HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Everything Scott Gomez: The Official Discussion

Old
07-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

vCash: 500
I'm hoping they are waiting to see how the CBA plays out and decide how to best deal with him then. Can they really keep him onboard for another year hoping for a 40point season?

He might be tradeable to a team trying to hit the salary floor as his caphit is greater than his salary over the next 2 years.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Miller Time

with our cap where it's at (6.3M$) and Subban still left to sign (4-5M$), we're looking at ~2M$ in cap space if Gomez doesn't get buried and we don't land Doan or someone else (Arnott?).

manageable, to be sure, so if we aren't adding any other players this summer, might as well give him a chance to earn a roster spot. but I really hope that he's treated as a random player, and if some young guys outshine him in camp, then his butt starts (and ends) the year in Hamilton.

If he does make the team, assuming its on merit, then who knows, maybe he manages not to completely suck, starts producing at a decent clip in a top-9 role, and shows enough to get some team to come calling willing to take him off our hands.

Cole - Pleks - Gionta
MaxPac - DD - Bourque
Gomez - Eller - Armstrong
Moen - White - Prust
Noke

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
with our cap where it's at (6.3M$) and Subban still left to sign (4-5M$), we're looking at ~2M$ in cap space if Gomez doesn't get buried and we don't land Doan or someone else (Arnott?).

manageable, to be sure, so if we aren't adding any other players this summer, might as well give him a chance to earn a roster spot. but I really hope that he's treated as a random player, and if some young guys outshine him in camp, then his butt starts (and ends) the year in Hamilton.

If he does make the team, assuming its on merit, then who knows, maybe he manages not to completely suck, starts producing at a decent clip in a top-9 role, and shows enough to get some team to come calling willing to take him off our hands.

Cole - Pleks - Gionta
MaxPac - DD - Bourque
Moen - White - Prust
Noke
I don't like that lineup but I'll defer to others who want to eviscerate it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:14 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Demers View Post
I'm hoping they are waiting to see how the CBA plays out and decide how to best deal with him then. Can they really keep him onboard for another year hoping for a 40point season?

He might be tradeable to a team trying to hit the salary floor as his caphit is greater than his salary over the next 2 years.
No and no. He is not at all tradeable, he'd be on the first flight out of Montreal if that was the case. Nobody wants him. Teams can actually sign productive players for the same cap hit, there is no reason for anyone to take on a player that scores a goal every year.

I don't think they're waiting on the current CBA either, there's either compliance buyouts or not. Doesn't change anything by waiting. The habs can go 10% over the cap in the offseason. That's basically Gomez entire salary.

They are keeping him because it makes the most sense fiscally for a team that just finished 3rd last. Burying him, buying him out ect isn't even being consider imo.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I don't see a lot of options sadly.

Bergevin could trade picks/youth to get better vets (no thanks).

He could sign one of the few short-term solution (Kostitsyn, Huselius) or Doan who will most likely be looking for a multi-year, $5M+ contract. Not a fan of either solutions.

Or he could stay put and let the young guys develop, keep his multiple picks in 2013 and add more depth to the prospect pool.

You see people in line-up trade suggesting we trade one of our black sheep roster player and a low pick for a much better roster player... Nobody's gonna bite for that. Nobody will take Bourque and a fifth for a better roster player. Nobody's going to give you their Edlers or Hedmans for Kaberle and a 3rd. I'm not saying we're stuck with those guys but... Most likely, we're stuck with those guys. Not that they aren't serviceable. But they were a big part of our last place finish, and no team will take on the multiple years, high salaries with the hope they bounce back. Maybe if they do well early on, they'll have value at the deadline. But as it stands right now, my opinion is that there's only one place in the league where they can prove their worth and it's in Montréal.

The roster is meh but at the same time, I'd rather hope and pray our sucky players have a bounce back year, our good players get better and the things that went well for us last year keep going well than try and go for big move while sacrificing our future just for an 8-10th place finish.

I'm absolutely not talking about tanking here, let it be clear. Just smart management. There's no hurry at this point. No need to get tied up in more bad contracts. No need to ship away a Beaulieu or a Tinordi for a stop-gap.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Dont Poke Subban
Fall is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

Cole - Pleks - Gionta
MaxPac - DD - Bourque
Moen - White - Prust
Noke

has cole ever played LW before? bourque a RW before? because im not sure if wingers can just switch sides. i know C's can play wing.

but anyway, i truly believe that gomez will be with the big club this season. i just dont see him get buried in the ahl, bought out or traded.

with that said, as much as i dont want to break up maxpac-dd-cole line, i think we need to bump dd for gomez. the guy desperately needs wingers like those two. i mean nothing will change if gomez plays bottom 6 minutes or with bottom 6 guys.

maxpac-gomez-cole. our new american line. i really hope they try this. gotta give him top 6 wingers. i mean the management has to do whatever it takes to make that 7million worthy.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Since the habs are interested in Shane Doan, and judging by his market value at this point, I tend to think that the habs will dump gomez into the minors if they really need the cap space. But the way things stand right now, I'd be shocked if gomez is not on the pro roster.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:06 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagielski41 View Post
has cole ever played LW before? bourque a RW before? because im not sure if wingers can just switch sides. i know C's can play wing.

but anyway, i truly believe that gomez will be with the big club this season. i just dont see him get buried in the ahl, bought out or traded.

with that said, as much as i dont want to break up maxpac-dd-cole line, i think we need to bump dd for gomez. the guy desperately needs wingers like those two. i mean nothing will change if gomez plays bottom 6 minutes or with bottom 6 guys.

maxpac-gomez-cole. our new american line. i really hope they try this. gotta give him top 6 wingers. i mean the management has to do whatever it takes to make that 7million worthy.
Both Cole and Bourque have played both wings. I know Cole has, since playing with the habs, seemed better on the right side. Not sure about which side Bourque is strongest tho.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Gomez was good when he had hair. Maybe he just needs to grow it back..

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
I don't see a lot of options sadly.

Bergevin could trade picks/youth to get better vets (no thanks).

He could sign one of the few short-term solution (Kostitsyn, Huselius) or Doan who will most likely be looking for a multi-year, $5M+ contract. Not a fan of either solutions.

Or he could stay put and let the young guys develop, keep his multiple picks in 2013 and add more depth to the prospect pool.

You see people in line-up trade suggesting we trade one of our black sheep roster player and a low pick for a much better roster player... Nobody's gonna bite for that. Nobody will take Bourque and a fifth for a better roster player. Nobody's going to give you their Edlers or Hedmans for Kaberle and a 3rd. I'm not saying we're stuck with those guys but... Most likely, we're stuck with those guys. Not that they aren't serviceable. But they were a big part of our last place finish, and no team will take on the multiple years, high salaries with the hope they bounce back. Maybe if they do well early on, they'll have value at the deadline. But as it stands right now, my opinion is that there's only one place in the league where they can prove their worth and it's in Montréal.

The roster is meh but at the same time, I'd rather hope and pray our sucky players have a bounce back year, our good players get better and the things that went well for us last year keep going well than try and go for big move while sacrificing our future just for an 8-10th place finish.

I'm absolutely not talking about tanking here, let it be clear. Just smart management. There's no hurry at this point. No need to get tied up in more bad contracts. No need to ship away a Beaulieu or a Tinordi for a stop-gap.
bingo...

if MB can find his way to a bold move that sees us add an established elite caliber player who is brought in to be a long-term solution, great... but short of that, better to see a GM with some patience, deal with the crappy $$ he has tied up in mediocre veterans as best he can but no rush to waste assets on short-term holes.

stop-gaps for short-term problems should come at little or no cost, and have little long-term risk on our end, Gainey/Gauthier never mastered that part of asset management but hopefully MB has that one figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
beggars can't be choosers... it will take a few years before the god-awful asset moves from the previous regime(s) are properly dealt with. Until then, MB (or whomever would have won the job) has his work cut out for him, walking around with ~15M$ utterly wasted cap space.

Quote:

- i'm pretty sure Cole played mostly at LW prior to this year

- it would be crazy to demote the young, improving playmaking centre for the old, declining playmaking centre... though I would not be shocked to see DD be more productive than Gomez is/would be if lined up with weaker wingers, I'm also pretty sure that we'd see a considerable drop off from that line if Gomez replaced him.

the only way I see Gomez playing in the top-9 at C, is if the team decides that Eller is to be a winger for us moving forward, and we run something like this:

Eller - Pleks - Gionta
MaxPac - DD - Bourque
Cole - Gomez - Armstrong

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:57 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post

Gomez was good when he had hair. Maybe he just needs to grow it back..
He wasn't so bad for the Habs when he wore #91 either so he should go back to #91 AND grow his hair back..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Teufelsdreck

I'm not hopeful about the outcome. The Habs are in a hole because of his contract.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:04 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
He wasn't so bad for the Habs when he wore #91 either so he should go back to #91 AND grow his hair back..
Gomez was good when he was with the Devils...maybe he should go back there too!

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:11 PM
De Montreal
help

Gomez is still a top 15 center in the NHL and people here will be eating crows when he scores 80 points* next year.

* If there's a season

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:17 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Top 15 for what? Fashionably dressed millionaires?

I know, I know.. Top 15 NHL player who got a hole in one? Or was it Top 15 fly fisherman in Alaska?

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Valois

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Top 15 for what? Fashionably dressed millionaires?

I know, I know.. Top 15 NHL player who got a hole in one? Or was it Top 15 fly fisherman in Alaska?
Joking aside he's easily a top 15 center within the habs system.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:11 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post

Gomez is still a top 15 center in the NHL and people here will be eating crows when he scores 80 points* next year.

* If there's a season
id even have a hard time reaching 80 points playing be a pro with gomez in nhl 2012....

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
id even have a hard time reaching 80 points playing be a pro with gomez in nhl 2012....
That probably says more about your NHL 12 skills because he rocks in that game

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:36 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
That probably says more about your NHL 12 skills because he rocks in that game
Actually i never played with him. I usually remove him from the line up to be honest.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:05 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valois View Post
Joking aside he's easily a top 15 center within the habs system.
Joking aside?

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post

* If there's a season
Something happened to Scott. I don't hate the person for it, but I can't say I'll be too thrilled to have him start the season in Montreal in October.

Was the problem with how he was being used? I would have to say yes. But he missed so many chances last season. Every other game last season he missed the net by feets. As far as a top 15 center, I don't see where you see this. the guy scored 2 goals last season. 2. And it's not like he only had one bad season plagued with injuries. He's had like 3 bad years in a row now.

Check it out.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

Gomez ranked 136th. Ok so he only played half the season. let's double his points as if he played the full season and see where he ranks. So we will give him 22 points instead of 11. He'd still rank 100th. That's not even close to a first line center.

How can you expect to be a top team if your top paid center can barely score 20 goal in 3 seasons? Not only can he not score, his line mates don't score either. He doesn't even average 0.45 assists a game in his last 3 years in Montreal and he had a lot of PP time.

Gomez is also not very physical. He can take a hit but he won't be that physical presence on the ice or give a punishing body check to change the momentum in a game.

I understand that the team has few options. They have a contract with him and if they can't trade him, then I guess I would try to find a way to get him to find his game back. If he ever turned back into a 20 goal, 50 assist season, then he might be helpful to the team and can help win games. But if is stats continue the way they are now, I'd rather see Plekanec, Desharnais or Eller play any day than him.

Desharnais ranked 20th amongst centers in his first full season in the NHL under a what I consider to be a crappy coach/system. I would rather see Desharnais play over Gomez any day..

Plekanec averages 60 points a season in his last 3. Gomez averages 36. Not only does Plekanec contribute more on the score board, he is your best center to kill penalties. Again, why would you play Gomez over Plekanec?

So it's up to Gomez to try his best to keep a top two spot on the roster. Because for a 7.3M cap hit, he's useless on the 3rd line.. I'd rather see Eller or Leblanc on the 3rd line.

And for the record. I think the Habs will struggle next season without a center who can put up 80-90 points. I don't think Plekanec can produce in the range. So I hope Desharnais can do it. But if he can't the Habs will have to look for someone who can. Will it be Gomez? at this point, I doubt it...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:21 PM
jwolf

Quote:

They're paying out his 4.5 or 5 mil (whatever it is) and carrying the 7.3 mil against the cap no matter what. Shoehorn-ing him into a line where he doesn't belong doesn't make sense for the team at all. Management's only mandate is to make the team successful. If he shows that he can center a top-2 line at camp (no matter who his wingers are), then fine - go with it. If he's the same Gomer from last season, well... he better get used to the pressbox. Either way, Gomez will decide where he plays next season. Period.

Personally, I think he should consider reinventing himself as a veteran, character player. Maybe dedicate himself to being a face off or pk specialist with some leadership. I'm just spit-balling here, but it might be the only way he is able to stay in the show and make a contribution.

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Chris G

No chance in hell Gomez plays this season, it's a distraction to the team and organization. It will be one horrible move if that's what Molson allows Bergevin to be stuck with. It will hinder his moves incredibly, (cap space, roster spots, team morale). And Therrien has not been too kind in the words hes had for Gomez on Anitchambre. Overall I doubt he plays this season with the habs. His trial season was done last year when he had no place in the top 6, and couldn't even produce against some of the weaker lines in the league. Get rid of the greasy ****

Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:17 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
No chance in hell Gomez plays this season, it's a distraction to the team and organization. It will be one horrible move if that's what Molson allows Bergevin to be stuck with. It will hinder his moves incredibly, (cap space, roster spots, team morale). And Therrien has not been too kind in the words hes had for Gomez on Anitchambre. Overall I doubt he plays this season with the habs. His trial season was done last year when he had no place in the top 6, and couldn't even produce against some of the weaker lines in the league. Get rid of the greasy ****
Why is he greasy?

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:34 PM
jw2

The most the Habs can get out of Gomez is playing him, really. Trade wont get you anything. Sending him to the minors means you are paying $10 over 2 years for a minor leaguer, while your NHL team still sucks. Gomez isnt holding Montreal back from being a good team or from being a contender. Perhaps someone is desperate enough at the deadline to acquire an underperforming Scotty. Or, who knows, maybe he puts up 60 points, but he's not going to do that playing with status-quo 4th liners.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote