HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Luongo to Columbus

Old
07-30-2012, 11:24 AM
veedubn1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredmaverick View Post
Agreed. Although I think Burke is making a big mistake by passing on Luongo.
Burke is making a big mistake by not destroying his prospect pool for a goalie in his early-mid 30's?

If it was MacArthur + Ashton + a 3rd I'd be OK with it... but I have a hunch Gillis wants a 2013 first + a top prospect ... which is very unreasonable.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:36 AM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
Yeah, great call.

That would not have happened in Philly... Richards just doesn't have it anymore and can't match up against the centers in the East.

It was a great move for The Flyers... Girouix or Richards.. who'd you rather have?

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:43 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 2238
Columbus then trades Luongo to Chicago at the deadline and the blackhawks eliminate Vancouver in round two....

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:47 AM
kcunac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
The OP is assuming that Luongo would get claimed on the way down. That equal full salary.

Vancouver would pay half if Luongo cleared waivers and then was claimed after being recalled from the minors.
Thanks. Of course.

kcunac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:03 PM
ChesapeakeRipper
Tres Comma Club

vCash: 0
Gillis wouldn't do it. It would hurt his reputation and it would hurt Vancouver's future FA signings if they pull out this move. No one would ever come and sign with the Canucks knowing this is possibility of it happening to them. Also, its unjust.

If it does go through, I'm sure Luongo and his agent will file for grievance. No doubt about it. NHL will probably nullify/reverse this trade (or waiver claim).

not easy as you think OP.

ChesapeakeRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:09 PM
rockinghockey

If I am VAN if he is not willing to move to more than a few places I keep him and make him the back up. I am sure that he will change his mind quick when he is sitting on the bench.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:13 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

What would Columbus fans be willing to move for Luongo anyways? Disregarding the scenario of the OP, if they could convince Luongo to play there, what would they be willing to offer?

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:14 PM
rockinghockey

I don't understand why FLD would give anything for him, they have one of the top prospect goalies coming up and then Lou will just be going through this all over again. Lou has at least 5 yrs left in him.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:17 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Luongo will go to the KHL before he accepts being screwed over in a fashion anywhere near to this proposal.

And he's not going to the KHL, so put two and two together.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:22 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I don't understand why FLD would give anything for him, they have one of the top prospect goalies coming up and then Lou will just be going through this all over again. Lou has at least 5 yrs left in him.
I can see why Florida would do it. Markstrom is probably 3 or 4 years away from being an NHL starter, assuming that he even makes the jump successfully. In the meantime they upgrade their goaltending and get a great mentor for Markstrom. If Markstrom pans out then you have the luxury of having two good goalies for the 5th and 6th year of Luongo's contract or can use the outs in Luongo's contract to trade him. Florida won't overpay but I can definitely see why they would be interested instead of waiting to see how Markstrom develops.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:24 PM
CrazyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
The OP is assuming that Luongo would get claimed on the way down. That equal full salary.

Vancouver would pay half if Luongo cleared waivers and then was claimed after being recalled from the minors.

I don't see him getting put on waivers, so it is kind of pointless to discuss, but; were he sent down and not claimed I don't see him being brought back up until the off-season when he can be without that worry. No way VCR is paying half his cap hit/salary for the rest of his contract. It would never happen.

Also, There is no way Chicago or Toronto would not claim him if they could have him for nothing.

CrazyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Henrik To Daniel

This is actually a very interesting scenario. Too bad it won't happen because if it did Gillis would be fired immediately.

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Gillis has too much respect for Luongo to do that to him

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Rydgar

Never going to happen but I appreciate the creativity in the proposal.

Rydgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJ View Post
I don't see him getting put on waivers, so it is kind of pointless to discuss, but; were he sent down and not claimed I don't see him being brought back up until the off-season when he can be without that worry. No way VCR is paying half his cap hit/salary for the rest of his contract. It would never happen.

Also, There is no way Chicago or Toronto would not claim him if they could have him for nothing.
Luongo for free? There'd be a few more teams in on that action I think. Luongo has way too high an asking price given his contract and the CBA negotiations centered around lifetime contracts. I can see Columbus, Edmonton, Tampa, Toronto, Chicago, and Florida wanting to claim him for free and I'm sure quite a few others could have interest.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Cogburn

I don't see why there is hostility on either side.

Columbus is an improved team, and would be even more so with Luongo in net. Defense is set, forwards have been spun around due to the Nash trade, but I feel the team is more complete and more ready to compete. Bob and Mase aren't looking super ready to lead the team to me, yet anyway, but playing between 30 and 50 games each can push them. Getting Luongo would be a huge boon, assuming it wasn't the farm being asked, and could even aid either, or both, in becoming star goaltenders themselves, ala Schneider. Look at St Louis for a recent example of "let the kids play" and "star goaltender" working out well.

Canucks fans bashing Columbus saying "we'd never send him there!!"...where would we send him? Toronto is that much better? At least with Columbus, they've made the playoffs once since the lock out. With Columbus, he'd be a bonfide starter, have a solid defense in front of him, and may even see the playoffs. Like Toronto. Better prospects being off limits, Murray and Johanson specifically I'm sure, Anisimov+Erixon+ would be a better package if we're after futures then most teams are offering now. Dubinksy is as good a centerpiece as Kulemin in my eyes. And he stands just as good a chance to see post season success as he does in Toronto.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:40 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I don't see why there is hostility on either side.

Columbus is an improved team, and would be even more so with Luongo in net. Defense is set, forwards have been spun around due to the Nash trade, but I feel the team is more complete and more ready to compete. Bob and Mase aren't looking super ready to lead the team to me, yet anyway, but playing between 30 and 50 games each can push them. Getting Luongo would be a huge boon, assuming it wasn't the farm being asked, and could even aid either, or both, in becoming star goaltenders themselves, ala Schneider. Look at St Louis for a recent example of "let the kids play" and "star goaltender" working out well.

Canucks fans bashing Columbus saying "we'd never send him there!!"...where would we send him? Toronto is that much better? At least with Columbus, they've made the playoffs once since the lock out. With Columbus, he'd be a bonfide starter, have a solid defense in front of him, and may even see the playoffs. Like Toronto. Better prospects being off limits, Murray and Johanson specifically I'm sure, Anisimov+Erixon+ would be a better package if we're after futures then most teams are offering now. Dubinksy is as good a centerpiece as Kulemin in my eyes. And he stands just as good a chance to see post season success as he does in Toronto.
My problem with this: Why would the Jackets trade the majority of the players we got for Rick Nash for Luongo?

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
My problem with this: Why would the Jackets trade the majority of the players we got for Rick Nash for Luongo?
Fair enough. I was using two scenarios involving three of the assets acquired as examples. TBH I'm not sure who is available, only who wouldn't be.

Old
07-30-2012, 01:47 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I can see why Florida would do it. Markstrom is probably 3 or 4 years away from being an NHL starter, assuming that he even makes the jump successfully. In the meantime they upgrade their goaltending and get a great mentor for Markstrom. If Markstrom pans out then you have the luxury of having two good goalies for the 5th and 6th year of Luongo's contract or can use the outs in Luongo's contract to trade him. Florida won't overpay but I can definitely see why they would be interested instead of waiting to see how Markstrom develops.
I think most people disagree with that statement. Everyone except for Vancouver fans seem to think Markstrom is 1-2 years away. He played 32 games in the AHL this year with great stats as well as 7 games in the NHL this year with great stats. He's been considered one of the top top goalie prospects in the world for a few years, and will be 23 this upcoming season.

Rask became a starter at age 23 and then lost it to a Vezina/Conn Smyth winner.
Price became a starter at 20.
Fleury became a starter at 20.
Schneider was already playing like a starter and splitting the role at 24-25, while Markstrom would have Theodore to share duties with at that age.

That's a comparison to similarly highly touted/highly drafted goalie prospects who actually maintained their good play after being drafted. So why do you expect Markstrom to not become a starter until he's 26-27 and then still need another 1-2 years after that of sharing the crease with Luongo? Effectively not becoming a fully fledged starter until the age of 28-29?? When other goalies of similar pedigree became starters at his current age or younger?

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Numbers

Quote:
You wouldn't. I think one piece such as Dubinsky or Anisimov would be included + a 1st + a lower end prospect not named erxison. Luo would be great for Columbus advertising to fans and with a decent defense + Luo they actually could make the playoffs. When you think about it with Luo Columbus would have more marquee players then Phoenix and they went to WCF.

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I think most people disagree with that statement. Everyone except for Vancouver fans seem to think Markstrom is 1-2 years away. He played 32 games in the AHL this year with great stats as well as 7 games in the NHL this year with great stats. He's been considered one of the top top goalie prospects in the world for a few years, and will be 23 this upcoming season.

Rask became a starter at age 23 and then lost it to a Vezina/Conn Smyth winner.
Price became a starter at 20.
Fleury became a starter at 20.
Schneider was already playing like a starter and splitting the role at 24-25, while Markstrom would have Theodore to share duties with at that age.

That's a comparison to similarly highly touted/highly drafted goalie prospects who actually maintained their good play after being drafted. So why do you expect Markstrom to not become a starter until he's 26-27 and then still need another 1-2 years after that of sharing the crease with Luongo? Effectively not becoming a fully fledged starter until the age of 28-29?? When other goalies of similar pedigree became starters at his current age or younger?
You also leave out the Raycrofts and the Masons, who started early, and very promising, and then faltered due to rushed development. Every goalie is different, and while I don't think Markstrom is far away, a year or two more of development would help more then hinder. If Tallon thought it was 3-4 years off, he wouldn't have signed Clem or Theo to short term contracts.

Old
07-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
You wouldn't. I think one piece such as Dubinsky or Anisimov would be included + a 1st + a lower end prospect not named erxison. Luo would be great for Columbus advertising to fans and with a decent defense + Luo they actually could make the playoffs. When you think about it with Luo Columbus would have more marquee players then Phoenix and they went to WCF.
I'd want to keep the pick if I'm Columbus. Ansimov or Dubi and someone to fill a hole in our roster is a good start for me, the first probably means more the Columbus then to us.

Old
07-30-2012, 01:52 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I'd want to keep the pick if I'm Columbus. Ansimov or Dubi and someone to fill a hole in our roster is a good start for me, the first probably means more the Columbus then to us.
What holes are in your roster?

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
What holes are in your roster?
A top six playmaking winger for Kesler.

A replacement 2 C that is a better 3 C when Kesler's recovered.

A top 4 RHD, or at least that can play the right side.

Futures are a plus, but again, knowing the big future names are off limits, I'm unsure who is there and available outside of probably the top 5 prospects.

EDIT: Oh, and a 3rd/4th line guy that can hit, fight and take a regular shift.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
That would not have happened in Philly... Richards just doesn't have it anymore and can't match up against the centers in the East.

It was a great move for The Flyers... Girouix or Richards.. who'd you rather have?
Wait what?

He doesn't have it anymore and can't match up against the centers in the East huh? But he can do it in the West?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote