HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs helping canes in the offseason

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-24-2006, 01:40 PM
  #26
caniacgirl12
Registered User
 
caniacgirl12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,695
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Why is Carolina able to afford the Weights and Recchis but the Habs cant add more high priced help?
Because they were (and still are) well under the cap before the addition of those players.

__________________
....and nothing dims these stars.
caniacgirl12 is offline  
Old
04-24-2006, 01:41 PM
  #27
Habsaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Gillett entertainment is making a ton of dough, a guy with no money like Gillett wouldnt be here after 5 years if he wasnt. I heard on TSN that we we're in the top 6(and only) profitable teams. And now I hear we are top 3 in revenue.

Habsaku is offline  
Old
04-24-2006, 01:44 PM
  #28
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,350
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Gillett entertainment is making a ton of dough, a guy with no money like Gillett wouldnt be here after 5 years if he wasnt. I heard on TSN that we we're in the top 6(and only) profitable teams. And now I hear we are top 3 in revenue.
It dosent matter how much money you make , if it cost you more to get it you still in trouble . It's like the pizza guy that delivers with his own car and dont get any tips , what's the point ? He dosent make any money . The NHL dosent care we have to pay 8M in tax every year , they dont care the state dosen't help us with the arena . They just look at the books and see we made more money then 28 others teams in the league .

Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
04-24-2006, 01:50 PM
  #29
Habsaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
It dosent matter how much money you make , if it cost you more to get it you still in trouble . It's like the pizza guy that delivers with his own car and dont get any tips , what's the point ? He dosent make any money . The NHL dosent care we have to pay 8M in tax every year , they dont care the state dosen't help us with the arena . They just look at the books and see we made more money then 28 others teams in the league .
I dont think you grasp the concept of being PROFITABLE

Habsaku is offline  
Old
04-24-2006, 01:55 PM
  #30
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,350
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
I dont think you grasp the concept of being PROFITABLE
Why invest hundreds of millions to make only 2-3M at the end of the year *if* the team make it far in the playoffs ? Even if you love hockey youre not gonna stand there and lose 5+ Millions every year and ties up your fortune in this . The revenue sharing systhem dosent help us it just maker the situation more difficult . But hey it helps the Panthers and the Hurricanes..

Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
04-24-2006, 02:06 PM
  #31
Cariboux
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rimouski
Posts: 773
vCash: 500
I have a lot of difficulty to think that the Habs looses money. Come one, they are 3rd in revenue and others teams are doing profits... There is something wrong I'm sure.

Cariboux is offline  
Old
04-24-2006, 02:11 PM
  #32
Habsaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Why invest hundreds of millions to make only 2-3M at the end of the year *if* the team make it far in the playoffs ? Even if you love hockey youre not gonna stand there and lose 5+ Millions every year and ties up your fortune in this . The revenue sharing systhem dosent help us it just maker the situation more difficult . But hey it helps the Panthers and the Hurricanes..
Should we go back to the Baseball style system where hockey growth is nearly impossible? With the way revenues are made now and with the strong possibility of more playoff teams, you allow actual interest and possibilities to be made in southern markets. How does it help hockey that the habs get 20 million in profit while the Canes and the Cats are in the red? How does it help hockey that those teams wouldnt be able to resign Luongo, Jokinen, Bouwmeester, Staal, Cole and such? Now, we can actually see real parity and team building being paid off. Sure there will be player mouvement and some teams will be pissed that they arent making as much money, but please, the Habs we're top 6 in profits. they are top 3 in revenue, they pay as much Tax as the Maple Leafs, they have the highest ticket and merchandise sells in the league. They have an awesome TV deal, do you honestly think they lose money because of the 8mill tax? Dont be foolish.

Habsaku is offline  
Old
04-24-2006, 02:20 PM
  #33
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,350
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Should we go back to the Baseball style system where hockey growth is nearly impossible? With the way revenues are made now and with the strong possibility of more playoff teams, you allow actual interest and possibilities to be made in southern markets. How does it help hockey that the habs get 20 million in profit while the Canes and the Cats are in the red? How does it help hockey that those teams wouldnt be able to resign Luongo, Jokinen, Bouwmeester, Staal, Cole and such? Now, we can actually see real parity and team building being paid off. Sure there will be player mouvement and some teams will be pissed that they arent making as much money, but please, the Habs we're top 6 in profits. they are top 3 in revenue, they pay as much Tax as the Maple Leafs, they have the highest ticket and merchandise sells in the league. They have an awesome TV deal, do you honestly think they lose money because of the 8mill tax? Dont be foolish.
Quote:
«Ce que nous avons gagné du côté des salaires aux joueurs, nous l'avons perdu du côté du partage des revenus, a-t-il assuré lors d'un entretien avec La Presse, pendant l'entraînement matinal du Canadien, samedi. Nous avons besoin d'aller plus loin que la première ronde pour espérer commencer à faire des profits

Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
04-24-2006, 02:23 PM
  #34
Habsaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Yeah, listen to Gillett, the guy is the source on this, he would never lie . Every other source then the Habs organization says they are in good shape, who should we believe? The business thats trying to maximize profits? No thanks, theres a reason the tax stays high, the city looked at the numbers and didnt see reason to give them a break. Businesses have a way of playing with numbers, either by making the enterprise more profitable or in the red.

Habsaku is offline  
Old
04-24-2006, 04:11 PM
  #35
Stefan
Registered User
 
Stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa - HabsTown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Stefan
To the guy who said Montreal tickets are not pricey... they're well above the league average. The best seats are around $240, a far cry from the $120 you (ignorantly) threw out there.

And someone mentioned the Habs grossed the third most money in the league behind Toronto and Detroit, is there a source for this? I'd love to see the full list.

Stefan is offline  
Old
04-24-2006, 04:23 PM
  #36
CoupeStanley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nicolet
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,532
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
LOL,
Don't worry for Georges.

NHL team are real estate business.

He's making so much money with the Bell Centre and all his real estate around the Bell Centre, he could could triple the payroll and still smile.

CoupeStanley is offline  
Old
04-24-2006, 04:35 PM
  #37
CoupeStanley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nicolet
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,532
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Yeah, listen to Gillett, the guy is the source on this, he would never lie . Every other source then the Habs organization says they are in good shape, who should we believe? The business thats trying to maximize profits? No thanks, theres a reason the tax stays high, the city looked at the numbers and didnt see reason to give them a break. Businesses have a way of playing with numbers, either by making the enterprise more profitable or in the red.
Exactly. That's called creative book-keeping.

You rent concession stand right to a number company for a said number. That company makes 20x that amounts.

What do you think show in the Habs book?
Who do you think pockets the cash ?

They're looking for tax break.

CoupeStanley is offline  
Old
04-24-2006, 04:44 PM
  #38
Stefan
Registered User
 
Stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa - HabsTown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
Exactly. That's called creative book-keeping.

You rent concession stand right to a number company for a said number. That company makes 20x that amounts.

What do you think show in the Habs book?
Who do you think pockets the cash ?

They're looking for tax break.
Bingo! What has he won Johnny?!

Bang on, sir.

Stefan is offline  
Old
04-24-2006, 05:32 PM
  #39
Dobermann
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Why is Carolina able to afford the Weights and Recchis but the Habs cant add more high priced help?
The Staals, Coles, Williams, etc. on the team are young and cheap (well, at least they were cheap before this off-season).

Dobermann is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.