HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Question re Forwards Role in loss to NJ

Old
07-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Cuiff

vCash: 500
Actually if you consider how much time the devils spent in the flyers end the fact Bryz let up 3 or 4 goals a game is rather good.

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
No, see. It's different. Here, he's clearly supporting Bryz? I think? Whereas in the other threads every single player on the roster is total garbage who should be traded for half their weight in chewed poop. So...like...stuff. And then we win.

I don't know.
yeah.
this.
I think

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:05 PM
rban*

Yeah the inability to break out of a zone is not SOLELY the failure of puck moving Dmen, tho they bear a big share of the blame.

It's also the fault of backchecking forwards and gap ctrl tween forwards and defense.

My impression is the whole team royally cr(pped the bed against NJ. Not just the defense. Everyone.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:48 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Forwards were hurt. The other forwards were young.

Plus we emotionally blew our load on the Penguins. If you've ever had your "championship bout" in round one when playing sports, you know what I mean.

The biggest factor though was the shredded paper that was our defense being held together by paperclips, glue, and Coburn.

They took advantage of a hurt defense and an inexperienced forward core. Given another opportunity and a healthy roster? I say we take them. I'm particularly unafraid of them now without Parise.
Parise was hardly the difference in that series. There are at least 5 other Devils that had a bigger role in winning that series for NJ.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:49 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Parise was hardly the difference in that series. There are at least 5 other Devils that had a bigger role in winning that series for NJ.
That series was when I decided Henrique should probably win the Calder over Read.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:20 AM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
if Marty was solid, then Bryz was great. Yes, Marty handled most dump-ins, but he gave us about 5 golden turnovers with stickhandling mistakes, and we got a few easy goals as a result. he was certainly outplayed by Bryz. Our goalie was the only reason we even had a chance vs NJ
Bryz outplayed Marty? LOL. That's an instant classic.
You also forgot to blame the rookies.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:47 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
wait I thought it was all Lavi's fault?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Marty was decent in the series. Without Bryz playing well, we would have been absolutly demolished.

Bryz was pretty solid. There is only so much you can do when you give up 15 scoring chances a game.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:48 PM
DrHamburg

If you think bryz was the problem you are absolutely kidding yourself. Our forwards were atrocious getting the puck in deep. Defense was awful getting the puck out.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:48 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
wait I thought it was all Lavi's fault?
The failure to counter what NJ was doing, actually the failure to even try, is definitely all his fault. It's hard to lay blame on the forwards when their coach failed to even make an attempt to adjust in the series.

Bill Barbers answer to a poor power play was to "work hard, work hard, work hard."

Old
08-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Bryz outplayed Marty?
clearly. did you actually watch the games & saw how much time NJ spent in the Flyer's zone & how many chances they had ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Marty was decent in the series. Without Bryz playing well, we would have been absolutly demolished.

Bryz was pretty solid. There is only so much you can do when you give up 15 scoring chances a game.
all it takes is watching the games to see you are 100% correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
If you think bryz was the problem you are absolutely kidding yourself. Our forwards were atrocious getting the puck in deep. Defense was awful getting the puck out.
totally agreed. Bryz did his job. the Team D did not. and to keep on topic: the forwards did not maintain enough O zone pressure, dumped it in too much & did not play well in the Flyers zone.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
The failure to counter what NJ was doing, actually the failure to even try, is definitely all his fault. It's hard to lay blame on the forwards when their coach failed to even make an attempt to adjust in the series.

Bill Barbers answer to a poor power play was to "work hard, work hard, work hard."
That answer seems insufficient on its own, since the Flyers PP was ranked 19th and then 28th during Barber's head coaching tenure. In Lavi's 2 full years, the PP has been 19th and then 6th. They were 3rd in his half year.

You think Lavi wasn't pushing the team to work harder? It's also not like adjustments would have made much difference. When 8 of 12 starting forwards are injured and 4 of 6 starting Dmen are injured, adjustments won't help. Magical voodoo healing powers would be required.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 08-03-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 12:29 AM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
clearly. did you actually watch the games & saw how much time NJ spent in the Flyer's zone & how many chances they had ?

all it takes is watching the games to see you are 100% correct

totally agreed. Bryz did his job. the Team D did not. and to keep on topic: the forwards did not maintain enough O zone pressure, dumped it in too much & did not play well in the Flyers zone.
You're probably one of those people that thinks since Bryz faced more quality chances, and didn't let in 5 or 6 in any one game, he must have outplayed the opposing goalie.

Marty had a save % of something close to 96% in the third period of playoff games this past year. It's not all about the number of chances faced, but what is equally or more important is the number of soft goals allowed, and goals that come at bad times and completely demoralize the team (Clarkson batting in that stellar attempt at stick handling by Bryz).

Bryz let in more soft goals in that series, and a couple others that weren't soft, came at the worst possible time. When you consistently make the big saves late in the game when your team is leading or the game is tied, and don't allow more soft goals than the other goalie, you outplay him. Marty clearly outplayed Bryz in the series, and it's not even close.

Old
08-04-2012, 08:43 AM
FlyerX

Jersey read off each other extremely well. The Flyers were skating to the puck, Jersey was skating to where the puck was going. They also supported the puck much better. If you go into a one-on-one board battle knowing that you don't have to win it, just hold on until your puck support arrives, and you know it will get their before the opponent's, you control the boards. The Flyers got outplayed front-to-back, they just weren't ready for Jersey.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
You're probably one of those people that thinks since Bryz faced more quality chances, and didn't let in 5 or 6 in any one game, he must have outplayed the opposing goalie.

no, I'm one of those people with eyes who saw that Bryz was the only Flyer to show up period 1, game 1 vs NJ & did his job that series. unlike the Forwards & team D.

Quote:
Marty had a save % of something close to 96% in the third period of playoff games this past year. It's not all about the number of chances faced, but what is equally or more important is the number of soft goals allowed
Bryz had a better save % in 2nd periods vs NJ, single-handedly keeping the Flyers in those games. It's not all about the number of chances faced, but what is equally or more important is the number of key saves Bryz made, especially on the road vs NJ that gave the Flyers any chance of coming back

Bryz clearly outplayed Marty & it's not even close & he did so with very little to no help from his forwards in either zone, which is what this thread is about: the Forwards Role in loss to NJ

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:34 AM
FlyingHigh13

Yeah, just gotta face it sometimes. It seemed like everytime there was a puck battle that NJ came out with the puck, no matter what side of the ice. That is why the flyers lost. BTW if marty and bryz switched places, the flyers would have gotten ABSOLUTELY CRUSHED. Definately swept.

FlyingHigh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 05:49 PM
toughfighter83*

the problem with team is that there's no grit and the way they play, they are always passing and not shooting, there's always weak wrist shoots and no slap shots, it makes goalies great.

so the only way this team will ever be cup winners if they get more grit and setting up slap shots and not weak wrist shots,

i hate to say this but that's what LA has and what the flyers dont have right now.

you have to play dirty and smart to win, this team is nothing like that, the whole team doesnt show up like they want to play to win.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Dude, what?

Every team is using wrist shots now. Every team. Better sticks have made wrist shots a good option. More slapshots isn't going to fix it. LA won a Cup off Carter's wrist shot, not the forwards firing one-timed slapshots.

I also don't know how you watched the Penguins series and didn't see grit. It's also hard to play with grit when 8/12 forwards are injured, and several require surgery.

Old
08-08-2012, 07:11 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Dude, what?

Every team is using wrist shots now. Every team. Better sticks have made wrist shots a good option. More slapshots isn't going to fix it. LA won a Cup off Carter's wrist shot, not the forwards firing one-timed slapshots.

I also don't know how you watched the Penguins series and didn't see grit. It's also hard to play with grit when 8/12 forwards are injured, and several require surgery.
the penguins were overated, they were soft, which made the flyers beat them easy, the devils were better than the flyers, injuries are lousy excuse, they outplayed them every game, they were hungrier than the flyers, it is what this team is, you dont want to accept that, actually no one does, it's common sense they havent won a cup in 37 years,

they always find ways to lose, unless there's a change in philosophy like getting a better coach/gm, a roster that's committed to winning, there's no way this team will win a cup.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Injuries aren't an excuse. They're a reason.

I like how the team we beat are soft, and the team that beat us isn't. How exactly did you judge that? Interesting how that works. How is it that a "soft" team kept throwing cheap shots, engaged in brawls, injured several players?

Old
08-08-2012, 08:17 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
the penguins were overated, they were soft, which made the flyers beat them easy, the devils were better than the flyers, injuries are lousy excuse, they outplayed them every game, they were hungrier than the flyers, it is what this team is, you dont want to accept that, actually no one does, it's common sense they havent won a cup in 37 years,

they always find ways to lose, unless there's a change in philosophy like getting a better coach/gm, a roster that's committed to winning, there's no way this team will win a cup.
Exactly right. Top excuses are, rookies, injuries, Bryz, Leighton, Pronger, and Carle. We beat an obviously overrated Pitt team and just plain got beat by a better team.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:57 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Injuries aren't an excuse. They're a reason.

I like how the team we beat are soft, and the team that beat us isn't. How exactly did you judge that? Interesting how that works. How is it that a "soft" team kept throwing cheap shots, engaged in brawls, injured several players?

they were soft against the devils because they kept skating back and not hitting/forechecking them off the puck, they kept letting them in their own zone and not going after puck which led to so many scoring chances in their own end and they couldnt generate any offense including defensive mistakes as well, it was the same against the rangers, which is why they got swept.

this team is not built like the rangers or the devils, they are bigger, have more size/grit/talent, that's why the devils beat the rangers because they were hungry and hitting them all over the ice, they werent backing off, like it or not, the flyers need more size/grit to win.

like i said injuries are no excuse, if you dont have the players to win it, then they are clearly not the better them which is why the devils eliminated them.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

I've brought this up before, and you've always ignored it: Simmonds, Hartnell, Talbot, Fedotenko, Giroux, Schenn, Voracek, Rinaldo, Sestito/Shelley...those guys don't play with tenacity and grit? You act like we're the Canadiens.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:47 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
I've brought this up before, and you've always ignored it: Simmonds, Hartnell, Talbot, Fedotenko, Giroux, Schenn, Voracek, Rinaldo, Sestito/Shelley...those guys don't play with tenacity and grit? You act like we're the Canadiens.

that's why this team hasnt won a cup in 37 years because the team never shows tenacity and grit, it's always lazy, sloppy plays every lousy year. they show up one game and crap the other, they never show the energy of what it takes to win, if they played like the way they played against the penguins all the way to finals, they'll probably win it but they never do it, why? i dont know, money? not caring? i have no idea,

i have seen this team play for 15 years, i'll never seen any hunger in these players, they always find ways to lose, never win it.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
that's why this team hasnt won a cup in 37 years because the team never shows tenacity and grit, it's always lazy, sloppy plays every lousy year. they show up one game and crap the other, they never show the energy of what it takes to win, if they played like the way they played against the penguins all the way to finals, they'll probably win it but they never do it, why? i dont know, money? not caring? i have no idea,

i have seen this team play for 15 years, i'll never seen any hunger in these players, they always find ways to lose, never win it.
Wow, not sure what else to say. You have to be the most negative and demanding poster on these boards when it comes to this team. This being a Philadelphia board, that's quite an accomplishment. Cheers.