HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rick Nash Tribute Thread

Old
07-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

vCash: 500
I feel nothing but admiration for Nash. He is a great guy, humble and willing to serve the community. He was also the best player for the Jackets. Clearly. No contest.

I remember when I first began going to games and matching names with numbers, I asked my kids over and over "who is number 61? He's so much better than everyone else."

My favorite memories are many. I always anticipated what I might see him do on ice at any game. I guess when he went into beast-rage mode and tried to carry the team on his back were great, but also the puck handling prowess was awe inspiring. And no one does the turn your back and muscle it in like Nasher!

Off the ice, at community or charity events, I was taken by how good and genuine he is. He never tried to steal the limelight, but he was clearly the star, a role he seemed uncomfortable in. In the end, he was a great embassador for the CBJ and did more for NHL in Cbus than anyone other than Mr Mac.

Best wishes to him, I will follow his career!

Last edited by Derby: 07-29-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Good luck to Nash in NY. He gave us many highlight reel goals, and was a very charitable person off the ice. Glad I got to watch him play here in Columbus.

I will be watching him in NY on the Eastern Conference Network 10 or 12 times a season!

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

my most memorable RN61 moment will be the playoff clinching goal against Chicago...I wish him well...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Stretch Factor

I was thrilled when we drafted Nash. I remember feeling like, OK now we've arrived as a real team. The wins are about to follow.

I was there for his first goal at training camp. I was there for his first goal at Nationwide. In those days, I was going to 30 games per year and watching at least 75 CBJ games in their entirety on TV or live. I have never been a bigger fan of any sport at any time in my life. Of course being single and in my 20s, I had the time.

I will never forget the Chicago goal, the Phoenix goal, the first all star appearance, the Olympics, etc. But most important, I will never forget his humble attitude and mid western persona. He was perfect for our city and our franchise. I will also never forget his appreciation of Mr. Mac. You never had to worry about being embarrassed about our star player. He was one of us and he was perfect. You always knew he'd do the right thing.

Something odd happened along the way. I'm not sure if making him captain changed it or if the big contract changed it, but something changed. We weren't getting better and he didn't seem to care. I'm not sure if he actually floated during games, but it seemed like it sometimes because we never saw his fire. We never heard anyone talk about how Rick Nash busted his butt in practice. All we heard about were "maintenance days".

My fire for the CBJ seemed to disappear with Nash's. Last season I went to 2 games and watched parts of maybe 10 games on TV, none in their entirety. I was very close to just giving up all together as a fan. But, Nash did the right thing, he asked for a trade. I'm glad he did, because ownership never would have had the guts to do it without Nash making the first move. Regardless of return, it was the right thing to do. We both needed a fresh start. I hope this turns out to be one of those divorces where we can still be friends.

Now we have a fresh start and I am invigorated as a fan, I suspect Nash is too. I love the foundation we are building. Granted, we're still a few pieces away, but we are headed in the right direction. I wish Nash all the best, but I can't wait for this season as a CBJ fan.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
I was thrilled when we drafted Nash. I remember feeling like, OK now we've arrived as a real team. The wins are about to follow.

I was there for his first goal at training camp. I was there for his first goal at Nationwide. In those days, I was going to 30 games per year and watching at least 75 CBJ games in their entirety on TV or live. I have never been a bigger fan of any sport at any time in my life. Of course being single and in my 20s, I had the time.

I will never forget the Chicago goal, the Phoenix goal, the first all star appearance, the Olympics, etc. But most important, I will never forget his humble attitude and mid western persona. He was perfect for our city and our franchise. I will also never forget his appreciation of Mr. Mac. You never had to worry about being embarrassed about our star player. He was one of us and he was perfect. You always knew he'd do the right thing.

Something odd happened along the way. I'm not sure if making him captain changed it or if the big contract changed it, but something changed. We weren't getting better and he didn't seem to care. I'm not sure if he actually floated during games, but it seemed like it sometimes because we never saw his fire. We never heard anyone talk about how Rick Nash busted his butt in practice. All we heard about were "maintenance days".

My fire for the CBJ seemed to disappear with Nash's. Last season I went to 2 games and watched parts of maybe 10 games on TV, none in their entirety. I was very close to just giving up all together as a fan. But, Nash did the right thing, he asked for a trade. I'm glad he did, because ownership never would have had the guts to do it without Nash making the first move. Regardless of return, it was the right thing to do. We both needed a fresh start. I hope this turns out to be one of those divorces where we can still be friends.

Now we have a fresh start and I am invigorated as a fan, I suspect Nash is too. I love the foundation we are building. Granted, we're still a few pieces away, but we are headed in the right direction. I wish Nash all the best, but I can't wait for this season as a CBJ fan.
Hopefully watching Jack Johnson, Brandon Dubinsky, Derek Dorsett, Vinny Prospal, and James Wisniewski out there on the ice busting their a**es every night will be enough to continue that re-invigoration with a bunch of fans.

I can deal with losing as long as we are trying to win and working hard. The wins will come if that happens.

I've always been dis-heartened by the fact that we had a team that was trying not to lose instead of trying to win. I believe those guys will help change that mindset.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Cyclones Rock

I'll remember him for his terrific talents. He has tremendous physical gifts and I witnessed numerous highlight reel plays from him.

He never seemed to relish his "leadership" role in Columbus. I think it wore on him and inhibited his effectiveness. Good management would have recognized this years ago and removed the trappings of leadership (the "C") from him gracefully. A "revolving" Captaincy with a Nash phase out could have accomplished this quite easily.

He never did have a center which allowed him to reach his potential in Columbus. In fact, other than one season (Vermette's 65 point season a few years back), Nash never really had a second line quality center for most of his career here.

Even with his deficiencies and the organization's mistakes during the nine Nash years, Rick Nash was the sole component of this sorry organization which separated the Blue Jackets from being as bad every year as the Washington Capitals were in their first few years.

http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/washing...tals-8871.html

The relationship had run its course. I hope that Brad Richards will be the tonic which allows Nash to fulfill his prodigious scoring potential. He never had that chance with the worst franchise in the NHL.

I wish him nothing but the best in Manhattan.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:10 PM
BluejacketNut

Constant losing will break anyone

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:40 PM
bizzz*

When he scored in his last game I though that would be a nice one to be the last goal as a Jacket. Streit was pushing him away off the net and ended up on the ice himself wile Nash didn't even notice his efforts.
I remember the day he was drafted. He scored a goal in his first preseason game as well as in his first NHL game. Mike Sillinger is known for his extended traveling around the NHL, but I'll remember him as the first Nash's center.
I think everyone got tired of losing. The team and Nash had to move in different directions.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post

He never did have a center which allowed him to reach his potential in Columbus. In fact, other than one season (Vermette's 65 point season a few years back), Nash never really had a second line quality center for most of his career here.
I have nothing personal for Rick Nash and what he has done for Columbus except maybe this.

The difference to me between a "good" player and a "great" player is the ability to make everyone around him better.

Yes, we did need more talent on this team but no matter who we put next to him, they always struggled to a certain degree. Maybe it relates back to the comments I've read of him trying to do too much himself and having "a lot of junior" still in his game but Rick Nash was never able to bring the level up for anyone that played next to him.

Simply by that fact, he makes a good 2nd tier player but not a great 1st tier player. As sad as it is, I don't believe we could ever develop a homegrown 1st tier player as long as he was still here.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:49 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
I have nothing personal for Rick Nash and what he has done for Columbus except maybe this.

The difference to me between a "good" player and a "great" player is the ability to make everyone around him better.

Yes, we did need more talent on this team but no matter who we put next to him, they always struggled to a certain degree. Maybe it relates back to the comments I've read of him trying to do too much himself and having "a lot of junior" still in his game but Rick Nash was never able to bring the level up for anyone that played next to him.

Simply by that fact, he makes a good 2nd tier player but not a great 1st tier player. As sad as it is, I don't believe we could ever develop a homegrown 1st tier player as long as he was still here.
That always seems to be accepted wisdom, but several guys (for example Manny, Vermette, Jake, Brass, to name a few) have had their best years next to Nash.

I'll miss him and wish him well, always, even vs the CBJ. I won't mind a hatty every time, as long as we put up one more!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:20 PM
EspenK

I'll always remember the Phoenix goal and the "between the legs" goal. When he wanted to be, he was a highlight film in action. Wish there had been more but I think the whole shebang just wore him down.

Having grown up in NJ and rooting for the hapless Rangers of yesteryear(s) I'll be rooting for him to help the Rangers win the Cup.
At least until the new breed jackets are in position to challenge for it.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 06:23 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

I'll never forget the times at Nationwide when Rick was streaking with the puck with a clear path to the net. That got everyone in the arena's attention. I compare the feeling to reaching the crest of that first hill on a roller coaster... excitement... anticipation.

Breakaways happen but everyone seemed to react differently when it was on 61's stick.

That's what sticks out the most to me anyway. I hope he does great in New York

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

So, it is safe to assume that most CBJ fans aren't angry and bitter towards the Nash trade?

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:07 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
So, it is safe to assume that most CBJ fans aren't angry and bitter towards the Nash trade?
Depends what you mean, are we bitter and angry at Nash? Majority says no. Bitter and angry about how it got to this? Hell yes.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Speedy Sanderson

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...-thoughts.html

A lot to digest here - makes me depressed.

Speedy Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
In six years, Nash's current contract ends.

I want to be competitive by then, so that we can bring him back for One Last Hurrah.

That shouldn't be too impossible of a request.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:50 PM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=azvIIQG3Ovw

pretty crazy video to watch now...

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:58 PM
BluejacketNut

Wow, Howson actually comments after signing Nash they got Russell signed, like he had signed someone big. Exhibit A on why Nash wanted out of here

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:14 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Sanderson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:22 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

The Nash thing both saddens and infuriates me. It's too soon for me to really consider a reasonable thought, but here's a string.

I'm angry it got to this point. With Howson, with Nash, with the entire org.

I'm sad that the one guy I always felt wanted to be here doesn't want to be here anymore.

I'm angry when I read and hear comments about being in a "real" hockey market.

I'm sad that I don't have a great argument against it.

I'm angry that another player would skate to our captain and say "you gotta get out of here, call your agent and put him to work"

I'm sad and angry our captain followed his advice.

All that business aside since this is a tribute thread, my favorite Nash memories are the New Year's Eve hat trick, the PHX goal and pretty much every game I saw him in before 2009-10. he was clearly the best player on the team and often the best on the ice. It was a privilege to watch.

I wish Rick well, but I hope it's some time before he tastes success. I like Torts and most of the Rangers, but the last thing I want to see is something easy happen for Rick. If it's all the same to Ranger fans, I'd like to see him win a cup in 2013-14 or later if it happens at all.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:05 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

A nicely done piece - seems fair and heartfelt, to me.

I only hold one thing against Nash, the inclusion of Detroit as a possible trade destination.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
The Nash thing both saddens and infuriates me. It's too soon for me to really consider a reasonable thought, but here's a string.

I'm angry it got to this point. With Howson, with Nash, with the entire org.

I'm sad that the one guy I always felt wanted to be here doesn't want to be here anymore.

I'm angry when I read and hear comments about being in a "real" hockey market.

I'm sad that I don't have a great argument against it.

I'm angry that another player would skate to our captain and say "you gotta get out of here, call your agent and put him to work"

I'm sad and angry our captain followed his advice.

All that business aside since this is a tribute thread, my favorite Nash memories are the New Year's Eve hat trick, the PHX goal and pretty much every game I saw him in before 2009-10. he was clearly the best player on the team and often the best on the ice. It was a privilege to watch.

I wish Rick well, but I hope it's some time before he tastes success. I like Torts and most of the Rangers, but the last thing I want to see is something easy happen for Rick. If it's all the same to Ranger fans, I'd like to see him win a cup in 2013-14 or later if it happens at all.
There's a part of me that would love for Nash to win a Cup... at age 35, with us.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:

Not a bad article, until Portzline decided he wanted to throw out some DMC about halfway down.

Unfortunately, it ended up being a passive-aggressive pile of biased ****.

And yes EDM, I could do a far better job than Portzline.

07-29-2012, 11:43 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Not a bad article, until Portzline decided he wanted to throw out some DMC about halfway down.

Unfortunately, it ended up being a total pile of biased ****.

And yes EDM, I could do a far better job than Portzline.
I like Porty most of the time, but I think he needs to step down. I was reading some of his stuff from like 2007-2010. It's gold. The man has become so damn jaded, he has almost entirely stopped reporting.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:41 AM
Anisimovs AK

here is a nice career highlight (from first goal to PHX)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY7ULz7Ebt0

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote