HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #6 TIE-BREAKER

View Poll Results: Who is our #6 prospect?
D Brady Skjei 47 40.87%
RW Jesper Fast 68 59.13%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
You used stats to project Skjei's chances of being an NHLer. All I said was that he will very likely be an NHLer, how effective of one is unclear. Miller could make the team as early as Game 1 of this season, but I doubt he's risen in too many rankings because it remains to be seen if he will be a top 6 player.

I remember our 1996 first rounder Jeff Brown being touted the same way, and he failed to even cme close making the NHL. That is more common than people realize for late picks.

Skjei haas a 50-50 shot of making the NHL, and if he makes it is 50-50 to be top-4 as opposed to the bottom pairing.

I like the pick, but lets be realistic about it until he shows further progress. There is a reason 27 teams passed on him, and he hasn't played one second since then to prove those GMs wrong.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:01 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I remember our 1996 first rounder Jeff Brown being touted the same way, and he failed to even cme close making the NHL. That is more common than people realize for late picks.

Skjei haas a 50-50 shot of making the NHL, and if he makes it is 50-50 to be top-4 as opposed to the bottom pairing.

I like the pick, but lets be realistic about it until he shows further progress. There is a reason 27 teams passed on him, and he hasn't played one second since then to prove those GMs wrong.
Skjei has a 90% chance of being an NHL regular--again it is the size/skating combination along with the attention to detail that comes with basing his game to the position he plays. His skating is at the very least top 3 in his draft class. He does not play an exciting type of game--so it's easy to say there's nothing special. The question eventually will be is he top 4 material or a 5-6. We have the same questions still with McIlrath. Just on pure hockey skills and smarts Skjei is better than McIlrath at the time we drafted him. He doesn't have Dylan's physical game. Keep in mind that Brady is going to an excellent college program and that Rangers develop their players well.

Kreider was always disappointing posters here too. 'His numbers suck!' The size/skating combination means you have a guy who can play if he continues progressing. There's no reason to believe he won't. Like Kreider (on his draft day) he already has elements of his game that are NHL worthy.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:48 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
You have to figure a young star in a top pro league like the SEL beats out a late first rounder who hasn't even played in college yet.

A late first has only about a 30-35% chance of cracking the NHL even as a bottom-feeder. Fast has a better shot of making it, as well as a better shot of being an impact player.
Went with Skjei on what seems to be greater talent = higher potential value at this point.

However, no question, even if Skjei gets close to pulling a Kreider or a Hagelin, Fast has developed both as quickly and as well as could be hoped for, and will be here possibly as early as next year.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:52 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Skjei has a 90% chance of being an NHL regular--again it is the size/skating combination along with the attention to detail that comes with basing his game to the position he plays. His skating is at the very least top 3 in his draft class. He does not play an exciting type of game--so it's easy to say there's nothing special. The question eventually will be is he top 4 material or a 5-6. We have the same questions still with McIlrath. Just on pure hockey skills and smarts Skjei is better than McIlrath at the time we drafted him. He doesn't have Dylan's physical game. Keep in mind that Brady is going to an excellent college program and that Rangers develop their players well.

Kreider was always disappointing posters here too. 'His numbers suck!' The size/skating combination means you have a guy who can play if he continues progressing. There's no reason to believe he won't. Like Kreider (on his draft day) he already has elements of his game that are NHL worthy.
Well said.
We took a chance on McIlrath, drafting him to be another Scott Stevens, and it remains to be seen if he can fit that profile fully enough. But if he does, he was probably worth the pick, not withstanding one or two exceptions (I think the one we all ***** about is Giroux, if I'm remembering the years right.)

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:53 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Well said.
We took a chance on McIlrath, drafting him to be another Scott Stevens, and it remains to be seen if he can fit that profile fully enough. But if he does, he was probably worth the pick, not withstanding one or two exceptions (I think the one we all ***** about is Giroux, if I'm remembering the years right.)
You're confusing the McIlrath pick with Sanguinetti. Dylan was selected over Fowler and Tarasenko. Time will tell.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Zil

Quote:

You're just pulling numbers out of your ass. You have no clue what Skjei's actual chances are. It's laughable that you talk down Skjei for being the 28th pick in the draft and then talk up St. Croix who was a fourth ****ing rounder.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:14 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
The lack of love for St. Croix is really disturbing. He's the best player on the best team in the best junior league in the world. NewOil, who watches all his games, says that he's a terrific prospect and very likely will be in the NHL as a top-6 forward.
Really? Because all I heard was disappoint in the later stages of his playoff run. He played along the perimeter and refused to get involved physically, go into the dirty areas. For a guy his size, he wont be making it to the NHL playing like that.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Jesper Fast.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote