HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

BUF-ANA (Bobby Ryan)

Old
07-30-2012, 01:24 AM
sba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Pominville is a better player than Ryan.
You'll probably get flamed for this comment, but you're right.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:47 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
You'll probably get flamed for this comment, but you're right.
They're at least close enough that I couldn't form a convincing argument against Pominville. However Ryan is younger. Other than that this ends up a completely subjective intangibles discussion.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:07 AM
McTank

This has just gotten ridiculous, I am actually afraid we might trade for Ryan rather than holing we will. These proposals just gut our team for a 60 point player. Pominville+Sekera+Adam and a 1st? Seriously?

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:43 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
This has just gotten ridiculous, I am actually afraid we might trade for Ryan rather than holing we will. These proposals just gut our team for a 60 point player. Pominville+Sekera+Adam and a 1st? Seriously?
I don't think you have to worry about. I doubt DR would move Pominville, especially after getting the C and having one of his best pro season of his career. Sekera on the other hand is probably an asset that would go somewhere in a signature move because of our depth, his ability and his very friendly contract. While HF may underrate him I'm assuming other GMs are aware of how solid he has become in all zones and situations. Personally Id love to see him paired with Myers moving forward but you have to give to get.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:48 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

correct me if Im wrong but I read people saying they'd give up Stafford, Pysyk+ and picks...? To me that sounds a bit overboard... Not sure what Murray wants back a whhole lot but still...

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:55 AM
HiddenInLight

This has got to be the most bi-polar thread I have ever seen between all of the "everyone on our team is worthless"'s and the "everyone on our team is as valuable as crosy"'s......quite entertaining.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
They aren't being overrated because of hunches/glimpses, they're being overrated because they're the only top nine centers this team has.
Yes, position depth is a different consideration. I was talking overall value. This team has done nothing for years and yet people still think there are players here worth protecting. It's sort of funny.

Now that we are apparently pretending that Pominville is better than Ryan, I will politely check out of this thread.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:29 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

If it's going to take more than sekera/stafford + pick + prospect (not armia, Grig or girgs), just mark me down to wait until next summer and go after a bigger free agent pool.

Pominville is about equal to Ryan on his own, and plays a bigger role on our team. Ennis and Hodgson are untouchable just because we have no centers. Sure, you have to give to get, but if you end up with 0-1 NHL centers on your team, what you get is screwed.

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:36 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

I trade Armia in a second for Bobby Ryan.

He's proven nothing on this continent. If he's the prospect to go with Adam and Stafford you do it.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Deevo

Adam, Stafford, Armia is a tough pill to swallow BUT I think I'd be okay with it. I can't see any reason for the Ducks to reject that offer, unless they really want to keep Ryan (which is a possibility), or want a dman in return.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Der Jaeger

I think Anaheim eventually comes off their requirement for a 2C coming the other way in a trade for Ryan. Howson reportedly wanted Stepan or Kreider, but got neither. How many teams are willing to part with young centers with top 6 potential? I'd say not many. It's probably why the Flyers dropped out of the running, reportedly.

The context of the situation has to be accounted for. If no one is going to give a 2C for Ryan, and Anaheim wants to trade Ryan, then Anaheim must change their demands. Or not trade Ryan.

For me, the real question centers around the internal relationship between Ryan and the Duck organization. If either party, or both, is committed to parting company, then that forces the trade hand a bit in terms of demand. We'll never know that though....

I predict that Anaheim eventually moves Ryan for a good package that doesn't include a true 2C.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:47 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
I trade Armia in a second for Bobby Ryan.

He's proven nothing on this continent. If he's the prospect to go with Adam and Stafford you do it.
I'm just not sure the difference between Stafford and Ryan is one of our 2 blue chip prospects. For all that gets said about Ryan's physicality, he didn't have many more hits counted last year that Staff. He's obviously been the more consistent scorer, but Staff's chemistry with Ennis has to work in his favor if we're penciling in Ennis as our 1C for next year. I'd be willing to add D/picks for Ryan, though
Is this maybe a scenario where a 3-team deal could actually work?
To Buffalo: Ryan
To Detroit: Sekera + 2013 3rd (Not sure if it should be Anaheim's or Buffalo's)
To Anaheim: Filppula + Stafford

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:59 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I'm guessing that Anaheim wants something like [Hodgson or Ennis], [Foligno or Armia], and a 1st for Ryan.

I don't see them having any interest in Vanek or Stafford.

And I don't see Regier wanting to pay that price to get Ryan.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Adam, Stafford, Armia is a tough pill to swallow BUT I think I'd be okay with it. I can't see any reason for the Ducks to reject that offer, unless they really want to keep Ryan (which is a possibility), or want a dman in return.
You mean except for the oft-speculated requirement that they receive a 2C in return, and none of those Sabres fit that bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I think Anaheim eventually comes off their requirement for a 2C coming the other way in a trade for Ryan. Howson reportedly wanted Stepan or Kreider, but got neither. How many teams are willing to part with young centers with top 6 potential? I'd say not many. It's probably why the Flyers dropped out of the running, reportedly.

The context of the situation has to be accounted for. If no one is going to give a 2C for Ryan, and Anaheim wants to trade Ryan, then Anaheim must change their demands. Or not trade Ryan.

For me, the real question centers around the internal relationship between Ryan and the Duck organization. If either party, or both, is committed to parting company, then that forces the trade hand a bit in terms of demand. We'll never know that though....

I predict that Anaheim eventually moves Ryan for a good package that doesn't include a true 2C.
The Nash and Ryan situations aren't analogous. Nash wanted out for awhile and the Jackets were trying to trade him for some time. They had to trade him this offseason and everyone knew it. Plus, Nash has a bad contract given the term and his recent production. Ryan has a very reasonable deal, both in term and money. He doesn't have to be moved, either. Not comparable situations.

Boston would do Krejci for Ryan yesterday, and the Ducks would get their 2C. The problem there is they want either Lucic or Dougie Hamilton, too, and that is a dealbreaker. I predict the Ducks and Bruins come to a compromise and Ryan goes to Boston for Krejci, and a good-not-great prospect like Knight or Spooner, and Anaheim gets their 2C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I'm guessing that Anaheim wants something like [Hodgson or Ennis], [Foligno or Armia], and a 1st for Ryan.

Agreed all the way around.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

Yep. It's awesome to have interest, but the assets in question... does it really improve them to ship out other youngsters when they are in this current mini-build? It doesn't seem like it fits.

07-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The Nash and Ryan situations aren't analogous. Nash wanted out for awhile and the Jackets were trying to trade him for some time. They had to trade him this offseason and everyone knew it. Plus, Nash has a bad contract given the term and his recent production. Ryan has a very reasonable deal, both in term and money. He doesn't have to be moved, either. Not comparable situations.
Pretty sure Ryan did ask out.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:08 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Pretty sure Ryan did ask out.
Ryan has grown sick of the rumors of him being on the trade block and basically said, if you are going to shop me, move me already. And if you can send me to Philly, that would be great.

It wasn't a "trade me right ****ing now!" type demand, though.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Ryan has grown sick of the rumors of him being on the trade block and basically said, if you are going to shop me, move me already. And if you can send me to Philly, that would be great.

It wasn't a "trade me right ****ing now!" type demand, though.
He's probably not going to be on the Ducks roster by training camp though; too big of a rift to ignore.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:26 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
He's probably not going to be on the Ducks roster by training camp though; too big of a rift to ignore.
I doubt they move him. They won't move him just to move him like the Jackets did with Nash.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:28 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
that would probably get it done but I would hesitate to pull the trigger on that one. That's 2 tier 1 prospects, a proven 30 goal winger, AND a 1st?? I like Ryan and Coliano is good too, but man....
I agree that isn't a move that sets us up very well. I think they're overvaluing him.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Duffer spent an awful lot of time talking the rumor on the Sabres official radio show today....

Old
07-30-2012, 11:33 AM
thomas vanek

I think some people on here have forgotten what the Rangers traded to get Rick freaking Nash. Albeit slightly different circumstances, but they didn't gut their team and I wouldn't expect whomever winds up with Ryan to have to tear their team apart for him either.

Stafford
Adam/Sekera
One prospect not named Grigs, Girgs, Armia
2013 1st

should get this done

And, there is no way they are including Hodgson and once again being painfully weak at center just so they can have another winger

thomas vanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:36 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ot-bobby-ryan/

Quote:
And if the cost of obtaining Ryan is to further weaken the blue line Ducks GM Bob Murray reportedly wants defensive help then such a trade makes even less sense.
That's interesting.

Myers and a 1st is probably what Murray wants in that case.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:42 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

That's interesting.

Well, if it's Myers or bust for Murray, he can keep dreaming, I guess. Because there's no way in **** a ~60 point winger is worth a young 1D.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:

That's interesting.

There is zero chance we trade Myers, we just gave him a $10,000,000 check a month ago.

If he wants D help you'ed think Sekera would be intriguing because he's so cheap. Stafford fills the hole left by Ryan, and Sekera is the D help... the first rounder because thats what you include in trades for better players...

Bobby Ryan time.