HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll: Doan Vs. Semin

View Poll Results: Doan or Semin
Doan 132 58.41%
Semin 62 27.43%
Neither of Them 32 14.16%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-29-2012, 05:39 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Wow. I'm rarely speechless but...
The reason he wears the number 68 is due to the Prague Spring, during which is father passed away.

It might be the most meaningful number in the NHL, and yes that's a neat distinction.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I am encouraged that Bergevin is being patient but who knew Semin could be had for a only a one year committment . If its doan vs Semin it's doan if it's one year of Semin versus 4 years of doan then it's Semin.

Now the choices are 4 years of doan vs doing nothing to which I say Bergevin should do nothing

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 06:26 PM
S Bah

Doan is the only other player that fits the mold of the new Habs team and he fits like a hockey glove.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 07:37 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Doan is the only other player that fits the mold of the new Habs team and he fits like a hockey glove.
Yeah, an old and worn hockey glove. That smells, probably.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Takashi

When will we sign Doan?

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
How is he a character player?
How do you score 1653pts in 1346gp and 189pts in 180 PO games without being a character player?

He's not the physical forechecker, but that doesn't mean he's not a character player.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Wassup

I don't think it would really be worthwhile to sign Doan. I think Montreal should keep up with getting younger and I don't think it would be reasonable to spend lot of money on a 37 year old who is clearly just seen as a possible short-term option.

Wassup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:41 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The reason he wears the number 68 is due to the Prague Spring, during which is father passed away.

It might be the most meaningful number in the NHL, and yes that's a neat distinction.
... That's kindof impossible, considering Jagr is born somewhere in the '70ies.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:17 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
... That's kindof impossible, considering Jagr is born somewhere in the '70ies.
You're right, it was his grandfather who died in the Prague Spring, my mistake.

Either way, he may still hold the neat distinction of having the most significant jersey number in the NHL.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
How do you score 1653pts in 1346gp and 189pts in 180 PO games without being a character player?

He's not the physical forechecker, but that doesn't mean he's not a character player.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I recall a few instances (which I've shared on this board before) that prove that he's not a character player, that he's extremely self-serving and selfish, but I know that I'll be in minority and we won't come to an agreement on the topic. For that reason, instead of derailing the thread, I'll leave it as that.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree. I recall a few instances (which I've shared on this board before) that prove that he's not a character player, that he's extremely self-serving and selfish, but I know that I'll be in minority and we won't come to an agreement on the topic. For that reason, instead of derailing the thread, I'll leave it as that.
Well, "a few instances" aside, there's well over a decade of him wearing an "A" or "C" on his chest as part of the leadership group of several professional hockey teams that suggests you're in the "minority" for a reason.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, "a few instances" aside, there's well over a decade of him wearing an "A" or "C" on his chest as part of the leadership group of several professional hockey teams that suggests you're in the "minority" for a reason.
Wearing the A and the C are not necessarily a sign or a definition of character. Sometimes, they are political reasons to give those letters to certain players... But hey, you believe what you want.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Wearing the A and the C are not necessarily a sign or a definition of character. Sometimes, they are political reasons to give those letters to certain players... But hey, you believe what you want.
Well, you can believe that 3 different NHL teams "got it wrong" for a time period that exceeded a decade, and contend that the Czech national team continues to "get it wrong" after 15 years as one of their captains, if you like...

The only time I can ever recall his character being "called into question" was in Washington (where they still had him wear the "A" for almost 2 seasons, btw), and that seemed to be a very specific issue between a few specific people. Neither before, nor after, was anything negative ever mentioned about the person, professional, and personality that Jagr was/is. Has always been known for his work ethic, and has always played at the highest of levels.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Rosso Scuderia

"Can he fight" is now replaced by "Is he a character player?" in this board.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:37 PM
coolasprICE

Simply inject Semin into Doan

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, you can believe that 3 different NHL teams "got it wrong" for a time period that exceeded a decade, and contend that the Czech national team continues to "get it wrong" after 15 years as one of their captains, if you like...

The only time I can ever recall his character being "called into question" was in Washington (where they still had him wear the "A" for almost 2 seasons, btw), and that seemed to be a very specific issue between a few specific people. Neither before, nor after, was anything negative ever mentioned about the person, professional, and personality that Jagr was/is. Has always been known for his work ethic, and has always played at the highest of levels.
I didn't say that they "got it wrong". And your last statement... it depends who you talk to.

But again, I have my opinion, you have yours. Life is good.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:50 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I didn't say that they "got it wrong". And your last statement... it depends who you talk to.

But again, I have my opinion, you have yours. Life is good.
I think it's more of a matter of who you're more willing to listen to than just who you talk to, but hey. I let his track record and the opinions of his teammates speak for themselves, so I'd be curious to know whose adverse opinion of Jagr you hold so dear.

Old
07-31-2012, 07:17 AM
baldrick

I voted neither based on the reported contract Doan is asking. We don't need another Gomez contract no matter how much character Doan has.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Jsweenie

I wouldn't mind paying doan big dollars, but wouldn't want a term any longer than two years. The stage has more or less been set this offseason for talent to get ridiculous contract lengths, and while that may just be the nature of the business, now is not a good time to make long term investments. In two years we should have a good idea where guys like pacioretty, dd, subban and leblanc are going to fit in long term, and the ones in the fold will likely have contracts that will keep them around a while. Also management will have a stronger understanding of where the ceilings are for galenychuk, gallagher, tinordi, beleau?, and others.

We aren't a contender next year, but I do think we could surprise some people, and we shouldn't throw money into positions when we aren't sure what the greatest need will be when we are in position to be a contender. Doan will likely stay in phoenix, and if he doesn't, I hope to hell we don't wind up spending 7.5 on him for the next four years

Jsweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:01 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
I voted neither based on the reported contract Doan is asking. We don't need another Gomez contract no matter how much character Doan has.
I agree.

Habs don't have the $$$ (cap space) to pay Doan anyway.

I'd rather have a veteran player (like Lang in the past) who can play ONE good season at 2 or 3 million max. Thre is not many of that type anymore.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote