Notices

Jamie Benn Offer Sheet

Old
07-25-2012, 12:42 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
It packs the same Stalin flavour without all the propaganda! Gee Wiz!

=o) on a serious note, yeah. I still don't like the Jankowski pick; pointless with Tuevo still on the table.
Lets wait and see how it plays out?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Volica

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Lets wait and see how it plays out?
Nah, I got tired of hearing "Let's get the best player available" weeks leading up to the draft.

I mean, I thought that was the point. Apparently not in Calgary; I really hope Janko makes me eat crow, I wish he would... but we're about half a decade away from ever finding out if he'll even be any kind of an NHLer... while TT was ready to go either this year or next... Makes me sad.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:59 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Nah, I got tired of hearing "Let's get the best player available" weeks leading up to the draft.

I mean, I thought that was the point. Apparently not in Calgary; I really hope Janko makes me eat crow, I wish he would... but we're about half a decade away from ever finding out if he'll even be any kind of an NHLer... while TT was ready to go either this year or next... Makes me sad.
Half a decade? Jesus your negative, the entire scouting department thought he was the best player available but I guess you know more than all of them combined right?

Old
07-25-2012, 01:06 AM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

vCash: 50
Quote:
Half a decade? Jesus your negative, the entire scouting department thought he was the best player available but I guess you know more than all of them combined right?
Gut feelings are the only kind of research that matters, man.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Volica

Quote:
LoL, the scouting department said that in ten years we'll be looking back and saying: Janko was the best player in this draft.

10 years is a bit much hey?

But by my calculations:
Providence College: 1 year probably
NCAA: 2-3 years
Any AHL/NHL tuning: 1-3 years

So, my bad, 4 years he'll maybe touch an ice surface. But I'm sure that first time he does he's going to be like a young Gretzky/Teemu Or you know, he might be like every other rookie in the NHL; start off a bit slow adjusting to the game.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:13 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
LoL, the scouting department said that in ten years we'll be looking back and saying: Janko was the best player in this draft.

10 years is a bit much hey?

But by my calculations:
Providence College: 1 year probably
NCAA: 2-3 years
Any AHL/NHL tuning: 1-3 years

So, my bad, 4 years he'll maybe touch an ice surface. But I'm sure that first time he does he's going to be like a young Gretzky/Teemu Or you know, he might be like every other rookie in the NHL; start off a bit slow adjusting to the game.
They said in 10 years he could be the best player in the draft not in 10 years he could make the team. He is probably 3-4 years away from making the team if we are being realistic but that doesn't mean that he couldn't be the best player in the draft. But you are right we should have taken TT after all he is already a 30-30 player at the nhl level.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:

I don't think your gonna see TT playing that soon. Maybe 2-3yrs min. He is also very young/very small. He is playing in a far superior league, but isn't NHL ready.

The way I look at it, (others disagree) is that we have two 1sts in 2013.. Janko will only be 18, and playing in the USHL next year. We can have a better/accurate assessment of him as a player at/around the upcoming draft. We really do have to be patient.

After watching him in almost every development scrimmage I was impressed. Very well could be a 1C in 4/5yrs. Then everyone will be singing praises that we have a 23yr old 6'3 / 200ish lb 1C.

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
The way I look at it, (others disagree) is that we have two 1sts in 2013.. Janko will only be 18, and playing in the USHL next year. We can have a better/accurate assessment of him as a player at/around the upcoming draft. We really do have to be patient.
Wait, what? Whose?

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:25 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Wait, what? Whose?
He's saying that Jankowski would arguably have been a high pick in 2013, so we would have him as well as out actual 2013 pick... in place of having a 2012 pick. I don't really understand the logic, but I think that's what he's saying.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
He's saying that Jankowski would arguably have been a high pick in 2013, so we would have him as well as out actual 2013 pick... in place of having a 2012 pick. I don't really understand the logic, but I think that's what he's saying.
Haha... I didn't really expect anyone to understand it...

basically what I'm saying is this:

If Janko's mother could have held him in a couple more days, he would be a 2013 draftee. I'm expecting him to put up good numbers in the USHL (hopefully better than girgensons) which would probably make him a 10-15 pick in 2013....

People judge the pick so much because of the league he played in. If he has a good first year at Dubuque it will almost be like having 2 - 1st round picks in 2013 (based on age.)

Yes it's confusing. Just another weird way to look at it.

Or just ignore my crazy post.

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:53 PM
The Gnome

Offer sheets are never worth it IMO. Bite the bullet, build from within, and earn/keep your respect with other GM's.

I feel for Nashville, that contract is pretty huge. Weber is worth the money. But for a team like Nashville, that really hurts the wallet thanks to Holmgren.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:59 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Offer sheets are never worth it IMO. Bite the bullet, build from within, and earn/keep your respect with other GM's.

I feel for Nashville, that contract is pretty huge. Weber is worth the money. But for a team like Nashville, that really hurts the wallet thanks to Holmgren.
Scott Stevens? Multiple times even. Petr Nedved, Tugnutt and Graves are the ones I think worth accepting.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:15 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Scott Stevens? Multiple times even. Petr Nedved, Tugnutt and Graves are the ones I think worth accepting.
I can always see exceptions. But as a general rule, I wouldn't do it. Benn is a great player, but not one of the greater talents of his generation.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Volica

Quote:
They said in 10 years he could be the best player in the draft not in 10 years he could make the team. He is probably 3-4 years away from making the team if we are being realistic but that doesn't mean that he couldn't be the best player in the draft. But you are right we should have taken TT after all he is already a 30-30 player at the nhl level.
Lol. I never said ten years he'd be playing. I literally wrote in ten years he'd be the best in the draft.

TT is already playing against men. And is very less likely to bust compared to Janko. He was the right pick. In Calgary we don't have the luxury of drafting four year projects because of the Sutter dynasty here.

I have a feeling it would be a Sven situation, where within seven months if he didn't make the roster, we'd all be anticipating his arrival like we did Sven.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:14 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
I can always see exceptions. But as a general rule, I wouldn't do it. Benn is a great player, but not one of the greater talents of his generation.
I can agree to that.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:37 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Lol. I never said ten years he'd be playing. I literally wrote in ten years he'd be the best in the draft.

TT is already playing against men. And is very less likely to bust compared to Janko. He was the right pick. In Calgary we don't have the luxury of drafting four year projects because of the Sutter dynasty here.

I have a feeling it would be a Sven situation, where within seven months if he didn't make the roster, we'd all be anticipating his arrival like we did Sven.
There is no "right" pick at this time because for all we know TT may never become anything, did we take a risk yes, Did I want Janko no, I am I willing to give the pick time to see how it plays out yes. Getting a more nhl ready winger isn't the best propest because we have Tanguay, Glencross, Hudler, Sven for the next 3-4 years and most likely Iginla as well where would he fit? Our wingers aren't desperate for young players so going for the more nhl ready prospect over the prospect our scouts felt would be the best player would be a mistake.

To put this in perspective TT had 18 points in 40 games his first year in SM-liiga while Markus Granlund had 34 points in 47 games although he was a year older.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:53 PM
calgaryflames1212

if flames fans are hoping to get benn.. its not by giving him an offer sheet thats gonna happen
they should trade for his rights and then sign him..

bouwmeester + 1st in 2013 for benn s rights.

calgaryflames1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Volica

Quote:
There is no "right" pick at this time because for all we know TT may never become anything, did we take a risk yes, Did I want Janko no, I am I willing to give the pick time to see how it plays out yes. Getting a more nhl ready winger isn't the best propest because we have Tanguay, Glencross, Hudler, Sven for the next 3-4 years and most likely Iginla as well where would he fit? Our wingers aren't desperate for young players so going for the more nhl ready prospect over the prospect our scouts felt would be the best player would be a mistake.

To put this in perspective TT had 18 points in 40 games his first year in SM-liiga while Markus Granlund had 34 points in 47 games although he was a year older.
I'm never going to be able to make you even consider any point because of your super fandom. You may also want to check out TT's faceoff stats, and the fact Jokerit was moving him to full time center this year... Or better yet watch this kid (like I have) play against men. Or the fact he was ranked, mostly, within the top 10 and 20; while Janko found himself mostly very late first round or middle of the second round (I forget TSN's rankings, wasn't he like right near Sieloff? Like middle of the second round?)

Also, when you try and make a point... please think about it for a few minutes: Markus Granlund was playing with who again? Oh yeah, arguably the best player outside NA; his brother.

I'm done arguing about this though; no point at this time anyway, we're stuck with what we have... Silver lining, I love Sieloff.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:28 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I'm never going to be able to make you even consider any point because of your super fandom. You may also want to check out TT's faceoff stats, and the fact Jokerit was moving him to full time center this year... Or better yet watch this kid (like I have) play against men. Or the fact he was ranked, mostly, within the top 10 and 20; while Janko found himself mostly very late first round or middle of the second round (I forget TSN's rankings, wasn't he like right near Sieloff? Like middle of the second round?)

Also, when you try and make a point... please think about it for a few minutes: Markus Granlund was playing with who again? Oh yeah, arguably the best player outside NA; his brother.

I'm done arguing about this though; no point at this time anyway, we're stuck with what we have... Silver lining, I love Sieloff.
Super Fandom? Because I realize that draft picks take time? Because I am willing to allow time to pass before passing judgement good or bad? Because I know that TSN rankings have been wrong in the past such as having Leland Irving rated above Simeon Varlamov or James Sheppard over Claude Giroux. Yea I wish we had James Sheppard.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=3784

Old
07-28-2012, 02:23 AM
Northern Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtommyt View Post

I expect we'd recoup some 1sts by trading Jbo, Iggy and Kipper over the next few years. Benn allows us to do that and remain competitive at the same time.
We get rid of our better players, and remain competitive just because of Benn?

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:51 AM
RA9

vCash: 883
Quote:

you want a player that can make a impact now, the flames wanted a guy who can make a bigger impact in a few years. Jankowski is a risk but I would at least wait a year or two before saying we should have drafted someone else, when neithet have proven themselves.

Also giving away 4 first rounders would be useless, even for Jamie benn. 4 firsts>>> jamie benn

RA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:25 AM
jtommyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Heat View Post
We get rid of our better players, and remain competitive just because of Benn?
Not all at once, and not necessarily all 3 guys... But we can't just ride these 3 guys forever either.

With good NHL talent in the mix outside of those 3 we'll have a much better chance to remain competitive when they do leave.

jtommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:38 AM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryflames1212 View Post
if flames fans are hoping to get benn.. its not by giving him an offer sheet thats gonna happen

You're not actually serious are you?

nogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:46 AM
SvenBartschi27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
In 4 years, he'll be halfway to being the best player in the draft.

Right? Right?
No we well only be 4/10ths of the best player or 2/5ths reduced but yeah he is getting there

SvenBartschi27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:48 AM
SvenBartschi27

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryflames1212 View Post

That could be Nathan Mackinnon and this draft is very deep surprised people would actually trade their 2013 pick in order to get an asset. This draft is the next 2003.

SvenBartschi27 is offline   Reply With Quote