HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's the maximum $ that you're willing to sign Doan ?

View Poll Results: What's the MAXIMUM $ that you're willing to sign Doan ?
$7.5M 13 7.10%
$7M 9 4.92%
$6.5M 18 9.84%
$6M 64 34.97%
No 79 43.17%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Prairie Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Well for one year I would go as far as 7,5 millions. The time frame should be said.
But then we would have to send Gomez down.

Who would people complain about then?

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:19 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
But then we would have to send Gomez down.

Who would people complain about then?
Doan.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:31 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I picked no because I would not offer more then $5.5M per season.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Well if we really want him then the Habs would have to pay him that much(7.5), it's the only way they would have that chance.

The Habs ALWAYS have to overpay.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:51 PM
SnapVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I picked no because I would not offer more then $5.5M per season.
Even that it depends on the term.

Shane Doan will be god awful in 3 seasons. And fourth one, he'll probably play on the 4th line. I guess his production will be around : 55pts, 45pts, 35pts, 30pts.

Yes he is a good player, for a team that wants the Cup now. Cauze in 4 years, hell just be a pain in the ass.

I'd rather give that money to Semin. At least hes not 36 years old. And if he can turn it around and play with more consistency he could be a 30-30 guys for more than a maximum of 2 seasons.

-----
Heres the max i'd give :

Shane Doan :

1 season : 7M$/yo = 7M$ 1st year
2 seasons : 6M$/yo = 7M$ 1st year - 5M$ 2nd year
3 seasons : 5,25M$/yo = 7M$ 1st year - 5M$ 2nd year - 3.75M$ 3rd year
4 seasons : 4.7M$/yo = 7M$ 1st year - 5M$ 2nd year - 3.75M$ 3rd year - 3M$ 4th year

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I'm not denying that he could have an effect not too far off from Robert Lang's half-season. That is, completely revitalize the system by bringing an element that was sorely lacking for so long (Powerful winger) but we already got that in Eric Cole and Max Pacioretty's development AND Rene Bourque's potential.

We need skill and finesse and that's either going to come by trade (Bobby Ryan, Patrick Marleau or whoever else is on the table) or by developing some of our younger players who've shown glimpses of their ability (Leblanc, Gallagher, and so on).

Doan's a good player but the absolute best reasonable expectations we could have would be 50 to 70 points (like Cole) but he's even older and scores less than Cole. 50-70 points is great, but not at more than 6m.
Doan is completly different from Max and Cole, he plays with an edge, he's a complete warrior in the style of Gary Roberts.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Doan is completly different from Max and Cole, he plays with an edge, he's a complete warrior in the style of Gary Roberts.
Doan is a guy you will like in the regular season, but you'll love him in the playoffs.

Cole and Doan both play with an edge IMO. Doan is stronger and can handle himself in scrums, but Cole has far superior speed. Both guys take the puck to the net hard... its just that they get there in different ways. Max Pac has shown some glimpses of edge as well, but not as consistently in his young career.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:17 PM
clownquestionbro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Years ago, when the canadian dollar got you 62-63 US cents alot of canadian teams were in trouble. The Habs wernt in big trouble but the Molson company had basically a self imposed cap at around $ 40M because at that point they were losing a few million. This put us in the middle of NHL pack in terms of payroll, but far from the $ 65-75M the Flyers, Blues, Leafs, Rangers, etc were spending. I believe the NHL had some kind of very limited help for canadian clubs.
NHL didn't do crap for the habs during this era...and we shouldn't do anything for these pathetic markets that don't even deserve a hockey team.

clownquestionbro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Dekar

Have there been any updates at all about Doan in the past couple of days, outside of the PIT offer? What about his trip here?

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Paul Dipietro

Considering that the guy that nobody wanted got 1yr/7M, the offers for Doan will start at 7.5M

But the question is not "How much do you think it will take to bring Doan to Mtl", but rather "What's the maximum amount you're willing to give him".

Like others have suggested, I'd front-load a 4-yr deal. Something along the lines of

7.5 - 7.5 - 4 - 1 (for a cap hit of 5M)

Anything more makes absolutely no sense given his age

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
Considering that the guy that nobody wanted got 1yr/7M, the offers for Doan will start at 7.5M

But the question is not "How much do you think it will take to bring Doan to Mtl", but rather "What's the maximum amount you're willing to give him".

Like others have suggested, I'd front-load a 4-yr deal. Something along the lines of

7.5 - 7.5 - 4 - 1 (for a cap hit of 5M)

Anything more makes absolutely no sense given his age
Just because Semin got 1 year/$7m doesn't mean Doan will get more than that. Short-term contracts pay out more money because of the uncertainty of your future. I'm sure Semin would've accepted less if he was offered more years.

Doan also is a 35+ player, meaning his cap hit will stay on the books no matter what (unless he suffers a long-term injury). I'd be against handing Doan a 4 year deal.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Just because Semin got 1 year/$7m doesn't mean Doan will get more than that. Short-term contracts pay out more money because of the uncertainty of your future. I'm sure Semin would've accepted less if he was offered more years.

Doan also is a 35+ player, meaning his cap hit will stay on the books no matter what (unless he suffers a long-term injury). I'd be against handing Doan a 4 year deal.
I don't think it's that at all. Based on his last 3 deals (6 - 6.7 - 7) he strikes me as a max payout guy, regardless of length. If teams are unwilling to give him the amount he wants over a longer number of years, he'll settle for these short-term deals until a larger one comes from the KHL

As for Doan, you're right. But only under the assumption that he will "expire" (career-ending injury or retirement) in 2 years. If he keeps playing until the end of his contract (and is remotely successful), the cap hit becomes easier to swallow

But again, if you think he won't make it past 2 years, you can't sign him for more than that. And not at 7.5 per

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:51 AM
SeriousHabs

1 year: $7.5M
2 years: $7M
3 years: $5.5M
4 years: $3.5M
5 years: NOPE

Gomez send down to make cap space, naturally.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

5.5 - 6

Will depend on Subban's contract.

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:17 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I'd go as far as a cap hit of 5M$ for 3 years. 6,5 M$/1st year, 5,5 M$ /2nd year, 3 M$ 3rd year. Only way you'd have him in Montreal. I know, I'm overpaying him....it's UFA time.

We might not be 1 Doan away....but you start with Doan, on top of what you have, and you can make some adjustments along the way. He will help you in any way you want. Even at that age. Maybe less in the 3rd year, who cares....it only exist to get him. We are a much better team with him. Might not be 1 Doan away, but you get him....and you make other players better....
well said. I personally wouldn't sign him, but I'll admit that if the idea is to get one more good mentor for the young players on the team, its not a bad idea to sign him, not at all. But its the idea that a '' 7m doan for 5 years can really help us '' that im against. He expects the big bucks and imho, he does not deserve a raise, and I dont like the way he plays around to bring his price up. Those are the reasons why I hope MB doesn't sign him ; the contract will be awfull. Too many teams will offer him the moon (which he doesn't deserve) and to bring him here we'd have to give not only the terms, but the years ... imho. Pretty sure he'd go down 1m or 2m per to get a couple more years. He can give support, but he can't carry ... he's a pass for me. but If he signs a 1 or a 2 year deal, its a totally different story.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 07-30-2012 at 12:23 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:18 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Ideally, 3 yrs 4.75m.

It would take more than that, thus why I don't want him.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote