HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo to Columbus

Old
07-30-2012, 03:05 AM
Numbers

vCash: 500
Luongo to Columbus

Many people are saying that Luongo cannot be traded to Columbus because he will not waive his NTC to go there.

But in fact he can be be traded there even if he does not waive his NTC! Let me explain.....

Lou does not have a NMC, therefore Vancouver can put him on waivers. And guess what Columbus finished last place and will have first chance to pickup anyone on waivers. So Columbus can trade with Van by sending the necessary pieces through future considerations. Vancouver puts Luo on waivers and the deal is done. Obviously this would not look good for Gillis and will therefore most likely not happen. But it is an interesting scenario to consider and does give Gillis a little more leverage because he does have the right to do this.

Not sure the value that would come back to Van......Please feel free to post proposals.

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:11 AM
asdfman
Weeeee

Sorry, GMMG will not do something like that to a guy who has done so much good for the franchise. It's pretty much unthinkable

asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:12 AM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Many people are saying that Luongo cannot be traded to Columbus because he will not waive his NTC to go there.

But in fact he can be be traded there even if he does not waive his NTC! Let me explain.....

Lou does not have a NMC, therefore Vancouver can put him on waivers. And guess what Columbus finished last place and will have first chance to pickup anyone on waivers. So Columbus can trade with Van by sending the necessary pieces through future considerations. Vancouver puts Luo on waivers and the deal is done. Obviously this would not look good for Gillis and will therefore most likely not happen. But it is an interesting scenario to consider and does give Gillis a little more leverage because he does have the right to do this.

Not sure the value that would come back to Van......Please feel free to post proposals.
Having been badly burned by a player that does not want to be there just last season(Carter), I doubt Howson would want to take that risk on Luongo's life long contract. This time there may be no Lombardi to bail him out.

RedBaronIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:13 AM
HatTricK09

vCash: 50
It's an interesting scenario, but like the above post, I think doing this would really hurt the GM's reputation a lot

HatTricK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:15 AM
TMLOBI

I am pretty sure they can get something of value for Luongo. If they can't then they go into the season with a very good 1-2 punch in net. There is no way Luongo get's waived unless he goes like 0-15-0 with a 3.9 GAA and .847 save% or some crap like that to start the season...

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:15 AM
Intense Rage

I am sure the PA will file a grievance if this ever happens.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:18 AM
Hertl Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post

I am not sure the league would approve the trade for future considerations. The other problem is that trust to not screw over the other gm would also be a major issue. With your idea CLB and VAN could make the trade and then VAN can refuse to put Louongo on the waiver block thus getting a free trade. Or if it is done the other way VAN can put him on waivers expecting the trade and than CLB just picks him up without making the trade.

The closest that I know of something like this happening was with Dan Boyle in Tampa. He had a full ntc but no nmc so the gm/owners threatened to put him on waivers saying he would have gone to Atlanta (even though I believe LA was ahead of them on the waiver wire) or accept a trade to SJ.

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:50 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

I wonder if Luongo would rather be a full on starter on CBJ or a 1A/1B on the Nucks...?

Honest question. I do think he'd rather not go to a bottom 5 team but it would give him more ice-time. *shrug*

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:05 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Gillis could get away with doing something like that. Hey Philly did with Richards and Carter.

Vancouver is a nice place to live. Throwing their goalie to the wolves won't scare off any free agents. It'll just make players demand for a NMC if they sign with them.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:06 AM
RECsGuy*

The only team that can meet Gillis' apparently lofty demands without crippling themselves in the process or, at the very least, creating significant/irreversible hole(s) within its organization is Florida.

Luongo's NTC means he'll have final some control over where he goes.

Dale Tallon is interested in acquiring him.

Luongo's wish to play near his offseason home will come to fruition.

MG and DT will find a middle ground, though the Panthers' present lack of utter desperation in net may mean Gillis will have to make slightly more concessions than Tallon.

The hold-up is Gillis waiting until the very last moment (Oct. 12: eve of Florida's opening night [Oct. 13: home game, vs. their biggest rival {Tampa Bay}, Huberdeau debuts, and they raise their first SE Div. Champs banner to the rafters]; enough time for Luongo to make the start and the game to easily sell out) to see if Tallon reveals doubt in his goaltending, based on the preseason/training camp, and cracks (meets Gillis' demand/overpays).

Luongo will be a Panther in Florida's '12-'13 season/home opener.

Just have to wait 75 more days.

Last edited by RECsGuy*: 07-30-2012 at 04:13 AM.
RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:08 AM
asdfman
Weeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I wonder if Luongo would rather be a full on starter on CBJ or a 1A/1B on the Nucks...?

Honest question. I do think he'd rather not go to a bottom 5 team but it would give him more ice-time. *shrug*
Even if he honestly cared that much about ice-time, there would still be better options than a bottom 5 team in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Gillis could get away with doing something like that. Hey Philly did with Richards and Carter.

Vancouver is a nice place to live. Throwing their goalie to the wolves won't scare off any free agents. It'll just make players demand for a NMC if they sign with them.
Gillis is no Paul Holmgrem. Good GMs but on opposite ends of the spectrum

asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:25 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post

Yeah, great call.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:30 AM
canadianwingnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
Yeah, great call.

Luongo IMO doesnt have the room to be too picky where he plays right now. He's no longer wanted in Vancouver(??) and just should waive for any team willing to add pieces to the Nucks given he folded like a cheap lawn chair (debatable I guess but score was 4-0) in game 7 of the SCF 2011, and then sat on the bench for the last two or three games of last seasons playoffs. go ahead and lowball him though if you want Gillis. ^

canadianwingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:46 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfman View Post
Sorry, GMMG will not do something like that to a guy who has done so much good for the franchise. It's pretty much unthinkable
I was gonna say.. Luongo is supposed to be the consumate professional but Gillis would be willing to pull the rug out from underneath him and send him packing to a place of Luongo's (likely) least liking??

GordieHoweHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
I am sure the PA will file a grievance if this ever happens.
On what grounds? He has a NTC not a NMC the team is free to waive him.

Of course not something they want to pull while CBA negotiations are going on.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:08 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

Wow.. As a Columbus fan I would

like the city to have the opportunity to host him and show him some hospitality. I have relatives in BC so I know the beauty but if it is time for him to move, Columbus residents can reach any part of Florida in 1 hour, ha ha.

Bobby Lou playing for the CBJ would be a dream come true for our fans, unfortunately it wouldn't be for him.

JJ Wiz
Tin Tin
Aucoin Erixon

Moore, Savard, Murray

Luongo
Bob

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Esq.

You are probably correct in assuming that Gillis technically "could" do this to Luongo, but it won't happen for several reasons:

1. There would be no way for Vancouver to receive any return from Columbus. Columbus would grab Luongo off waivers and Vancouver would get nothing in return. If Gillis tried to make a separate "future considerations" trade, it would be nullified.

2. Gillis wouldn't do that to Luongo. It would be viewed as an unfair move by the fans and by other players who Vancouver would not like to turn away as free agents or in trades.

3. The NHLPA would object to this move and it would create unnecessary problems that the Canucks would obviously prefer not to deal with as the season approaches.

Gillis will continue trying to negotiate a deal with Florida, and failing that, Toronto. Perhaps Luongo would accept a deal to Columbus if he realizes his preferred options have fallen through. I'd actually love for the Blue Jackets to get Luongo. They have a solid defense already and a good goalie could really make their team a lot better.

Wisniewski - Johnson
Tyutin - Nikitin
Aucoin - Moore/Savard/Erixon/Murray

Luongo
Mason/Bobrovsky

That wouldn't be too bad!

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Because adding a player who's just been screwed over by abuse of what type of movement clause he has in his contract has worked so well for us in the past, right?

As much as I would like to have Luongo... no way. I'd rather try to get Theodore out of Florida after Lu heads down there.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:23 AM
veedubn1

The simple flaw in the OP is the deal for "future considerations".

The NHL would not approve a deal where a team that finished with the worst record in the league sends away players of value to one of the top teams in the league for "future considerations".

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:27 AM
kcunac

Wouldn't half of Luongo's salary count against Vancouver's cap?

kcunac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:43 AM
wiredmaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
The only team that can meet Gillis' apparently lofty demands without crippling themselves in the process or, at the very least, creating significant/irreversible hole(s) within its organization is Florida.

Luongo's NTC means he'll have final some control over where he goes.

Dale Tallon is interested in acquiring him.

Luongo's wish to play near his offseason home will come to fruition.

MG and DT will find a middle ground, though the Panthers' present lack of utter desperation in net may mean Gillis will have to make slightly more concessions than Tallon.

The hold-up is Gillis waiting until the very last moment (Oct. 12: eve of Florida's opening night [Oct. 13: home game, vs. their biggest rival {Tampa Bay}, Huberdeau debuts, and they raise their first SE Div. Champs banner to the rafters]; enough time for Luongo to make the start and the game to easily sell out) to see if Tallon reveals doubt in his goaltending, based on the preseason/training camp, and cracks (meets Gillis' demand/overpays).

Luongo will be a Panther in Florida's '12-'13 season/home opener.

Just have to wait 75 more days.
Agreed. Although I think Burke is making a big mistake by passing on Luongo.

wiredmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Intense Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
On what grounds? He has a NTC not a NMC the team is free to waive him.

Of course not something they want to pull while CBA negotiations are going on.
Most definitely, they are more than willing to waive him but do not expect the PA to be happy that the Canucks get assets from Columbus for doing so. It destroys the whole point of waivers, not to mention gives the team that ends up last a huge advantage as any player with an NTC is available to them for a trade. I am thinking neither Bettman nor the PA will be too happy with such a situation.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:02 AM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcunac View Post
That only happens when a player is claimed on re-entry waivers.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:09 AM
freakydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
Most definitely, they are more than willing to waive him but do not expect the PA to be happy that the Canucks get assets from Columbus for doing so. It destroys the whole point of waivers, not to mention gives the team that ends up last a huge advantage as any player with an NTC is available to them for a trade. I am thinking neither Bettman nor the PA will be too happy with such a situation.
They may not be happy about it but they are powerless to stop it.

Player X + picks (whatever from CBJ for luo) from Vancouver spare part mid level prospect( whatever from van to make the deal) next day Luongo goes on waivers to CBJ

As long as luongo is not in the original trade the league nor the pa can prevent a player from being waived.
I don't think it would ever happen because the player with ntc would be unhappy with his new team. What GM would invite that bad karma into a locker room.

freakydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcunac View Post
The OP is assuming that Luongo would get claimed on the way down. That equal full salary.

Vancouver would pay half if Luongo cleared waivers and then was claimed after being recalled from the minors.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote