HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXII: Doan Go Breakin My Heart Edition

View Poll Results: So where do you think we go from here?
RayRay will sign a UFA quality wing in the preseason 4 2.67%
RayRay will sign a UFA grinder because that’s just how we roll 13 8.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a quality wing 19 12.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a grinder 2 1.33%
RayRay will give Adams a $11.5 million raise. 22 14.67%
RayRay will swing a trade deadline trade for a quality wing 62 41.33%
RayRay will buy himself $12 million of bling and rock this house 10 6.67%
Who gives a ****? Edward and Bella broke up, OMG 18 12.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-29-2012, 07:31 PM
  #76
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,270
vCash: 500
What are you talking about? I wasn't comparing anything.

clefty is offline  
Old
07-29-2012, 07:33 PM
  #77
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 33,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
What are you talking about? I wasn't comparing anything.
heh thought you were comparing to the reaction to this off-season. my bad

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
07-29-2012, 10:49 PM
  #78
Von Malkin*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage420 View Post
No idea how people think Satan was a mistake.

his play in the playoffs was excellent. worth every penny after he was called back up.

I'd love if we had some veteran depth like that again, really dont care about the cost at this point. 8-10M in cap space is a lot to just let sit there.
I respectfully disagree. Satan was scratched for 7 games. He only played because Sykora was horrible. Satan was so excellent that he couldn't get a team to sign him until the following January for $700,000. Satan played really well for the bruins during their cup run, but he wasn't good for the pens in the playoffs. He couldn't even find an NHL job last season and only signed with the bruins because he's boys with chara.

Von Malkin* is offline  
Old
07-29-2012, 10:54 PM
  #79
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 33,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
I respectfully disagree. Satan was scratched for 7 games. He only played because Sykora was horrible. Satan was so excellent that he couldn't get a team to sign him until the following January for $700,000. Satan played really well for the bruins during their cup run, but he wasn't good for the pens in the playoffs. He couldn't even find an NHL job last season and only signed with the bruins because he's boys with chara.
he had a good game or two against Carolina but for the most part I have to agree. Still, it was a very low risk signing.

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
07-30-2012, 02:48 AM
  #80
sf expat71
Registered User
 
sf expat71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pacific Ocean
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
Yea since Comrie, pesonen, Ruslan fedostinko, Miro Satan, Daryl sydor, and the countless others have been drop dead gorgeous. His past signings would indicate ray will put it in anything with a pulse.
Well, if Shero receives complaints from you when he doesn't sign anyone, and you also chastise his actions when he signs the aforementioned players, how can he win in your mind? Does he have to relocate Parise's entire family to Pittsburgh and hope that gets him to sign? Switch the team to the Western Conference to get Suter to sign? Seriously, I'm not sure what your expectations are for the GM of your favorite team, but I'm guessing they are basically unattainable...

sf expat71 is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 08:18 AM
  #81
Von Malkin*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf expat71 View Post
Well, if Shero receives complaints from you when he doesn't sign anyone, and you also chastise his actions when he signs the aforementioned players, how can he win in your mind? Does he have to relocate Parise's entire family to Pittsburgh and hope that gets him to sign? Switch the team to the Western Conference to get Suter to sign? Seriously, I'm not sure what your expectations are for the GM of your favorite team, but I'm guessing they are basically unattainable...
I don't want to get banned over so I will just respond by saying that almost every single one of shero's in my opinion have been a disappointment. I realize that they have not always had so much cap room, so he couldn't sign any big name free agents

Von Malkin* is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 08:22 AM
  #82
Von Malkin*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
But, he hasn't been able to find one respectable forward. It just seems like we are in the same situation with wingers as we were 4 years ago. He's drafted Bennett who is still 2 years away. So in my opinion, he hasnt done much to help a weak spot besides acquiring Neal. We don't have any NHL ready defenseman like whitney or gogo to trade for a winger.

Von Malkin* is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 08:54 AM
  #83
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded
 
Coach John McGuirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
But, he hasn't been able to find one respectable forward. It just seems like we are in the same situation with wingers as we were 4 years ago. He's drafted Bennett who is still 2 years away. So in my opinion, he hasnt done much to help a weak spot besides acquiring Neal. We don't have any NHL ready defenseman like whitney or gogo to trade for a winger.
He hasn't acquired one respectable forward, except for Kunitz, Neal, and Hossa (who he tried to re-sign).

Coach John McGuirk is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 09:03 AM
  #84
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 33,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
But, he hasn't been able to find one respectable forward. It just seems like we are in the same situation with wingers as we were 4 years ago. He's drafted Bennett who is still 2 years away. So in my opinion, he hasnt done much to help a weak spot besides acquiring Neal. We don't have any NHL ready defenseman like whitney or gogo to trade for a winger.
Recchi, Sykora, Fedotenko as free agents. Hossa, Kunitz, Guerin and Neal through trades. Not to mention the bottom 6 guys.

And I'm sorry, but Feds was absolutely a respectable forward. He was our 4th leading scorer in the Cup run. He is a good player. He's not a great player by any means and he's taken a step back since 2009 but he was a good pick-up for us the first time around and a very easily explained re-sign the second time around with his playoff performance considered.


Last edited by Ogrezilla: 07-30-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
07-30-2012, 09:06 AM
  #85
Von Malkin*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Recchi, Sykora, Fedotenko as free agents. Kunitz, Guerin and Neal through trades. Not to mention the bottom 6 guys.

And I'm sorry, but Feds was absolutely a respectable forward. He was our 4th leading scorer in the Cup run. He is a good player. He's not a great player by any means and he's taken a step back since 2009 but he was a good pick-up for us the first time around and a very easily explained re-sign the second time around with his playoff performance considered.
I dont know if I was clear, but I meant he hasnt brought in many high impact free agents. Shero has a VERY impressive trading ability, cannot deny that. But his free agent signings, particularly forwards, almost never have a big impact on the team. I just feel they have all been big disappointments. That's all. He hasnt been able to find a real difference maker, just a buch of guys to fill the gap for a year. But the problem is we dont have a bunch of prospects who are the verge of becoming a top 6 winger, so the stop gap fillers get old after 4 years. That's all...

Von Malkin* is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 09:11 AM
  #86
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma
 
Beauner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
I dont know if I was clear, but I meant he hasnt brought in many high impact free agents. Shero has a VERY impressive trading ability, cannot deny that. But his free agent signings, particularly forwards, almost never have a big impact on the team. I just feel they have all been big disappointments. That's all. He hasnt been able to find a real difference maker, just a buch of guys to fill the gap for a year. But the problem is we dont have a bunch of prospects who are the verge of becoming a top 6 winger, so the stop gap fillers get old after 4 years. That's all...
He usually COULDN'T bring in high impact forwards because we were already at the cap. And those kinds of players cost some dough.

Beauner is online now  
Old
07-30-2012, 09:13 AM
  #87
The Power Glove
It's so bad.
 
The Power Glove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 259
vCash: 500
I think Shero waits on what Doan does and if Doan doesn't sign with the Pens then you will see Shero finally do something.

The Power Glove is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 09:14 AM
  #88
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
I dont know if I was clear, but I meant he hasnt brought in many high impact free agents. Shero has a VERY impressive trading ability, cannot deny that. But his free agent signings, particularly forwards, almost never have a big impact on the team. I just feel they have all been big disappointments. That's all. He hasnt been able to find a real difference maker, just a buch of guys to fill the gap for a year. But the problem is we dont have a bunch of prospects who are the verge of becoming a top 6 winger, so the stop gap fillers get old after 4 years. That's all...
I understand your point of view and frustration, but it's really not that simple. You can't have a dream team in a cap world. This is the first real off season in quite some time where we have ample cap space to spend. There was really only one winger worth that cap space and we missed out.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 09:17 AM
  #89
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel Teager View Post
I think Shero waits on what Doan does and if Doan doesn't sign with the Pens then you will see Shero finally do something.
Doubtful. There's not much to do unless we do a trade for a Seto or Stewart. We aren't in on the Ryan game IMO. I'd say at this point we are going to go with what we have and make a mid season trade.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 09:19 AM
  #90
The Power Glove
It's so bad.
 
The Power Glove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Doubtful. There's not much to do unless we do a trade for a Seto or Stewart. We aren't in on the Ryan game IMO. I'd say at this point we are going to go with what we have and make a mid season trade.
Seto is the only one of the two that would interest me and even that would depend on the asking price. I'm putting hope into Fehr getting signed.

The Power Glove is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 09:21 AM
  #91
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel Teager View Post
I think Shero waits on what Doan does and if Doan doesn't sign with the Pens then you will see Shero finally do something.
If Doan doesn't sign here, I have a feeling Shero is going to wait until the start of the season and see if anything happens with the next CBA

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 09:46 AM
  #92
Von Malkin*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
Setoguchi makes me extremely nervous. His production the last 3 seasons has not been great.

In 2008-2009, he scored 30+ goals and 30+ assists.

The last 3 seasons, he has scored 36, 41 and 36 points, scoring 20, 22 and 19 goals and he has missed 10+ games every season the past 3 years.

Is he a 1 year wonder? I just hope Minnesota does not want a package for the the 2008-2009 Setoguchi. If not, he might be worth the risk. He played great with Jumbo Joe, he'd get a bunch of prime opportunities with Crosby or Malkin.

Von Malkin* is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 09:50 AM
  #93
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
Setoguchi makes me extremely nervous. His production the last 3 seasons has not been great.

In 2008-2009, he scored 30+ goals and 30+ assists.

The last 3 seasons, he has scored 36, 41 and 36 points, scoring 20, 22 and 19 goals and he has missed 10+ games every season the past 3 years.

Is he a 1 year wonder? I just hope Minnesota does not want a package for the the 2008-2009 Setoguchi. If not, he might be worth the risk. He played great with Jumbo Joe, he'd get a bunch of prime opportunities with Crosby or Malkin.
It's unlikely we get him anyway. Minnesota has strong wing prospects, but right now their top 6 could use Seto as much as ours. I was just pointing him out since he is one of the only reasonable targets.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 10:03 AM
  #94
mr sidney crosby
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 970
vCash: 500
Haven't been home for a week, whats happened over last week?

mr sidney crosby is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 10:22 AM
  #95
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
Haven't been home for a week, whats happened over last week?
absolutely nothing.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 10:31 AM
  #96
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 33,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
absolutely nothing.
actually Semin signed in Carolina and the sky fell in Pittsburgh

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
07-30-2012, 10:39 AM
  #97
mr sidney crosby
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 970
vCash: 500
QUOTE=Ogrezilla;53111641]actually Semin signed in Carolina and the sky fell in Pittsburgh[/QUOTE]

bobby ryan's still available. And Jose yohe said the penguins apperently offered shane doan a 4 year 24 million dollar contract. Hopefully doan signs and we have lines like this.

Doan-Crosby-Kunitz
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Adams-Vitale-Glass

mr sidney crosby is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 10:55 AM
  #98
SkullSplitter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 500
Edward & Bella broke up? From what I read on Cracked.com they had a weird baby that grew up instantly & feel in love with the werewolf dude, which was kind of creepy because she was just a day old.

SkullSplitter is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 10:56 AM
  #99
SkullSplitter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
absolutely nothing.

SkullSplitter is offline  
Old
07-30-2012, 10:57 AM
  #100
SkullSplitter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post

bobby ryan's still available. And Jose yohe said the penguins apperently offered shane doan a 4 year 24 million dollar contract. Hopefully doan signs and we have lines like this.

Doan-Crosby-Kunitz
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Adams-Vitale-Glass

What happened to Kennedy? & Isn't Doan a RW?

SkullSplitter is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.