phaneuf can learn from this disastrous season. Carlyle, who has been on the bench for just four victories in his 14 games since he replaced Wilson, offered up a short treatise on the perils of selfishness.

“You’re not going to give yourself a chance if you go out and play a team game as an individual,” Carlyle said. "

The above statement is telling and the reason why I feel that there will be changes in the way the team is ran!

Last edited by diceman934: 07-29-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old
07-29-2012, 03:06 PM
My Sweet Shadow

So I guess this is now a debate about Phaneuf's captaincy instead of his predicted salary?

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:14 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
So I guess this is now a debate about Phaneuf's captaincy instead of his predicted salary?
I hope he gets 12 million a year to play for the Rangers.....or anywhere other then the Leafs.

Old
07-29-2012, 03:15 PM
BrannigansLaw

Hopefully his next contract from us will be an offer of $0 for a period of 0 years.

Phaneuf sucks.

BrannigansLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:07 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I would argue Gardiner was, or atleast he was in the conversation as the 2nd best D man on the Leafs last year. He played a regular shift, most in the 2nd pairing and he logged 1st PP time.

Gunnar was mostly paired with Dion, and he is a steady D man. I lobbyed for him last year when everyone wanted to throw him into deals as if he were just a condiment you toss into a sandwich, I am well aware of his worth. He would be best served as a 3rd pairing guy, who gives you safe minutes.

Liles is not as good as most people think, he's ok, like Grabo he will be expendable when some of our good young prospects start to reveal themselves. But watching him this season, I can see why Liles was let go by Colorado. Infact I think a second rd pick was too steep to give up for a player like him. Small undersized defender that may or may not fit into Carlyle's system.

The reality of it all is Dion is miles ahead of anything we have on the NHL roster, or until Rielly, Finn, Percy arrive. Or Gardiner continues to progress and not plateau.
We are all entitled to our opinions, the main reason for this board, but my differs than yours on this matter. Surprise ... I usually don't care the nationality of a player just what they do on the ice.

IMO Phaneuf is a good defenseman, but the Wild Thing was much smarter.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:21 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Says who?
Says anybody who knows anything. Nobody cares about the world cup of hockey. It's a third rate tournament that a lot of good players aren't even interested in if they don't make the playoffs.

Then again, you did just finish saying that you think Gunnarsson would be best used as a third pairing defenseman. 'Nuff said.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:23 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Says anybody who knows anything. Nobody cares about the world cup of hockey. It's a third rate tournament that a lot of good players aren't even interested in if they don't make the playoffs.

Then again, you did just finish saying that you think Gunnarsson would be best used as a third pairing defenseman. 'Nuff said.
Tell that to Europeans.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:54 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Tell that to Europeans.
Lol...okay? That's delightfully nonsensical. I pointed out that Phaneuf was passed over for the olympic team -- you know, a team that really matters -- despite how awesome a lot of people are trying to make him out to be. So one of those people pointed out that he must have been pretty impressive to be chosen for the WC team.

So sure, maybe I'll go find some Europeans and tell them this fascinating tale. Though they won't likely have any clue what I'm talking about, because most Europeans couldn't possibly care or know less about hockey.

What does that have to do with Phaneuf's worth as a defenseman, again?

Old
07-29-2012, 05:01 PM
ALine

Quote:
Lol...okay? That's delightfully nonsensical. I pointed out that Phaneuf was passed over for the olympic team -- you know, a team that really matters -- despite how awesome a lot of people are trying to make him out to be. So one of those people pointed out that he must have been pretty impressive to be chosen for the WC team.

So sure, maybe I'll go find some Europeans and tell them this fascinating tale. Though they won't likely have any clue what I'm talking about, because most Europeans couldn't possibly care or know less about hockey.

What does that have to do with Phaneuf's worth as a defenseman, again?
Whats nonsensical is you. The WHC is huge all across Europe! Your were trying to completely dismiss it as a nothing tournament. Open your eyes to the world. You might be surprised to learn that hockey fans exist outside of NA.

Old
07-29-2012, 05:09 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Whats nonsensical is you. The WHC is huge all across Europe! Your were trying to completely dismiss it as a nothing tournament. Open your eyes to the world. You might be surprised to learn that hockey fans exist outside of NA.
You're talking to someone who lived and married in Europe. The WHC is not huge all across Europe, and being asked to play in it is not even in the same ballpark as being selected for the olympic team. Which was, you know, my entire point.

Anything else?

Old
07-29-2012, 05:11 PM
ALine

Quote:
You're talking to someone who lived and married in Europe. The WHC is not huge all across Europe, and being asked to play in it is not even in the same ballpark as being selected for the olympic team. Which was, you know, my entire point.

Anything else?
No, the fact that WHC is not a nothing tournament, and should not be dismissed as such, will be all.

Old
07-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

7 years, 6 M per.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:15 PM
bunjay

Quote:
No, the fact that WHC is not a nothing tournament, and should not be dismissed as such, will be all.
Luke Schenn is on the WC team, too. Luke Schenn: third pairing d-man on a real hockey team.

GTF outta here with your condescending smart ass act.

"Open your eyes to the world..."

Old
07-29-2012, 05:17 PM
ALine

Quote:
Luke Schenn is on the WC team, too. Luke Schenn: third pairing d-man on a real hockey team.

GTF outta here with your condescending smart ass act.

"Open your eyes to the world..."

just a fan of the tourney is all. and I know many people also are. If your trying to dismiss it as nothing, I'm trying to defend it as a good, fun tournament.

Old
07-29-2012, 05:20 PM
bunjay

Quote:
just a fan of the tourney is all. and I know many people also are. If your trying to dismiss it as nothing, I'm trying to defend it as a good, fun tournament.
You like to watch it, that's great. Surely you know better than to use the roster for that tournament as a measuring stick the way we do with the olympic roster.

Old
07-29-2012, 05:26 PM
ALine

Quote:
You like to watch it, that's great. Surely you know better than to use the roster for that tournament as a measuring stick the way we do with the olympic roster.
Indeed, A WHC roster does not equal an olympic roster. Never said it did.

All I was ever referencing was this line here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay
Nobody cares about the world cup of hockey.

Old
07-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Interactif

Quote:

The Spengler Cup is a 3rd rate tournamnet, further what proof do you have that the WHC is 3rd rate tournament as you claim it is.

Your opinion? Well that is already suspect reading your analysis.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:53 PM
JackJ

If he improves defensively over the next few years (7yrs/42mil - 6.0mil AAV). If not, deal him at the 2014 deadline to the highest bidder. Phaneuf's offence is already replaceable, his toughness could easily be replaced.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Interactif

The sooner Gunnarson becomes a 3rd pairing defenceman, the sooner this team will be better.

Saying Gunnarson is the 2nd best or a 1st pairing D man on our team last year is sort of like being the best at Old Navy when you want to be be Abercrombie and Fitch.

Old
07-29-2012, 06:00 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
The Spengler Cup is a 3rd rate tournamnet, further what proof do you have that the WHC is 3rd rate tournament as you claim it is.

Your opinion? Well that is already suspect reading your analysis.
Where would you rate WC?

1. Stanley Cup is the biggest prize
2. Olympic Gold would be 2nd.
3. WC would be at best 3rd.
4. When there is a Canada Cup or various versions of same.
5. Spengler follows those for North Americans, but European Championships probably would comes before Spengler for non Americans. Calder Cup probably has more value than a Spengler.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 06:08 PM
ALine

Quote:
The sooner Gunnarson becomes a 3rd pairing defenceman, the sooner this team will be better.

Saying Gunnarson is the 2nd best or a 1st pairing D man on our team last year is sort of like being the best at Old Navy when you want to be be Abercrombie and Fitch.
To add, think of the recent Stanley Cup winning team, the Los Angeles Kings. Could anyone picture Gunnarsson on the top line, in the Stanley cup finals, playing the most minutes, against the other hottest team in the league, spcifically against their top, world-class players? I certainly couldn't. But, I could picture him as a responsible, minute eating defense-men. A Matt Greene type. Doesn't do anything exceptional well, but can do everything pretty well. We should hold on to Gunnarsson, but by no means should he be on the top pairing with Phaneuf as a long term fixture.

Old
07-29-2012, 06:16 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Where would you rate WC?

5. Spengler follows those for North Americans, but European Championships probably would comes before Spengler for non Americans. Calder Cup probably has more value than a Spengler.
I wouldn't classify a professional sport league the same as a best-on-best international tournament.

Would the recent LA Kings hypothetically be able to beat the 2010 Canadian Olympic team? (if only we could clone doughty and Richards)
I really don't think so, myself.

Old
07-29-2012, 07:05 PM
diceman934

Quote:
I wouldn't classify a professional sport league the same as a best-on-best international tournament.

Would the recent LA Kings hypothetically be able to beat the 2010 Canadian Olympic team? (if only we could clone doughty and Richards)
I really don't think so, myself.
The Stanley Cup is the biggest and most Coveted prize in hockey, for some nations it maybe the Olympics. North Americans it is the Cup!

What does the Kings have to do with the Canadian Olympic team? .....nothing!

Old
07-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Where would you rate WC?

I think we both know THE World Championships is not a 3rd rate tournament. The Europeans hold this tourament higher than the canada cup at one point in time. My bone of contention is the poster tried to make it sound like Dion was playing against Spengler Cup competition when in indeed all of 4 teams in the NHL are still playing when this tournament wraps up. The talent level at this tournament is very high, that is the distinction here. Sure the Stanley Cup and 2nd the Olympics are the highest motivators, which I tried to convey to another poster here that intimated Nash's contribution didn't count because it was only the Olympics, silly. Whether it is the WHC, The Canada Cup, Olympics, or The Stanley Cup. All of these tourney's count in a player's resume IMO.